• ...
1
 23
 491

Chapter 2 - How they met

It was a quiet day today in Ponyville. Well as quiet as it can get because usually back in the day there would be a friendship problem to solve or a monster to fight, and sometimes a big bad to deal with. And though friendship problems still pop up from time to time, they're not as big of a deal as they used to be. Every creature, from pony to dragon, to changeling and griffin and yak all seem to get along better these days thanks to the work of the new ruler of Equestria, Princess Twilight and her friends.

Good thing that Ponyville has become more diverse than it was before, no one seemed to mind. Although the town isn't without its hardships. And it isn't a problem that can be solved by singing, nor can it be solved by friendship. The problem is a lot deeper than it looks on the surface level.

It all started with Diamond Tiara and Applebloom. The teenage Applebloom was doing her chores on the Apple farm. She was fixing the fence since the old ones were starting to show signs of rot, it's a pain to deal with because most of the wooden panels somehow got rot. Applejack says she blames the rain, it has been raining more often in the last few weeks. It can't be helped. These things were bound to happen eventually.

Things were going well however, Applebloom ran out of nails so she went into town to buy some more from the store. When she got to the town center of Ponyville, that's when she spotted Diamond Tiara hiding in an alleyway. She looked like she was in distress like she was being chased. And she was carrying a bag around her bag.

Applebloom also spotted a guard nearby who seemed to be searching for somepony. Applebloom assumed that somepony was Diamond, it was obvious how can it not be? Diamond has been a bully since she was a young filly, even though she has stopped being nasty and mean to others. But to Applebloom it just makes sense that a pony like her would resort to stealing. Why else would Diamond be carrying that bag?

It could've been coincidental, Applebloom could've walked away and pretended she didn't see anything. But she couldn't. So as Diamond tried sneaking past that guard Applebloom trotted towards her general direction quickly before she could get away. "Hey!" She caught her former bullies' attention. Unfortunately Diamond turned her head around too quickly and they both accidentally bumped heads.

"Ow!" Both of the young ponies screamed.

This caught the attention of the guard, he spotted both Applebloom and Diamond Tiara on the ground caressing their foreheads after that accidental head bump. He then went up to Diamond Tiara and picked her up. "There you are young miss, I've been looking for you everywhere. Your mom has been worried sick about you since you left this morning." He told Diamond, but she did not say a word to him. The guard turned to Applebloom and said. "Thanks for your help miss, you certainly made my job a whole lot easier, hehe." He chuckled

"No problem officer," Applebloom replied

However, Diamond looked pissed at Applebloom. "You idiot." Diamond Tiara muttered.

"What 'cha Say?" Applebloom asked Diamond to repeat herself

"You are an idiot!" Diamond Tiara shouted. "I almost got away, but you just had to ruin everything!"

"...What?" Applebloom was confused. That was until she looked at the contents of the bag all on the ground. Money, a toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, water and snacks. These are essential items for living outdoors. Or in Diamond's case, they're essential for running away from home. "Diamond, what's going on? Are you-"

"Zip it!" Diamond interrupted. "You ruined my plans...now you owe me. Farmgirl."

"Owe you? Diamond, I thought you were stealing." Applebloom tried to explain the misunderstanding.

"What makes you think I would stoop so low?!"

"W-Well, it's just that. Back when we were kids you'd...you used to do things like that, lying and stealing."

"...Hmph. I'm sixteen, I'm no longer that childish. I suggest you stay out of this if you know what's good for you." Diamond Tiara says it like it is a warning, yet her harsh demeanor hasn't changed. Before she was taken away she told the young farm pony. "You don't know how lucky you have it."

And with that, Diamond Tiara was taken away back to her home. It was strange looking back at it. The former bully looked desperate to leave Ponyville, the question is why? Applebloom started to ponder. Why would she leave the town where she grew up? What is going on in her life that would make her want to leave?

These questions run through Applebloom's head like wildfire. She was concerned, she hadn't talked to Diamond a lot after the incident where she stood up to her mother all those years ago. But it was clear as daylight that she was in a bad situation. But out of all those thoughts in her head, one stood above the rest. 'She looks prettier than I remembered.'


Later at night after dinner, Applebloom was helping her sister Applejack wash up the plates. As they do this little chore the eldest sister starts the conversation. "Y'know Big Mac's birthday is coming up soon." She began

"Mmhmm." Applebloom hummed. She wasn't listening to a single word.

"I know he likes to keep his birthdays nice and simple, you know what he's like with birthdays."

"Uh-huh."

"And I couldn't help but wonder, wouldn't it be nice to throw a surprise party, after all, he's gonna be thirty soon. So I thought it be fun for the whole family to throw him a surprise. Plus Sugar Belle has been working with Pinkie Pie on the birthday cake, so maybe you and I can search for a gift for him. " She turned her head to her little sister, whose mind was wandering somewhere else.

"Sure," Applebloom says lazily

"...You listening to me?" Applejack asked with

"ee'yep." She wasn't.

Applejack sighed, time to be a big sister. "Okay, what happened?" She asked.

This catches Applebloom's attention. "Huh? Sorry."

"It's fine sugar cube." Applejack smiled. "You looked like you had a bad day, you don't have to tell me now. But you just keep in mind you're not in trouble."

"Okay, I get it." Applebloom stops doing the dishes and sighs. "Remember Diamond Tiara?"

Applejack nodded. "The spoiled rich brat who used to pick on you yes. Why is she bothering you again?"

"No no, it's not that, she hasn't done that in years." Applebloom appreciated the concern. "I think I..." She hesitates. "I think I did something bad to her. She looked like she was running away from home, but I just so happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Why would she want to run away? She's rich."

"You haven't heard?" The older sibling questioned. "It's been the talk of the whole town for months now. She's getting married."

"Oh, but that doesn't explain it."

"I never said she agreed to it," Applejack said. This shocking revelation brought a sense of guilt to Applebloom's heart, guilt that she ruined Diamond's life, guilt that she caused her misery and may have trapped her in an unhappy marriage for the rest of her life.

"She's getting married to a stallion who didn't ask permission?!" The young mare's heart filled with dread. "Who? Who is she getting married to?!" Applebloom wanted to know the stallion that Diamond Tiara would be forced to marry.

"Uh, I dunno. Some rich kid, son of a couple of nobles in Canterlot, that's what I heard."

"I-I-I have to go." Applebloom was about to leave the house but Applejack got in the way of her leaving.

"Oh no you don't, don't go poking your nose into other ponies' business," Applejack told her sibling calmly.

"I don't give a darn!"

"Now hold on now, let's just calm down."

"I can't just stand idly by, knowing I might've ruined her life!"

"You don't know that."

"I do know that! No one is ever happy with arranged marriages! They live their lives in misery!"

"Why do you care? She was your bully, what changed?"

"She changed! Applejack, she's changed...I-I don't know how best to explain it, her attitude towards me has changed. She isn't as condescending as she once was. I saw sadness in her eyes, she looked desperate. I've never seen a pony like her so desperate."

The young Apple seemed quite determined to help Diamond Tiara, however she only swayed Applejack to her side by only a little. Applejack wants to protect her little sister because she knows what she's been through with all the bullying and discrimination from that rich spoiled filly. Applejack sighed and said. "I'm sorry, but I just don't trust her."

"Then trust me," Applebloom said in return, pleading for her sister to trust her intuition. Then suddenly rumbling can be felt around the whole house. Family portraits rattled, clean plates shattered as they fell, utensils sprang out the draws shaking all over the place, and some windows cracked and shattered.

But it was pale in comparison to that earth-shattering noise. that awful, awful noise possibly got the attention of the whole town. Both sisters went outside to see what was going on and that's where they caught a glimpse of it. From their point of view, two meteorites crash land. One landed in the Everfree forest while the other carried on soaring through the sky. There was no explosion from the one that crashed nearby. Because after that it was eerily quiet.

"What in tarnation was that awful noise?" Granny Smith asked, looking out of her bedroom window after rudely woken up from her nap.

"Don't worry about it Granny, just um...go back to bed, I'll go check it out." Says Applebloom.

"Hmmmm." The senile old pony mumbled. "I shouldn't be sleep-deprived at my age. Lousy good-for-nothing noise waking me up in the middle of a wonderful dream which I'll never experience again...." She continued to mumble as she made her way back to bed.

"I'll deal with her, you check out that...thing," Applejack told Applebloom. The little sister nodded. She grabbed a lantern and made her way to the Everfree forest without saying another word.


Applebloom has never really been afraid of the Everfree, she knows her way around, she knows how to avoid the dangerous creatures in the forest, and visits Zecora every once in a while. But the Everfree at night is a whole different subject. The whole forest is more dangerous at night because you cannot see what's lurking in the shadows.

She would rather not be alone in the Everfree forest at night, however, it was her fault admittedly. If she didn't want to go then she shouldn't have volunteered, but it was a decision she won't regret later on. The only thing she did regret was not bringing her sister along.

The young mare has no idea how far she's been trotting along the forest, the lantern that she brought with her had seen better days. Her lantern started to flicker. "Darn crappy lantern," Applebloom muttered under her breath. She tried adjusting it, however, she wasn't concentrating on the path so she tripped and the lantern shattered.

Yet as the lantern went out, Applebloom saw a red fiery glow deeper in the forest. This was what she was investigating so she got up and went in for a closer look, and as she did she could smell burning. She moved slowly and cautiously since she was not sure what it was that landed in the Everfree forest but whatever it was, it was making the most revolting noises.

She got closer and closer, the noises filled her with a sense of disgust. She hid behind some bushes and she took a peek. She couldn't believe her own eyes. It's a machine, a metallic eighteen-metre-tall glistening white machine kneeling on the ground surrounded by fire and brimstone. It has bipedal features such as two legs and arms. Its head had horns in the shape of a large V on the center of the forehead, and the eyes, those angry-looking eyes. Applebloom was sure it was staring directly at her. The machine looked cursed.

She wanted to run, run, and tell her family and everyone in town. Her heart was telling her to get out before it was too late before you became a victim of this predatory-looking machine. But before she could start galloping away she heard that revolting noise again, only this time it sounded clearer. It sounded like coughing, coughing, and heaving from a much smaller bipedal creature that crawled out of the chest of the machine. It was wearing a helmet and a white space suit with gold markings, Applebloom can hardly see its facial features.

The machine automatically opened the palm of its left hand and raised it to its chest. Then the pilot crawled on the hand and the machine lowered it to the ground. Applebloom could just turn away and pretend she never saw or heard anything. But what kind of pony would she be if she left someone in need? She moved closer but carefully to avoid the small pockets of flame. "Hey." She called to the biped. It looked up at her and Applebloom continued talking. "I- don't know if you can understand what I'm saying, but if you can just come down from there and let me take a good look at you."

The creature continued to cough heavily, wheezing and struggling to stand. Its shaky hands grabbed its helmet and took it off. Their face had red glowing marks on her amber cheeks that looked painful, her eyes blue like the sea and her fiery red mane was wild but contained by a black headband. She's gasping for air, she is suffering from so much pain.

"Um...I uh...I'll go get some help, just stay here." Applebloom responded after getting a good look at the creature.

"Stay." The creature managed to say after all that coughing. "P-Please stay...if I'm gonna to die...I don't want to die alone."

Applebloom was surprised that the creature could speak her language, but she was even more surprised that the creature would say that. "What?"

"P-Please...I'm scared...I-I don't want to go...there's so much I want to do." She told Applebloom before she started coughing again.

"I-I can't stress this enough, you need help." Applebloom expressed her concern for the creature

"I don't want to be a burden...And I don't want to be experimented on."

"What kind of talk is that coming from a um... whatever you are? Why are you so calm about this?"

"I...I don't know...Maybe I just need some rest. I'm tired and I'm scared. And as you can see I'm in no condition to be on my own. I'm not sure if I'm dreaming or not hehe." She laughed but it caused her to cough even more. After that coughing fit she tried standing but struggled to do so. But once she did it was clear that the creature was taller than Applebloom. She reached out her shaky hand to Applebloom and said with a friendly smile. "Suletta Mercury, mobile suit pilot."

"Uh." Applebloom placed her hoof on Suletta's hand. "Applebloom. And I promise I'll take care of you until you're well again."

Author's Note:

This is how Applebloom and Suletta first met. It was never gonna be under the best circumstance but I felt like Suletta needed someone to take care of her because piloting a gundam can take a toll on a persons body. So I thought Applebloom was the best option.

I wanted Diamond Tiara to have some similarities with Miorine, and that's on purpose for both plot reasons and because I thought it be fun later on down the road.

If you have any thoughts please let me know.