• Published 17th Oct 2012
  • 1,225 Views, 24 Comments

Luna Nos Custodit - Tsuguri



She knows what is coming, only She is willing to pay the price. Above all else, Luna Watches Over Us

  • ...
8
 24
 1,225

A Misplaced Rarity

It was just after midday as Luna strode through the Royal Palace. Given the close call they had averted the day prior, she could not allow herself the luxury of sleeping today. There were appearances that had to be made, confidences that had to be maintained, and all manner of other royal obligations that needed doing. Having already accomplished all these tasks, Luna hoped to have a quick rest before her afternoon appointment. Overall, things had gone better than she had hoped, especially since she had been lucky enough to avoid...

"Aunt Luna, a moment of your time if you please?" A stallion, leaning on the corridor's mirrored walls, hailed her.

'Discord! Why does he have to be standing right there! Well, I guess we have been lucky enough to put him off this long.'

'Indeed child, he is becoming most bothersome. I still say you should let us teach him respect.'

'I thought I told you to not disturb me in public.'

She returned her attention outwards as she approached her caller, "Yes Blueblood, what can I do for you this day?" she greeted him with a small, false smile.

Returning with his own false smile, appearances must be maintained after all, her nephew looked up as she drew near. "I was just curious as to your reaction to some of the reports I have been hearing lately. Several master craftponies have disappeared, there is a sudden shortage of steel and iron in the markets, and several of your Night Guards have been seen in some rather remote locations. Have you any idea if these rather curious events are related?" There was just hint of accusation in his voice - almost unrecognizable, but it was there.

Keeping a short reign on her emotions, and making sure she did not look into the mirror behind him, she replied, "I am afraid I have no idea what these various happenings could mean. I have never really understood what drives some ponies to do what they do. As for my Night Guards, they are not always on duty and are at leave to roam wherever they wish during their free time. I am not some dictator who strictly controls her subject's movements."

A small smear of contempt seemed to edge its way into Blueblood's smile. "Oh really? Some on the council seem to believe otherwise."

A quick flash of rage crossed the Princess's face as she shoved her nose directly in front of his. "Now listen here you little insect, we know the only reason the council still distrusts us is due to the efforts of you and your intrusion. We suggest you back off lest you find yourself in harm's violent way." Pulling her head back and giving herself a little shake, Luna abruptly turned around and strode away. "Now I have preparations to make for this evening. Good day nephew."

As he watched his aunt walk away, Blueblood couldn't help the small shudder of joy that passed through him. 'By auntie that really worked! If I can just get her to do that somewhere public, she is as good as mine. And her eyes! Was I just imagining that? Oh this will be fun.' With thoughts of his assured victory, Prince Blueblood confidently strode in the direction of his chambers; he had some very interesting news to break.

*********

Luna nearly slammed the doors to her chamber as she stormed on through. Disregarding all else, she made her way towards a form draped in cloth. She magically jerked the covering away to reveal her full-length mirror. "What in the name of Equestria was that about? Are you trying to get us imprisoned again?"

"Hardly," Nightmare Moon answered her from within the confines of the reflection. "No one would believe him if he tried to make a claim against us right now. Not without some additional proof."

"We were lucky that no one else was in the passage at the time. But remember, Blueblood already has much circumstantial evidence against me. All he would need is one impartial witness to give credence to his claims and all would be lost."

A smile graced the reflection at Luna's words. "Fear not child. For, even if you do not yet admit it, know that you and I are the same, and to betray you would be to betray myself. So, until I am free once more, our secret shall remain."

This time it was Luna's face which was graced with a smile. "Good. But remember, you are never getting out again, so I am going to be holding you to your promise for all of eternity. Now please leave so I can prepare for my meeting this afternoon."

"You still plan on going?" The reflection asked with a note of chagrin, "Why, even your loyal pegasi warned you about the danger she can represent, so why risk it?"

"Because I need her," Luna replied with just a hint of anger in her voice, "You know I do. And I also wish to check up on the little ones; there should have been some progress by now. So just leave me."

"As you command child. However I will still be watching you." Nightmare Moon said as she faded with a chuckle.

"I thought I told you to stop calling me a child!" Luna lunged at the mirror before the reflection had fully cleared. Fuming at herself, she was just about to turn away when she was startled by what she was seeing. "Nightmare Moon? Are you truly gone?" She started to tremble when her question was only answered by silence. Once again, she faced nothing but her own reflection. 'My eyes! But how is this possible!? I have her under control, so why is this happening?' Although slight, Luna could see the subtle change of her eyes: the pupils had started to elongate into a predator-like slit, and the change appeared to be growing!

Luna closed her eyes, took deep breaths, and thought of her sister to try to calm herself. 'I will not put her through that again! I will not make her choose between her heart and the kingdom a second time. Is that not the point of this whole endeavor, to protect her and save this kingdom?' Feeling a small measure of peace settle over her, Luna opened her eyes and faced herself once more. Her pupils had, thankfully, assumed their natural shape again and appeared to be stable.

Turning away from the mirror, Luna made her way towards her personal balcony and threw open the doors. 'No nap for me now, I guess,' she thought to herself as she took to the skies and glided on the thermals. 'I need to calm myself before my meeting. Remember, this is for Equestria.'

'So why can I not trust my sister?'

**********

Rarity hummed to herself as she straightened up her shop. She had finished all of her orders earlier in the day, and had taken the rare liberty of closing the shop early. Anyone looking in would have assumed the fashionista was being her usually tidy self, preparing to welcome a very important guest. "One must always be presentable," the unicorn said to the open air, "And when royalty is concerned, especially so. Even if it is her!" A very hard edge crept into Rarity's voice on that final word and her face twisted in anger, but she quickly smoothed her features and took a deep breath. "She will have a chance to explain herself and then her price will be extracted, but not before."

Rarity, having finished detailing her displays, was waiting for her tea kettle to come to a boil when she heard a knock on her front door. Glancing through a window at her visitor, Rarity took a deep, calming breath as she magically undid the lock on her door. 'Remember, nothing is amiss yet. Wait until the proper time,' she repeated to herself. Once the door was open she loudly exclaimed, "Princess Luna! Thank you so much for accepting my invitation. Please, do come in."

As the Princess of the Night entered her boutique, Rarity glanced outside and noticed an unusual absence. "Highness? Have your guards already left? I was going to prepare some additional treats for them if they were still around."

Luna pretended to be studying the shop's merchandise to hide the trace of guilt that flashed across her face. "Well, yes. You see, I did not bring them with me this evening. I know they mean well, but their constant presence can become a trifle smothering at times, particularly when it is something as simple as a get together for tea." While internally she added, 'Especially when I need to calm myself beforehoof, and bury my demons down further.'

'Not down far enough apparently my foolish child.'

'SILENCE!'

Unaware of the internal argument in the room, Rarity smiled to herself as one foreseen obstacle had failed to materialize. "Why thank you for that vote of confidence, your Highness. Oh, I do believe I hear the kettle calling. Would you care to join me in the kitchen?" Rarity asked as the kettle started to whistle.

"Yes, I will be along shortly." Luna replied as she continued to browse through the shop.

Rarity had just finished setting the table when the Princess made her way over to it. "I must say I am impressed, Rarity. Very few places in Canterlot can equal the quality I see in here."

Rarity bowed her head low as she accepted the praise, "Well I do pride myself on being on the cutting edge of fashion. Why, I have had patronage from Photo Finish, Hoity Toity, and Sapphire Shores, just to name a few. I like to think eventually all of Equestria might someday have a design or two of mine somewhere in their wardrobe. Now, would you care for anything to go with your tea? Cream or sugar perhaps?" This last bit was asked as Rarity started to pour the tea into their respective cups.

"No thank you," Luna replied as she studied the lightly colored tea. "I do not believe I am familiar with this type of tea."

Detecting a bit of apprehension in the Princess's voice, Rarity answered, "Why it is a purely local delicacy, courtesy of our resident botanist Zecora. You do know Zecora, don't you?"

"Yes, I do know her," Luna replied, thinking of her last visit into the Everfree Forest.

"Well, since she actually lives in the forest, she knows a great deal about the various plants that grow in it. I occasionally visit her for some tea leaves and other such items when I feel the need to pamper an out-of-town guest." Rarity carried on while studying the Princess, who had yet to actually sample the tea. "You can trust me when I say that this tea really is quite soothing," Rarity said as she levitated her own cup and took a dainty little sip from her cup.

Remembering the advice from her followers, Luna now felt it was safe to try the tea herself and took her own dainty sip. "Um, yes this is a very interesting blend. I may have to ask Zecora myself for some of this the next time I see her."

"Of course, your Highness. I am sure she would be delighted to assist you. Now as I was saying, I have already made a sizable impression in Canterlot and hope to make an even larger impact on fashion all across Equestria. I am sure I would have succeeded already with some of the dresses I made for the last Grand Galloping Gala; they would have been the talk of the city if I do say so myself. But then there just had to be that riot and... all those animals running rampant. I dare say that they could talk of nothing else for the rest of the week!" Rarity lamented, thinking back on the wasted opportunity.

"Yes, I did hear it was quite the commotion. I was sorry I missed it, but I was still acquainting myself with the modern customs."

"Well, I am sure you will be just extravagant at the next Gala. OH, idea! Since you are here, I could design a dress for you to wear! It would be something elegant and refined, but still simple and bold... just like the night. What do you say?"

Taking another drink from her cup, Luna thought it over. "I say that it would be a travesty to not, at least, consider it."

'I told you to be careful child! Something is not right here. Some....thing....is....defiantly....not....right....'

'Nightmare? Are you still there?' Luna quietly cocked her head to the side while she listened for a mental reply. Upon hearing nothing, the first honest smile in months graced her lips. "In fact, Rarity, I think it sounds like an excellent idea."

"Oh how marvelous! I have some ideas already! Tell me what you think of this..." And with that, she was off. Rarity maintained a constant stream of chatter, continuously coming up with different ideas and design themes to run by the Princess, with the occasional sidetrack into the latest news or gossip from around Equestria.

'By Discord, this pony sure can talk,' Luna thought to herself some hours and several cups of tea later. 'All this time and she has yet to repeat any subject even once. I know of a few socialites who would be humbled by her.' Rarity was comparing which gemstones might go best with her eyes and starry mane when Luna felt a subtle pull in her magic. While not complete telepathy, she and her sister still had the ability to convey general feelings towards each other when the need arose. Feeling her sister reaching for her now, Luna signaled her alertness towards Celestia.

'Yes sister? What is it?'

In return she received a feeling of confusion and expectation.

Luna replied with her own confusion, which was answered again with a feeling of expectation joined with a feeling of tiredness.

Glancing at a clock Rarity had on the wall, Luna realized the time, and sent out feelings of surprise and lamentation, which Celestia answered with understanding and amusement, coupled with expectation.

"Princess Luna? Is something wrong?" Rarity asked, realizing the faraway look on Luna's face.

"No, nothing is wrong. My sister was just reminding me that I am tardy in carrying out my duties. Is there a place where I might be able to see the eastern sky?"

"Oh! Please forgive me, I have taken up too much of your time. Here, I have just the place," Rarity said as she left the table and started to climb the stairs to her second floor. "Now, I don't normally let just any pony up here, but seeing as how you are royalty, I think I can make an exception. Ah, here we are." Rarity said as she open the door to her personal room.

Glancing around the room, Luna quickly noticed the three small fillies lying in a large bed. Rarity kept a close watch over Luna's face as she crossed the room. "My little sister and her friends. They suddenly collapsed some time ago, and have yet to awaken. You haven't heard about anything like this, have you?"

"No, I am afraid I have not. I will look them over after I finishing raising the moon if you wish," Luna said while trying to keep her face impassive.

"I would appreciate that." Rarity replied, inwardly seething. "Now, I believe this window here would be perfect."

Looking out of the indicated window, Luna had to agree. She had a clear view of the eastern sky, along with a view of the Everfree Forest in the distance. "Yes, this will do just fine," she vocalized while sending feelings of preparedness towards her sister and gathering her magic.

Upon receiving a reply of equal feelings from her sister, Luna reached her magic towards the heavens and began to pull the moon from under the horizon. Some nights it felt like the moon was eager to take its place in the sky, while others it felt tired and cranky, as though asking for just a few more minutes before it had to appear. Luna realized that tonight was going to be one of the latter as she poured forth more and more of her magic to try to draw the moon out. Soon, she realized something peculiar about this night: she was getting tired. No, not just tired, but exhausted! Once she had finished pulling the moon out from under the horizon, she had just enough energy to illuminate the stars before she nearly collapsed from the strain she was under.

As Luna gathered what little strength she had left, she heard a voice behind her, "I am surprised you are still on your hooves, but we can't have that now, can we? Nighty night." Then she felt a sharp blow to the back of her head. As she faded into unconsciousness, she remembered the last words she had heard from Nightmare Moon: 'Something...is...not....right....'

As Rarity looked down at the unconscious form, she magically tossed aside the dowel she had used to strike the princess. While walking to her night stand, she levitated a small vial from one of its drawers, uncorked it while it traveled to her, and drank its contents. Cringing at the bitter taste, Rarity glanced once more at the now-sleeping Princess before she turned towards Sweetie Belle and brushed her sister's mane aside, "Soon, little sister, soon."

***********

"Ugh, Sister? I thought we agreed, no more wild toasts at those parties..." Luna groaned as she struggled towards consciousness. She would have liked to have held her head in her hooves, but when she tried, she found that none of her legs were responding. That helped to jerk her the rest of the way to wakefulness as she studied her surroundings. She found herself suspended upside down several feet in the air, restrained by several reams of cloth wound tightly around her. This cloth cocoon was wound so tightly around the princess that it made breathing difficult, and movement almost impossible. As she started to gather her magic to try to at least loosen the cloth, she realized that she could not form a solid grip on her bindings. Worse, her attempt started a new round of headaches, bringing on a fresh groan.

"Finally awake, I see." A voice drifted out of the darkened room. Trying to find the source of the voice, Luna raised her head and scanned the room in earnest. She could see nothing at first, but then a faint light started to shine. She could now make out the candle sitting on a bedside table, and it illuminated... Rarity. The Unicorn was angled in such a way that, while her attention was fully on the fillies in the bed, she was still able to watch Luna out of the corner of her eye.

Luna, trying to get past the foul taste in her mouth, was just able to croak out, "What,...what did you...do....to me?"

"A simple toxin from the Everfree Forest. I did not lie when I said I got this from Zecora; she did show us the plant, after all. Though it was rather difficult for me to find all by my lonesome. This one actually weakens a pony's specific trait: Earth Ponies become physically weakened, Unicorns are unable to sustain their magic, and Pegasi are unable to maintain their balance for flight. Being an Alicorn, with traits from all three, I imagine the effects have hit you rather hard?"

"The....tea? But I....don't....understand, you drank....the same tea....as I did....correct?"

"Oh yes, that is certainly true. However, as with every kind of toxin there is an antitoxin. I took some of that myself before you arrived, several times when I had to excuse myself from your presence, and just after your collapse. Believe me when I say that I have no lasting effects from it. You, however, still seem to be having a rough time of it."

To this statement, Luna could do nothing but acknowledge the truth. Her magic was conspicuously still absent, her legs had no strength in them, and so much as trying to lift her head filled her with a terrible sense of vertigo. "Why?"

"Why?" Rarity repeated as she rose and started to make her way on over towards Luna. "That's not even funny coming from you! You know why!" Grabbing Luna's face in her hoof, Rarity lifted it up towards her. "I want my sister back you bitch! I know you have something to do with her condition, and you are going to help me fix her!"

"What are....you talking....abou.." SLAP! The rest of the question was silenced as Rarity backhoofed her across the face!

"Do not play dumb with me princess. I know what I saw, and nothing you say is going to make me forget that."

"What did you....see then?" Luna gasped while still trying to clear her vision from the vertigo and the blow.

"It is quite simple, actually," Rarity commented as she made her way back towards the bed side. Extending out her magic slightly, she snuffed the candle and plunged the room into total darkness. Or near-total darkness, Luna corrected herself; as her eyes adjusted, she could see a very faint magical glow emanating from the Unicorn of the trio and then splitting to the other two. "I found this out myself the night before last. I had fallen asleep next to the bed, and, when I awoke, I noticed this magic stream in the darkness. I thought it might have something to do with Sweetie Belle's condition, so I tried to break it and wake my sister up."

"Sounds....dangerous."

"You have no idea. The results were, shall we say, rather volatile. I was forcefully thrown across the room and knocked out for a few moments. However, when I awoke, I realized that I had taken a small piece of a vision with me. It was very fragmented and incomprehensible, but I was able to see a figure in it. Somepony utterly terrifying. Somehow, I knew that she had something to do with their condition, so I went back in again. Yes, yes, you don't have to say it, I know that it was a foolish thing to do. But she is my sister, what else could I do? I went back into the stream several times in fact - each time as volatile as the first... I ruined quite a lot of my furniture that night. But, eventually, I was able to make out the identity of that pony. It was you! Or rather, the you we had hoped to never see again Princess Luna, or should I say Nightmare Moon!" This last bit was thrown out with such anger and contempt that Luna could only bow her head in guilt. "You are not denying this are you?"

"Yes....Nightmare Moon....still....exists,....but only....deep within me. She will never....roam Equestria.... again," Luna declared, struggling with her words.

"Then what in the name of Celestia is she doing inside of my sister's mind!?" Rarity raved as she relit the candle with her magic. "How did she get in there!?"

"If you....give me....a chance....I will....tell you."

"I am compelled, no doubt by my generosity, to allow you to do so. Do not waste it."

"It started....with my last....trip to see....Zecora," Luna began. Over the course of the next hour, she told Rarity everything. The story was pained, as Luna was still reeling from the effects of the toxin. But, as time wore on her ability to speak gradually improved. Throughout the tale Rarity's expression seemed to run the entire range of emotions: from disbelief to doubtful to anger, but mostly anger.

"You mean to tell me you knew what happened to Twilight but did not even tell us? Why?!" Rarity screamed in her face when Luna had gotten to that point.

"Because it wouldn't have helped you, and it could only have hurt us," Luna replied evenly.

"Us?" Rarity exclaimed as she, in a fit of fury, magically grabbed a large pair of scissors and smacked them against Luna's horn. "And just who is 'us' exactly?"

Luna cried out at the pain. She was grateful that most of the vertigo had passed by now, or else she might have passed out and been at the mercy of the Unicorn's rage. From there she proceeded to tell Rarity about how her forces had been amassed and that two of her best friends were preparing to fight this cause.

"Applejack and Rainbow Dash?" In her shock, Rarity had dropped the scissors and made her way back to her bed. She seemed to be taking this news nearly as bad as she had the news about Twilight Sparkle's fate. "But why would they decide to help you, after what you did to these poor fillies here?!"

"Because they know it is the only way to save Equestria... and protect my sister."

"Oh really? Can you prove what you're saying isn't just some yarn spun by a desperate, manipulative pony?"

"Because," Luna replied as she slumped in her restraints, "Nightmare Moon has been awake for the last fifteen minutes, and has been ranting at me to silence you for just as long." As Luna said this, the large pair of scissors sprung from the floor towards Rarity's face; it embedded itself in the wall a scant six inches from Rarity's head. It had happened so fast that she hadn't even had time to react.

Without even glancing at the wall, or the still-vibrating scissors, Rarity sighed, "I guess I will just have to take your word on that one. But now, how do you intend to help my sister? Surely you know that that is the only way I would even consider taking what you say as truth."

"At the time, I had not considered the possibility of my spell being fragmented by your sister's power. She must have tried to throw up a barrier at the last instant before she was overwhelmed. With this knowledge, I should be able to guide the spell to completion and let them awaken from its grasp."

Rarity pondered her options; it was obvious that Luna's abilities had started to return, but it was also clear that she remained severely weakened. They should both still be on approximately equal footing, but Luna had to be stiff from being unable to move for so long. She should have the edge in a fight if Luna attacked her, and, if that display with the scissors was any indication, Luna wouldn't go for a mortal blow. But most importantly, this might be the best chance she had to save her sister.

While Rarity went about magically untying the knot keeping Luna suspended, she kept her gaze locked on Luna's, "Very well, you have one chance to get this done. Once again, I suggest you do not waste it. Also: I wish to be included in your spell. I want to see the complete vision for myself. Besides, I want to make sure you leave nothing... unwanted... in my sister." As the last knot was untied, Luna dropped face-first on the floor, laying there for a few moments as she worked her way through the latest bout of headaches.

Eventually, a magical tug from Rarity pulled Luna upright and dragged her over towards to bed with the fillies. " Come along now - I am not so foolish as to let you gather any more magic than is absolutely necessary, lest you try to strike me with something else. Let us get this done."

"Of course," Luna commented as she was pulled over to the bed.

'Such insolence! You should have let me skewer her while we had the chance! I can still chastise her if you will just let me!' Nightmare Moon screamed from within her own mind.

'No. I told you that you will never be free again as long as I have a say in it. Now be quiet and let me work,' Luna shot back.

'Humph, you are obviously serious about your new found pacifism,' Nightmare Moon relented.

Now sitting alongside the bed, Luna began to gather her magic to probe the minds of the three young fillies once again. Looking across the bed at Rarity, she gave a simple nod and let her magic reach out and incorporate Rarity into the spell. 'Now comes the delicate part,' Luna thought.

'Indeed,' she heard Rarity answer from within the magic, 'this is where things got rather volatile.'

'Quite,' Luna thought, surprised at the strength of her connection with Rarity. Turning her full attention unto the unconscious Fillies before her, she let the spell envelope all three of the fillies this time.

'Remarkable,' Luna thought as she delved deeper into the minds of the three, 'your sister actually managed to successfully shield each of them from different segments of the spell, rendering it incomplete. It is unfortunate the end result left them like this, but it is truly remarkable what she was able to accomplish.'

'Yes, the desire to protect your friends can lend you astonishing power,' Rarity thought, gazing intently at her sister, 'You will be able to help them though, won't you?'

'Yes,' Luna replied, 'there is enough of the spell left over that I shall be able to reconstruct it without even having to recast it. It will take but a moment.' By the time Luna had finished her explanation, she had already realigned the fragments and was preparing to work the trio through the spell once again.

'Ah,' Rarity moaned as she viewed the images rolling past, 'do they really need to see all of this?'

'Yes,' Luna replied, 'this is the memory that convinced your friends that I was speaking the truth. Just remember: once the spell begins, it cannot be stopped.'

'Very well,' Rarity shot back. 'Are you finished yet?'

'Yes,' Luna thought puzzlingly, 'in fact it should have been finished before now. I wonder what the problem is... NO!'

'Oh but YES my child! I shall be free once more!'

'No I shall not allow it!' Luna screamed from within her magic as she felt another consciousness flowing into the magical stream.

'I am afraid you no longer have a say in the matter, my child!' And with that, once more, a small explosion shook the confines of Rarity's bedroom.

********

"Oh, again Sweetie Belle?" Rarity moaned from her new perch across the room. "How many times does this make it?"

"The last time," she heard in response. But it was strange, the voice sounded distorted and in triplicate. Realizing the origin of the strange voices, Rarity fixed her gaze across the room, but could only stare in shock at what she saw. There was her Sweetie Belle facing her from across the room, standing in front of a now open window. Scootaloo and Apple Bloom had joined Sweetie Belle, standing on either side of her, but the trio was leering at Rarity with twisted smiles, as though they were enjoying the look of horror on her face. And the eyes! Oh, by Celestia the eyes! She could see all three sets clearly! All of their pupils had elongated into dragon eyes and had turned a turquoise color. They were HER eyes! "Farewell, dear sister," they all chimed together as they leapt from the window.

Rarity was just about to give chase when she heard a weak, voice call out, "No. We have to stop her. We cannot allow her to..." Turning to confront this new voice, Rarity was shocked to discover Princess Luna at her side. But it was not the same Princess that was here just a second ago. This Luna had a normal mane and tail, and she was no larger than a regular pony! In fact, she looked much like she did just after being cleansed of Nightmare Moon! With a pleading look in her eyes, the now-debilitated Luna repeated, "Go. Stop her."

Dragging herself over towards her window, Rarity looked out and hung her head in defeat. "It is too late. They are already at the edge of the forest. SWEETIE BELLE! PLEASE! COME BACK!" Rarity screamed out in a last ditch effort to save her sister.

While back in the room, Luna just slumped to the floor in the pool of her previous fabric prison and started to sob, "Oh Big Sister! Oh Celestia, what have I done?!"