• Published 17th Oct 2012
  • 1,225 Views, 24 Comments

Luna Nos Custodit - Tsuguri



She knows what is coming, only She is willing to pay the price. Above all else, Luna Watches Over Us

  • ...
8
 24
 1,225

Apples Fall

The day slowly cooled into the evening. A refreshing breeze was blowing through the orchard, kicking up miniature dust devils and carrying loose leaves along in its wake. The coming harvest was promising to be a bumper crop, capable of earning the family vast profits this year and allow them to soon expand their capacity even more. All the signs seemed to be pointing to a prosperous times for the Apple Family, but these same signs brought little cheer to the golden colored pony approaching a young freshly planted apple sapling.

Tired from a long days work and still soaked with the sweat of her efforts, Applejack stopped to remove her trademark hat and wipe the sweat from her face before she finished her advance. Her heart was still heavy and torn from the previous month's happenings. "Hey there Granny," Applejack commented to the sampling. "Hope you like this here spot. We got you a nice view of the entire orchard here. You'll still even be able to oversee the Sisterhooves Social every year. I just hope I can do you proud." Slowly lowering her eyes and her voice, Applejack slowly started to weep. The tears she could hold back while she was occupied began to pour forth whenever she allowed herself to reflect on the past now.

It all started with Twilight Sparkle's disappearance. No pony had seen hide nor hair since Fluttershy had seen her enter the Everfree Forest. When asked where she was going her only response was that she needed to 'investigate something.' Knowing how Twilight could get when she was investigating, Fluttershy could only wish her good luck and remind her to beware the cockatrice. She didn't want to find her turned to stone again; once in a life time was more than enough for her, thank you. Twilight had assured her that she would be fine and to worry more about her animal friends this close to night fall. Fluttershy had taken Twilight's advice and was now in the processes of tormenting herself over it.

When Twilight failed to return by sun up the next day, her friends began to show concern and then outright worry when she still did not return by that night. The following day, they had roused most of Ponyville to search the entire forest if need be to find their friend. Rainbow Dash had lead the aerial search, pulling half the Pegasi of Cloudsdale into her efforts. Fluttershy had turned her entire animal reserve into a wide-range communication hub, animals constantly running to and from the forest with news and tidbits of information. The other earth-bound ponies joined in the ground search, Rarity even got very dirty in the process and Pinky Pie started cracking fewer and fewer jokes as the time wore on. Applejack had also joined in the search, of course, and had even badgered Big Macintosh into helping. They had both left young Apple Bloom in charge of the farm and searched tirelessly for nearly a week before the second event which had cut their search short.

Scootalo had swooped down on them and breathlessly delivered the news that Granny Smiths hip had given out again. In the course of her fall she had hit her head and was not expected to last long. Shocked and stunned, the brother and sister could only glance at each other and, with a quick word of apology to their team, started a mad dash back home. Deep as they were in the Everfree, it had taken them the better part of the day, but they had never once stopped to rest. Upon their return they had found the young filly sitting out on the front porch, silently crying and only glancing up when she heard them clamor to a stop.

"I tried Sis. I really tried but it was so fast, and then she wasn't moving and wouldn't get up. I sent Scootalo into town once she came by, but it was so long and, and, and I didn't know what else to do!" The young filly started to bawl and fling herself onto the porch, trying to hide her helplessness and despair from her older siblings. Applejack could only spare her a quick pat on the shoulder and an assurance that she had done the best she could. A glance over her shoulder informed Big Mac that he should stay here and comfort her, he had a special way with words after all. A quick nod from him and she was into the house, desperate for some good news.

It was news she wasn't destined to have. She found her granny lying on the living room couch, covered with one of her favorite blankets, and barely breathing. Nurse Redheart from town and several other Apple relatives were gathered around, all sitting or standing quietly just watching her.

"What's wrong with you all," she had exclaimed. "She's not dead yet. Surely the Princess's Protection Spell will kick in any minute now. She'll be up and dancing around again before you know it!"

"Applejack," the nurse had said softly. "you know the spell only protects us from external injuries. It can do nothing to protect us from ourselves, or old age."

Applejack just lightly brushed her off and carried on over to her granny's side. "I'm here now Granny, you hear me? I ain't going anywhere." At the sound of her granddaughter's, voice Granny Smith smiled and barely cracked open her eyes. "Twi... ...kle," her voice barely more than a whisper and so soft Applejack had to strain to hear it.

"We ain't found her yet," was her reply. "But don't you worry none. We'll find her."

"I... know. ...time left. You lead..." The voice had gotten just a bit firmer at the end there, knowing it was almost time and needing to make itself clear.

"What'ya mean no time left? We'll see Twilight again before you know it. The rest of my friends can do it just fine."

"No." The voice was laboring again needing to make itself understood. "You... lead... family now. You must lead..." And with that, Granny Smith fell back on her pillows. Her eyes closed once more, and chest stopped moving.

"Granny?" Applejack questioned softly. "Come on Granny, this ain't no time to be fooling. Granny? GRANNY!" Sobs starting to rack her frame as she finally collapsed and let the exhaustion overtake her. Just burrowing her head in her granny's blankets and letting out all of her grief and despair.

***

The silent form of her bother sliding up beside her brought Applejack back to the present. The sun had already dipped below the horizon, and the wind was starting to really bite now. "Hey there big fella, just talking to Granny some more," was her only explanation. Big Macintosh knew when words were required and when they were not, and he knew this was one of those not times. So he simply came closer and sat next to his sister, providing all the support he could just by being there.

Glancing at Grannies tree she thought back on the old family tradition. About how different it was then the rest of Equestria. They had held the traditional wake in the house with all of their relatives attending. Some attending out of genuine grief, others out of simple tradition, and some even looking over the new power balance amongst themselves. She could see it in their eyes, sizing up the new family head and wagering how much more they could squeeze out of her. At least they would wait until Granny was solidly planted into the family plot. Each Apple family member upon death was buried in the family orchard in their own special area. Each had their own tree planted above them, a living tombstone that would be nourished by the life they had lived and a reminder of what they were.

"This one will be a fine old tree. I'm sure of it," she muttered after a bit. "Granny was so stubborn at times. I'm sure this here tree will be one of the biggest producers we have ever seen." His only reply to this was a trademark, "Eeyup."

"Thanks again Big Mac. You always know just what to say." Gratitude was making itself known to her face again, and was also slowly being joined by a firmness which had been noticeably absent of late. "Alright then. I guess it's time I start acting like the head honcho Granny wanted me to be. How is the rest of the family doin', and what was that Night Guard messenger doin' here earlier?"

Big Mac smiled to himself. This was the sister he remembered. This was the sister who would be leading the family and keep some of the more troublesome family members in check. Silently he withdrew two sheets from his carrying bags. One rough sheet covered in notes and lined in his big strong hoof. The other was a fancy piece covered in flowing script and big fancy words. It was the former Applejack scrutinized first, Big Mac's own thoughts and musings of the current state of the family and where their true allegiances lay. "Like you thought, huh? Some of those trouble makers from Manehattan are making a power play. Sayin' I'm too inexperienced in "family matters" to properly lead them? Like they know anythin' about runnin' this farm. Why, most of them have never sweated a day in their lives!" Big Mac sat quietly throughout Applejacks little rant, just nodding his head at the appropriate places and agreeing with her.

"Now what's this fancy piece of parchment want with me?" she mused as she began to read the second note. Her eyes slowly scanning the page, starting out with a bored expression which just jumped to disbelief and then to outrage. "Who the hell does she think is?!" was her initial response. "First she starts out all flowery and fancy, about how she feels for my lose, then she has the gumption to request a meeting about the future of Equestria. Like I really care about that right now. And what in tarnation does she mean about havin' new information about Twilight? That crazy mare was the only one who didn't send help for the search. Even her sister spared half of her Royal Guard, and she has the nerve to say she now has information!" The fire in his sisters eyes was starting to worry him. Whenever she got this worked up, there was hardly anything any pony could do to break her out of it.

"And wanting'to meet in the Old Castle in the Everfree Forest? What is wrong with her." At this point Applejack whirled to her brother and faced him head on. "The meetin' those upstarts are planning is in two more days right?" she demanded and he just nodded. "Right. Find somepony to take word back to Princess Luna. If she wants to meet we'll meet. But we ain't meetin' in the Everfree. Oh no, we will be meeting right here. If 'm going to be the head of this family then it's high time I start enjoyin' some of the perks. She'll be meetin' me on my home turf. Let's see what she says to that."

Big Mac just nodded once more and then ran off towards the house. With Applejacks ranting finished he had a job to do. Applejack watched him go for a bit before turning back to the young sampling. "Don't cha worry Granny. We might not have found Twilight yet and the rest of town might have given up but not this little pony. No ma'am. If Luna says she knows somethin' then I'll hear it and help to bring her back. Just you wait.

***

Midnight had already come and gone by the time Luna's advance guard approached the farm. Even though it had taken another full day for the letters to flow back and forth between the two leaders, Applejack was still as fired up as before over her meeting with the Princess. "If I find out that she knew something and didn't tell us all, I swear, Princess or no Princess, I'll give such an applebuckin' it'll make the moon itself shatter," she swore to herself.

It took several more minutes for the Night Guard to be satisfied with the area. They searched around the various trees and bushes for unwelcomed eavesdroppers, politely ignoring her the entire time but giving Big Macintosh several dirty looks. Both siblings ignored them all right back and stood waiting for the Princess herself to arrive.

When the lead guardspony did signal an all clear, Luna did appear promptly and instantly gave her an annoyed look. Both sibling, after prior agreement, neither bowed or acknowledged her royal presence.

"Ms. Apple," Luna began after a quiet moment had passed. "I believe we had agreed you would come alone to this meeting.

"Well shucks, I do remember you requestin' that but I don't remember actually agreen' to it." Applejack shot back. "If you all think I'm stupid enough to go anywhere alone right now then I seriously doubt we'll be havin' an intelligent conversation." Luna bristled at the remarks, even more so at the restrained contempt in the Earth Ponies voice, but she had to remind herself that she did speak the truth. "Now let's all cut to the chase and get this here over with. We've got a busy day tomorrow and will be needin' our beauty sleep before long."

"Very well, I shall go directly to the heart of the matter. I require your assistance and the assistance of your family."

"To be doing what exactly?"

"To help me fight a war."

That threw Applejack for a loop. Sure there had been an occasional tussle and scrap she had taken part in. The short aborted battle with the Buffalo Tribes in Appleloosa came to mind. But no pony had actually fought in a war since forever. In fact the last one recorded was when... "Y'all are meaning to overthrow your sister ain't ya." she accused. Luna at least had the dignity to look surprised by Applejacks quick deduction and nodded her assent.

"If it comes down to that, yes I will. However I am still hoping to avoid unnecessary bloodshed."

"Ain't no way and ain't no how am I ever betrayin' the Princess. Me and my whole family are good decent ponies, an even the more questionable ones would never dream of hurtin' her."

"I figured you would claim as much. Twilight Sparkle spoke similar words before her disappearance." Applejack's world was rocked for a second time that night. Twilight Sparkle had heard this speech?

"When? How? Fluttershy was the last pony to see her an she said nothin' about helpin' you with a rebellion."

"That is not quite the truth. Ms. Fluttershy was not the last pony to see Twilight Sparkle. I was, and I offered her the same choice I am offering you before she disappeared."

Applejacks blood was not just boiling anymore, it was raging! She was responsible! No wonder the Night Guard failed to help in the search. They already knew what had happened and refused to tell them!

Bellowing her rage, she did what she had sworn she was going to do. She charged the Princess of the Night. However she was tackled to her side before she got in bucking range by a pair of Night Guards. They stood looming over her, their forms as menacing as ever before they themselves were knocked aside.

"Thanks, Macintosh." Applejack said as she picked herself back up. "What say you to showing the here hooligans that it ain't wise to mess with a member of the Apple Family, let alone two of 'em."

"Ee'yep." was his only reply before they threw themselves at the surrounding guardsponies, determined to take them all down.

Or at least as many as they were able. The end result still found the pair pinned down to the earth. Applejack required just three guard ponies to keep her pinned, but Big Mac still had six struggling to keep him down. Luna had brought more guards than even she felt was necessary. After her failure to restrain Twilight Sparkle she was determined not to make the same mistake again.

"Quite impressive," Luna muttered. "Just the two of you were able to do this much damage against some of my elite guards."

"Well shucks," Applejack threw back. "If these here were some of your best, then it's no wonder you want us to join you. If we had had some time to prepare there ain't no way you would have been able to stop us."

"I sense the boast in your claims, but there is a grain of truth to them as well. I am even more convinced than before in the necessity of your families recruitment to my cause."

"And just how do you plan to go about do'in that? We'd both die before we joined you"

"Oh I think I have a solution that does not require that extreme of a measure." Even as she was speaking, Luna began to gather her powers. Her horn started to glow brighter and brighter until it made the eyes water.

The two Apple siblings spared a quick glance at each other before the spell fired. Whatever it was they would face it together.

***

"Oh, my head. How many times do I have to tell you Big Macintosh to not break out the strong cider so dang soon." Applejack complained as she clamored to her feet. Shaking her head and glancing at her surroundings instantly reminded her of the events of the previous night. Night Guards still loitered around the area, but gave her a wide berth. Princess Luna was still present, sitting several yards away watching the sun rise with her back to Applejack and her brother.

"Oh my gosh! Big Mac!" She whirled around looking for her elder brother. She found him curled up on his side beside her. A dazed expression on his face and his eyes cloudy as if a fog had settled there.

"What did you do to him?" She exclaimed anger and concern vying for control on her face.

"The same thing I did to you." Luna replied, not even bother to turn and face her accuser. "You just happened to recover faster than him due to your strong heart and role as a holder of an element of harmony."

"So it's true huh?" Applejack muttered as she strode over to sit next to the Princess. "An honest to goodness war really is comin'."

"Yes," was Luna's simple reply. "And there is nothing my sister can do to stop it."

"Now look it here," Applejack exclaimed. "I ain't swearin' fealty to ya and I ain't goin' to do anything directly against the Princess, but I guess I ain't got much more real choice in the matter do I?"

"My dear Applejack," Luna softly replied. "You will always have a choice. It is simply if you assist me or if you would rather wish to die."

She cringed at hearing it put so bluntly, but respected the conviction the tone conveyed. A single glance over her shoulder at the sounds of her brother coming around confirmed his rise to conciseness, and a single nod from him was all the encouragement she needed.

"Well, I reckon there's just one thing left to do." She simply replied before swiftly turning on her front legs and letting Luna have a fully loaded double shot of her hind legs straight to the face. As she looked down at the astounded Princess whose eyes were still whirling around inside of her own head she motioned for the onrushing Night Guards to stand down. "That was for knowing all about Twilight and not telling us. I promised myself I would do just this if I found out just that, and I always keep my word." She reached down and slowly helped the Princess up and faced her squarely. "Now that that's out of the way, I guess all I have left to say is Luna Nos Custodit." The words simply sprang out of her mouth. Never hearing the phrase before she looked a little confused before she realized from where the new knowledge came.

Luna allowed herself a small smile. Truth be told, she would have had a hard time restraining the large one that threatened her composure, but her face hurt too much even with a small one. Even that did not diminish the relief she felt. After all the trials and hardships, things were starting to turn in her favor.

"Well, we had better get movin'." Applejack said breaking into her reverie. "If I don't hurry and get myself into town, I might not be the Head of this family for long. Seeing as how we might need you to pull off your magic trick again on stage, think you could give us both a lift?"

"I think we can arrange something." Luna softly said meanwhile pondering, 'By Discord this filly can really kick!'

She motioned to her guards to prepare her transport and sat back to heal herself. The day had just began and there was still plenty of more work to do before it was finished.