• Published 30th Sep 2023
  • 213 Views, 19 Comments

Funeral Pyre - VioletsInSpring



Tragedy besets Ponyville after an unknown monster appears. But is it really as otherworldly as it seems?

  • ...
 19
 213

Firewood (2/3)

Applejack fidgeted in her seat. The tea Filthy’s servant had brought them was already cool. Pinkie had already finished hers. Occasional squeaking could be heard from above, and Applejack wondered exactly how many servants could be walking around this old house. And how many loose floorboards Filthy would allow.

Applejack finally picked up her tea. She had planned to leave it, so she’d have something to do if she got angry at Filthy. But if she sat here any longer… well, Applejack didn’t want to think of the outburst she might have when Filthy finally got here.

Pinkie and Rarity seemed to be inspecting the ceiling. Applejack stared at them for a few moments.

Rarity noticed first. “Something wrong, dear?”

Applejack shook her head.

Rarity looked like she wanted to say something, but Pinkie sat up. “Mr. Rich?”

Applejack turned to the entrance to the sitting room.

“I’d like to start by apologizing for my tardiness. I hope I didn’t keep you waiting long.”

“Not at all,” Rarity replied. “The tea we were provided was really quite delightful. Green Tea, I presume?”

“Nothing gets past your palette.” Filthy sat down opposite them all. “How are you, Applejack?”

Applejack didn’t trust her voice. “Fine enough, I guess.”

Filthy hummed. He didn’t say anything for a moment. “Is the farm doing well?”

“It’s doing… fine… some Apples are coming up to help out, for a while. They’re coming for the… funeral. The harvest should go well.”

“I know there are… extenuating losses… but… with regards to the actual orchard, how is it doing? Are… well, how is it?”

“We… I don’t…. we haven’t finished surveying the damages. It… seems bigger than… bigger than… I don’t know what, but I… we… don’t know which trees were killed yet. My.. my Pa had the most knowledge about which trees were where.”

“Can you—”

“We have a… a ledger.” Applejack paused.

“A ledger?”

“Of all the trees. Where they are and how old they were.”

“Well,” Filthy licked his lips. “I hope the damages aren’t substantial. If they are… I… I hope this doesn’t come off as … insensitive. But, I’m still willing to offer a very generous deal. If you need to sell that is. Oh, but do take your time deciding, I can wait as long as need be.”

Applejack remembered Filthy holding Apple Bloom, feeding her, as her parents took a brief nap. Applejack was still running around screaming, but her parents could take a break, if only for a moment.

“Thanks you, Mr.—Thanks, Filthy. You’ve… Granny was right to… to make you a business partner all those years ago. I’m… glad ma and pa got to meet you. I’m… glad you were… we were… you’ve been so good to us all these years.”

Filthy nodded solemnly. “Thank you, Applejack. Kinder words than I deserve.”

The silence was only broken by further squeaks from above.

“Now, what brings you all here? I would presume it was a… family visit, if your grandmother and siblings were here. But as it stands…”

“Well, Applejack was planning on writing a eulogy.” Rarity replied. “She… wanted to know what the important people in their lives thought of them. And what they were doing when… it happened.”

“Ah, yes.” Filthy looked out the small window behind Applejack. “They were good, dependable ponies. I couldn’t have asked for better business partners. Let alone better friends. They were pillars of this community, and we shall be all the lesser for their loss. I…” Filthy picked up his tea, and stared at a small wooden mantlepiece. Her father’s cutie mark was engraved into its face. “I wish I had had more time to prepare this.” He chuckled lightly to himself. “And I think they were much better parents than I or my wife. Yes, I… I think they were proud of all three of you.”

Applejack nodded languidly.

“As for… the other night… I’m not sure exactly when it happened, but I believe I was having dinner with my family. Diamond Tiara gave us a lovely anecdote from this last weekend regarding her and Silver Spoon playing with their dolls. I believe they decided the dragon was in danger this time.”

“Well, Mr. Rich. I believe this has been… rather beneficial for us. Wouldn’t you agree, Applejack?”

“Yeah, I, uh, we should probably get going. Lots of… other ponies to talk to today.”

“Yes,” Filthy said standing up. “Well, it was good seeing you anyway.” Filthy motioned for Applejack to come near.

Applejack acquiesced and they embraced. For a moment, Applejack felt like she was in her home as her parents talked business with Filthy.

Author's Note:

What is Filthy hiding? Will he be a good father figure to the remaining Apples? Will Rarity ever misjudge tea? Find out in the next exciting update!

For any guesses, be sure to put on spoiler tags for anyone who finds this after you!

If you find any perceived errors, please send me a message! Other kinds of criticism are appreciated in the comments :pinkiehappy: