• Published 24th Nov 2023
  • 343 Views, 134 Comments

Tales from a Con - Admiral Biscuit



Fizzy Glitch has opened the Book of All Stories, and that means anything can happen in any story! A collection of my submissions to the PVCF app, with a few bonus chapters that failed moderation!

  • ...
1
 134
 343

219 Stand By Me

Stand by Me

Huckleberry circled over town, searching for his friend. This time of day, she’s sometimes hanging out around Sugarcube Corner . . . or she might still be back at school.

The thought of going back to school when he didn’t have to grated at him. He didn’t have classes right now and no homework that urgently needed to be done, so there was no reason to be cooped up in a building when he could be out and free. Going back to the school would be a reminder of the shackles that bound him, the teachers that clip his wings.

And then he spotted her, walking away from Sugarcube Corner, a giant cinnamon roll floating in her field. Citrine Spark’s yellow coat and blue mane really stand out.

He caught a wing on a thermal and twisted, losing altitude, arcing around until he was lined up in front of her. Her ears went up and her eyes followed as he came in for a landing, skidding to a stop on the road.

“Hey.”

“Hey,” Huckleberry replied back. “Dinner?”

“Just a snack.” She took a bite and held it out to her. “Want some?”

“Well. . . .”

“It’s more than I can eat.” Citrine floated it in front of his muzzle.

Huckleberry nibbled on an unbitten edge. It was delicious—he’d expect nothing less from Sugarcube Corner. Everything there was made with love.

And lots of sugar and butter.

He fluffed his wings as Citrine Spark took another bite. “Hey, you like blueberries, don’t you?”

“Yeah, who doesn’t?” She looked him over. “Why?’

“Well.” He moved closer, ready to impart a great secret. She hovered the cinnamon roll near his muzzle and he couldn’t help but take another bite before speaking. “I was flying around and I found a great patch of wild blueberries just outside town.”

“Really?”

He nodded. “Ripe and juicy.”

“How far out of town?”

•••

The two of them turned as they passed the train station. “It’s not a direct path,” he explained, “but I was following the railroad tracks when I saw them, so if we follow them we’ll get there.”

Citrine gave the tracks a dubious look and then turned back to the pegasus. “It’s not safe to walk on the tracks, a train could come along and squish us.”

“We'd hear it coming,” he said. “And then engineer would blow the whistle. Besides, we're not walking on the tracks, we’re walking next to them.” He gestured with a hoof. “It’s open along the side, and we’ll be clear of any trains.”

“Hmm.” She looked at him, back at the station, and then down the tracks, studying where the rails converged down the line. It’s a weird illusion from being on the ground—they don’t look like that in the air. “Okay.”

“Good choice,” he said. “All we’ve got to do is keep the tracks on our right, and we’ll get there.”

•••

He could fly ahead, but he didn’t. The two talked about schoolword and teachers and classmates and then life in general. Citrine was a very chatty pony, which was more noticeable after leaving Ponyville behind. Even on the ground, Huckleberry was used to being alone when he was out in the wilds. Still, it was nice to have company; the mostly one-sided conversation made the trek go faster.

There are places where there was practically a road alongside the tracks, and other times where it narrowed down. Walking on the sloping ballast wasn’t any fun; the rocks seemed solid but the shifted underhoof. The second time they got to a narrow spot, they checked in both directions for oncoming trains, and when they didn’t see any, they walked between the rails, adjusting their gait to match the spacing of the crossties.

An hour in, the modified gait is second nature.

“Are we close?”

Huckleberry wasn’t sure. If he was up in the air, he’d know. “Hold on, let me check.”

“‘Cause I don’t want to be out after dark.”

He took flight and climbed above the trees, orienting himself. He was still close enough to Ponyville to see some buildings, although they were hazy with the distance. Up ahead, he could clearly see the twisting path of the river—the blueberries are just on the other side of that, in a forest glade.

As he came down for a landing, he noticed how his perspective changed from a progressively lower altitude. Something he rarely thought about, since he didn’t often land on railroad tracks in a forest.

“Well?”

“Yeah, we’re really close. They’re just the other side of the river.”

“Good thing I wore my saddlebags.” She floated teh cinnamon roll out of them and nibbled on it, then offered Huckleberry a bite. “Alright, let’s go.”

The ground near the river was soft and wet—the land dropped away and the railroad stayed level, first on an embankment and then a wooden trestle.

Without even thinking, the two of them scrambled up the weed-choked embankment until they were on the tracks again; in a few minutes more they were on the trestle.

Huckleberry’s mind was focused on wild blueberries—he’d already caught a whiff of them, a tantalizing scent that wasn’t quite masked by the river and the soggy ground and the stink of the crossties. He couldn’t see them just yet, but he could see where the trees thinned out.

His hoof slipped and dropped between a pair of ties, and he jerked it back, refocusing his attention down to the ties, then he looked back to see how she was doing. Citrine was a few ponylengths behind, her head down, concentrating on her footing. What had been natural pace on the ballasted track now felt awkward when there was only air between the crossties.

Just then, Huckleberry felt the trestle start to tremble.

The curve leading up to the trestle was subtle, unremarkable—but it masked a train from view for longer than either of them had anticipated. The Friendship Express comes into view and a second later you hear the first warning whistle.

For Huckleberry, it was a no-brainer: he snapped out his wings and leapt off the side of the bridge. He looked back, expecting Citrine Spark to be right on his tail, but she wasn’t.

Of course she wasn’t. She had a horn, not wings.

She snapped her head back, estimating the train’s speed, the distance to the water, and the distance to the opposite bank.

Huckleberry did the same. He didn’t like the answers he was coming up with.

She burst into a gallop, trying to outrun the train, her hooves flying over the perilous footing. One slip, and that would be it.


[CHOICE]

>Fly in and save her; you got her into this mess (hero)
>She’s got this, she’s faster than she looks (chaos)


[CHOICE A: Hero]

Pure instinct kicked in. Huckleberry snapped around in the air, rolling to gain speed. He locked eyes on where her path and his would intersect, and it’s going to be uncomfortably close to locomotive, but what choice did he have? He’d invited her out for blueberries, enticed her to cross the bridge, and he’d never be able to live with himself if something happened to her.

The locomotive whistle was screaming in his ears and the train’s brakes were shrieking and he tuned that out as he flexed his primaries and altered his course ever so slightly. He had one chance to make this work.

He slammed into her, wrapping his forehooves around her barrel as he pulled up and back. The train roared by, bathing them in a blast of steam, followed by a rain of cinders. You hear the engineer shouting at you but can’t tell what he’s saying over all the noise.

It’s probably for the best.

Citrine is heavy for a unicorn and Huckleberry had never been going at carrying a pony, but adrenaline did strange things. He glided across the river and landed on the bank, the two of them skidding to a stop in the mud.

Both ponies watched wide-eyed as the train disappeared in the forest.

Citrine Spark got to her hooves first, and shook off what mud she could. She looked at the trestle, and then back at Huckleberry. “Let’s not do that again.”


[CHOICE B: Chaos]

Huckleberry was completely frozen and could only watch as she sped up, flying across the crossties with a mechanical monster hot on her tail. It was catching up fast—but not fast enough. With one final leap, she cleared the tracks and skidded to a halt on the soggy ground. The train roared past, its whistle shouting out one last note of displeasure.

“Whoo, what a run!” She looked back at the railroad tracks.

“I’m so sorry,” Huckleberry said, fluttering to a landing beside her. “This is gonna sound so dumb, but I forgot you couldn’t fly.”

“Oh.” She regarded him thoughtfully, a strange glint in her eyes. “But I did fly, faster than a train. Stars, that was invigorating.” She leaned over and gave him a nuzzle. “I wonder how long I could keep ahead of a train?”