• Published 20th Oct 2023
  • 112 Views, 2 Comments

Rarity Belle and the missing manuscript - Reily



A story Rarity is working on goes missing

  • ...
 2
 112

Chapter 4: Unraveling the Culprit

I suppose I was a wee bit peckish and could go for a light meal.

Besides, if Pinkie says to go to the Café Hay , it must be important.

I made my way out of the backdoor of the Sugarcube Corner and started my way down the road; once again doing my best to avoid stepping in the patches of mud and wet spots. Right along the path, was a long path of yellow ducks heading down the road.

You don’t see that everyday. An entire parade of ducks blocking the entire path up ahead and it’s too long to just go around.

Eventually the row passed, followed by Fluttershy who quietly whispered “Sorry”. I waved her off, then eventually managed to make my way to the Café Hay. I made my way past the mushroom tables and a brown stallion walked right in front of me.

“Pardon me miss,” an absolutely dashing brown stallion with a sophisticated white mane and neatly trimmed mustache beard combo greeted my sights.

My heart briefly went aflutter after looking at him. Plus check out that absolutely snazzy detective hat cutie mark. I think I’m in amore.

"W-would you like to join me for lunch this fine noon sir?"

With a firm nod, he said with a gruff voice "Sure".

We made our way down to a mushroom table and sat down. After a few brief moments, the waiter provided us with two complementary glasses of water with lemon wedges.
Talk about efficient service.

"So darling what brings you here from Canterlot?" I said, trying to make conversation.

"Just here to visit my sister and niece. I feel bad about missing my niece’s party last week. But you know how work can be. Even if we couldn't look more different, family still matters. "

A stallion after my own heart. Still that seems like a pretty important clue or remarkable coincidence; an uncle missing their niece’s birthday party. Hmmm.

“I understand the feeling. Working on custom dress commissions can take up so much time, I swear sometimes I worry about myself being worn ragged when I finally finish a set.”

The stallion glossed over the menu and nodded. Judging by the page he was on and how he was focusing on the top section , he was definitely eyeing the cauliflower steaks. He shot an inquisitive glance over here.

“So you’re a seamstress. That’s not the worst choice in careers. I’m a detective for a living.”

Finally our waiter, all dressed up in a fancy uniform complete with a twisty mustache showed up and said in a Prench accent “What can I get for you madame and monsieur?”

“I’ll have the garden salad with extra tomatoes, and the dashing stallion in front of me will have a medium well cauliflower steak with a slight honey drizzle and crispy dandelion stems as a garnish.”

The stallion nodded and we hoofed over our menus to the waiter.

"Quite a bold move. What made you sure that'd be what I wanted?"

Time to show that I've been paying attention. If I'm right about this, then maybe I can get another hint.

"Well darling. Judging from your eye movements on the menu , it was pretty clear that it seemed like you were leaning towards it. I see myself as a bit of a mystery buff. Though…there are a few enigmas of my own I can't solve."

I took a small sip of water, as I focused on relaying this information just right; being sure not to be too accusatory.

"Mainly , what would bring a filly to ransack a secret safe and only steal a story from there?"

The stallion in front of me just performed a spit take and nearly choked on his own water. In his eyes were a glimmer of recognition.

“I. Well that is. My niece has always had an interesting idea of getting her cutie mark ever since I told about my career. She’d borrow my magnifying glasses, my hoof printing kits, my handcuffs, and even case files to try to learn more about detective work. I’d tell her about it myself, but her mother doesn’t exactly approve of it. Too dark and scary for young filly minds.”

“I see…my little sister can be a little rambunctious as well. Her and her friends spend all the time together trying to find ways to get their cutie marks. And I’d hate to bail, but I need to head back to the library before it’s too late..At least let me pay for dinner though.”

I started pulling out some bits from my saddlebag and he just started putting them back.

“No need. Consider not worrying about the bill as an apology for the trouble my niece caused. For what it’s worth, maybe we can try going out to dinner sometime. My card.”

The stallion levitated his card in green magic and put it in my hooves.

“Theo Hoofington

Canterlot P.D” .

I put it in my saddlebag and bid the nice stallion ado; hoping to run into him again sometime in the future. But for now, places to be.