• Published 26th Nov 2023
  • 927 Views, 33 Comments

Restoring a wasteland. - Aiwhisper



When Sunset returned to Equestria she got her old wish, but at what cost.

  • ...
3
 33
 927

Prolog

Sunset Shimmer shivered as she once again checked the time on her phone. "Almost time." She tentatively put a hand on the base of the statue she had tumbled out years ago after putting her phone back in her pocket. The stone remained solid yet she could feel the magic building.

"Soon I will return home. I Can't believe I have been in this world for so long." She looked at her hands and flexed her fingers. The appendage had grown on her, hands were not quite as pliable as horn or hoof magic yet she could see the benefit of having a physical grip on something for the tactical feedback alone.

"I hope Princess Celestia can forgive me when I return." She thought back about Principle Celestia who had finally 'put her foot down' on a day she had been more upset then usual and gotten Sunset to turn her act around. The woman had know about Sunset being an orphan, as her story went, yet finally had enough with her attitude and provided the real help she needed, starting with making amends to those she had wronged.

"I still can't believe Fluttershy forgave me so quickly." She sighed and thought of her budding friendships. She was not looking forward to leaving everyone behind yet, her urge to return home had only grown after turning over her new leaf. She still hadn't told anyone about where she was really from and it was getting harder to keep it from them.

Shivering again in the night air she wrapped her jacket tighter. "Really glad I brought all those gems and bits with me to pawn off." She laughed to herself at the memory of her first attempt at buying food and causing the guy behind the register to faint at the sight of gold. “Don’t know what I would have done without money.”

Finding shelter, clothing, food, even an identity had been easy with money, even if her supply was running low. As she reminisced about her time here on earth her alarm finally went off and the portal before her became active. "Well time to go home." She took her first step and fell through the rainbow gateway.


"Hello there." I snorted and ignored the voice. I was in bed, who would be talking to me. "Wake up human."

I rolled over and felt myself falling off my bed. "Wha?"

I opened my eyes and couldn't see anything as I grabbed my bed and tried to stand up. No, I could see a dimly floating magenta crystal in the shape of a star at the foot of my bed. It provided the only light in this dark void. "Um, Hello?"

"Hello human. I take it you have many questions but we do not have time so I will be blunt. You have died and lost your name." A feminine voice emanated from the crystal explained. She continued to speak as I just stared. "I have chosen your soul to help my last follower with a nearly impossible task and kept your skills as a gift to aid in your endeavors."

"Last follower?" I finally found my voice. "Who are you?"

"Yes my last. I had no Idea any were left alive after Celestia went mad from grief yet she, Sunset Shimmer, returned to me." The crystal looked to be slowly dimming. "As for who I am. I am Magic, a part of Harmony."

"Why me though? Why Am I dead." I shouted now. I felt like I knew those names but the memory didn't come to me right away.

"I am sorry but there is no time left. I need to send you to her before the opertunity closes. We will have plenty more time to speak once you have started your task. Find me once you both have settled in." She finished with a blinding flash and I disappeared just after remembering. Those names were from a TV show I loved.


As Sunset looked around the dark room she arrived in, a headache began to form. She rubbed her forehead with her hoof and bumped into her horn. She began rubbing the area right below it, where the pressure was building. "Hello?" She groaned.

Igniting her horn lessened the pain slightly and allowed her to take in her surroundings. "Well Judging by the stonework I'm back in Canterlot Castle, probably in a storage room."

She easily found the door and stepped out into the hall only to be met with a wave of heat. "Ug, why is it so hot in here this place has the best temperature crystals."

Stepping into the hall she made her way over to the window as sweat began to accumulate on her fur exacerbating her headache. "What in the world?!?"

Her jaw dropped. There was nothing but a wasteland outside of the window. The palace gardens were a dried husk of their former splendor and it looked to be even hotter outside. Covering her face a bit she looked towards the skyline and spotted the sun was stopped just before sunset. "What happened here?"

She sat down as the realization her home was a wasteland washed over her yet she couldn't even grieve as the pain in her head became unbearable and she screamed before passing out.


When I woke up I was looking at an alicorn version of Sunset Shimmer. I never thought she became one.

Reaching out, I stopped myself when I noticed my lavender hoof. Finding a mirror on the nearby wall I slowly walked over to it and looked myself over.

I looked like a male version of Twilight Sparkle after her ascent into an alicorn. Checking my Cutie mark I found it was almost exactly the same except there was a crescent moon hugging the starburst. Reaching up I tapped my horn with a hoof and felt an uncomfortable tingle then fluffed my wings. So not a dream. I am somehow Dusk Shine, Twilight's male alter ego.

Turning around I looked towards Sunset who sounded like she was waking up. "Hey you alright?" I made my way over and gave her a hoof. Luckily 'Magic' gave this body some instincts so I'm not tripping over myself.

"No. No. No!" She ignored me and scrambled up to the window. When I looked out I could see what had her so panicked. Equestria looked like a wasteland, it was almost like. The timeline is wrong. I sat on my rump. Sunset is the last one alive?

"Who are you?" Sunset turned to me growling with wings flared and a lit horn. "Did you do this?"

I held my hooves up. "Of course not. I just got here."

Sunset looked confused and backed down just a bit. "Explain."

"First, why not take a look at your sides." I pointed with a hoof. She was slow but eventually looked and did a great impression of a fish.

"Wings? Why do I have wings now?" She yelled as they flared from her reaction. She jumped and did a few circles trying to get a closer look. In the process of her jumping she ran into me and we both fell down.

"Please, tell me what's going on." Sunset begged, tears forming in her eyes.

"I don't really know, I do have a theory. My name is... Dusk Shine by the way." I held out a hoof.

She gave it a cautious bump, "Sunset Shimmer."

I gave her a smile then we both looked out the window and frowned. "Let's find somewhere to talk."