• Published 30th Sep 2023
  • 213 Views, 19 Comments

Funeral Pyre - VioletsInSpring



Tragedy besets Ponyville after an unknown monster appears. But is it really as otherworldly as it seems?

  • ...
 19
 213

Firewood (3/3)

“Did we learn anything from that?” Pinkie whispered to Rarity.

Rarity checked behind her, to determine both if Applejack was still following them and how closely.

Applejack stared vacantly at the ground in front of her.

“I don’t know yet,” Rarity whispered back.

“Should we suggest we call it for the day? AJ looks…”

“Tired,” Rarity responded. “Just one more today. Then we’ll have enough information to solve this thing. I know it.” She turned back to Applejack, “Applejack, darling, how are you feeling?”

Applejack grunted in response.

“We’re almost to Bosc’s stand, so not much more before we can start brainstorming what happened.”

Applejack’s look didn’t settle Rarity’s stomach. Rarity gave her a smile and turned back to the road.

“You sure that continuing is a good idea, I really think—”

“Yes, it is, darling.” Rarity whispered back, sharper than she had intended.

“Sorry…” Pinkie responded, looking at the bush alongside the road.

“I’m sorry dear,” Rarity sighed, “I shouldn’t be so short with you. I just… I really feel that this’ll work. I need… Applejack needs our help and… and this is the best way for us to do it.”

Pinkie didn’t respond for a moment. “Applejack’s going to need time to be okay. But she will be.”

Rarity hummed.

They travelled in silence to the Ponyville market. As they approached, Bosc, busy solemnly studying a jar of pear jam, looked up at the trio. She was immediately drawn to Applejack, lip quivering. She set down the jar, hoof shaking, and took a deep breath as they arrived.

“H-howdy y’all. Uh… sorry, sorry about what happened. To your… to Bright Mac and Pear Butter.” She coughed. “I…” she chuckled hollowly, “I’d offer you a pear, but I know you’re probably a bigger fan of apples.” She smiled at Applejack, but her eyes still had tears in them.

“Thanks,” Applejack replied, slowly. “I, I’m sure… well, did… did you end up talking to my ma… since y’all l—moved to Manehattan?”

Bosc looked over at Sour’s lemon stall. “I… y’all don’t wanna hear about that, do you?”

“Applejack’s writing a eulogy. She… knew you were family and thought she might incorporate it into the eulogy.”

“I… I’m sure you know it wasn’t… good terms.”

“We just wanted to hear what you have to say. AJ wanted a more complete picture of her parents and… you were her family before AJ,” Pinkie said.

“Well… alright,” Bosc replied. “I suppose you probably know the story from back in the day?”

Applejack nodded.

“Well… that was the last we spoke until I came back to town. I think it might’ve been the last any Pear spoke to her. I came back to Ponyville kinda on a whim, honestly. I guess I wanted to come back and see what had changed. What might’ve been the same. And… I did want to see Pear Butter.”

Bosc stared silently into space for a moment. “I never worked up the nerve to talk to her, but, while I was selling pears and jams and such, she came to me. We talked for a little. About how our lives had gone.

“It was… as awkward as I was afraid it would be. She… wanted to ask about Grand Pear, her father. I told her he was doing well. He still wasn’t ready to come back. Or venture out of the farm. I wish he had been.

“I thought maybe she wanted to come back. To rejoin the family. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t… We got into an argument. It was about the same thing it always was. It didn’t matter then, it doesn’t matter now. She stormed off.”

She wiped some tears from her eyes and sniffled. “I… I’m sorry I didn’t come. I saw the smoke. It… looked like it was over the forest. I thought it was. I… I didn’t know. I—”

“’Scuse me, I gotta…” Applejack interjected.

“AJ, are you—"

“I don’t…” She looked at Rarity and Pinkie as tears ran down her cheeks. She backed up before limping off.

Pinkie turned to Rarity, “I’m going to follow her.” She followed closely behind Applejack. After a moment, Pinkie put a hoof on Applejack’s back. Applejack didn’t relent.

Rarity turned to Bosc. “I’m very sorry about that. She’s—”

“Don’t worry about it. I… I’ve lost my fair share of family members too.” She picked up one of the jars of jam, watching its contents. “I’m sending a letter to the Pears. Hopefully at least a few of them will come down to pay respects. Then, maybe we can put this whole rift behind us.”

“Applejack will appreciate that.” Rarity wasn’t sure, but she thought it the best thing to say.

“Go to her. She’s… your friend. She needs you much more than I need you, right now.”

Rarity thought about staying anyway, but nodded and galloped towards Applejack and Pinkie.

Author's Note:

What is Bosc hiding? Will the Pears and Apples mend their rift? Will there be a Fiddler at the funeral? Is there even anywhere else this investigation could go? Find out in the next exciting update!

Feel free to enter some early guesses in the comments below! Be sure to put on spoiler tags for anyone who finds this after you!

If you find any perceived errors, please send me a message! Other kinds of criticism are appreciated in the comments :pinkiehappy: