• Published 16th Dec 2023
  • 209 Views, 3 Comments

Christmas Company - LightDoinStuff



For one young man, a special visitor creates the best Christmas of his life.

  • ...
 3
 209

Chapter 7

"This is it." Mark thought. "It's over."

He refused to meet Sheila's gaze, fearing that somehow she would see through any final defenses Mark may have put up, allowing complete unfettered access to his very being.

During the briefest of moments, Mark tried to analyze the woman before him. Her gaze, her presence, her tone - these and many others gave a feeling he could barely read in the midst of the stress he was enduring.

Finally, the silence was broken once more.

The woman sighed. "Listen, I need to close this place up pretty quickly. The higher ups don't like us keeping it open past certain hours, even for the lost and found," Her eyes caught Mark's before continuing. "but I think I can help both you and your friend."

Mark simply sat in stunned silence.

"Come back here tomorrow around closing time - same time you were here looking at that sign." Sheila continued, "I've got a lot more to show you that may help you with what you're doing."

Mark finally found sufficient strength to respond. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Sheila replied with a smile.

Mark turned to leave when Sheila called his name.

"Mark, one more thing." She waited until Mark had turned around to face him before continuing, "Bring your friend with you. I think she'll want to see this herself."

"Okay." Mark replied with a nod before leaving the office building.


Immediately upon arriving home, Fluttershy's happy demeanor disappeared when she saw Mark's face.

"Is something wrong?" She asked.

Mark wasn't sure how to answer that question. Eventually he replied, "We need to talk."

He joined Fluttershy in his room, seeing that she had made herself busy reading one of the books on his bookshelf. Seeing it to be “Alice in Wonderland”, he would have chuckled had the situation been less grim.

Mark breathed a deep sigh. "Someone knows."

Fluttershy gasped, a hoof raised to cover her mouth. "Everything?"

"Not everything," Mark replied with a shake of his head, "but the woman knows about you, and has evidence of it, too."

"What kind of evidence?" Fluttershy asked, her concern growing even more by the minute.

"She apparently has you on video." He explained, "and then there was something she showed me…it was a golden coin with the emblem of the two sisters on it. I think we both know what that is."

Fluttershy seemed troubled, but strangely also somewhat confused.

"What?" Mark asked.

"Mark," Fluttershy began, "I never brought any bits with me."

Mark's eyes grew wide at this revelation.

"And there weren't any around you that got transported by accident?" He asked.

The pegasus shook her head.

Mark tried desperately to make sense of this. If she didn't bring any, then that could only mean one thing…

She wasn't the only pony who'd traveled to Earth.

But had somepony come before or after her? Where were they now? What was this woman's connection to them?

Was it possible Twilight was already on Earth looking for Fluttershy?

Mark couldn't make sense of it. "I'm really not sure whether we should meet with her," he continued. "but she invited us to do so."

The pegasus was struck at once by the suggestion.

"She's our only lead for now, and she may be the best one we have." He added.

Fluttershy took deep breaths to calm herself, trying to think rationally.

"Do you really think that's a good idea?" She finally asked.

Mark thought carefully for a moment, then sighed. "I don't know."

The mare began balancing out the facts as best she could. The woman could certainly offer up something to help them, but if she was anything like the poachers…

"What was she like?" Fluttershy asked.

Now in a much calmer state of mind, Mark thought back over everything that had happened. It was true that she'd asked quite a few questions of him, but there was something about her that was strangely…disarming. The woman didn't seem as though she wanted to intimidate him, even though her questions had made his blood run cold.

"If you're asking if she's a threat," Mark answered, "I don't really know."

The two sat deep in thought, unable to decide what to do. Unusually, it was the pegasus who spoke up first.

"Mark, what should we do?"

Her voice sounded weak, afraid, and pained. This new development had presented a risk neither had expected, and even though Mark hadn't faced any immediate danger, it was clear this conundrum was taking its toll on the poor mare. Mixed in with what doubts she still had about him as her host, her inner comfort was proving fragile.

"Well, we have a saying where I come from." Mark answered, "When in doubt, sleep on it."


The two finished preparations for bed and went to their respective rooms. Unfortunately, Mark soon realized that the issue with "sleeping on" an issue implied one would be able to sleep at all. This was certainly not the case for him.

Despite his best mental efforts, nothing could bring him peace regarding the eventual decision he'd have to make. This was putting both their lives in danger, and for a lead he still couldn't entirely make sense of. He couldn't even reason what kind of woman Sheila was - Intimidating? Friendly? Neutral?

The panic continued to cloud Mark's judgment, eventually forcing him to put in earbuds and play the familiar sounds of his carefully selected slow instrumental playlist. With any luck, it would lull him to sleep.

Fluttershy was faring far worse.

She lay on her side, staring at the wall as though hoping it would somehow provide an answer. Her breathing was staggered, a lone tear running down her cheek. The blankets wrapped over her provided little comfort.

If this were a nightmare, she would give anything to wake up.

Every semblance of security and safety had shattered in that brief conversation. This woman, whoever she was, knew just about everything. She knew about her, she'd met Mark, she clearly had something from their world…and now they may meet her the next day.

Who's to say she hadn't followed Mark and was preparing something for the middle of the night?

Her eyes shrunk to pinpricks at this thought.

And what about Mark? She hadn't heard this conversation they'd had, so what if he was planning something? What if this was his ultimate goal, and it was all a ruse?

Her body began to tremble.

She was tired. She missed home.

She missed the grassy fields outside of Ponyville. She missed the wonderful smells of Sweet Apple Acres. She missed the exciting parties hosted by Pinkie Pie. She missed her daring, outgoing, and encouraging friend Rainbow Dash. She missed the many adventures she and her friends would get into. She missed her animal friends that she cared for. She missed the humble life the town provided.

She missed her life.

In the silence, one could faintly hear the sounds of bitter weeping.