• Published 17th Dec 2023
  • 362 Views, 0 Comments

The True Meaning of Starlight - SaburoDaimando



Starlight Glimmer always wanted to make her mark on the Christmas celebrations of New Ponyville, until she accidentally toppled the giant Christmas Tree. Inspired by a Very Minty Christmas.

  • ...
 0
 362

The True Meaning of Starlight Part 6

The True Meaning of Starlight Part 6

“Wanda. Wanda, are you alright.”

Wanda Young woke up in the middle of a field of snow. Standing above her were Zipp Storm and Minty, who looked concerned for her.

“Zipp? Minty?” Wanda said. “Where's Starlight? What happened?”

Minty silently pointed to the right, where the downed hot air balloon stood next to a lake frozen by a sheet of ice. Right next to it, a depressed Starlight looked down at the lake.

“Starlight,” Wanda said as she got up.

“If you're wondering how we got here,” Zipp explained, “We were this close to being rescued when that blasted storm blew your hot air balloon right at us, knocking us away from the rescue team. I can only hope they're alright.”

“Thanks for the information, Zipp,” Wanda said. “But now, I think a certain pony needs some tender loving care.”

Wanda Young walked up to Starlight Glimmer, who had her head turned away. She sat down next to the twin-tailed mare and placed her arm around her.

“You alright, Starlight?” Wanda asked.

“No,” Starlight cried. “You were right. It is my fault and now…I think we're stuck here…forever.”

As Starlight cried into her hooves, Wanda kept her arm placed around her unicorn friend.

“Starlight,” Wanda said. “Now is not the time to make yourself feel bad. All I care about is your well-being. Nothing more, nothing less. And who cares whose fault it is.”

“Wanda,” Starlight said as she sniffles. “Please step back.”

“Starlight,” Wanda said. “I was trying to cheer…”

“That's not why,” Starlight said as she began to inhale violently. “Here comes a big one.”

Wanda quickly got up and ran back from Starlight Glimmer, who huffed and puffed as she was on the verge of sneezing.

“EVERYONE DUCK!” Wanda yelled. “SHE'S GONNA SNEEZE!”

Zipp Storm, Minty and Wanda ducked down as Starlight's inhaling reached a peak. She sneezed so powerfully that it sent her flying into the air, screaming loudly as the ice above the lake shattered to pieces.

“STARLIGHT!” Minty yelled as she looked up.

Starlight Glimmer screamed loudly as fell downwards before she crashed into the freezing waters below. Wanda's eyes shrunk down as she saw Starlight pop her head out of the water and struggled to keep afloat.

“HEEEEEEELP!” Starlight yelled. “THE WATER'S TOO COLD!”

“HOLD ON, STARLIGHT,” Wanda shouted as she got up. “I'M COMING!”

“WANDA, WAIT!” Zipp yelled as she reached.

“DON'T WORRY!” Wanda yelled to Zipp as she ran towards Starlight. “MY NANOTECH CLOTHES HAVE SOMETHING TO KEEP ME WARM IN THE ICE COLD WATER!”

Wanda tapped her ring as she ran towards Starlight, who struggled to stay afloat. Wanda’s winter coat transformed into a full body wet suit that covered every part of her body, except her face.

“I get it now,” Zipp said. “That nanotechnology you made for your clothes.”

Without a second thought, Wanda leaped into the air and dove into the ice cold water. She swam towards Starlight Glimmer, who looked like she was slowing down in her flailing of her arms.

“Wanda,” Starlight said as she began to tire. “I…can't…stay…afloat.”

Starlight lost consciousness before she slipped under the surface of the water. Seeing this, Wanda dove underneath, leaving Zipp and Minty to watch helplessly.

“Starlight,” Minty cried. “Will she be alright? Will Wanda be alright?”

“I don't know about Starlight,” Zipp said. “But I think I've figured out Wanda's nanotech clothes. Lets just hope she can get to her in time.”

Underneath the water, Starlight struggled to keep her eyes open as she sunk down towards the bottom. Holding her breath, Wanda swam up to Starlight Glimmer in a hurry.

Before Starlight's eyes closed completely, Wanda grabbed her hoof and began to pull her up, swimming towards the surface of the water.

With a loud splash, Wanda reached the surface of the water, bringing Starlight close and holding tightly onto her.

“We can make it, Starlight,” Wanda shouted. “We can make it.”

Wanda Young pulled the unconscious Starlight Glimmer as she swam to shore. Despite the harsh cold of the water, the wet suit that surrounded Wanda kept her protected as she swam around the ice that floated on the lake.

At long last, Wanda pulled Starlight Glimmer to shore and placed her on the snow. She immediately pushed on Starlight's lungs ten times before blowing into the mare's mouth

“Come on, Starlight,” Wanda cried as she pushed on the pony's lungs. “Don't give up on me.”

As Wanda continued to push on Starlight’s lungs before breathing into her mouth, Minty turned towards Zipp Storm before she cried right into her chest, causing Zipp to pat Minty on the head with a solemn look on her face.

“Please let her be alright,” Minty cried. “Please.”

Wanda continued to press on Starlight’s chest ten more times before she breathed into her mouth once more. But as Wanda’s mouth moved away, Starlight coughed up a good amount of water out of her mouth before her eyes slowly opened up. She held herself tight, shivering as Minty opened her eyes to see Starlight suffering.

“Wha,” Starlight said as she quivered. “What happened?”

With no time to waste, Wanda got up on her two legs before she tapped her ring. Her wet suit shined brightly before it shapeshifted back into a winter coat that covered her body, arms, and legs.

“You almost drowned, Starlight,” Wanda said as she turned towards the sheets of the hot air balloon. “But you’re at risk for hypothermia. There’s one thing I can do.”

Wanda held her hand up as a spark emerged from her finger. She fired it off at the hot air balloon before it swiped to the side, cutting into the fabric of the downed balloon. Wanda directed the spark to cut a square shape out of the fabric. As it fell from the balloon, Wanda held her hand back, directing the fabric to her before it touched her hand. Then she reached down and wrapped Starlight Glimmer in it, until only her head and shoulders were exposed.

“How does that feel, Starlight?” Wanda asked.

“Feels…a bit tight,” Starlight said.

“As long as you stay warm, you’ll be alright,” Wanda said as she picked Starlight up. “The thermal energy coming out of the nanobots of my dress will help keep you warm.”

“Thanks….Wanda,” Starlight said as she barely smiled back at Wanda.

Minty and Zipp Storm walked up to Wanda and Starlight, the former two looking down at the twin-tailed mare.

“Starlight,” Minty said. “I’m glad you’re alright.”

“Wanda,” Zipp Storm said. “I didn’t know your nanotech dress could do something like that.”

“Oh not only can the nanobots in my dress provide heat and cold-resilience, but they’re also waterproof,” Wanda said. “It was a science project that I did and I won first place.”

“Does that also allow you to cast magic like what you did?” Zipp asked.

“Not really,” Wanda said. “I was born with that ability, along with the ability to generate wings from my back and fly. But right now, we should focus on finding shelter and staying put until help arrives.”

But as Wanda finished speaking, Minty tapped her shoulder and pointed to the northwest.

“Wanda,” Minty said. “What is that red-glowing light?”

Wanda looked at the light to see three figures approach them. One looked like a giant yeti, but without any teeth. One looked like a human that was bigger than Wanda, dressed up for the cold and had a moustache and a beard. The third looked like a deer, except with antlers on his head and a shiny red nose.

“Wait a minute,” Wanda said, pointing to the deer. “I know who he is.”

“You do?” Minty asked.

“Yeah,” Wanda said. “Princess Celestia read the story of this legend to me and Sunset Shimmer when we were younger. His name is Rudolph. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.”

As Wanda held the shivering Starlight Glimmer close to her, Rudolph walked up to the group with the human and yeti by his side.

“Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, I presume,” Wanda asked.

“And you must be Princess Wanda Young,” Rudolph said.

“I am,” Wanda said. “But I have a problem with my friend Starlight Glimmer. She’s…”

“Suffering badly from hypothermia, I take it,” The human said as he reached over to Starlight and placed his hand over her head.

“Yes sir,” Wanda said. “I’m using the heat generated from my clothes and this blanket to keep her warm.”

“You don’t need to call me sir,” The human said. “Names Yukon Cornelius. The greatest prospector of the North Pole. You’ve already met Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and the giant snow creature is the Bumble. But we have no time to waste. If your friend is to survive, we’re going to have to take you guys to Santa’s Workshop.”

“Santa….” Minty said. “As in thee Santa Claus?”

“Oh you better believe it,” Yukon Cornelius said. “But enough with the talking. Come on. I’ll have the Bumble escort you to Santa’s workshop.”

Wanda looked up at the Abominable Snowman before she walked over to him with Starlight in her arms. The Bumble picked up Wanda and held both her and Starlight close. Starlight let out a small sneeze before Wanda picked up a piece of the balloon cloth that was hanging around Starlight’s torso, and wiped Starlight’s nose with it.

“We’re all set, Mr Cornelius,” Wanda said.

“Then what are we waiting for?” Zipp Storm said. “Off to Santa’s Workshop.”

Though the storm above was treacherous, the Bumble carried Wanda and Starlight in his arms before he turned around and made his way to the northwest. Behind him, Zipp Storm, Minty, Rudolph and Yukon Cornelius followed from behind without a second to waste.

Through the field of snow, trees and rocks that lay before them, the abominable snowman made his way through, carrying Wanda and Starlight close to him. Yukon Cornelius stood by the Bumble, keeping his eyes out on any light in front of him. Rudolph kept his nose bright, as to guide everyone through the snow tonight. Zipp and Minty stood together by Rudolph, Cornelius and the Bumble.

But it wasn’t long until they happened upon a large mansion in front of them, with a number of houses that surrounded the giant building. Snow-covered pine trees decorated the landscape, complete with lights and other yuletide ornaments.

“I don’t believe it,” Wanda said as she peeked her head above the arms of the yeti. “That must be Christmas town.”

“Oh it is,” Yukon Cornelius said. “A beautiful sight in the land of winter.”

“And Santa Claus is expecting you four,” Rudolph said.

“He’s expecting us?” Minty said.

“Indeed,” Rudolph said. “Come with me.”

The group followed Rudolph as he made his way down Christmas town. The little elves popped out of their houses to see Princess Wanda Young, Princess Zipp Storm, and Minty. But their eyes were focused on Starlight Glimmer, who continued to shiver in the arms of the Bumble and in the care of Wanda.

Once Rudolph made his way to the entrance to the toyshop, he approached the large door that was bigger than the Bumble and rang the doorbell, just as everyone stood behind him.

“It won’t be long,” Rudolph said. “Santa knows not to keep anyone waiting.”

“If I told mom that I met Santa Claus, she would think I’m weird,” Zipp Storm said.

“But it’s Santa we’re talking about,” Minty said. “I’ve waited my whole life to meet him.”

The door opened slowly as a jolly old man with a white beard, and a red suit emerged from the house. Minty took one good look at him and she looked like she was on the verge of yelling in excitement.

“You’re….you’re…” Minty said.

“Santa Claus,” Wanda said as she jumped off the abominable snowman, holding Starlight Glimmer.

“That would be me,” Santa Claus chuckled. “And I was aware that you four would be coming unexpectedly. Welcome to Christmas town.”

“We are,” Wanda said. “But right now, my friend Starlight Glimmer is in bad shape after she fell into a cold lake.”

“Oh dear,” Santa said as his tone turned from delight to worry.

Santa placed his hand on Starlight Glimmer’s head, who let out a small sneeze.

“San…ta?” Starlight said as she struggled to keep her eyes open.

“There’s no time to waste,” Santa said. “Come inside. I’ll call an old associate of mine to cure her of hypothermia, and another thing that ails her.”

As soon as Santa ran into the workshop, Wanda held Starlight Glimmer tight as she made her way inside. Pipp, Minty, Rudolph, Cornelius and the Bumble followed the human girl into the workshop before the door closed behind them.

Inside, Wanda, Zipp, Minty and even the weak Starlight were in awe over the interior of the workshop. The lighting was a warm orange glow that filled the interior. There was a christmas tree in front of them with a variety of colors among its lights and ornaments. A toy train ran among the rails near the twenty foot ceiling. Many elves talked amongst each other, but one elf with a briefcase, a reindeer doe, an elderly human woman that was the same size as Santa, and even a large man with a long nose, a white beard, and white blue robes and cap approached the group.

“This place is amazing,” Minty said. “I always wanted to see Santa’s workshop. But even my own dreams pale in comparison to this place.”

“Well this is my own personal workshop, Minty,” Santa said. “For the time being, mi casa es su casa.”

Rudolph saw as the reindeer doe walked up to her before nuzzling her nose on his gently.

“Rudolph,” the doe said. “How did the search go?”

“A bit worse than I expected, Clarice,” Rudolph said as Clarice pulled her head back. “Some new friends of mine are worried for the well being of one of their own after she fell into a lake.”

“Oh that is horrible,” Clarice said. “Someone needs to get her some hot cocoa to warm her body up.”

“Don't you worry,” Santa said. “An elf is on the way with a cup of hot cocoa for Starlight Glimmer.”

Santa Claus walked over to a nearby bench and signaled to Wanda, who walked over with Starlight in her arms, all while Rudolph and Clarice stood by each other. Wanda set Starlight down on the bench and sat her up. Starlight just looked up in amaze of her surroundings as the elf and two humans approached them.

“Santa, dear,” The woman said. “What happened?”

“It’s a crisis, honey,” Santa said. “This poor pony fell into the nearby lake and is suffering from hypothermia.”

“Not just hypothermia,” The taller human said. “But also the Windigo Cold.”

“The what?” Wanda asked.

“It’s a rather odd curse that appears every year in one unlucky individual,” Santa said before directing his hand to the taller human. “My old friend, the Winter Warlock has studied this odd phenomenon.”

“Just call me Old Man Winter,” The Winter Warlock laughed as he pulled a potion out from his robe. “Every winter, one person, be it human, pony, or otherwise, is infected with the Windigo Cold. The primary symptom is a powerful sneeze that can shake the earth or blow objects down.”

“Blow…objects…down?” Starlight asked.

“Yes,” The Winter Warlock said. “But the patient’s powerful sneezes are random. So the next time he or she sneezes, they won’t know when.”

“That explained why Starlight was able to topple the tree,” Zipp Storm said. “It’s because of that stupid Windigo Cold.”

“It gets worse,” The Winter Warlock said as one of the elves brought over a cup of hot cocoa. “It’s said that when that person has the Windigo Cold, said person becomes the target of a tempest winter storm. And this storm doesn’t let up once anyone has the curse, until it is cured.”

“Well that explains the sudden appearance by that tempest winter storm,” Zipp said. “It all makes sense. Both the curse and storm are connected by magic.”

The Winter Warlock picked up the cup of hot cocoa and poured the contents of the potion into it. He handed the cup to Starlight Glimmer, who pulled her upper hooves out and picked up the cup.

“So this…cold…I have…and the storm….we were in…are connected?” Starlight asked.

“Yes,” The Winter Warlock said. “And the contents of that potion that I poured in is the exact cure you need to rid yourself of the Windigo Cold. Plus it will help warm your body up.”

Starlight Glimmer took a sip of the hot cocoa and swirled it in her mouth before swallowing it. Her eyes closed with delight as her smile came back.

“Mmmm,” Starlight said. “Tastes like marshmallow.”

“A little something of mine to help the patient enjoy her cure,” The Winter Warlock said before he took a bow.

“Thanks, Mr Winter,” Wanda said. “After what Starlight’s been through, she deserves to finally be out of that mess. Though I am still worried about her.”

“Worried?” The elf with the briefcase asked. “It’s because of what happened in New Ponyville?”

“You said it, Mister,” Minty said. “And it wasn’t even her fault. I gave her the job of delivering socks to other pony’s houses to help celebrate the holiday.”

“And it’s a commemorable job,” the elf said. “By the way. Call me Hermey. Or rather: Dr Hermey DDS.”

“Wait,” Minty said. “You’re a dentist?”

“That’s right,” Hermey said as he placed his briefcase down on the floor before pressing a button.

In an instant, the briefcase opened up before it transformed into a full functioning dentist chair, complete with tools for checking teeth, and a water fountain for rinsing out mouths and cleaning hands.

“Neat,” Zipp said. “We never had anything like that in New Ponyville.”

“It’s a little invention I made to help out with my skills in oral hygiene when I’m on the go,” Hermey said. “Sometimes, when the patient can’t get to the dentist, the dentist goes to them.”

“Oooh,” Minty said as she ran up to the chair. “I wanna try it out.”

“Be my guest,” Hermey said.

Minty got up on the dentist chair and sat down comfortably in it. Hermey went up to the wash station and turned on the faucet. Warm water poured out of it as Hermey reached his hands over and allowed the water to soak into it.

“The best part about this water?” Hermey said. “There’s a built-in purification system to eliminate all unhealthy bacteria and chemicals, allowing it to become natural once more.”

As Hermey scrubbed his hands down in the sink, Minty sat there, patiently but also anxious.

“I’ve had a dental check-up many times,” Minty said. “But never like this.”

“Oh don’t you worry,” Hermey said as he turned off the faucet before putting on a pair of latex gloves. “In or out of the office, it’s a routine that is tried and true to the very core.”

Minty laid back on the chair before she opened her mouth. Picking up a dental mirror and a dental explorer, Hermey looked inside Minty’s mouth before scanning her teeth.

“Hmm,” Hermey said, observing Minty’s teeth. “Aside from some obvious food particles, your teeth do look stunning. I take it you don’t eat as many sweets.”

As Hermey pulled his tools back, Minty closed her mouth before she said “I do. But I keep that in moderation.”

“And that’s a good thing,” Hermey said. “It’s not a good thing to be eating all those baked goods, candy and cookies all the time. Otherwise, you will get a nasty toothache.”

Minty laid back and opened her mouth once more before Hermey checked out her teeth once more. Nearby, Starlight continued to sip her cocoa as Wanda, Zipp, Mrs Claus, Cornelius, the Warlock, Rudolph, Clarice and Santa looked on.

“It was only yesterday that Hermey was ostracized from the other elves for his dreams of becoming a dentist,” Santa said. “But ever since he was given the approval by me and the Head Elf, Hermey has come a long way as a dentist.”

“Actually, I've heard of Hermey's legacy as a dentist,” Zipp said. “He won a number of awards from the Earth Dental Association for his outstanding work.”

“Right you are, Princess Zipp,” Santa said. “I'm proud of the accomplishments that Hermey and especially Rudolph have earned. But back then, I was doubtful of their own dreams.”

“You were doubtful, Santa?” Starlight asked.

“Oh I was,” Santa said. “And I still regret how selfish I was during Rudolph's time as a fawn. How I saw his bright nose as a serious flaw.”

“Rudolph's nose?” Wanda asked.

“Oh yes,” Santa said. “I desired to see the reindeer of the North Pole grow up and become the greatest among the world. But I saw Rudolph's bright nose as a flaw that was imperfect. Oh how foolish I was to neglect poor Rudolph. Had I not realized how his nose was what made him who he was, I would have had to cancel Christmas on that very night. Ever since then, I have been remorseful for what I did and chose to embrace flaws as who we truly are.”

“I am glad that Santa did see that my nose is what makes me who I am,” Rudolph said. “But I kinda wish he dialed it a bit on his humbleness towards Mr. It is a bit embarrassing.”

“Wow,” Wanda said. “I didn't know you nearly let your own pride get the best of you.”

“It's true,” Santa said. “We're not all perfect. In fact, looking back at what I did, it reminded me of what happened to a certain Mayor of Somber Town. One that I chose to forgive, despite his misgivings.”

“What kind of misgivings?” Wanda asked.

“That is a tale that cannot be told unless Old Man Winter shows it to you “ Santa said.

The Winter Warlock pulled out a snowball from the pocket of his robe and held it into the air. The lights around the group dimmed, and the snowball lit up until it filled the entire room, causing everyone to close their eyes.

When everyone opened them up, they were in the middle of a dark and dreary bedroom, with an old, overweight man in bed with a soldier standing next to him.

“Where are we?” Wanda asked.

“A specialized hologram that I had preserved that told the final tale of Sombertown’s bitter mayor: Burgermeister Meisterburger,” The Winter Warlock explained. “For many years, Burgermeister lorded over its people, even going as far as to outlaw toys due to his prejudice against their existence, and against anything that is fun. He even made Santa Claus, who was once known as Kris Kringle, an outlaw for delivering toys. So he went into hiding and changed himself into who you know today so that he can deliver the toys across the world. But one day, Santa discovered a revelation within Sombertown that required his attention. Even in spite of it being a trap, Santa went anyway.”

Immediately, the door slowly opened up as a young man with orange hair and a red suit made his way in. This caught the attention of Wanda and the other ponies.

“Is that who I think it is?” Zipp asked.

“That was me,” Santa Claus said. “When I heard about what was going on with the Burgermeister, I chose to come back to Sombertown to pay him a visit. Though thanks to the Winter Warlock, he was able to change my form temporarily into how I looked back then, back when I was Kris Kringle. It was there I discovered a harsh truth about the Burgermeister.”

As Kris Kringle made his way into the room, he took one good look before the soldier approached him, though with his weapon to the side.

“Grimsley,” Kris Kringle said before he pulled out a letter. “I got here as soon as I got Burgermeister’s letter. What happened?”

“I’m afraid the Burgermeister is on his last legs,” Grimsley said. “Come this way.”

Kris Kringle followed Grimsley over to the bed where Burgermeister laid there. The old grouch turned his head towards Kris Kringle, and his mean eyes turned sad.

“Kris Kringle,” Burgermeister said. “I never thought I would say this….but I’m glad to see you again.”

“The feeling’s mutual, Burgermeister,” Kris Kringle said before he turned to the side and coughed a few times.

“Burgermeister,” Kris Kringle said. “You’re sick, are you?”

“Worse,” Burgermeister said, turning his head away in shame. “Ever since I made you a wanted criminal for all the toys you sent to the girls and boys, I dedicated nearly every amount of money into ensuring that you were re-arrested, alongside your conspirators. But what I didn’t realize was how I made Sombertown an even worse place than before.”

“I guess that when Sombertown had no money left because of your campaign against me, people went hungry,” Kris Kringle said.

“Oh and to make things worse, the King was furious when he heard about my vendetta against you,” Burgermeister explained. “As a result, he cut off all funding against Sombertown, stating that until I gave up on my obsession, Sombertown would not receive a single coin.”

“This is awful,” Kris Kringle said. “All this because I chose to give the kids of Sombertown a means to be happy.”

“My disdain for happiness has always been within the blood of a Burgermeister,” Burgermeister said. “And as a result, my pride has brought down Sombertown to the point where no one was happy. Some wish that turned out to be when all it does is make you far more bitter….resentful….and on death’s bed.”

“No one deserves to lose their happiness, Mr Burgermeister,” Kris Kringle said as he reached into the pocket of his suit. “Not even you. I have no clue on how you were raised to be who you were. But what I do know is even you deserve a little happiness.”

Burgermeister paused for a moment, staring at the pocket that Kris Kringle stuck his hand in. When Kris pulled it out, there was a yo-yo attached to it. Kris held out the yo-yo to the Burgermeister, who slowly, but surely picked it up.

“A yo-yo,” Burgermeister said in a somber, but happy tone. “Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted a yo-yo. But my father told me that toys, fun and happiness was the root of all evil. To finally be able to hold a yo-yo for the second time in my life.”

With a slight smile on his face, Burgermeister Meisterburger spun the yo-yo as it rolled up and down. The old man let out a slight chuckle, seeing the yo-yo spin.

“Sir,” Grimsley said. “You are breaking your own law with that yo-yo.”

“It’s okay,” Burgermeister said, holding up his hand in front of Grimsley. “It’s because of that foolish law that I made Sombertown too miserable….even for my liking. And it looks like I’m not long for this world. Grimsley. Write this down as my final decree.”

“Very well, Lord Burgermeister,” Grimsley said as he pulled out a parchment paper and pen.

“It’s a difficult responsibility,” Burgermeister stated as Grimsley wrote down on the parchment. “From the final statement from the number one lawmaker, me. Have it known throughout the land, from sea to sea, toys are now legal once more, and anyone who was wrongfully thrown in the dungeon for possession has been officially pardoned, including the former fugitive Kris Kringle and his cohorts. There will once again be toymakers for the king.”

“It is done,” Grimsley said as he finished writing on the parchment. “I will tell the townsfolk that toys are now legal once more, and that everyone is officially pardoned for owning a toy, including the toymaker Kris Kringle and his cohorts.”

“Then the burden has finally been lifted off my shoulders,” Burgermeister said as he looked at the yo-yo in his right hand. “The suffering that all of Sombertown has gone through will end.”

“Burgermeister,” Kris Kringle said. “I’m sorry it had to come to this. I only wish you knew happiness when you were a child.”

“So do I, my former foe,” Burgermeister said as his voice weakened. “But…we all must live with the consequences of our actions. Promise me this….ensure that you keep those full of joy and hope.”

“I will,” Kris nodded.

With a smile on his face. Burgermeister Meisterburger placed the yo-yo down as he laid back down on his bed and his eyes began to close.

“It’s a lesson that I learned too late…and it has ended the legacy…of the Burgermeisters,” Burgermeister said. “But at least…I chose to….make amends…for all the suffering….I caused.”

With his last breath, Burgermeister Meisterburger closed his eyes and his head slumped to the left. Kris held the Burgermeister’s hand as tears fell from his eyes. Even Grimsly walked over to the bed and cried over the Burgermeister.

“I only wished that Burgermeister Meisterburger knew happiness in his life,” Santa Claus said as he saw his past self mourning the Burgermeister with Grimsley. “Even though his heart was as black as coal, I still pitied him on his deathbed.”

“To be that cruel because it was the only thing you were taught,” Starlight Glimmer said as a tear fell from her eye. “I feel sorry for him.”

“And there’s nothing wrong with pity for those who dwell in the dark, but deserve a chance in the light,” Santa Claus responded.

In an instant, the whole room filled with light, blinding everyone at the moment. When the light cleared, Kris Kringle, Grimsly and the late Burgermeister Meisterburger were gone, and everyone left was back at Santa’s Workshop. Hermey pulled his tools back from Minty before the pony got up.

“I have kept that memory of the late Burgermeister as a request from Kris Kringle, who you all know as Santa Claus,” The Winter Warlock said.

“But how come?” Wanda asked.

“To remind myself that we’re all accepting of change,” Santa Claus said. “It’s true that I lost sight of who I was when I was among those who were critical of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. But Rudolph reminded me very well why I chose to preserve the final memory of the Burgermeister Meisterburger.”

Wanda sat down next to Starlight as the twin-tailed mare drank her hot cocoa. The human girl looked down at hands before slowly looking up at Santa and Mrs Claus.

“Young lady,” Mrs Claus said. “You still looked depressed.”

“I am, ma’am,” Wanda said. “I know Burgermeister was the far opposite of who I am. But I can’t help but still lament at being similar to him.”

“And I know why,” Santa said. “You possess a flaw of your own, different from Burgermeister: Your fear of failure.”

“My fear of what?” Wanda asked.

“Deep on the inside, you have a fear of failing those you swore to lead,” Santa said. “Much like how your friend fears being all alone, you possess a fear of failing. A flaw within you, like my own flaw of perfection, or Burgermeister’s original stance against happiness. And it’s okay that we have flaws.”

“But what can I do about it?” Wanda asked.

“A part of you has already done that,” Santa said. “You may not know it, but Old Man Winter was observing your unexpected journey with Starlight Glimmer. You were able to put your flaw aside to keep Starlight Glimmer company. Though you did have some tough love towards her, you showed her that you cared for her well-being.”

“I…I actually did,” Wanda said.

“Maybe it’s also because of the pressure you’ve been under since you and your sister were given New Ponyville to rule over,” Zipp Storm said. “It’s not easy for you to rule a kingdom, and I can attest to that. But the one thing that you and Sunset have…are friends. And friends will be the one to keep that magic lighting within you.”

“That is something I’ve barely taken for granted,” Wanda said.

“And that’s not all,” Santa said. “Wanda, sometimes, failure is the one way that allows us to grow. Failure is the greatest teacher that we’ve ever had. But time after time, we often associate failure as something to dread, or something to shame others for. Though you still fear failure, a part of you shows a willingness to learn from it, like the Burgermeister did.”

Wanda turned her attention away from Santa before she looked down at her hands once more. She slowly closed the palms on her hands and got up.

“I’ll try,” Wanda said. “But I’ll need all the help I can get.”

“That’s the spirit,” Santa said. “You will fail to recognize your own failure. But never give up. That is the most important lesson that you should keep to heart.”

“I will, Santa,” Wanda said. “And thanks.”

“All this talk about failure and fear does resonate with me” Starlight said as she drank the last sip of cocoa. “But it does make me wonder if we will see our friends again.”

Suddenly, a loud crash shook the foundation of the building for a moment, catching everyone off guard. It was even enough to cause Starlight to leap out of her hot air balloon sheet before landing in Wanda’s arms.

“What was that?” Wanda asked.

“It came from outside,” Rudolph said. “But why?”

“What you see outside will break your heart,” The Winter Warlock said. “Though no lives were seriously hurt, it was the result of the Tempest Winter Storm that brought you all here.”

“Wait,” Zipp said. “That must mean…”

Immediately, Zipp ran for the doorway as fast as possible before she opened it up and went outside. Starlight leaped out of Wanda’s arms as the two followed Zipp from behind. Minty, Hermey, Rudolph, Santa, Mrs Claus, Clarice, Yukon Cornelius, the Bumble, and the Winter Warlock also made haste for the doorway, following after Wanda and Starlight.

Outside, Zipp came to a sudden stop as her jaw dropped down in horror. As Wanda and Starlight made their way out, they also stopped in their tracks.

“I don’t believe this,” Zipp said, horrified. “This is what the Tempest Winter Storm did?”

“This is awful,” Wanda cried.

As the rest of the group stopped next to Wanda, Starlight and Zipp, they all looked up and gasped in horror. Outside of the boundaries of Christmas town was the Zephyr Ship. It had crash landed in the snow nearby, smoke poured out from a window on top, there were some burn marks on the side of the aircraft, and the wing with the damaged engine had broken off.

“Pipp,” Zipp said as she stood there with a horrified look on her face.. “Tell me you’re okay. Please tell me you're okay.”

To Be Continued in Part 7

Author's Note:

I just want to give you a heads up. I will release Part 7, the conclusion to this fanfic, on Sunday.