• Published 16th Dec 2023
  • 209 Views, 3 Comments

Christmas Company - LightDoinStuff



For one young man, a special visitor creates the best Christmas of his life.

  • ...
 3
 209

Chapter 17

The sun's rays began to peek through the edge of the window, waking the pegasus mare. She wiped the sleep from her eyes and gently left the bed to begin her day, gently stepping over her friend in the sleeping bag.

Mark had insisted on Fluttershy taking his bed once more, stating that he had gotten used to sleeping in the bag. She knew deep down that wasn't the real reason, though. It was because he felt she needed comfort while staying in this world, especially when it seemed so hostile to her.

Though she wouldn't say it, she felt the same way.

Walking to the kitchen, she decided to take a second chance at making breakfast. Settling on the far less burnable cereal and toast, she found the ingredients for the meal in the fridge and cupboards. She had finished pouring a bowl of Frosted Mini-Wheats for each of them when she heard a yawn sound from the kitchen doorway.

"Morning 'Shy." Mark greeted as he rubbed his eyes.

"Good morning." Fluttershy replied with a smile.

The two soon began eating, with Mark wondering what best to do that day. With everything that had happened recently, he wanted to distract from it with some festive activities. With this in mind, he already had some plans for Christmas, but what of Christmas Eve?

"What do you want to do today, Fluttershy?" Mark asked.

Fluttershy swallowed a spoonful of wheat. "Um, I'm not sure. Is there anything you want to do today?"

"Well it is Christmas Eve," Mark began, seeing his pegasus friend tilt her head in confusion, "our version of Hearth's Warming Eve?"

"Oh, right." Fluttershy replied with a slight blush.

"We do have some things we typically do today." Mark continued, "There's cookie decorating, watching Christmas films, telling stories. Mostly it's just people spending time together and having fun."

"You have movies about Christmas?" She inquired.

Mark chuckled. "Oh boy, do we! Tell you what, you up for watching one after breakfast?"

"Sounds perfect." Fluttershy replied with a smile.


What had started with the original Grinch cartoon had turned into a Christmas movie triple-feature, with the two watching through Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty The Snowman immediately afterward. Mark stopped the impromptu marathon there, insisting there were still things for the two to do that day, as well as movies he was saving for Christmas Day.

"So what's next, then?" Fluttershy asked, her mind still a buzz with the films she'd seen.

"Well, what do you say to baking some Christmas cookies?" He asked.

Fluttershy's eyes sparkled. "That sounds fun!"

Mark was somewhat surprised at her enthusiasm. She seemed almost like Pinkie Pie at that moment with the sudden interest in baking sweets, but he attributed it to similar holiday traditions in Equestria.

After preheating the oven and getting out the ingredients for the cookies, the matter had him thinking on the traditions of Hearth's Warming. More importantly, he wondered if he could incorporate them somehow, perhaps making the mare feel more comfortable on Earth during the season.

"Hey 'Shy, it was around Hearth's Warming Eve when you ended up here, wasn't it?" He asked as he measured out the ingredients.

Fluttershy nodded. "About a week or so before that, why?"

Mark smiled. "Well, what were some traditions you had back there?"

Fluttershy brought a hoof to her chin in thought. "Well, different families have different traditions. Some decorate trees, many make Hearth's Warming dolls…oh, and there's gift giving, too."

"Huh, doesn't sound too dissimilar to our holiday, actually." Mark mused, mixing the ingredients together, "Aside from the story behind it, of course."

"What is the story behind Christmas?" Fluttershy asked.

"I'll save that for tonight." Mark replied with a wink, "For now, let's roll this dough out and cut up some cookies to bake!"

He pulled open a nearby drawer, revealing a number of Christmas themed cookie cutters. After the dough was rolled out, the two began slowly chipping away it, combining the dough back together a few times to try and squeeze a few more cookies out of the mix. When only a small amount of dough was left, he rolled it into a circle and placed it on the baking sheet, creating a final, if simple looking, sugar cookie.

The cookies soon found their way into the oven, with Mark setting a timer for 12 minutes.

"So…now what?" Fluttershy inquired.


"Got any 3s?" Mark asked.

"Go fish." Fluttershy politely replied.

The two had settled down for a rousing game of Go Fish, featuring a Christmas themed card set.

"Any Jacks?" Fluttershy asked.

Mark made a face of mock frustration. Of his three cards, two of them were indeed jacks, represented by pictures of Frosty the Snowman. He handed the two over to the pegasus before continuing the game.

"Got any-"

An alarm sounded from Mark's pocket. Pulling out his phone and silencing the culprit, he gave a nod before walking back to the oven. Opening the oven door, the sweet smell of freshly baked cookies filled the air.

The two took in a deep breath through their noses, savoring the smell. The sugary goodness combined with a hint of vanilla created a scent best enjoyed around the holiday season, and both Mark and Fluttershy were ready to dig in. But first…

"Ready to decorate, 'Shy?" Mark asked.

"Absolutely!" She replied with a broad smile and a sparkle in her eyes.

Putting on a pair of oven mitts, he pulled the baking sheet out of the oven and placed it on the counter. After waiting a few minutes, the cookies had cooled and were ready for icing. Mark started on a snowman shaped cookie, utilizing the icing colors he had - the lack of black for the top hat wasn't stopping him - to create a very unique Frosty.

He glanced over at Fluttershy, who was decorating the one circular cookie. She was starting with something resembling green lace surrounding the border, with small red and white dots speckled around the cookie.

Yet while watching her decorate, he saw her face suddenly grow sorrowful. She quickly hid it, glancing up at him with a smile, which faded when she noticed him staring.

"What?" She asked, tilting her head.

Mark paused frosting Frosty. "You okay, 'Shy?"

Her eyes fell. "I just hope everypony is okay back home."

In like manner, Mark's heart sank. "I'm sorry you have to deal with this, 'Shy. I can't imagine what it's like to be this far away from friends and family."

The pegasus didn't respond, allowing him to continue. "Though I can kind of relate, just with mine being away for the holidays."

Fluttershy's eyes rose up to glance at his once again. "Your family and friends are gone?" She asked.

He nodded. "All my friends are out of state on vacation of some sort, and of course my parents are on a business trip."

"What about your grandparents?" Fluttershy asked.

"They're too far of a drive for me to make." Mark explained, "Around here, I'm just old enough to get my license. I don't exactly want to be making any long road trips, especially during the snow."

Fluttershy's ears fell. "So you would've been stuck back here alone if I weren't here?"

Mark nodded. "Indeed."

Fluttershy paused in thought before speaking again. "Mark, have I made things better for you?"

"What do you mean?" He replied.

"I mean, despite everything that's happened, did I make your holiday better?" She answered, "Are you glad you met me?"

Mark smiled. "Fluttershy, I'm very glad I met you. It's true the last week has been a strange one, but you've brought a lot of happiness into my life that I needed. Without you, it would've been a very lonely holiday. Without you, I don't know what I would've done for the 2 weeks my parents are gone."

His breath caught in his throat as the reality of that possibility settled in his mind. "I don't think I would've been okay." He added.

He felt a pair of hooves wrap around his sides, a head resting against his chest. Looking down, he saw the familiar pink mane of his dear friend, which he gently stroked.

"Thanks, 'Shy." He whispered.


"...And so the three advisors were able to ignite the Fire of Friendship, freeing their commanders. The three heads of the tribes decided they were best off working together, and so broke ground on the new land: Equestria."

Mark clapped softly. "That was wonderful, 'Shy!"

Both reached for another sugar cookie as they sat on the couch.

"So what is your holiday all about?" Fluttershy asked.

Mark raised the hand not holding a cookie while he chewed. After swallowing, he replied, "One sec, I need to grab something."

Fluttershy sat patiently while he left the room, eventually returning with a book bearing in gold lettering the title "Holy Bible".

"It's an old story, older than my grandparents' grandparents." He explained as he searched through the pages. "And here it is…"

He read aloud the famous story in Luke chapter 2, with Fluttershy captivated throughout. He soon finished, reading "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

He carefully closed the book, placing it on the coffee table in front of him. "That's what Christmas is all about, 'Shy."

“That story was incredible.” She commented, offering a faint smile. “Your kind really is something…" her speech was broken briefly to allow a yawn to escape, "special."

“As is yours.” Mark replied with a kind smile. "It sounds like it's time for both of us to get some sleep."

He stood up from the couch as the two headed to get ready for bed. While waiting for Fluttershy to brush her teeth, he suddenly remembered something - something important.

"Actually, go on ahead without me." He advised, "There's something I need to go take care of first. Don't wait up, okay?"

Fluttershy peeked her head out of the bathroom, one hoof holding a toothbrush with paste on top. "Is everything okay, Mark?"

He nodded. "Yeah, everything's okay, I just really need to do something before bed."

The mare shrugged. "Okay, see you tomorrow morning then."

While Fluttershy began preparations for the evening, Mark quietly crept up the stairs to the room he'd stored the package in. It was a supply room, containing various rolls of wrapping paper, bows, ribbons, and other festive decorations. A smile crawled across his lips as he confidently walked forward, taking a roll of paper and a ribbon in hand.

Unfortunately, he quickly realized his skills did not match his confidence. After a half hour (and several Google searches), he finally managed to get everything looking, in his opinion, passable. Picking up the gift wrapped package, he quietly walked down the stairs and to the tree.

He placed the box under the tree, front and center so it would be immediately visible. Most of all, he took special care to ensure the tag marked "To Fluttershy" was obvious. With his work done, the would-be Santa got ready for bed.

After everything was done, Mark walked back to his room, seeing the familiar sight of Fluttershy asleep in his bed. He smiled at the adorable sight, a smile which faded as he remembered her comments earlier that day while baking cookies.

Did I make your holiday better?

Are you glad you met me?

"Why did she wonder that?" Mark thought to himself, "Does she think she's burdening me by being here? Has she always felt like that?"

Mark frowned at this thought. Perhaps she didn't realize how grateful he was to have a friend with him during a lonely holiday. Perhaps she didn't understand what her friendship meant to him.

The thought continued to bother him as he got into the sleeping bag. As he lay awake, he made a promise that tomorrow he would make sure she knew he was grateful to have her around. Moreover, he would give her something in return: The best Christmas he could offer her.

This thought provided a sufficient resolution so as to allow his mind to rest. He closed his eyes, dreaming of what the next day could possibly hold in store.