• Published 26th Mar 2024
  • 254 Views, 7 Comments

The Markless Wonderer: Origin - OllerusTheFailure



The tale of a usual colt with an exceptional thought. One that doesn't belong in the mind of a young pony. But that's the dilemma. He's a pony of Equestria, wistful of what lies beyond. A blank flank who resides in a small nameless town by Luna Bay.

  • ...
0
 7
 254

Prologue –Empty Reflection–

Snow falling, albeit gently, could have been more bothersome. Even though it is usual, we never experienced heavy snowfall like YakYakistan up north. Due to nighttime, sunlight was absent, courtesy of Princess Twilight Sparkle, who faithfully completed her daily duties.

With countless shining stars and a nebula stretching across, the actual night sky is a grand opportunity not to be missed. I say ‘opportunity,’ but never mean it as a rare occurrence. Nopony usually sees it because of what the nighttime signifies. You are awake and outside during the day. You are asleep and inside, preparing for the next during the night. That is the natural order of things. Everypony is aware of it. At least, everypony here in Luna Bay.

Before attempting this short-lived escapade outside, I rechecked whether my parents were asleep because tomorrow morning was a school day, as parental figures ensure bedtimes are strictly followed.

So, in a light dusting of snow, gazing at the starry sky overhead reflecting upon the bay surface while the houses in the distance radiated a warm glow from within, “Errrrrghhhh!” I stretched my legs, the sheer bliss compelling me to elicit an involuntary sound of pleasure. Because quietly stretching proves not to be as satisfying.

Other than that, the stillness of the air was almost eerie, with no sound or movement to break the silence. Except for the brisk air with snowflakes falling like spiritless whispers—the dark world evoked a sense of detachment and frostiness within me. Even with the barren beauty of the atmosphere, I was not disheartened. No, this brought an overwhelming sense of contentment, apart from the snow permeating my mane and dampening it—a price worth paying. In hindsight, that was a lie. The dampness, too, gave me a faint sense of jubilant childlike wonder. And how… remarkable it was.

So, I stood up and strode forward, coming here to visit the bay. “Sss… Haah…” After a reverse hiss, a visible breath emitted into the crisp ultramarine night.

In a small village near Luna Bay, there was a town with a winter night sky—a town inheriting no name. And deep down, though trying to ignore it, it was a life that felt...

🌠

Splash!

Wrong.

In an instant, countless ripples formed, each acting as a punch to the soul, and quickly dissipated. And upon witnessing the scene, something within my chest plummeted. “…” Disbelief narrowed my eyes, and I staggered backward toward the shore.

Swsshh! Swsshh! Swsshh!

Even though the bay surface mirrored the stars high above, I could not see the small figure gazing into it.


It’s a tale of a usual colt with an exceptional thought. One that doesn’t belong in the mind of a young pony. But that’s the dilemma. He’s a pony of Equestria, wistful of what lies beyond.

“Ugh, It’s not like I have anything better to do… Go ahead and tell me this harebrained story of yours.”

Okay… Sit back and relax. This will take a while.

“That’s not funny.”