• Published 17th Oct 2012
  • 1,225 Views, 24 Comments

Luna Nos Custodit - Tsuguri



She knows what is coming, only She is willing to pay the price. Above all else, Luna Watches Over Us

  • ...
8
 24
 1,225

Splintered Family

The wind rushing by her face was nothing really new. After all of her adventures and games with her fellow Crusaders she was used to speed; and truth be told she felt that Scootalo had pulled them faster before in their cart, but Apple Bloom had to admit that the added excitement of being so far above the clouds was just amazing! She had trouble tearing herself away from the view at the front of the carriage. She just couldn't get enough of the wind in her face while looking down so far to the ground. She had been surprised when her sister had swooped down at the house to pick her up, Seeing her big sis and brother riding along with none other than THE Princess Luna was shocking, but no more so when they told her to climb aboard and join them on their way into town. Normally she would have been apprehensive about joining royalty or flying so high, but if her sis and bro were fine with it then she could handle it as well.

Her worries had been left back on the ground as they took off. Normally she would have been quite curious about the hushed conversation her family was having with the princes, but right now she just didn't care. How many other times would she get to experience this! She was so caught up in her sensation that she was startled when her sis started calling out, "DASH! RAINBOW DASH!"

Looking over to where she was shouting Apple Bloom could now make out the shape of the fastest flier in all of Ponyville, no scratch that, in all of Equestria zipping about and gathering a group of darkened clouds from all over the sky. Upon hearing her name she stopped momentarily and zoomed on over, pulling alongside and easily pacing the royal carriage.

"Hey guys, what's up? Hanging out with royalty now?" She called out smoothly, not even breathing hard after her bursts of speed.

"The Princess here was kind enough to offer us a lift into town." Her sis called back. "We're runnin' a tad late to the latest family tussle at town hall. What's with all the cloud wranglin'?"

"Weeellll... with all the time we Pegasi spent looking for Twilight we're a little behind on our weather jobs. So we have to have a small storm now to compensate." Rainbow Dash called back sheepishly. "Don't get me wrong," she hurriedly added, "we haven't given up yet! We're still looking for her when we can and everyone knows to keep an eye out for Twilight and Pinkie whenever we fly over the forest! We just couldn't put this off any longer."

"I know Dash it's just... What a second, what happened to Pinkie!?"

"Oh don't worry. She's not lost, she just refuses to leave to forest. She's practically living in there until she finds Twilight. We still see her now and again and always drop some supplies off when we do."

Apple Bloom sighed in relief with her sis. After losing one friend to the forest the thought of losing a second was terrifying. But if Rainbow Dash said Pinkie Pie was all right then she knew it was fine.

"That's a relief," Applejack called back after a second, "moving along though, when is this here storm of yours supposed to kick off?"

"Once we get all the clouds together, another half hour or so."

"Listen, would y'all mind waitin' until we get into town? Wouldn't do to show up to a big shindig looking all washed out."

"I suppose so. I'll talk to the others and slow down the our collection speed. Good Luck!" Dash called out before shooting away to find the rest of the weather group.

"Ok. Now that that's settled, Apple Bloom I've got a job for you to do when we land."

****

The skies were definitely darker by the time the family landed in front of the hall. Although the clouds looked ready to burst it appeared Rainbow Dash had come through since not a single drop had fallen just yet.

"Alright now, you two remember your parts?" Applejack asked her siblings. Big Macintosh just nodded while Apple Bloom chimed in, "Scout up any of the fillies and colts that are here and herd'm out of the main hall." "Good let's go get this done and keep this family together."

Watching the trio stride towards off Luna could only smile to herself. The conviction in Applejacks voice was reassuring to all, but now she had her own plans to prepare. While the carriage soared off into the darkened clouds it would have taken very keen eyes to realize the princess was no longer aboard and even keener still to notice the dark mist that drifted into a vent on the halls back side.

****

The hall was filled with voices. Some raised in heated debate, others calling out for attention, and very few others calling for silence and order. All in all, a scene of political chaos. Applejack watched from outside for just a moment more, confirming who was seated with whom and who was trying to control the situation. With one last glance at her fellow sibs she finally flung open the doors and calmly walked on through. She might have even gone unnoticed if it weren't for the large lighting flash and even larger thunder boom which accompanied her entrance and instantly silenced the entire hall. 'Thanks for the help there Dash.' She thought to herself while openly she proclaimed, "Howdy all! Looks like you couldn't want for me to get this thing started."

"Applejack." A cultured voice called from the stage. "We were unaware of the need to delay this very important meeting any further. Considering the fact this is to establish the next family head."

"Uncle Orange." Applejack called back sweetly. "Forgive my confusion but I thought that this was already decided."

Orange had the decency to at least not openly laugh at this statement but the amusement was there in his eyes, along with a touch of resentment that she could just make out. "Ah, yes. I can see how that would be confusing. While Granny Smith may or may not have named you her direct successor, we would still need to have the rest of the family acknowledge it."

"What are you implyin'?" She was barely holding her anger back. "Are you claimin' that I fibbed about Granny's last words?"

"There were very few other ponies around when she spoke those words and they claim it was almost impossible to make them out. Even so, she most certainly was not in her right mind and there is the possibility she was hallucinating who she was talking to."

Taking several deep breathes, she reminded herself that anger was not the way to win this. She would have to calmly win over the rest of the family in order to remove these accusations, and it was imperative that she did win them over. Otherwise they were all possibly dead.

"Not withstandin' the fact that I was there and I heard her words and that I intend to keep this responsibility she gave me, why shouldn't I be the Head? I'll be running Sweet Apple Acres regardless and that's where the head has always lived."

"That is true since Granny Smith was the only Family Head we have really had and she refused to live anywhere else. And in regards to that, I heard from some traveling brothers that they had won the Orchard in a Cider making contest. Care to explain those claims miss?"

"First off, it was Granny who actually made the wager. Second, we never actually bet the Orchard. And thirdly, we won since the town rejected to cider those Flim Flam bothers made and declared us the winners." 'Calmly, calmly.' She thought to herself.

"Be that as it may, how can we expect one as young and brash as yourself to handle this responsibility?"

"While I may be a youngster next to some of you, I've had a lot of experience. I've ran a booth at the Grand Galloping Gala, helped to face down two of the biggest threats this land has faced in a thousand years, and have had personal meetin's with the Princess, BOTH of them in fact." While she was reciting off her accomplishments she was also scanning the room, watching the families reactions and watching her siblings. Big Mac was holding steady right beside her and she could only just see Apple Bloom moving among the other youngsters, slowly herding them out of the main hall. 'Everythin' goin' along fine so far.' A crease of annoyance crossed her face as she noticed a dark mist up high near the roof. Jerking her head towards the back stage she glimpsed it drift in that direction and then turned to her brother. "Now since Big Mac here is better at these speakin' gigs then myself, I'll let him take over for a spell while I go get me a drink."

Big Mac didn't even bat an eye as he stepped on up and began fielding questions from the wider spaced family members. After Applejack stepped off stage she charged right up to and stared down the princess who had just solidified. "What in tarnation was that all about?! I thought we agreed that I needed to do this thing myself?" She threw at her.

"Calm yourself." Luna threw back. "I have done nothing to your family, yet. I was merely interested in seeing how this plays out. And I must commend you, you are handling this better than I had believed you would."

"Well thanks for the confidence." Applejack rolled her eyes and then continued on. "Apple Bloom has the yougnens all most out of the hall now. You're sure that it's necessary though?"

"Very." Was Luna's sharp reply. "My spell needs to be very finely tuned, and it is too powerful for any young minds to be exposed to. They would run the risk of being completely overwhelmed."

Thinking back on her own experience with the spell, Applejack shuddered. She would have done anything to keep Apple Bloom away from that spell before, that feeling now doubled with this additional comprehension. "OK. She'll have them out in a moment. Just make sure you're ready when it's time, but NOT before! You understand me?"

"I understand you quite well Ms. Apple. If it makes you feel any better then I shall remain here and prepare. You will not see me until the appointed time."

"Good." Seeing that her brother was wrapping things up she added. "Almost time then, just need to win the rest on over now."

"And how do you expect to do that if I may ask?"

"By doing what I do best. Bein' stubborn." She threw over her shoulder as she headed back on stage. Once there Big Mac stepped aside with a simple nod to her. "Thanks for the speech Big Bro. Now do any of you all have any other objections?" She was hardly surprised when Uncle Orange stepped back up, that he was accompanied by Cousin Crabapple was a shock though. The younger pony was dressed as casually as ever, just his working hat and a simple bandana around his neck. She remembered giving him that bandana for his last birthday and was surprised at what she was seeing in his eyes now. Sure he had expressed some resentment at the main household but she had never seen the hate that was in them now and she never thought he would actively challenge her.

"Now see here Applejack," So it would be Uncle that was the spokespony, "Macintosh has made some excellent and moving points in your favor, but I am still not convinced you have the required strength to successfully run this family."

"I understand your concerns Uncle Orange," now it was time for the confrontation and for confession, "I know I let you and Auntie Orange down all those years ago. You taught me the rules of society well and I just up and ran out on you both. But understand this, runnin' back to the farm was what I needed to do. I've tried to make it up to you both since then but know it was never about you. I had just realized where I needed to be and it was here in Ponyville and not in Manehattan. I'm truly sorry about that." She could see her uncle softening under her words but he still firmed up after she was done.

"That is neither here nor there. What I what to know is that you are willing to see this venture through."

Seeing her opportunity Applejack walked onto center stage and marked out a line. "All right then. Here is my determination. I'm callin' on the clause for a buckin' competition."

Uncle Orange finally had the presence of mind to look unnerved. "Now just wait a moment.."

"Now you all know that I'm the strongest apple bucker there is and that I could take any of you all out in one go so here is my proposal. One shot. I'll not move from this here spot and every pony gets one free shot to knock me out. If I can withstand you all then I'm the head honcho and if I fall then that pony gets it all."

Looking at the fire in her eyes Orange could only shudder. Young Crabapple however could only see the opportunity. "You're on!" He eagerly called out.

Orange looked over at him and whispered "What are you doing?"

"Seizing the opportunity." He whispered back before calling out, "So who gets to knock her hat off first?"

There was some murmurings and shuffling of hooves, then a few stallions started to make their way to the front and like a wave they gathered more as they came. As they gathered round and started to hash out their bucking order, Big Macintosh approached his sister with a concerned look in his eyes, one Applejack was starting to share. "Well, that's more then I thought. But don't worry I can take it." At the stern look in his eyes she bowed her head. "Didn't say it was goin' to be easy, but think back to last night. I have to take it. You just make sure they play fair and only take their one shot."

While the order seemed to be finally settling down Applejack prepared for her first challenger. Meanwhile, Crabapple muttered softly to himself at the end of the line. "Oh she's tough. I know that. She won't fall before we get up there. Oh no she won't. But by then she'll be weak and dazed. She won't be expecting the surprise we have in store for her will she." "No, that she will not. And soon this family will belong to us."

****

The beating took more than an hour to finish. Even if she had issued the challenge and even if the others only got one shot a piece, it was still just a ritualized beating to Big Macintosh. His sister started out defiant enough, cracking jokes along the lines of "Hardly felt thatin'" or "Come on, Apple Bloom can buck harder," but after just 15 minutes she quieted down. By then she already had the makings of a black eye and had a split lip. After a half hour she hardly said anything, she just took the blow and staggered back a step or two but never went down. She just took a minute to gather her wits again and stepped back up to the line, after spitting out any fresh blood from her mouth she would simply call out "Next."

Finally though the end was in sight. Only young Crabapple was left and while he was a decent applebucker in his own right, he was nothing compared to the others who had already gone. After this his sister could rest and move things along.

"You sure you don't want to surrender now cousin?" He asked her. Applejack didn't bother with a reply, and even if the fire in her eyes had diminished behind her swollen lids it still burned bright enough. "Can't say I didn't warn you." He said before nimbly spinning around and launched Applejack off her feet. Big Mac could only watched astonished as his sister flew through the air. While others may have knocked her back or staggered her, no pony had actually launched her! Only after she landed in a crumpled heap did he find the power to move again, rushing over to her side while Crabapple swaggered over the astonished crowd.

"Well, I guess that settles things," He was saying, "Now that she's down I guess I'm the Head Pony and I have a few things to say."

"Hold on there young one," Uncle Orange called out, one of the few who choose not to participate. "The rules say you have to knock her out."

Crabapple just looked at his uncle for a few seconds before comprehension make him whirl around again. Big Mac was still by his sisters side, but being very careful to not actually touch her, she had to do this on her own. But slowly, ever so slowly, she was making her way back to her feet. It took her a good deal longer than any of the other times, but she still made it. Her head was obviously still swimming and she was close to blacking out, but she still staggered her way back to the line and blankly looked around. "Next."

"NO! IMPOSIBLE!" Rage shook Crabapple as he charged her once more. Before he could get in range though he was slammed aside by a very large force. Glancing up he found himself locking eyes with a very angry looking Big Macintosh. "Nnnope." Uncle Orange walked along side and pulled him to his feet. "You only get one shot like all the rest. You also lost like all the rest." Looking back and forth between the two older stallions Crabapple still could not contain his rage and furiously stomped over to join the rest of the defeated.

Uncle Orange slowly approached Applejack who gently turned to face him. "Next." Was all she said. "No." He replied. "No more next. No more debate. You had proven your skill and now you have proven your resolve. So no more."

"No more? No more," She slumped down and would have passed out if not for Uncle Orange holding her up. "Now now. We can't have that can we. Not when we still have some business to attended to."

"Business, right." Now that the blows had stopped she was slowly regaining her wits, she could feel her mind clearing, and could feel the protection magic of Equestria slowly start to heal the worst of the damage.

She started to stagger to the front, guided by her Uncle and then her brother who had rushed back on over. By the time they got there her mind was mostly working again and she could stand on her own. Uncle Orange addressed the crowd, "I submit that Applejack has proven herself capable and able to lead this family. As such I nominate and acknowledge her as the new Head of the Apple Family. Do I hear any objections?" Scanning the assembled crowd he could see none. Even young Crabapple, still furious about being denied, stayed quiet. "No? Then I present to you all the Leader of this family. Applejack." So saying he turn to face her and knelt down to one hoof. All the rest followed his example, even Big Macintosh, and soon Applejack was the only one standing in the entire hall.

Applejack would have been blushing by this point if her face wasn't already black and blue. "Oh get on up everypony. You all know I don't care for formality like that."

"Nevertheless it needed to be done." Her uncle said while everypony regained their feet. "Now as also needs to be done, we need to hear from you what your directions are."

Looking over the crowd Applejack felt a small rush of excitement. She had done it! She had held onto the title that Granny had given her and secured their future. A voice from back stage shook her out of her revelry however. "This has taken far too long. We need to make haste or my presence will soon be missed." Right, now she just had to survive that future.

"I know you all are hoping' for some grand speech but I hate to disappoint. I'm not the speech makin' type so I'm just goin' to say what we all need to do. Expand. We are going to expand into some metal workings. Those of us with finance, start buying metal ore and shippin' it the farms. Those with farms, build smithies and be prepared to process that ore and fashionin' steel. That steel will be turned into blades and armor and these will be stored and used to equip the army."

With all of the confused and astonished faces one of them managed to speak up, "Excuse me ma'am, but what army?"

"Why the army we will be fieldin' and providin' to fight the comin' war." A gasp of pure surprise arose from the crowd. "Now I know you all don't know a thing I'm talking about yet, but I got someone here who can explain it all. And who can prove this will profit us in more ways than one." And on cue Princess Luna burst on stage, her horn glowing brightly and spell casting before anypony could comprehend it.

As the crowd stared at the light, one by one they dropped to the ground. Their eyes were still open but no longer seeing, a grey film covering and clouding their vision. As the light faded only three figures remained standing. Princess Luna, Big Macintosh, and Applejack who exclaimed, "Why'd you go and do that for? We were going to explain to them first right?"

"That was the original plan, yes." Luna stated as she started to wander through the crowd. "But we both knew it would come to this in the end and like I said we need to make hast. I merely shortened the time this will take."

"That may be, but I still don't like it. Anyways, why aren't Big Mac and me also taken another nap?" She glanced at her brother who was also checking on the unconscious family. "We saw the same light as them."

Luna was stopping on occasion, her horn glowing as see knelt down and examined some pony or other "That is simple. You have already been exposed. I do believe once was more than enough and did not see the need to subject you to it a second time."

"Well thanks for small favors I guess. So what's it you're doin' to my family?"

"Checking for spies. I thought I felt a trace of her presence during your ordeal and now I need to make sure." Her horn glowed brighter as she approached young Crabapple and as she glanced down to regard him she realized two things. One was that his eyes were not clouded over, and two that he was in the process of drawing some form of dagger from his bandana.

She realized this just in time to dodge backwards, only receive a graze along her cheek. With a roar he surged to his feet and charged the Princess, ready to inflict even more damage but suddenly found himself slammed aside for the second time that night. "Nnnope." Was all Big Macintosh said as he watched the young one pick himself up again.

"Twice now, twice you would deny us our vengeance!" Applejack startled at the change which had overcome him. His voice now whipsawed between high and low, he crouched low to the ground like a Timber wolf ready to pounce, and his face... by Celestia she had never seen a face so contorted by anger and rage. It was as if there was something else inside of him trying to claw its way out. "Eeyup." Was Big Mac's only reply. While he was as shocked as his sister at the changes overcoming his cousin, he was to focused to let down his guard just yet. In fact the only one whose composure had not changed was the Princess who now regarded him with a look of sympathy and contempt.

"I thought it was you. I see you at least found a decent pawn this time."

"Oh yes. This one was filled with much hate and resentment. Such delicious emotions, he practically welcomed us in. All for a chance at power and glory long denied. He has indeed made a fine vessel." Even as he talked, Crabapple was circling around, his blade poised, eyeing his opponents and looking for an opening.

"Same old tales and promises I see. That has never changed."

"Oh but it will. Yes it will. Soon you shall be removed and your threat will be gone forever! Cleansed by fire and by our purpose!" At this last exchange he charged at the weakest link he could find. Directly at Applejack who was still recovering from her ordeal. Just before he could strike however, he was slammed aside for the third time that night. Not by Big Mac this time but by a magic field being projected by Luna. The field pinned him to a wall and proceeded to expand and cover his whole form.

"Even if that were true you will not be here to see it happen. Every other time you had already slipped away, your damage done and your pawns discarded." Luna's eye misted briefly at the suppressed memories. "Not this time. This time I will end it!"

The field started to glow and crackle. The energy rapidly building and discharging into the air. "You can't be serious! You would destroy this vessel just to silence us!"

Hearing these words both Applejack and Big Mac looked toward each other and started running for the Princess. "If it means completing my goals you know I would. I am not my sister."

By now the field was reaching critical levels. It now formed a small concave shell around Crabapple and still held him against the wall. The side was hazily transparent with small bolts of electricity flying from the edges and wherever they struck they left a bright welt and smell of ozone.

"NOO! STOP! Cousin, cousin applejack, please she means to kill me. It's gone now, she can stop! Save me, Please!"


"Stop it!" Applejack pleaded finally reaching Luna's side. "See his voice is back! It's left him! You can let him go now!"

"Don't be foolish!" Luna retorted. "You know I cannot do that. Once taken he would never be free again. He would serve until his purpose was done or he was a dried up husk. That is the way she works, you also know this to be true."

Applejack looked back through her memories and saw what the Princess meant. Looking once more at her cousin she decided to face him head on. "She's right. I hate it but she's right. So all's I can say is that I'm sorry Crabapple. Sorry I didn't realize this sooner and be able to do somethin'. I'll do what I can so that others don't suffer as you have."

"Liar! Bitch! You never cared! We shall return! Just you wait and see! We shall strike you down! All of you!"

Without ever taking her eyes off her cousin Applejack quietly said, "Do it." Luna fully charged the field which then glowed with an even brighter hue.

"AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" The scream seemed to carry on forever until it was silenced by a sickening pop. Then it abruptly was quiet and the hazy view through the field was obscured by a crimson liquid which seemed to completely flood the shell. Once Luna dispelled her field the liquid sloshed down the walls and spread across the floor with Crabapple laying in the middle of it. Applejack, mindless of the blood, rushed forward and crouched next to the still form."I'm sorry cousin. I really am."

"He was a weak and pitiful excuse for a colt." Luna said breaking into her sorrow. Applejack just glared daggers at the Princess. "However he was a member of this land and a member of your family. I shall summon my guards so they can dispose of this body and clean up the mess. We have little time left before your family awakens and this should not be the first sight they see."

Glancing at her sleeping family Applejack was forced to agree. "Alright, but you ain't disposin' of this body. We have our own ways and we'll be stickin' to them. Just hold onto him until we can find a nice apple patch to plant him in."

"If you insist. He is your kin and your rights will not be challenged. I shall leave his ultimate location up to you."

Turning back to her fallen cousin Applejack could only softly weep and started repeating to herself, "Luna nos custodit, I'm so sorry Crabapple but luna nos custodit.." She stayed there the entire time until the Night Guard arrived to take him away.

****

"Couldn't this have waited until morning?" The stallion yawned, "Some of us need our beauty sleep you know."

"No, it could not." Came the sweet sounding voice from the shadows. "Our fly in the orchard was discovered and silenced before accomplishing its mission."

"Oh dear me," the stallion mocked, "whatever shall we do. They are just a ragged band of peasants and farmers, what threat could they possibly be?"

"This ragged band of peasants is one of the most connected families in this realm. You would do well to remember how far their reach can extend."

"Yes, yes, I'll keep it in mind. But so what? So they get to stay hidden in the dark for a bit longer. Once our latest piece is ready we shall have no more need of these petty games. Speaking of which how is the piece coming along?"

"Slowly. It provided much more resistance than usual and as such will require even more preparation to use."

"Pity. Once it is complete my dear Aunt will have all the reason she needs to eliminate the problem for us."

"Pray you are right young lord." And with that silence returned to the room. Walking over to his window they stallion let his gaze wonder over the city of Canterlot and watched the sun illuminate it.

"Yes Auntie dear, do bring light back to the world. We can't be wallowing in darkness forever can we?"