• Published 16th Dec 2023
  • 208 Views, 3 Comments

Christmas Company - LightDoinStuff



For one young man, a special visitor creates the best Christmas of his life.

  • ...
 3
 208

Chapter 20

"Your destination is ahead." A computerized voice sounded.

Mark pulled forward the last few yards before putting the vehicle in park. He didn't exactly expect the meeting place to be in a well-lit neighborhood, but an abandoned warehouse was still worse than he'd expected.

He steeled his nerves, trying to suppress the rampant anxiety attacking his body. Between the situation and location, this was much easier said than done. He briefly entertained the thought that perhaps the anxiety could even help him, acting as a quick adrenaline rush if things turned sour.

Deep down though, he knew he needed to enter the building. The anxiety would only hold him back from doing so.

He stepped out of the vehicle, walking to the main door of the warehouse. He took one final breath before reaching for the knob…only to find the door locked.

The sudden deflation of the tension was both relieving and worrisome. Had he missed them? Was it the wrong location? Perhaps they expected him to enter a different way?

Settling on the final theory, he quietly circled the building, finding only the large garage doors as the other way of entering - which were, of course, shut tightly. Making his way back to the door, he tried the knob once more, hoping that somehow it would unlock. It didn't.

There was a click behind him, followed by a voice. "Good to finally meet you, Mark."

Mark knew better than to make any sudden moments, choosing to keep his attention focused forward. "Who are you?"

"That doesn't matter," replied the voice, circling around to his side, "where is it?"

"Where's what?" Mark asked.

His reward was a painful smack to the head. "The pegasus." Answered the voice, clearly becoming annoyed.

"She ran away once she heard the message." Mark explained, trying to reorient himself after the blow to his temple.

"Right," the man stated sarcastically, "I'm sure that's exactly what happened. Frank!"

Another man walked out from the shadows, taking the opposite side of Mark. He pulled his own gun from its holster. "Want me to get him inside?"

"Yeah," the first man responded, "and keep an eye on him. I'm going to go look for his friend."

The two then split, with Frank forcing Mark into the building at gunpoint as the other man walked towards Mark's car.


The inside of the building was barely lit, with moonlight streaming in through the windows. In the dark, Mark could faintly make out the shapes of two people tied up in chairs, though the distinct lack of any Alicorn figures worried him even more.

"Where's Twilight?" Mark wondered.

The sound of a gunshot broke his train of thought. Loud shouting followed, clearly the voice of the man outside, as some inaudible dialogue was spoken.

Moments later, Mark was horrified to see the result: Fluttershy entered the building with the man from earlier pointing a gun at her.

"Now then, do we have everything in order?" The man asked.

"We sure do." Frank replied, "Good job, Jack."

Mark stood paralyzed by fear. It was his worst nightmare playing out perfectly before his eyes.

"Now then," The man named Jack began, "I just wanted to start by thanking you for bringing the pegasus, Mark. You really made our job easier."

Mark snarled at the man, earning another hit to his head, this time from Frank. He fell to the floor, his vision blurred.

"Tie her up." Jack commanded.

As Mark slowly regained his senses, much slower this time, he could distantly hear the sounds of Fluttershy screaming before a loud thud sounded across the walls of the warehouse. When he finally came to properly, he saw Fluttershy tied up and in a daze. The rope job was nearly identical to that of when Mark first discovered her.

"Now I just wanted to let you know how difficult you made our job." Jack continued, "We had our prize right there waiting for us, and you just had to snatch her away."

He kneeled down next to Mark, pointing the gun at this temple. "That's very disrespectful to our line of work." Jack growled.

Jack got back up and turned to Fluttershy. "But now, we got what we wanted, and we'll make plenty off of her."

Mark tried to stand up, stumbling as he did so. "H-how did you know?"

Jack turned back to him. "We had an inside source at the preserve explaining everything."

Mark gave a glare towards Carter, prompting Jack to speak again.

"Oh, not him," he continued, "we had a backup in case Carter there fell through, which he did. Good to have a plan B, wouldn't you say?"

Mark tried again to stand up, managing barely to keep on his feet. "That's how you got my number, and how you got Sheila."

Jack laughed aloud. "Yep, our source even made sure to wipe video for the day. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened at the preserve, so it won't even look suspicious!"

Mark's limbs began to grow weak. Adding to his sense of helplessness was the realization that there really was nothing more he could do. Sheila, Carter, and Fluttershy were tied up. That just left…

"Twilight!" He exclaimed.

"Oh, your little friend?" Jack responded, "That was a stab in the dark, but man did it pay off!"

Frank pulled out his phone, searching for a moment before playing a sound from the speaker…

"Fluttershy, help!"

Mark's eyes went wide as the sound bite ended.

Jack chuckled. "I love technology."

Before Mark could fully process everything, Frank spoke up.

“We've got what we came for. What do you want to do with them?” He indicated the other three.

Jack cocked his pistol. “Well we can’t have any witnesses, can we?”

Mark glanced at Sheila and Carter, then at Fluttershy, then back at Jack's gun. Not only was he at a disadvantage here, there were no options left for him. This was the end of the road.

“Aww, don’t worry," Jack mocked, “we’ll take good care of her.”

Mark tried his best not to focus on the situation at hand. He forced himself to remember the time he'd spent with his wonderful pegasus friend. He remembered the times she filled out pages of research. He remembered the meals they'd shared, the laughs they'd had, the videos and movies they'd watched - he even remembered the time the two had met with Sheila and first read through that journal.

The memories provided a contrast to the current situation: The bare lighting, the smell of dust, the purple glow behind the two poachers-

"Wait, purple glow?" Mark wondered.

It was only then that his eyes fixated on the glow, which began to grow in intensity. The brightness began to blind the occupants of the room before a strong force blew all to the ground.

When Mark could see again, his heart skipped a beat.

It was Twilight Sparkle.

"Where is she?" The Alicorn demanded.

The two poachers shook on the floor in fear before Frank finally pointed to Fluttershy.

Twilight turned and began untying her friend. Several purple bolts of light fired from her horn, seemingly cutting through the ropes like a knife through butter. The pegasus was relieved, standing up and embracing her friend.

The moment was cut short as Jack aimed his gun at Twilight. Before Mark could yell out a warning, the gun fired, ringing out a sound of thunder that bounced across the walls.

Just as quickly, a wave of purple light flashed in the room, with the fired bullet landing on the ground moments later.

"How dare you!" Twilight yelled, turning to Jack, "I don't know what kind of creatures you are, but clearly you have no respect for other living beings! What kind of animal attacks when somepony's back is turned?"

Jack was shaking slightly, having realized his only method of defense was completely useless. If he had anything to say, he chose not to - which was for the best.

"I ought to have you tried for capturing my friend!" Twilight yelled, turning her head to face each of the people in the room, "I should have all of you tried for what you've done to her!"

Mark wanted to protest but decided it was better left for when she wasn't as emotionally riled up.

Twilight let out a loud sigh. "But that's not what I'm here for, and aren't you lucky for that! I'm just here to retrieve my friend, and I hope for your sake that I never see any of you again!"

"Um, Twilight-" Fluttershy began.

"It's okay Fluttershy, I know you're afraid." Twilight reassured, "We're going to go home and you'll never have to see this place again."

Twilight's horn began to light up as she faced Jack. Moments later, he fell to the ground.

"Twilight-" Fluttershy started again.

"It's just a sleep spell, Fluttershy." Twilight explained, "We need to make sure none of them follow us through."

She then used her magic once again to make Frank fall asleep. She turned to Mark.

"I don't know what you did to end up in this situation," Twilight warned, "but if you even try to do anything-"

"Twilight!" Fluttershy yelled uncharacteristically loudly.

"What is it, Fluttershy?" Twilight asked, a slight edge of annoyance in her voice.

Fluttershy moved between Mark and Twilight. "That person's name is Mark, and he saved me when I was captured a week ago. He's been nothing but kind to me, and has been trying to help me find a way back home. I can't speak for every human, but this one is a good friend of mine, and he doesn't deserve this!"

Twilight was taken aback at her friend's boldness. "Fluttershy…he's your friend?"

Fluttershy nodded. "I've made friends with all kinds of creatures since I was born in Equestria. Prey and predator, sentient and non-sentient, from every corner of Equestria I've sought to learn more about those that inhabit our world."

She turned to Mark. "This man, this human, showed me that there are many other worlds out there. With them come different cultures, beliefs, histories, and much more, but more importantly I found what is similar to us. Equestrians don't have a monopoly on friendship - it is a universal language that surfaces even in worlds with the darkest of backgrounds."

She turned back to Twilight. "We would be hypocrites to the very values we hold if we didn't extend friendship to others outside Equestria, especially when they are so eager to befriend us!"

Twilight was astonished at her friend's speech, one which she’d delivered with a conviction and confidence rarely shown.

"You really believe that, don't you?" Twilight asked.

Fluttershy nodded. "With all my heart."

Mark watched unsurely to see Twilight's response. His fear eased as he saw a gentle smile make its way across her lips.

"Then I will too." She stated, walking towards Mark. With a flash, the ropes were cut with ease and fell to the floor. She extended a hoof to him, "Twilight Sparkle."

Mark carefully extended his hand, taking the hood in his grip and offering a light shake. "Mark Wright."

Twilight turned to Sheila and Carter. "What about them?" She asked.

"They were just caught up in the mess." Mark explained, "At least, Sheila was. I don't know what Carter did, but I know he had something to do with where we are now."

"I think we should free them." Fluttershy stated, earning a surprised glance from Mark, "I want to hear their side of the story."

Twilight complied, freeing the remaining two humans. Sheila carefully got up from her chair, kneeling down to eye level with Twilight.

"You're a unicorn…and a pegasus?" She asked.

"'Alicorn' is the term we use." Twilight corrected.

Sheila was awe-struck, unable to say much more than a slight whisper, "Incredible".

The two ponies then turned to Carter, who'd remained seated despite being freed. As they approached him, he glanced up, a tear glistening in the moonlight.

"I'm sorry," he weakly uttered, "they took my wife and I hostage and threatened to kill us both. We didn't have a choice, please forgive us."

Carter looked away as Fluttershy approached. "I know what you did in the past to myself, Mark, and the many animals you captured," she sternly stated before her features relaxed, even allowing a faint smile, "but I do know you're not evil. You act in desperation, not malice. Where I live, good always triumphs somehow, and I want you to understand that as well. I know you've seen some terrible things, but please, please Carter, promise me you'll change."

Carter risked a glance at her. "You really think I can just leave everything behind?"

Fluttershy nodded. "I have a good friend back home who's proof of that."

The faint sound of sirens began sounding in the background.

"You should probably go." Mark warned reluctantly.

"I suppose so." Fluttershy agreed.

Mark got down on a knee, prompting Fluttershy to walk up to him and bring him into a hug.

"Thanks for everything, 'Shy." Mark whispered, a tear escaping his eyes, "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too." Fluttershy replied, "I promise I'll see you again some day, though."

The two separated from the hug. "Promise?" Mark asked.

Fluttershy nodded. "Pinkie Promise."

The reference brought a smile to Mark's face.

"Ready, Fluttershy?" Twilight asked, earning a nod from her. "And to you, Mark…thank you."

With that, a final flash of purple light brightened the room, temporarily blinding the occupants. When all could see again, Twilight and Fluttershy had vanished.

Mark's face fell. He had anticipated her leaving, but even knowing they'd see each other again someday - however far away that may be - it still would be difficult to leave such a close friend behind.

"Mark," Sheila began, walking up to him, "I'm sorry this happened this way."

He shook his head. "She had to go home eventually, Sheila. All I could do is make sure she had the best time possible before she did."

Sheila smiled. "And you did do that," she reassured, "you helped a being from a world completely different to our own find hope after a tragic incident. She'll never forget you."

"I know what it's like to lose someone you care deeply for," she continued, "but I also know the pain will ease with time, especially when you know you'll see her again."

Mark took a moment to internalize her comments. "You're right, Sheila." He responded with a smile, "And now, I need to go prepare for when I see her again. I want her to see the best version of me I can become!"

Just then, the door to the warehouse was slammed open as armed forces stood at the ready.

"Freeze!" One yelled.


The police had taken away the two men alongside Carter, later bringing in Mark and Sheila for questioning. After both had completed what the police needed, they were set free. The two offered brief parting words before going back to their respective homes.

As Mark pulled into his home's garage, he was surprised at how quiet the world felt. Normally, he would have been engaging in conversation with Fluttershy as the two entered his home, perhaps planning what to eat or a fun activity to pass the time.

Now he was alone with his thoughts.

As the old phrase went, "don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened", and Mark chose to smile over crying. He remembered the experiences he'd had with her, the memories they'd created. He remembered meeting Sheila and reading the journal. He remembered the movie nights, meals, and long discussions the two had had.

Most of all, he remembered the magical Christmas he'd enjoyed with her. Of all the gifts he'd ever receive, none would top that.

These thoughts preoccupied his mind as he entered the home, then his room. He was then stopped by a piece of paper on his bed. Taking it in his hands, he quietly read to himself.

Mark,

Thank you for everything. I know I've said it many times before, but truly thank you. You saved my life, protected it, and ensured I enjoyed my time in a world as foreign to me as it gets.

There's much I still don't understand about your world, and I look forward to learning more in the future. For now, the notes I took will do. Don't worry, I found them relatively easily.

For now, I've left something behind for you. Consider it both a Hearth's Warming and Christmas gift.

Until we see each other again,

Fluttershy

Beneath the letter was a small black box. Upon opening it, Mark's eyes were greeted with a pink gemstone cut into the shape of a butterfly.

He gently lifted the gem out of the box, turning off the light in the room and allowing it to sparkle. It was more than an artificial shine because of glitter, it was as though there was something cosmic contained within the object. It was like a look into the night sky, with stars and even galaxies visible.

It was beautiful.

Mark gently placed the gem on his side table and knelt down to give thanks. It had truly been an unforgettable experience, and one that had changed both himself and Fluttershy for the better. Now, whether it was fate, divine intervention, or something else entirely, it was only a matter of time before the two met again.

After all, in a world as wonderful as this, one cannot shy away from their destiny.