• Published 28th Nov 2023
  • 535 Views, 11 Comments

All Day, Everyday. - Penanka72



Follow the journey of a little girl who takes her football to the next level!

  • ...
11
 11
 535

—————————————————

Stop the letter!

Sorry, Fluttershy. I’ll try and end this shenanigans as fast as I can.

Amelia turned on the turbo boosts as she increased in pace, her head down, blood pumping around her body more. She zoomed passed ponies, and passed buildings with intense speed, eventually overtaking the dogs that took out ponies left, right and centre with their rampaging run, going that extra bit faster to not get swiped by the ankles.

Amelia didn’t realise how far Derpy was from her, the distance being quite the gap. She breathed heavily, sweat forming but she kept running, determined to catch that damn letter. Seriously, how hard is it to get one letter!? ONE!!! Email is a thing. WHY ISN’T ANYONE USING EMAIL OR WHATSAPP!!! EVEN SNAPCHAT FOR THE GEN-Z KIDS!!! BLOODY MILLENNIALS!!!

Eventually, Amelia started to catch up to Derpy, her lungs on fire and throat dry but yet, she kept running. Amelia saw Derpy was worse than herself, sweating buckets as she looked to be at her limit. When Derpy was within reaching distance, Amelia could hear how out of breath she was, her run appearing more sluggish and frantic, desperately trying to catch the letter.

No matter how her body screamed at her to stop, her core in a knot, to take a breather, she kept running for that God-forsaken letter, even to the point of coming side by side with Derpy. When Amelia looked over, Amelia was surprised to see Derpy thwarted, determined and pissed off like a seagull just nicked one of her chips. Amelia’s and Derpy’s eyes met momentarily, a mutual understanding between them as Amelia eventually overtook Derpy and just like that, Derpy’s running came to a halt, her body spent.

Now it was just her and the letter, the race of the century, the showdown between the wind and a pegasus, a fight that will be told for generations to come. That’s what it felt like when all eyes were on Amelia, the Ponyville’s citizens watching as Amelia sprinted along the street, confused by the chaotic scene of a letter being carried by the furious wind and the pursuer being right on its tail.

In other words — a casual Thursday…

Sitting on a bench outside a café, a coffee in their hands sat a cream-coloured earth pony and a lime green unicorn, sitting silently together as they just enjoyed each other’s company… well… that was until the green one started to talk.

“So… humans, ay?”

“Don’t you dare start.” The cream-coloured pony quickly said, her mane being split in half in a pink and blue colour. This pony being Bon Bon, the defender for the Toffees.

“Come on, Bon Bon! Don’t you find humans to be the slightest bit interesting? They are the race that introduced hoofball to us, you know.” The green unicorn said, taking a sip of her hot coffee. This is Lyra, Bon Bon’s partner in the defensive line for the Toffees.

“That’s just a myth, Lyra. Just a made-up story we were told when we were fillies, that’s all it is.” Bon Bon said harshly, making Lyra narrow her brows.

“Sheesh, you woke up on the wrong side of the bed.” Lyra puffed her cheeks out, looking frustratingly at Bon Bon who responded with a roll of her eyes. That tension didn’t last as long however as the calm morning they were having was rudely interrupted by the feel of a gust of wind and the sound of a filly going ape-shit for the letter.

“GET BACK HERE!!!”

The two watch with a blank face, watching as their faces go from left to right slowly, seeing a blue pegasus sprint after a gracefully flying letter, a frustrated look on her face. As soon as the pegasus left their view, they both took a sip of their coffee, listening to the filly that cursed the letter like a drunken sailstallion. When her voice faded away, that’s when Lyra spoke up with a nonchalant tone.

“So… Mrs Cake is pregnant again…”

Amelia had come close a few times to the scurrying letter, her fingertips touching it a few times before the teasing wind intensified after coming close. From a left turn to a right turn, to a left, left, left, left, left, left, left, left, left, right, left turn, going in circles around the Ponyville’s library, confusing the Liberian that was at her desk, seeing Amelia dash by every few seconds.

Amelia came the closest when she outstretched for it, diving for it in a desperate attempt to end this madness once and for all but, that wasn’t the case at all as right before she went to grab it, it escaped through one of the windows of a house, a baked pie resting on the window-sill to let it cool. Amelia felt how cool the pie was when she got a face full of it, her face purple with berries. Amelia growled as she jumped through the window, sliding off the kitchen counter, frustration reaching her tone.

"All this... FOR ONE BLOODY LETTER!!!!!!" Amelia screamed through the house, seeing the letter slip through a crack of a door. With steam tooting out of her ears, Amelia marched over to the door and swung the door wide open, knowing there was no place to hide in this house. In front of her however was a family of 4 looking back at the pie-faced pegasus, a look of murder on her face. “Where is it!” Amelia hissed, breathing heavily like a lunatic. The two adults and two kids pointed up the stairs, a shocked and fearful expression on their faces. They didn’t know what the mad filly was doing in their house. Amelia looked up the stairs and sure enough, there was the letter heading up the stairs casually. Amelia gritted her teeth, her boiling point reaching her limit.

"Get 'ere NOW, LA!"

Amelia charged for the stairs, stomping up the stairs quickly, the family worried that the steps would break with each step, that’s how furious the maniac in the house was.
Hold on… THEIR’S NO WIND IN THIS BLEEDIN’ HOUSE!

Reaching the top of the stairs, Amelia just about saw the letter slip under the door at the far end of the hallway.
Who does this letter think he bloody is!?

Amelia had her hands in a fist, clouded by anger and hatred, so clouded that she didn’t notice the sound of water hitting a bathtub and smoke crawling out beneath the door, so clouded that she kicked the door open, expecting to see the letter flying around, looking for a way to escape once again. Although that’s exactly what she saw, it wasn’t the only thing she saw in the foggy bathroom. Amelia’s eyes shot wide, her face going red under the splatter of pie on her face.

“AY! WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU!? HOW THE FUCK DID YOU GET IN HERE!! FUCK OFF!!! FUCK OFF NOW!!!” Said the mare in the shower, her fur the colour blue with her hair being a deep purple and light grey, her eyes being purple too. It was Minuette! The midfielder for The Toffees!
What are the odds?…

“SORRY!!!!” Amelia exclaimed; her eyes closed as she slammed the door shut. It was to her horror that she heard wet slaps against wood behind the door, rapidly getting louder. Amelia ran for the stairs, not daring to look back as she heard the bathroom door slam open.

“GET BACK HERE YOU MOTHERFUCKER!!!”

Never has Amelia run down the stairs so fast in her life and straight out the front door, closing the door behind her. Amelia didn’t have a clue whether Minuette was still on her tail or not, she didn’t care however as she just kept running in fear of being caught. Is this what the letter was feeling this whole time?

Amelia didn’t know why but, she felt someone was chasing her. Gathering her nerves however, she took a look from over her shoulder, and she could only deadpan as the thing that was chasing her was the bloody letter itself. As soon as Amelia stopped, the letter made a complete U-turn.
Cheeky fucker…

However, before the letter could skedaddle away, Amelia halted her charge and was amazed as the letter stopped in mid-air, the wind blowing away furiously but, despite its attempts to fly away, it couldn’t get away from the hand that pinched it tightly, a particular coloured orange-furred hand that Amelia recognised, a dusk orange colour that Amelia has only seen on one pony before in her short time of being a pony. Amelia looked up from the hand that grasped the letter, coming face to face with a purple-eyed pegasus glaring down at her, her muzzle frowning into a sneer.
Oh yeah, I remember now… this is the generational talent, The Toffee’s Assassin, the number 45!

It goes without saying that Amelia was a straightforward person and was easily triggered if the wrong buttons were pushed. That was shown evident by the letter taking her on one hell of a rollercoaster ride, but now that the letter was caught, a sigh of relief left Amelia’s lips. However, Amelia didn’t like how the pegasus in front of her was looking down on her, a look in her eyes that oozed arrogance as she held the letter at her side. Amelia knew that glare well; it was a challenging glare—the bad kind of glare.

Despite the clear dislike towards her, however, Amelia put on a smile and stood straight. “Hey, thanks for catching the letter. It sure did give me the run around,” Amelia said with a smile, rubbing the back of her head softly. The purple-haired pegasus didn’t seem like she was going to answer, so she took her silence to keep talking. “You know, I recognize you from somewhere. That orange fur you have, I only know one pegasus that has that shade of color, and that pegasus is Scootaloo. Am I wrong?”

The pegasus didn’t flinch or blink at being called out, unbothered by being recognized. Her eyes just roamed over Amelia’s body, scrutinizing her legs, her body structure, and her muscle development. It was like Scootaloo was analyzing a piece of art. It stayed like that for a few seconds, Amelia just standing there, feeling awkward as she smiled.
What’s wrong with this bird?

“Left wing,” Scootaloo said suddenly, making Amelia perk up.

“Huh?” Amelia said with confusion, tilting her head slightly.
Wait… Is she talking about a left-sided winger?

“If you played hoofball, you’d play as a left winger,” Scootaloo said simply, making it hard for Amelia to keep her smile up.
Is this how she greets people? Telling them where they would play? Strange…

“Okay, firstly, that’s wrong, and secondly, no… do I need to bring up a third reason?” Amelia said with a bit of salt, trying to keep her smile up, but it won’t be easy trying to keep a friendly smile up for much longer with this pegasus.
What’s her problem?

“You’re a pegasus, your natural strength is speed and agility, just like me,” Scootaloo muttered, making Amelia narrow her eyes. “But unlike me, you don’t have that burst of speed to play in the attacking role, but you do have an engine to play in the midfield. That’s common knowledge.”

Amelia now understood where Scootaloo was coming from, what Scootaloo was trying to say. Earth Ponies, Pegasus, Unicorns—what do they all have in common? Magic, but that’s about it. Unicorns are the masters of spells; Pegasus are the masters of flight, and Earthlings are the masters of their own strength, giving Equestria a diverse set of ponies, ponies that have different roles in life.

That’s no different in “Hoofball” terms.

Thanks to ponies' individually different gifts, different roles suited different ponies, giving an unfair dynamic to the game of hoofball, but that’s just how it is and how it has been for centuries.

Earth ponies are known for their strength and height, finding them more useful in defense than anywhere else on the pitch. However, on the rare occasion, an earth pony may be used as a holding midfielder (like Big Mac) or a goalkeeper (like Caramel), maybe even a striker for the aerial threat in the air. Ultimately, earth ponies will be known for their defense.

Unicorns have it the hardest in Hoofball with the rule of having absolutely zero magic involved to influence the ball or others. If found guilty of breaking this rule, the player or manager would be handed an immediate red card, a 5-game suspension, and a hefty fine of 1,000 bits, making them a liability to the team and themselves. But that doesn’t take away what they can do on the pitch. As much as they don’t have speed or strength to their advantage, they make up for that in passing, control, and skill, making them perfect in the midfield or even on the wings of the pitch. Anywhere else, however, they would have a hard time unless there was a strategy in place.

Pegasus, however, are the bread and butter of the game. Of course, just like the unicorns and their magic, pegasus are restricted from using their wings in any way, shape, or form, rendering their wings useless in hoofball. If used in any way, the player will be handed an immediate red card, a 5-match suspension, and a 1,000 bit fine. Using magic and wings in hoofball has a zero-tolerance policy.
Out of the Earth Ponies and Unicorns, Pegasus were the ones that every team wanted thanks to their speed and dribbling, making them a constant threat to the goal and defense. They are the strikers, the wingers, the center forwards and central attacking midfielders, the goal scorers of the game.

Amelia couldn't help but understand how Scootaloo mistakenly assumed she was a left winger. But she had to ask, "Why do you think I'm a left winger? I could have easily been a right winger."

Scootaloo simply replied, "I noticed that you push off your left foot when you run." Amelia raised an eyebrow, impressed by Scootaloo's observation. Touché...

"Well, mate, you've got it all wrong. I'm not a winger at all. In fact, I'm the best goalkeeper around," Amelia boasted, crossing her arms and wearing a smug smirk. Scootaloo finally showed a hint of emotion, raising an eyebrow and clearly unimpressed by Amelia's claim. But then, out of nowhere, Scootaloo burst into laughter, a laughter so contagious that it made Amelia take a step back in shock. Where did that come from?

Amelia raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms, asking with a cheeky grin, "What's so funny?"

Scootaloo continued to mock, "A goalkeeper... a pegasus... did you fall on your head when you were younger?" Amelia narrowed her eyes dangerously in response.

"What did you just say?" Amelia growled, her temper flaring as her hands clenched into fists.

"Didn't you hear me? Are you brain-dead? A pegasus can't possibly be a goalkeeper! It's been like that forever! Besides, you're smaller than me. What are you going to do in goal with your small arms and legs?" Scootaloo pushed on with her mockery, sporting a sly grin that made Amelia grit her teeth.

"Take that back!" Amelia stepped forward, getting dangerously close to Scootaloo. But Scootaloo remained unfazed.

"Or what? Are you going to do something, birdbrain?" Scootaloo taunted, pressing her head against Amelia's. Both of them locked eyes in a fierce glare.

"I hope you like hospital food!"

In a split second, both Amelia's and Scootaloo's left hands reached out for each other's collars and with their other hands, pulling back their fists to strike and before they could pull the trigger on the punch, a roar rang out.

"Hold your horses there, gals!" a sudden voice rang out in an orderly tone, a tone that had a twang to the accent, almost like a cowboy from those movies. The two turned, only for Amelia's eyes to shoot wide open in astonishment. There she was in all her radiant glory, Applejack, the manager of the toffees, walking over with a cross look. "Scootaloo! What are you doing bothering the village folk, y'all?" Applejack said towards Scootaloo, begrudgingly making Scootaloo let go of Amelia and huff with annoyance.

"Nothing, I'm just telling this filly what is and what isn't in hoofball. She still doesn't understand," Scootaloo snarled, crossing her arms as she gave Amelia the side eye.

Amelia's eye twitched, the urge to show her what a goalkeeper's fist can really do. "Cheeky sod…" Amelia mumbled, crossing her arms too as she glared at Scootaloo.

"Amelia! I hope you're not getting yourself into trouble!" a familiar voice spoke up behind Applejack, this time being the pleasant sight of Fluttershy, the mutts she had on a leash seeming calmer than before. She stood next to Applejack, who tilted her Stetson forward, to which Fluttershy replied with a warm smile. Amelia needed to reboot her brain and replace a fuse in the fuse box to process what was going on right before her eyes. Applejack is talking to Fluttershy, and Fluttershy is talking back like friends!? What is going on right now? Why didn't Fluttershy tell me that she was friends with the town's football manager!?

It almost took away from the fact that she was being told off.

"She started it! All I wanted was to get that stupid letter for Derpy!" Amelia exclaimed, pointing a finger at Scootaloo with the letter in her hand. Fluttershy didn't look amused, a brow rising slightly. Fluttershy sighed, looking towards Scootaloo and lowering her head down.

"I'm sorry, Scootaloo. Forgive Amelia if she gave you any trouble," Fluttershy said sincerely, making Amelia widen her eyes in shock.

"What... Don't apologize to her! She's unbearab-"

"Amelia! Apologies!" Fluttershy said, raising her voice for the first time since living with Fluttershy, shocking Amelia more than it should have. Amelia didn't think she had it in her. But that shock dwindled into anger, clenching her teeth in frustration. Fluttershy's head shouldn't be so low, she shouldn't have to apologize on her behalf, she shouldn't have to apologize at all! Not to someone as stuck up as her! Amelia tried to be nice, but Scootaloo spat in her face in return. This is wrong, dead wrong.

"No! I don't have to apologize to her!" Amelia said in outrage, making Fluttershy's head rise in shock. Amelia turned to Scootaloo, who wore a cocky smirk. "And you! I don't want you to tell me what I can and can't be again. I'm a goalkeeper and a damn good one at that, I can prove it!" Then Amelia's head snapped to Applejack, a determined look on her face. She was gonna ask for the single for a chance of a lifetime. "Applejack! If you'll have me, let me prove in the Toffee's training tonight that despite who I am, I can play in goal!"

"Get real, squirt. You'll only be wasting our time. We don't need to give you any more attention than you already have," Scootaloo brushed off, sniggering to herself.

Fluttershy was stunned, frozen, a look of awe on her face. Fluttershy didn't know whether to be worried or amazed by Amelia's determined boldness. She didn't know what was said, but it really did start a fire in her eyes. An emerald flame burning brightly.

Applejack, however, said nothing, didn't even look amused by Amelia's claim to be a goalkeeper. Amelia couldn't tell if she was in thought or debating whether to acknowledge the thought of having a Pegasus playing in goal in her training quarters. Now that Amelia thought about it, she has no right to ask Applejack—the manager of a professional football club—to prove herself. That's not how it works, certainly not where she is a human, at least. If it was as simple as asking for a chance, there would be a line a mile long, and Applejack would be harassed to no end. That wouldn't be fair. So... why hasn't Applejack turned me down yet?

"Applejack... don't tell me you're actually thinking about it," Scootaloo said with skepticism, narrowing her brows. Applejack had a hand over her mouth while the other crossed her chest, leaning to one side in thought.

"As odd as it may sound, Scoots, this filly has caught my attention. I've never heard of a Pegasus in goal before in my lifetime... it makes me think... hey! How long have you played in goal?" Applejack suddenly said, making Amelia perk up.

"Oh, as long as I can remember. Since when I was 5 maybe..." Amelia muttered, scratching her cheek with a finger. Amelia watched as Applejack looked her over, capturing every minor detail of Amelia, from her height to her width, from her structure to her features, eyes, and hands. She considered her. Applejack's eyes widened a little when her eyes landed on her hands, stepping forward to get a better look.

"Show me your hands!" Applejack asked, kneeling down to Amelia's height, confusing Amelia greatly.

"Ehhh, alright..." Amelia said unsurely, showing Applejack the palm of her hands. Applejack took Amelia's hand into hers, feeling the palm of her hand, and what she felt and saw made her eyes widen fully, her mouth slightly open. She had seen hands like these before.

"I want to see what you've got, Amelia," Applejack said, standing back up. "Tonight, 8 o'clock, the Toffee's training ground, don't be late."

"What!? AJ! You can't be serious! She just can't-"

"You got it! You won't regret this!" Amelia said with a beaming smile. "Thank you so much!" Those were the last words Amelia said before running off home to get her things ready for tonight.

Fluttershy was speechless and confused. She knew for a fact that the only way to train with the senior players was to climb up the ranks from the academy. Amelia was neither a listed player nor a graduate of the academy, so what made Amelia special? What did Applejack see in those small hands?

"What were you thinking, Applejack? She is just some random filly! Why does she get the chance to train with the first team!?" Scootaloo shouted in a mix of anger and confusion, her grip wrinkling the letter.

"That's enough, Scootaloo. I'll see you tonight," Applejack said abruptly, making Scootaloo growl.

"But Applejack!"

"I said that's enough! This isn't any of your concern." Applejack said more sternly, the rigor in her voice was enough to make Scootaloo snarl and sulk.

"Whatever... here, this letter is for you. That birdbrain was chasing it for whatever reason," Scootaloo muttered, turning away with her hands in her pockets. She walked off without another word, though Applejack could hear her muttering to herself. Applejack frowned, seeing that young Scootaloo's attitude hadn't changed much since her debut match. She hoped that it would mature her, to wipe that negative competitive side of her from her mindset. But now it seemed to be a mistake; it just made her worse.

"Applejack... I want to thank you for giving Amelia a chance, but I have to ask... why?" Fluttershy spoke up, her voice tinged with a mix of curiosity and concern. She stood beside Applejack, her gaze fixed on her friend. Applejack turned to face her, a knowing grin spreading across her face.

"Don't y'all go tellin' me ya ain't noticed what she's got in her hands. It only took me a few ticks to see it. Surely y'all saw it too," Applejack exclaimed, her excitement palpable. Fluttershy, however, looked ahead, her expression guarded, as if trying to hide her thoughts. But Applejack saw right through her, like peering through a fragile glass. The tension between them grew, hanging in the air like an unspoken secret. "You've seen it... Do you understand what that means, Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy's frown deepened, her head lowering further, as if burdened by the weight of her knowledge. A heavy sigh escaped her lips, filled with a mixture of sadness and apprehension. Her voice, barely above a whisper, carried a sense of urgency. "I have seen it... And I do understand what it means," she admitted, her words laced with unspoken fear. "I noticed it the moment I met her. I've always wondered how someone like her ended up with those hands. The worst part is, I don't even think she realizes how special they truly are. She goes about her days without a clue."

"I don't rightly understand, Fluttershy. This here's a good ol' thing! As peculiar as it may sound, she's got a heap of potential to be the best darn goalkeeper of her whole dang generation! So why in tarnation do ya sound... sad?" Applejack said with a frown dawning on her features, genuine bafflement written all over her face. "Don't you want her to see her grow up to be an amazing goalkeeper?"

It was silent for a moment, the tension so thick between the two that the background voices and sounds seemed to be blocked between them. Applejack narrowed her eyes. Why did this suddenly get heated? Why did she get upset? Wait... is it because of that incident?

"Fluttershy... don't tell me it's because of what happened to you."

Fluttershy didn't reply, nor did she look like she was going to reply with her distant look and a disdainful frown curling on her face.

"You can't keep letting that one bad experience define what hoofball is."

"I took her to the match on Sunday, you know. To test a theory, to see if my fears were correct. Now that I know she loves hoofball, I can't protect her from a sport that she has so much passion for. I can only hope for nothing but the best for her now," Fluttershy shook her head slightly, a gloomy look on the Pegasus's face.

"Wait... Fluttershy... are you telling me that... that..."

"Yes... I despise hoofball with all my heart."

What happened to Fluttershy?

What does Scootaloo have against Amelia?

What did Applejack see in those hands?

What was in that letter?

Find out in the next chapter!

PS: Hope you liked my little experiment to let you choose the outcome of the chapter despite leading to the same thing. Let me know if I should do more of that!