• Published 19th Aug 2023
  • 494 Views, 14 Comments

Forgetful Service - gapty



In a garden behind a parking lot, any student can vent their grievances to an unknown fairy.

  • ...
1
 14
 494

Autumn

Weeks passed, and the garden made significant progress in its appearance: Beautiful flowers blossomed, and the ground was plastered with soft grass, the borders set with blooming bushes. Even the pleasing aroma in the air was a joy, and the small forest around added to the relaxing feeling with the sounds of birds chirping their pleasant melodies.

It didn’t mean the work was done. Mother Nature had her own visions, forcing me to pick weeds regularly and treat the plants to keep the garden like it was, but I liked it this way. With that, I had a reason to keep working here and be alone by myself.

However, when I heard steps behind me and turned to see Sunset Shimmer approaching, I bit my lips nervously.

What was she doing here?

“Hi there!” she greeted me, waving her hand, before she took a closer look at me. “I don’t recall seeing you around before.”

I nodded slowly.

“My name is Sunset Shimmer, and yours?” she asked me in a friendly voice, offering me her hand.

I didn’t take it. I knew about her mind-reading abilities.

Seeing how I didn’t react or reply, Sunset chuckled nervously and took her hand back. “You seem nervous,” she asked me. “Is everything alright?”

Why was I scared of her? I had the Memory Stone close to me, meaning that I was safe.

I shook my head and exhaled. “Sorry, I had a short blackout. I’m, ehm, Wallflower.”

“Nice to meet you,” Sunset replied and looked around. “Beautiful garden. Did you do everything yourself?”

Why was she being so nice to me? What was she up to?

“Y-yeah. It’s the garden of the gardening club,” I responded.

“Haven’t heard of our school having one.” Sunset rubbed her chin. “Newly founded?”

“Some months ago,” I answered. “So far I’m the only member.”

“Even more impressive. This looks like you worked here for years,” Sunset praised me.

I smiled proudly. Not many appreciated or even glanced at what I made here, so it was a pleasant surprise to hear these words from her.

“Thank you,” I said. “It means a lot to me.”

“Something tells me you’re also the fairy of the rumour spreading across the school, am I right?”

The question was asked in a friendly and curious voice, and by Sunset‘s relaxed expression, it was probably meant as that too. Nevertheless, it sent chills down my spine. Somehow, she’d caught me.

I didn’t reply immediately, but my surprised stare must have answered the question already for her, as she chuckled softly.

“So you are our mysterious fairy.” She crossed her arms and eyed me.

I gulped, reaching unintentionally for my bag. What was her intention?

“I expected you to be more like a normal student, with the way the portal works,” Sunset continued, her tone still friendly. “But to be honest, I never heard of fairies in Equestria.”

“Equestria?” I asked with a confused voice.

Sunset blinked. “Our… home world?”

Shoot. Of course it had a name! Why didn’t I get it from the context? Now she knew that I made everything up! Except…

“Oh, right! Equestria!” I faked a relieved laugh. “I forgot so much of my world over time, even the name.”

“I see,” Sunset nodded, but from her raised eyebrow I could still see her doubts.

“Also,” I said, “did you just say ‘our’ world? You’re from there too?”

To my surprise, Sunset’s face frowned. “How are you just hearing this for the first time? Didn’t you say you’re a student here too?”

“I, um, joined the school not so long ago,” I lied, internally slapping myself for my stupidity. “Not really the type to find things out quickly.”

“Hm,” Sunset replied, her eyes piercing through mine. “Tell me more about yourself. I never heard of ‘fairies’ from there.”

“Um…”

What should I do? This was getting worse! Why did I build upon the fantasy of Trixie? Sunset was from this other world, so she would quickly figure out how nothing added up!

“I think,” Sunset said, taking a step closer, “that there is no fairy, and you’re—”

Before Sunset was able to finish her sentence, I took my bag, used the Memory Stone on her and ran away.


Our evening dinner was quiet, which was unusual.

Even though my mind was absent, the thoughts circling around Sunset, I noticed the worried glances my parents were giving me.

But they didn’t ask what happened.

Minutes had passed, and I continued stabbing my food with my fork. I had to do something about Sunset and her friends. They would poke their noses into what shouldn’t matter again and again, taking away the only thing I had in the school. Why did they even care? I wasn’t doing anything bad!

“Are you not hungry, Wallflower?” my mother asked, breaking the silence.

I looked up at her, then back to my plate, shoving a piece into my mouth. Maybe this would be enough to calm her down.

“We’re getting worried for you,” my mother continued, placing her fork on the table. “You’ve stopped telling us anything about your friends or the school, despite staying there long after class is over.”

“I told you about my garden club,” I replied, not looking up. “That’s why I stay there longer.”

Why did she care? Shouldn’t she be happy I wasn’t with someone that might influence me in the wrong direction? Not that I cared, but having other worries right now, it infuriated me.

“But didn’t you get new members?” my mother asked. “I thought someone like Sweet or Sandalwood would be interested in it.”

“The Sandalwood you wondered whether was a hipster with all the ‘perks’?” I asked her, clenching my fist tightly around my fork.

“Oh, it was him?” My mother rubbed her chin. “Yeah, better not let him join. Who knows what he’d grow.”

I pressed my lips tightly in response. Of course she would say that; why did I expect something else?

“Now you’re going too far,” my father murmured, furrowing his eyebrows.

“All I care about is the safety of and absence of bad influence on my child,” my mother responded, crossing her arms.

“What safety?” I asked, standing up from my seat. “Any time I tell you about someone, you find a single trait and then assume the worst. Blueberry? Obsessed with her looks. Watermelody? Her abstract paintings showed her family and psychological issues. Golden? Never trust actors; they all lie through their teeth!”

“Because I care for you,” my mother replied in a worried voice. “Especially with what supposedly happened at your school with apparent ‘magic incidents’. Stuff like that shows that the current generation is going downwards.”

“Could you stop assuming the worst for once?” I yelled. “I already mess up any conversation, and I don’t need you to tell me what else I’m doing wrong!”

“Wallflower, watch your tone!” my mother retorted.

“As if it matters!” I shouted. “Once I’m back in my room, you won’t remember this anyway!”

I backed up, holding my mouth with my hands. I had blabbed, despite swearing to never mention the lack of memories again. Based on the wide eyes my parents gave to each other, I knew that they sensed that there was more to what I said.

“Wallflower,” my father said, taking a deep breath. “These memory holes that we have—”

I turned on my heels and ran back to my room, and once the Memory Stone was in my hands, they stopped calling my name. Sitting down, I tried to slow down my rapid breathing, as I felt my heart racing in my temples.

Just why did this keep happening? Why did I always mess up everything? I should’ve just nodded to what my mother told me and moved on—just like my father. She would talk any potential friend away anyway. Why did it bother me that she judged anyone so badly? Didn’t I judge myself like this too?

I couldn’t keep this up. They had too many lost memories; they would put the puzzle pieces quickly in place.

Couldn’t I just keep my role as the fairy? Couldn’t everyone just leave me alone? Why did everyone stick their noses into what didn’t bother them?

Why couldn’t I be happy?


The next day at school, I arrived earlier than anyone and waited for Sunset in the hallway. I didn’t intend to talk to her, but I had to figure out if and what she was planning to do.

The first to arrive were five of her friends, one by one. As usual, they gathered together before their lockers and talked with each other. Standing close to them, I couldn’t hear anything noteworthy regarding me.

Looking at the clock, the first lesson was soon about to begin. Just where was Sunset Shimmer? Why else would I come so early?

My gaze at the entrance doors, I heard Sunset greeting her friends. Where did she come from?

“There you are, darlings!” Rarity greeted Sunset and Twilight. “How did the inspection go?”

“The ‘fairy’ wasn’t there,” Twilight replied, “so we installed hidden cameras and microphones. This time, she won’t be able to make herself forgotten.”

My eyes widened, and it took all my self control to not yell out in surprise. Cameras? Microphones? They were all out for me!

“And you really don’t remember anything from yesterday?” Rainbow asked.

Sunset shook her hand. “Not a single thing. Neither the fairy, nor how I entered the garden, nor why I was there. I even forgot that there was a rumour of a fairy in our school.”

“Yeah, that fairy seems up to something if she’s so afraid of you,” Applejack added.

“Is everything alright with you?”

The silence after Fluttershy’s question made me turn to their direction, making me realise they were all staring at me.

“Yes, why?” I asked through a forced smile.

“You look like you have a panic attack!” Pinkie explained, her voice way too cheerful for my liking.

Placing my hand on my chest, I felt it moving rapidly from my breathing.

“It’s… um, nothing!” I laughed and turned to walk away. “Absolutely nothing!”

They knew. I might’ve as well had a red glowing arrow pointing at me with the letters “It’s her!”, so obvious was my reaction.

“Are you sure?” Applejack asked. “‘Cause you look nothing like fine.”

“No, really, I’m fine,” I replied and quickened my steps.

Distance. I needed distance from them. Just enough to reach into my bag and make them forget me. I only had to walk behind that corner and—

“Now hold up!”

I screamed in surprise when Rainbow appeared out of nowhere before me, only a gust of wind showing that she had used her super speed.

“Were you eavesdropping on us?”

“W—What? No!” I stuttered, grinning so widely that I showed all my teeth.

“Then why are you so scared?”

Calm down, I thought to myself. As long as they don’t know about the Memory Stone, you’re safe. But it was easier said than done; I couldn’t take off my bag without raising any suspicion.

“And who even are you?” Pinkie asked, her voice being friendly despite the situation. “I don’t remember seeing you around here.”

I gulped. Now or never!

I pushed Rainbow away, causing her to yelp and fall to the ground. Before anyone could do anything, I took my bag off with a swift movement and reached into it for the Memory Stone. As soon as I grabbed it, I felt myself being raised in the air.

“It must be her!” Twilight said, whose hands were glowing in a purple aura.

But I didn’t need to move, and within moments, they and anyone around us had forgotten what just happened.


It was completely silent. With the start of the first lesson, no one was in the bathroom, but I still locked myself in a stall. My legs pulled to myself, I tried to take deep breaths to calm down my racing heart which felt like it might explode.

It was too close. Only one moment too late, and I would’ve lost everything. Only one moment too late…

What should I do? Just what? I didn’t know! I couldn’t lose my fairy role! I needed it!

Why did the Rainbooms care for it? Why did they want to ruin everything? Just why?

It was the only thing I had left. I erased any memories of me as Wallflower, and I couldn’t allow to lose myself as a fairy too!

It wasn’t fair! Sunset was a bully! She didn’t deserve to become popular! Everyone still remembered her mistakes, but they didn’t care! Why couldn’t Sunset see how much being the fairy means to me?

Clenching my teeth, I kicked with my feet at the door. The lock broke, causing the door to be opened, and made way for me to view myself on the mirrors above the sinks.

What a pathetic girl. The tangled hairs and clothes were full of sweat and the face red from crying. Who even loved me? Who even liked me? Was I even worth being remembered? Would my parents be happier if they forgot me?

The fairy was the only thing I had left. The only thing that I had left.

The only thing left of me…

Taking the Memory Stone in my hands, I marched out of the room. I knew where the Rainbooms were, which lessons they had.

They wouldn’t take the rest of me away!


It shouldn’t have been that easy.

It shouldn’t have been that easy.

It shouldn’t have been that easy!

There was no way I could’ve just marched into a classroom, raised the stone, walked up to one of the Rainbooms and snitched her geode away, while her eyes were mindlessly staring into the void.

It shouldn’t have been that easy…

In the yearbook office, I laid down the seven geodes on the table. Even without touching them, I could feel their magic pulsating from being close together. It was a wonder they didn’t corrupt me, considering the previous incidents like at Camp Everfree.

But the geodes didn’t bother me anymore. I was safe from the Rainbooms—at least for now. I had no idea what to do with the cameras and microphones they planted in my garden, but that was a worry for the future.

They didn’t remember having their geodes or their superpowers, and Sunset didn’t remember that there were any fairies in her world.

No, what not only bothered, but frightened me was the Memory Stone that I had now in my hands.

There was absolutely no resistance. No one could do anything to stop me. Everyone in the room forgot me as soon as they saw me, making me essentially invisible.

I could’ve done anything to anyone.

I was unstoppable with it!

I carefully laid down the Memory Stone next to the geodes. My eyes locked on it, I let out a long sigh.

What was I doing?

Now, in this room with no one else to distract me, I recalled the last months. The way I used the Memory Stone, the way the mystery of the fairy unfolded, the way I cut myself out from anyone…

My fate, didn’t I…

…do this…

…myself…?

I erased anyone’s memory of me, I made sure that no friendship with me was able to be made, I let the rumour of the fairy be built up—Sunset had every right to be suspicious, if I was able to take her geode that easily from her and leave her without any memories of it! If I were Sunset, I would try to stop me too! If I were in her place, I would do everything to—

Gasping for air, I backed up, distancing myself from the glowing geodes on the table.

“I felt that!” I yelled at them.

Their power around me, their magic… They were close to corrupting me in my guilt.

But maybe I should let them? Maybe the Rainbooms would fix me…

It was a warm and welcoming feeling. The power understood me. It knew what I wanted. It—

No!

Opening my eyes, I took another step back.

“You can’t fix anything!” I shouted at the geodes.

The power was tempting. It would fix my mess. It would—

With a swipe of my arm, I knocked the geodes off the table and ran out of the room, locking the door.

I had to calm down. Once my feelings wouldn’t let the geodes corrupt me, I could deal with them later.

As for now, I had to deal with the cameras and microphones in my garden.


Stomping on one last device, I was sure that I got every “bug” Sunset and Twilight had planted. Now, everything was back to being perfect. No one would bother me with being the fairy in the garden behind the school’s parking lot, and anyone requiring my service would be able to get it.

Just as it was meant to be.

Hearing footsteps, I was surprised to see Trixie coming towards me. Wasn’t it the second period? Didn’t Trixie have geography class with me?

“Oh, hi there,” Trixie greeted me, waving her hand. “You’re the fairy, right?”

I blinked, confused as to why Trixie would leave a class to speak to me. However, it was the role I wanted, so I smiled and nodded in reply. “Indeed! Do you need my service?”

“Well…” Trixie trailed off, rubbing her chin. “Maybe a bit of an unusual request, if that’s possible.”

“As long as it doesn’t involve erasing anyone else’s memories,” I responded.

For a short moment, Trixie raised an eyebrow, but then waved her hands. “Oh, no no,” she said, laughing. “Trixie doesn’t want herself to be forgotten. You see, she has learned a new and astonishing trick that she needs to practise with someone, but it doesn’t work when the person remembers the end.”

“I see,” I replied. “This falls under my service, so go ahead.”

“Thank you so much!” Trixie cheered and placed her bag on the ground, pulling out a blindfold. “For this trick, Trixie shall prove her Great and Powerfulness by doing the trick blind! You can test it yourself.”

She held the blindfold before my eyes. With a nod, I confirmed that I couldn’t see anything, and Trixie put it on.

“Now watch, and be amazed as the Great and Powerful Trixie—” She produced with a snap a deck of cards. “—shall show you a card trick! Pull out any card you want.”

She spread the cards before me, and I took one from the middle.

“Now memorise it and put it back in the middle of the deck!”

I followed as Trixie said. She masterfully shuffled the cards, spreading and throwing single cards at random in the air and catching them—very impressive, considering she was blindfolded—before, at last, she gave me the deck.

“Now, tell me any number from one to twelve.”

I thought for a moment. “Seven.”

“Now, count seven cards from the deck and put them on the bottom.”

Was this the end of the trick? With no idea of any magic tricks, I would be amazed if I found through sheer guess the correct card.

“Now, turn the top card!” Trixie declared, putting her hands proudly on her hips.

I turned the card and—

“Not the one,” I said, biting my lip. Did I mess up?

“What?” Trixie exclaimed, raising her blindfold. “And you did exactly what Trixie said?”

I nodded. “I think I did.”

“That can’t be!” Trixie yelled. “I couldn’t have messed this up! I have to try it again! Erase your memory of the trick! Well, except the blindfold. No need to repeat that.”

She put back on her blindfold and crossed her arms.

“And the cards?” I asked carefully.

“Oh, right.” Trixie raised her hand in the air. “Just give them to me.”

I placed the deck of cards into her hand and reached for my bag with the Memory Stone. Once I forgot the trick, I put the stone in my pocket—after all, I might need it more than a few times.

“Okay, done,” I said. “You can start over again.”

“And you forgot everything about the trick?” Trixie asked, her voice with a hint of worry. “It only works when you haven’t seen it before.”

“I promise I have forgotten everything except the blindfold,” I said.

“Then watch!”

With a snap of her finger, she produced a colourful rope.

“For this trick, the Great and Powerful Trixie will ask you to tie her up.”

Trixie stretched out her hands towards me, so I took the rope and was about to begin when Trixie interrupted me.

“No, no, no! Not like that, but in a special way! Do as I say!”

Trixie explained how I should tie her up, which I followed step by step.

“—and at last, hold my hands,” Trixie commanded.

I did, but as soon as I took her hands, she stretched her elbows to the side, causing the rope to slide onto my hands. She quickly pulled with her now free hands on the end of the rope, tying me up.

“What…?” I exclaimed, shocked at the sudden action. Was this part of the trick?

“And now for the best part,” Trixie chuckled, taking off her blindfold, “we take your hands, pull them up in the air—” She did each movement that she announced. “—and take that stone of yours!”

I gasped and tried to pull my hands free from her grip, but to no avail. With her free hand, she reached into my pocket and took the Memory Stone. I raised my knee to kick her, but Trixie was quicker and kicked my standing leg, causing me to fall down.

“No!” I shouted. “Please, don’t take it from me!”

“Like these glowing crystals you took from Rainbooms?” Trixie responded, her gaze only at the Memory Stone.

“The geodes?” I asked in surprise, before my jaw dropped. “Wait, how do you remember?”

“I don’t know,” Trixie said. “Maybe because I’m Great and Powerful, maybe because you didn’t see me in the hallway watching you holding that stone.”

I remembered. I only erased the memories of me from those in the classes, not from anyone who saw me. It was such an easily preventable mistake!

“But… how did you make the connection?” I asked, close to tears.

“Come on, fairy,” Trixie rolled her eyes, “wasn’t Trixie the one who came up with the fairytale of yours? Trixie always knew that you were just an ordinary student; she just waited to see if you would get caught by the Rainbooms. But, well, you actually defeated them, taking away… um…” She scratched her head, unable to remember that the Rainbooms had powers. “…whatever the geodes gave them, so Trixie decided to take that magical artefact from you herself!”

“No! It’s dangerous! Please, untie me! Don’t take it away from me.” I begged her, trying to untie myself from the rope. How was the knot so tight?

“Dangerous? The only one being dangerous is you,” Trixie responded, holding up the Memory Stone. “Now, how does this one exactly work? Trixie didn’t see you murmur something or make a special move.”

“As if I’ll tell you!” I retorted, giving up on untying myself, and stood up on my knees. "Now, free me!”

Trixie bursted out into laughter. “Really?” she asked, holding her stomach. “You think you can order me around? If you only knew how pathetic you looked right now!”

I couldn’t hold it any longer and broke into sobbing.

This was it. I’d gone so far with the Memory Stone, even going against the Rainbooms, just so I could stay the fairy, and yet it was the same service that I offered that took it away from me—even by the person with whom it all started.

Fate couldn’t be more cruel and ironic.

“Please…” I cried. “It’s the only thing I have left.”

“Don’t worry, fairy girl, Trixie will make good use of that stone—better than you have, at any rate. Maybe she’ll even be so kind as to let you keep your memories. Even if,” she gave me a disgusted look, “it doesn’t look like you want to remember yourself like that.”

At that moment, the school bell rang.

“Well, Trixie has to go,” Trixie said and put the Memory Stone in her bag. “Good luck to you, you’ll really need it.”

As she walked away, I crawled to my tools and cut the rope with them. Afterwards, I took a notebook from my bag and wrote myself a note of anything that I should remember.

I didn’t know what memories Trixie would erase from me, but I needed to be prepared.