• Published 29th Sep 2023
  • 537 Views, 169 Comments

Applejack at the Edge of the World - MagicS



Applejack is called upon to solve a problem at the very edge of the world.

  • ...
1
 169
 537

PreviousChapters Next
Picking Up

The going may have been a little slow for Applejack’s taste but it was also something she really liked compared to her trip out to Elysium’s View in the first place.

Uneventful.

Though it would’ve had to have been some kind of dark miracle in the first place if things somehow managed to be more eventful. Applejack and Daylight Gleam were lucky, finally, to have an easy trip through the Far West back to the Citadel of Al-Karamaretel. And once they were through there the rest of the trip should be even easier. They’d be able to relax and enjoy the last leg of the return journey to Ponyville.

But they still had to travel for quite a long time before that. Elmsville, to Oak City, back through the Kingdom of Diamonds. It took weeks. Applejack’s “business” was over and done but her trip itself not even close. Just the unavoidable downside of having the Cutie Map call her out to someplace so far away.

The good thing was she got to see a lot of ponies she had made friends or at the very least acquaintanceship with again. Excluding those of Elmsville. But even Oak City, for the brief time she had spent there, was nice to walk through again and see how bustling and alive it was. She was happy to know that everywhere east of Equinestan would be doing a lot better than the first time she had traveled through it. And that was proven very quickly when the pair of ponies arrived at the Kingdom of Diamonds. They didn’t even have to get to a town or anything—there were other ponies traveling in and out of the old kingdom. That more than anything told Applejack and Daylight that things were better. Not just individual travelers, but merchants with wagons full of goods, and families going on long trips.

Things really were alright now. All over, Applejack hoped.

And then when they got to New Jasmine Leaf Town they saw that it was practically booming compared to just weeks ago. Construction was done on the main portion of town but new houses were being built on the outskirts as it became a hub for traffic through most of this part of the old kingdom. Applejack and Daylight Gleam spent the night there this time and Applejack learned that they had reestablished regular contact with a few other small towns that were picking themselves back up. Ponies were coming back into the kingdom to settle down, seeing it as a much quieter place that was nice for older families and couples.

Despite the desolation in parts of it and how the major cities were wrecked there were still more than enough places to live and get the economy started up again. Farms were being replanted, cities salvaged, and life was returning to a modicum of normal. It would likely never be the same but that didn’t mean it couldn’t be good. The population had dwindled to almost nothing compared to its height, but ponies were a persistent lot.

Applejack was happy to see Pretty Petunia and Winter Moon again, even if it was only a brief stop.

And after getting through the eastern half of the old kingdom, which was still not doing as well as the rest, Applejack and Daylight Gleam walked across a bridge and were happily done with a large portion of their trip. The moment Applejack’s hooves left the bridge she looked back—gazing across at what was once the Kingdom of Diamonds. It would very likely be the last time she looked upon it. At least for a very long time. She gave a wave, wishing the best to all the ponies living in it and beyond.

Next up the two of them got to say hi to Marzipan again together. And this time they had plenty of their own food and stuff with them that they didn’t have to be a burden on her. That made her considerably less grumpy. Although at the sight of Applejack’s broken leg she told the two of them not to expect any special treatment from her just because of it.

Either way they left Reedsville the following morning and made their way into Red Agony Swamp.

And for once, Applejack thanked the Warden. It turned out everything he said about the disease was true and although it was still a pain traveling through the swampy waters neither of them got sick. So in less than a day their waterlogged bodies were out of the swamp and walking towards the long bridge over the great chasm. They had only slipped in the mud a couple of times each.

The book was kept safe and secure.

Neither of them were looking forward to walking down the bridge but they were happy to see that the trip was going to be a lot different than the first time. Both of them had taken solo walks across the expansive bridge. With nothing but their own inner monologues for company. Now together, going the opposite direction, they saw that much like with the border of Equinestan and the Kingdom of Diamonds that plenty of other ponies were traveling up and down it. They hadn’t seen any others so far since none of them wanted to head straight into Red Agony Swamp, but the entrance to this side of the bridge was now covered in newly built buildings. It had become almost a boom town, a stop for ponies making their way to and from both sides of the west.

Applejack wondered if maybe one day there’d be a place just as big as the Citadel here on this side.

But hopefully friendlier looking.

They didn’t stop at the recent boom town though—with the halfway marker in sight they just wanted to continue on as long as possible. So Applejack and Daylight Gleam quickly started their way down the bridge with several others. Three days they spent going down it with nary a care in the world, chatting with some of the other ponies they met and just waiting for that moment the Citadel appeared.

When it finally did, it brought a strange feeling to Applejack’s chest. The Citadel was such an imposing building, it was hanging over her head like a monster for the first half of her trip out here, and it gave such a horrible feeling of foreboding when she first saw it. But now it was just an ordinary building. That nightmarish aura was gone. More than any other place on her trip, Applejack knew that this was going to give her the greatest feeling of having changed things for the better. Having changed the whole dang world for the better. Even in a way the actual mission she had been sent out here for didn’t.

Together, with an easygoing grin on Daylight’s face and a proud smile on Applejack’s, they stepped off the bridge and into the Citadel of Al-Karamaretel.


“It’s really good to see you again, you know?”

“Unsurprisingly—that might be the first time anypony has said that to me.”

Applejack and Amethyst walked together down one of the great halls of the Citadel as other ponies traveled through it, coming to or from the long bridge and getting started on the next part of their own personal adventures. Amethyst’s friend, Diamond, had been watching over the bridge entrance to the Citadel and when she saw Applejack it took her only a moment to alert Amethyst and her other friends. They were all quite happy to greet the mare that had changed their lives so much for the better. Applejack was also happy to see how they were doing and how well they were taking care of the Citadel and the ponies who wanted to use it.

“Everything looks a lot better here,” Applejack said as she looked around.

“Of course, ponies are actually smiling,” Amethyst chuckled. “How’d you break your leg that badly by the way?”

“Eugh… just got into another big problem out west. But it’s all taken care of now.”

“Just Element of Harmony things?”

“You know it...”

Behind them by a fair bit, Daylight Gleam was in a staring contest with Diamond, Emerald, Topaz, and Opal.

“Since we got here kind of early we’re not going to be stopping for the night or nothing but I wanted to say hi to you. And I have another couple of promises I need to keep,” Applejack said.

“I remember,” Amethyst nodded. “Something about that mare, Solar Streak?”

“Mhm, bringing her back with me to Ponyville,” Applejack confirmed.

“You know I’ve never been to Ponyville but I always heard it was a really nice town,” Amethyst smiled. “Maybe one day when things are more settled here I’ll take a vacation… if I can really ever show my face in Equestria again.”

“I’ll put in a good word for ya,” Applejack winked.

“Not sure I deserve it but thank you,” Amethyst said.

“Heh,” Applejack rubbed the back of her head. “Well, if you could tell me where Solar Streak is living right now I’d like to go meet her. But it wasn’t just her, I was also going to take Birdseed with me.”

“Oh—about that,” Amethyst started. “Birdseed isn’t here anymore. He left.”

“He left?” Applejack raised an eyebrow at the mare.

“He told me to tell you when you got back here that he wasn’t ready to come with you. Said he still felt too bad or ashamed of himself, something about not deserving what you wanted to give him yet. He promised he wouldn’t go back to his old ways but he still wasn’t ready to take up your offer,” Amethyst shrugged. “Sorry. I believe him at least when he says he won’t be a criminal anymore. After all, I’m the same way.”

Applejack sighed, a little disappointed but she could understand him. It was a big change, not everypony would be ready or feel right to just take up the offer she made to him. “Alright… well hopefully I’ll see him again one day under better circumstances. By the way, what about Vahar? Is she still here?”

Amethyst winced and chuckled awkwardly. “Ehehe… actually shortly after you left she accidentally set fire to one of the buildings here and decided it was probably best to leave the Citadel for a while...”

“Ughhhhh…. Vahar...” Applejack groaned and shook her head.

“I’m sure she’s doing alright but I don’t know where she is now,” Amethyst shrugged.

“I’m sure she’s fine too...” Applejack sighed. “Well, if that’s the case then, can you show me where Solar Streak’s home is?”

“Of course. Enjoy the rest of your trip home,” Amethyst said.

“I think it’ll be a lot nicer than the trip here.”


“Applejack!” Solar Streak shouted and hugged the orange mare. “You’re really back!”

“You didn’t think I’d keep my word?” Applejack happily hugged the yellow mare back. The best she could with one broken leg.

“O-Of course not! I was just worried and-”

“I’m only teasing,” Applejack playfully rubbed her head. “You been doing alright since I was gone?”

Solar Streak nodded. “It’s been a lot better around here. A lot easier.” She gestured behind her at the house she was staying in. “As you can see I’ve been living well too.” Her eyes then zeroed in on the cast Applejack was wearing. “What happened to your leg?”

“Nothing serious, just broke it while out west of here, don’t worry about it,” Applejack did her best to assuage the worries of Solar Streak.

“Well if you say so… traveling back here hasn’t been too much trouble?” Solar Streak asked.

“I’ve done alright, and now that I’m back here I wanted to say I’m really happy for you,” Applejack smiled.

Solar Streak smiled back. “So if you’re here now…”

“Done with everything. I’m heading back home to Ponyville. And if you still want to come with me I’ll gladly take you,” Applejack said.

“Yes!” Solar Streak shouted loudly. “Of course I want to come! These last few weeks—they’re the first time I’ve really been happy in years—but this still isn’t a home. It never could be my home. I-I want to see Ponyville. I want to meet your friends, and maybe find my own life. Finally.” She was nearly in tears, reaching up her hooves to wipe at her eyes. “T-Thank you so much. Thank you for not forgetting me.”

“I never would. Are you ready to leave now?” Applejack asked.

“Well it’s a big house but I hardly own anything myself. Certainly don’t have any precious keepsakes,” Solar Streak laughed bitterly. “But if we’re traveling together I guess I should get a bag so I can carry my own food.”

“That’d be good,” Applejack nodded.

“It’ll just take a second then,” Solar Streak grinned—she then looked behind Applejack and for the first time noticed the other mare standing on the sidewalk. “Um… who’s she?”

Applejack stepped to the side a bit so they could see each other better. “Oh—this is my friend, Daylight Gleam. She’s coming with us too.”

“Nice to meet you,” Daylight smiled and waved to her.

“Nice to meet you too,” Solar Streak nodded. “Well I guess we’re going to have plenty of time to get to know each other then.”

“Sure will… it’s still going to be a few weeks before we get back to Ponyville,” Applejack said.

“I’m used to taking long trips,” Solar Streak shrugged.

“Same here. Guess that’s one thing we’ve got in common if you want a conversation starter?” Daylight winked to the younger mare.

Applejack meanwhile took a deep breath and looked up at the sky. Clouds drifted by but they couldn’t fully block the bright and warm sun behind them. She smiled. In a moment she’d be saying goodbye to the Citadel, again for what was certain to be a very long time at the least. And she didn’t need to see any other ponies to know how much nicer things were here. It felt like the whole world was going back to normal.


Three mares now traveled together through the west on their way to Ponyville.

Applejack was happy to see that the shanty town that existed outside of the Citadel of Al-Karamaretel was no longer a den of poverty and despair. Most of it was cleaned up or had been completely dismantled and refurbished. It wouldn’t be as big anymore but it was turning into a spot much like the one on the other side of the bridge where ponies could stay at and get supplies from if the Citadel was too busy or full.

After that it was a long and uneventful trip back to Station Ponywares, filled with nothing more than the three mares talking to and learning all they could about each other. When they made it to the supply station, Applejack looked for the tent of the pony who had given her the roses she still wore in her hat—but it was gone without a trace. When she asked the others about it they told her they had no idea who she was talking about.

Applejack just chalked it up as another weird thing in her life.

They got to Roc’s Nest shortly after that, and spent the night there without trouble thanks to Applejack still being very well-regarded for what she had done for them. Herbal Remedy was great to see again. Alpine Climb wasn’t. But more than any of that—what was good to hear was how travel had picked up again. How things were going back to normal for them too and how the Rocs never attacked or harassed them since the time Applejack was here. The ponies of Roc’s Nest didn’t want Applejack and her friends to leave so soon (besides one) but Applejack was adamant that they had to get on their way as quickly as possible.

Once more she left the small village of Roc’s Nest with some warm and freshly baked rolls in her bag.

But Fire Vent was actually even nicer to see when they finally got there. It was like a completely new town and Applejack was welcomed even better than at Roc’s Nest. Crater, Tephra, and Maggie were ecstatic to see her—amazed that she was back after so long and grateful for what they knew she had done. The streets of Fire Vent were colorful and crowded with tourists and had been for weeks at this point. The bad blood that had been boiling over between the two groups had been healed. Fire Vent was close to returning to the vaunted tourist destination that it had been before the trouble with the Citadel began. As Applejack learned from them, most of the rest of the west was fully healing in the same way. From here, to the other towns on the river a short ways away, to the City of Opportunity and all the way to Diminuendo, things were all just getting better and returning to normal.

She had to think that Discord was right—it was just as much about the journey as it was the destination.

Fire Vent was also the last place they were stopping that had been in a bad spot when Applejack first came out here. Applejack, more than any other place, felt the urge to stay a little longer just because of that. Instead—they again merely spent the night before leaving early in the morning. Applejack making it known to Daylight Gleam and Solar Streak that they could truly relax for the rest of the trip to Ponyville now.

By now her leg was feeling a lot better too, Applejack had promised to not remove the cast until she got back to Ponyville but that didn’t stop her from trying to convince Daylight and Solar that she was totally okay.

The river barge they rode on for the next few days was a good opportunity to rest her leg some more too. All of them got to relax and enjoy the luxury of it. It was in fact the most relaxed and carefree Applejack got to be since the last time she was on the river barge. Even with them only being in normal rooms and not the big suite she had last time.

Once they were off the barge, Applejack could practically smell Equestria. They were that close. It took almost no time to get through Saddleport and make the short trip back to Hacksaw. The very first place Applejack visited in the Undiscovered West. Not so undiscovered anymore. This time though she wasn’t just walking through—the three mares arrived at Hacksaw late at night and quickly found a place to stay. Coincidentally the next morning, Applejack practically ran right into Jade Root as she was walking through town. The two exchanged hellos and had a small chat with each other, going back and forth about what they had both been up to before saying goodbye.

And then… there was no other stop but home. It would still be a few days but it already felt over.

The three of them walked through the wilderness, through the jungle, over the mountains, making their way out of the west and across the border of Equestria. Applejack didn’t know where exactly that border was—what was considered the start and stop or when it was they took their first steps into Equestria. But it didn’t really matter as they came down the eastern side of those mountains after a couple days. Now all that remained was making a quick little trip to a familiar train station…


“So when’s the train actually coming?” Solar Streak asked as the three stood on the empty and seemingly abandoned platform.

Is there a train coming?” Daylight questioned.

“Yes, there’s a train coming,” Applejack frowned at Daylight but then switched to an awkward grimace. “Problem is I have absolutely no idea when.”

“So we could be out here all day or longer?” Daylight asked.

“Yes.”

“Well isn’t that fantastic,” Daylight rolled her eyes.

“Hey—at least we’re in Equestria already. We could just walk some more if you want?” Applejack glared at her.

“No, no, I’m fine. We might as well wait,” Daylight waved a hoof dismissively.

“I think taking the train will let us appreciate the landscape as it goes by for once,” Solar Streak said. “It’ll be nice to be rested for when we finally get to Ponyville too.”

Applejack patted her on the back. “You’re going to love it. The both of you.”

“Might as well take a seat while we wait...” Daylight said and sat down on the uneven boards of wood.

“I wonder when the last time was that there was anypony in that ticket booth,” Solar Streak said as she looked at the dusty old box.

“Guess is as good as mine,” Applejack shrugged and also sat down. “Let’s just relax—relax and dream about the delicious apples we’re all going to be eating soon.”

“I can certainly do that,” Solar Streak smiled and sat down with them.

Three mares, waiting for the train to Ponyville.

PreviousChapters Next