• Published 20th Jan 2012
  • 2,768 Views, 18 Comments

Doctor Whooves; Series 1 - Tiedye3000

  • ...
4
 18
 2,768

Sudden Changes

The planet of Astil, the biggest planet in its universe, with its large golden ring swirling endlessly through it, swam through the outer reaches of space. It had no known life on its surface, no known food, and no known markings. All it was known for was being the only planet to have the ability to move. It hadn't just been in one galaxy, but nearly 2,000. Its climates kept changing along with it as it went, picking up more sightings as moved from galaxy to galaxy. But never in its history has it ever been seen to inhabit two strangers who crash-landed on its' surface. Only once has anyone ever been there, and only once. It was certainly an unexpected sight to astronomers all over space to see a flying blue telephone box hurtling towards it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ditzy!" Called the Doctor as he held onto the main console in the control room to his crashing ship, "We're probably going to crash who-knows-where in the year who-knows-when unless you do me a quick favor!"
"And what would that be?" Ditzy Doo (or Derpy Hooves) called back from the opposite side.
"I need you," the Doctor yelled, "too eat this apple! Don't miss it!"
He tossed an apple across the shaking TARDIS to his companion, who almost missed it. She looked taken aback by this unusual command, but, knowing the Doctor, knew it must be important. She stuffed the entire thing into her mouth and swallowed it hardly without chewing.
"Whoa," the Doctor gasped, "I didn't know ponies could do that! I should try that some time. I wonder if it would work with an orange-?"
"Doctor!" Ditzy shouted desperately.
"Right!" The Doctor said, coming back to the present (or future, or past) and pulling a lever. The TARDIS began emitting a series of whooshing noises as it started its landing cycle.
"Now, Ditzy," the Doctor explained carefully as the TARDIS continued to shake, "I have no idea what or when will be out there, so I need you to remain with me if anything bad happens, unless I tell you otherwise, understand?"
Ditzy nodded her reply.
"Good, then off we go!" He galloped toward the door as the whooshing ended and the TARDIS stopped shaking. He fumbled the door handle with his hoofs. "I still haven't exactly conquered the strange requirement to use hoofs for everything instead of hands, could you get the door for me?"
"You're gonna have to learn sometime," Ditzy said as she walked to the door. She turned the handle easily and opened the door to a view of one the dullest planets she had ever seen.
"Ah, thank you, dear," the Doctor said happily as he walked out, "I still wonder how you do it, though."
"It just takes some practice, is all," she reassured him, "It took me years to figure it all out."
"Years, you say?" The Doctor asked, looking around at the sky.
"Yes, years. I was a bit slower on the uptake then the other fillies my age."
"A bit expected, if I do say so myself," the Doctor stated, eyeing the horizon.
"What?" Ditzy asked in an offended tone, "That I'd be the last of my age group to learn how to be a pony?"
"Are you still on that?" The Doctor asked in a surprised tone as he turned to face Ditzy, "No, I was talking about the scenery. It certainly fits with this incredible heat. And look around you! Apart from us and the TARDIS, there's nothing else to be seen. Not even the ground has anything on it." He bent to the ground underneath him and began prodding it with his hoofs, not making a dent in it. "No grass, no sand, no dirt, no soil, no flowers." He got up again and slowing revolved on the spot. "No civilizations, no geographic features, no water, no fire, no cold, a bit of heat. Other than that, nothing. Nothing whatsoever."
"Doctor," Ditzy asked suspiciously, "Where are we?"
The Doctor didn't answer at first. He was still looking around at the surroundings. Finally, after about a minute, he turned and looked at Ditzy reproachfully.
"I dunno," he said simply, "For once I have no clue."
"But you have too have some idea!" Ditzy asked, "You're the Doctor!"
"No clue," he repeated, "You can't expect me to know everything, Ditzy. I've never seen this planet before. Nine hundred years of time traveling and I've never even caught a glimpse. I don't know what we'll meet or what we'll see."
"What will we do, then?" Ditzy asked nervously.
"Good point, I forgot about that part," the Doctor answered, "This is a completely new experience for the both of us. There's nothing around here, probably nothing anywhere. As far as I know, we're no where."
They looked at each other for a moment, neither saying anything.
"It's really hot out here," Ditzy complained, "Can we go inside?"
"Yeah, we should probably go," the Doctor agreed, "Being on a hostile planet that has extreme heat with no sun has to be a bad place."
"No sun!?" Ditzy screamed as her blonde mane whipped up toward the sky. There, she could see a blue atmosphere without a sun. "How is that possible?"
"I think I'm starting to remember." The Doctor said with his thinking face on. Suddenly he had an uneasy face, and he turned his head quickly Ditzy. "We need to get out of here."
"What?" Ditzy asked, but the Doctor had already taken her by the arms and began galloping quickly back to the TARDIS. He shoved her rudely inside and locked the door hurriedly behind them.
"Doctor!" Ditzy called to him as he raced to the control panel. He threw on his glasses and rapped the screen of one of the monitors.
"I knew it!" He shouted triumphantly, "We're not just no where, we're not anywhere! We're on the planet that doesn't stay still! Those rocks outside weren't there before, and... oh, look! They've gone again!"
Ditzy approached the monitor to view the exterior of the TARDIS, and weather patterns kept changing: First it was raining, then snowing, then a drought, etc.
"But that doesn't make sense!" Ditzy gasped.
"Exactly!" The Doctor said excitedly, "Nothing makes sense here! This is the only planet where nothing makes sense! The weather changes miraculously, the settings change randomly... Ditzy, this is the only planet in the entire solar system that even moves! This is the planet Astil! That's why the TARDIS went out of control unexpectedly. That's why there's no sun!"
He looked both ecstatic and disinclined.
"So why do we have to go?" Ditzy asked disconcertingly, "It sounds like fun!"
"If nothing makes sense, then neither will the science. One of us could die randomly, or we could get stuck in quicksand and then freeze into rock, or I could regenerate for no purpose, et cetera, et cedera. I don't want to go yet, and I've already done it nine times, why do I have to do it ten?"
"But if nothing making sense makes sense, then wouldn't some things not making sense make sense?"
"Don't confuse me about this!" The Doctor shrieked, and, without warning, he began twisting nobs and pushing buttons on the main control panel very violently.
"What are you doing?" Ditzy continued her asking.
"Taking us home, or at least our planet," he said, but just then one of the controls caught fire and immediately extinguished itself, and then flickered back on. Another control burst apart and then repaired itself again, but almost instantly split apart again.
"No!" The Doctor yelled, "No, no, no, not in my TARDIS!" He whipped out his sonic screwdriver and aimed it at the fires and exploding objects. They slowed down, and then stopped completely at their original state.
"What was that?" Ditzy asked, horrified at the sudden chaos, "A time loop?"
"No," he said, putting away his sonic, "It was worse. Much, much worse."
And then, without anything to show a warning, the TARDIS shut down. The lights blinked out, the switches turned off, and a low whistle drowned and died. Everything had gone offline.
Ditzy and the Doctor remained there in silence, looking around at the dark interior.
"Doctor-" Ditzy began, but the Doctor raised a hoof.
"That's enough questions for an hour, I think," he said with a reluctant look on his face. He sighed. "I'm afraid the TARDIS has died. I have no idea when she'll be back up again, but with this planet, nothing is predictable."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"So, explain to me how this all works," Ditzy said as she and the Doctor walked through a jungle, "We were just walking through what could've been the Sierras, now we're walking through what looks like Africolt. But inside the TARDIS the scenery changed quickly, almost too quickly for my eyes to catch. Not that I can really catch anything with these." She added, pointing to her crossed pupils.
"Um, yeah," The Doctor said awkwardly, "Uh... how to put this delicately... there's a reason why this planet can move, and it's because... well... the planet's a living creature. And when ever it moves, the scenery and weather changes along with it. It's why we're hardly meeting anything. Well, other than plants, I suppose. Good day to you, sir." He said to a tree branch. He took hold of it and shook it merrily, breaking it off its tree.
"Yes, I suppose," Ditzy said, looking strangely a the Doctor. He looked thoughtfully at the branch he was holding and tossed it behind him. He beamed and continued walking with Ditzy.
"I need to meet what I can," the Doctor shrugged.
"So," she continued, "the reason why the scenery and weather aren't changing now is because the planet (or what ever it is) isn't moving?"
"Precisely," he said proudly, "Couldn't have put it better myself! All though I think I would've said something around the lines of 'The cause of the atmospheric and hemispheric transformation is due to the fact of the planetary movement, and thus cannot convert until the alien life form piloting itself moves to a separate location', but that's beside the point. We can't wander too far from the TARDIS, otherwise we may miss the chance it powers back on again."
"So what do we do in the meantime?" Ditzy asked in a bored tone, "There's nothing to do here! If this planet is so random, why is it still so boring?"
"Give it time," the Doctor said, "It should happen any second now..."
Then suddenly, the setting changed rapidly again. The jungle had vanished, and it was replaced with city in ruins. The weather was first hailing, then sleeting. It then began raining fish, then hotdogs, and then ice cream.
"What in Equestria?" Ditzy said shockingly as the ice cream turned to chocolate.
"We're not in Equestria," The Doctor said as the chocolate turned into pink hair, "We're on Astil."
"Why is the weather acting like this?" Ditzy asked as the hair turned into bouncy balls.
"I think it's because the creature is gaining speed," the Doctor said, "The more coal used on a train, the faster it goes. Extremely random things are falling out of the sky now, and I expect that counts as energy for the beast."
"So the thing causing the randomness is basically creating its own fuel?"
"That's what they'd say to simple minded ponies, yes," the Doctor said rudely, "The creature --it's called an Astilight, by the way-- is in charge of its own weather, meaning it can make the sky do anything. Look at the clouds." He pointed to the sky, and Ditzy looked up to see shapes in the clouds. It was now raining ping pong balls.
"So what?" She said, "Clouds make shapes all the time. We pegasi, while on duty, love making shapes in the clouds when we schedule showers or storms. It brightens the moods and entertains the ponys!"
"Yeah," the Doctor agreed, still looking at the clouds, "That's certainly entertaining all right."
Ditzy looked back up and let out a gasp of shock and surprised humor. The clouds were shaped as various things doing different stuff; one cloud looked like three fillies playing skip rope; one looked like a colt eating ice cream.
"I've noticed the balls falling from the sky are increasing in size," he said, and Ditzy looked up and nearly got her head taken off by a falling bowling ball. "We should probably check back with the TARDIS now."
"Naw, I'm enjoying the bowling ball rain," Ditzy said sarcastically, "Maybe I'll get my boots on later and go splashing in puddles!"
The Doctor burst out laughing. "Ponies? In rain boots? I've never thought of that before! Oh, what a sight that would be!"
A bowling ball landed inches away from Ditzy and bounced right off the ground as if it were rubber. Ditzy shrieked and took off running.
"Ditzy!" The Doctor called after her, "Ditzy, come back, the TARDIS is this way!"
Ditzy continued to run passed the ruined buildings while continuing to dodge the bowling balls. One struck her hind hoof and she tumbled in pain, falling to the ground as she did so. She rolled onto her back and looked up to see it was now raining boulders, and one was headed right her her head.
"Well, goodbye world, or Astilight, I guess," she mumbled, and braced for death. But instead of the sound of a falling rock and the feeling of her head being squashed, she instead heard an electric whooshing noise, a sonic buzzing, and felt tiny stones tapping her facial features. She opened her eyes to see the Doctor smiling down at her, the sonic screwdriver in his mouth.
"Up you go," he grunted through his teeth as he helped her up, "Onwards and upwards!"
Ditzy staggered to stand up right and looked behind the Doctor to see that the TARDIS had rebooted.
"Doctor, a boulder hit my leg," she moaned when she tried to walk as she boulders fell behind her, "I think it's broken."
"Never fear!" He said as he took her shoulder and helped her inside, "The Doctor is in."
He sat Ditzy on a chair near the control panel and went to close the door, but he hesitated in doing so.
"What's wrong, Doctor?" Ditzy moaned.
"Nothing," the Doctor replied, "Just taking a last look before we leave." He reached his hoof out the door and brought it back in (obviously holding something) and closed the door. He spat out his screwdriver at the foot of the control panel and tucked whatever he had in his shirt pocket. He pulled a few levers and pushed a few buttons, and the familiar whooshing sound echoed through the room.
"Now, then," he said, walking over to Ditzy, "About your leg." He grabbed his sonic screwdriver in his hoofs (sloppily, but progressively) and buzzed it over her leg. "Just as you predicted, I'm afraid. That's a broken bone all right. It's okay, though, because that apple you ate earlier wasn't just an apple, but an apple grown specially on the planet Gravtin, the planet of health. That bone should grow back in just seconds by now.
"Then why did you say it would help with the landing?" Ditzy asked loudly.
"Well, you wouldn't have eaten it at the time if I told you it was just a regular apple," the Doctor said, checking his wrist watch, "Should be good by now. Go on, try it out!"
Ditzy readied her body for fall as she slowly ascended from the chair. But her hoof felt normal, as if it hadn't broken anything at all! She looked down at her hoof and wiggled it, then trotted around the TARDIS. When she stopped, she stared at the Doctor in wonder.
"There are things I still don't understand about you, Doctor," she said happily.
"You'd die before you knew even half of me," he chuckled, "Well, what do you say? Ready for a trip to the Moons of Cascade? I hear it's really fun floating around and trying to hold on!"
"Actually, Doctor, I think I'm done with traveling," Ditzy announced with a bit of reluctance, "I feel like you've shown me everything I never would've thought existed, and that's all I can ask for."
The Doctor looked at Ditzy with sudden sadness in his eyes. "I've taken you all across time and space, Ditzy. I think you may be right. Maybe it is time for you too go. But first, I need to ask you. Are you absolutely sure? I've had companions before who thought they wanted to go..."
The Doctor remembered a certain purple maned pony with a twinkle for a cutie mark.
"Yes, Doctor," Ditzy said, "I haven't seen Dinky in ages, and I'd like you to make it feel like it was only a few seconds. And who knows? Maybe I'll call you up again?"
"Ditzy," the Doctor said seriously, "Once you go, you're likely to never see me again."
Ditzy's lazy eyes suddenly grew larger than the bowling ball rain. She looked as if those eyes would leak a few rivers. But the Doctor couldn't choose for her. It was entirely up to her if she wanted to go.
The Doctor could see where this was going, and he broke eye contact with Ditzy and walked to the main controls of his ship. He began dialing the coordinates to Ditzy's time and destination, but a grey hoof touched his, and he stopped in surprise.
"Actually," said Ditzy, "I think one last trip to 1776 would help me with my history."
The Doctor looked up a Ditzy, who looked like she was on the verge of tears. He started to tear up as well, and he pulled her into a hug before he could stop himself, and she hugged him back.
"Right then!" He said, clearly and happily as he let her go, "To 1776! I hope you're feeling a bit rebellious, Ditzy Doo!"
Ditzy giggled, and the Doctor typed in the time coordinates.
"You know, I think I'll make it the middle of 1776," he said, and he typed in an extra .5 to the coordinates, "After all, awesomeness is .5!"
Ditzy smiled excitedly, and the Doctor grinned back at her as he pulled the lever, and the whooshing sound echoed throughout the TARDIS.