• Published 2nd Aug 2023
  • 1,794 Views, 75 Comments

Changing Diamonds - ShowShine



Has Rarity ever been a pony? She's very sure that she is, but her recent behaviors have been very...unponylike

  • ...
5
 75
 1,794

Smells

First step to being an ordinary pony: Food. Though it might be tricky, it’s what Rarity needed to do to survive. She stared at a piece of toast that she had prepared for herself.

Not jam or jelly to cover the bland taste. Just toast. Though it wasn’t much, it was enough to give her nutrients for the next few hours.

As much as Rarity didn’t want to, it was better than eating ponies' love. It would be horrid if she did something like that. She had read the book she had borrowed from Twilight cover to cover, and Rarity had come to a simple conclusion. Changelings were simply vile.

They were nothing but violent, hateful creatures. At least, that’s what she had read. She couldn’t risk becoming something so terrible.

Rarity wearily gazed at the toast. Just the idea of eating made her feel sick. She inhaled, levitating the toast to her face. She shoved it in her mouth, trying to ignore the foul taste. She swallowed, suppressing a gag. She put her hoof to her mouth, letting out a shuddery exhale.

She absolutely despised this, but this was the only way to survive. Rarity didn’t want to be like one of those creatures.

Rarity looked at the clock that hung on the wall. It was best she get going now, or she’d be late for the fashion show.

She popped up from her seat, wiping the crumbs from her mouth. Rarity put her hoof to her chest, inhaling deeply. She was a pony. Nothing more, nothing less.


Rarity walked through the streets of Ponyville, levitating a large case behind her. Her eyes landed on a crowd of ponies entering the town hall. On the front doors of town hall hung a large banner. “Adopt-a-thon Show Today!” It read in bold letters.

She smiled, lifting her head high. It filled her with pride knowing that so many ponies were here to see her work. Well, it wasn’t all her work. Fluttershy had helped her with the designs.

If this event went well, she could start an entire clothesline for animals! She could picture it now! Ponies lined outside her shop, asking for cute outfits for their pets.

Rarity slipped past the crowd, making her way behind the building. A true artist always had a special entrance. She walked through the backdoor, feeling the cool air hit her skin.

She placed her case on the floor, popping it open. Folded clothes lay neatly at the bottom, blending with the stage curtains. Rarity sighed lovingly, admiring the well-decorated building. It matched the event perfectly. Her eyes landed on her dear friend Fluttershy.

Fluttershy stood at the stage, her head peeking through the curtains. She nervously gnawed on her hoof, her legs quivering under her.

“I’m here!” Rarity announced in a sing-song voice. Fluttershy turned around, giving Rarity a sweet yet relieved smile.

“Oh, Rarity! I’m so glad you’re here!” Fluttershy welcomed, trotting up to her friend.

“Well, I wouldn’t miss this for the world!” Rarity said with a wink. She wrapped her arm around Fluttershy’s neck.

“Now, let’s get ready. The show will start any minute!” She cheered, leading Fluttershy farther backstage.

Fluttershy turned to her animals, leaning down to their height.

“Miss Rarity will dress you in there. Okay?” Fluttershy explained, pointing to the dressing rooms. The animals quickly swarmed to Rarity’s hooves, now following her every move. Rarity thought it was rather adorable.

“Quickly, quickly. We mustn’t waste any time.” She instructed, making a quick trot to the dressing rooms. Above her head, she leviated all of the clothing she had made.

She led the animals into the dressing room, gently closing the door behind her. Rarity faced the animals, scanning through the group.

“You’re first.” Rarity pointed to a beaver. It crawled over, staring at Rarity with wide, curious eyes.

“Put your arms up.” She instructed the beaver. She obeyed, putting its arms up. Rarity slipped the sundress over its head, letting it fall at the beaver's sides.

She looked in the mirror, staring in awe at the dress. She chittered to her animal friends, visibly excited about her new look.

“Ok, who’s next?” Rarity called out. The animals swarmed to her hooves, excitedly hopping in place. A mix of smells hit Rarity, causing her smile to fade.

The animals were just so kind to her. It made her chest burn and her headache. Her eyes burned as if someone had kicked sand in them. It was just all too much.

Her tongue flicked from her mouth, a gravelly hiss emitting from her. Drool dripped from her lips, hitting the floor with a faint hiss.

She brought her hoof to her mouth, pursing her lips shut. Did that hiss come from her? It couldn’t have!

But the petrified look on the poor animals's faces proved her wrong. They trembled hopelessly, staring at Rarity with wide eyes. What had she done?

“I’m so terribly sorry.” She apologized, stepping towards the animals. The animals scattered in different directions, their claws clattering across the floor. They hopped over the furniture in the room, knocking over tables and chairs.

It was like a zoo, animals screeching left and right. This was just utter chaos.

The door creaked open, catching Rarity’s attention. Fluttershy stood at the door, her mouth agape.

“Oh no, what happened?!” Fluttershy asked, her face riddled with concern. Rarity looked between Fluttershy and the frightened animals.

“I…” Rarity tried to think of an excuse. She looked back at the mess she had caused. “Not to be a bother, but can you finish dressing them? I need to get to the announcer's booth.”

Fluttershy blinked in surprise.

“Oh, uh, sure!” She responded. Rarity rushed past Fluttershy, keeping her head low. Rarity slammed the door behind her.

What was wrong with her? Scaring helpless animals was not a pony thing to do. Her heart pounded in her chest. She couldn’t believe that she had just…lost control over herself! It was so animalistic of her!

She ran her tongue over her top row of teeth. Rarity froze. Did she have fangs?! Another quick prodding session showed that she did. Rarity groaned, shaking her head. She didn’t have time to deal with this changeling nonsense; Fluttershy needed her.

Rarity walked up a flight of stairs, entering the announcer's booth. She swung the door open, staring at the room before her. It wasn’t much, just a counter, chair, and microphone.

The booth was high up, giving a perfect view of the audience. It looked like a full house. The amount of ponies made her heart hammer in her chest. It wasn’t the size of the crowd; it was the smell.

She didn’t know how she could smell them from here, she just could. In fact, the smell reminded her of the day of the wedding. It was the same sickeningly sweet scent.

Rarity’s eyes widened. She was smelling their love. It was so clear now. She could feel everything the ponies below were. Rarity knew changelings ate love, but this was ridiculous.

Her stomach growled once again, causing her to curl over in pain. She plopped in her seat, clutching her stomach.

Rarity needed to hold herself together. If not for her, then for her business. More importantly, for Fluttershy.

The lights dimmed, and pop music began to play. Rarity sighed, putting her hoof to her chest. Showtime.

“Hello everypony! Welcome one and all to the first-ever Ponyville Adopt-a-thon!” Rarity announced. The audience cheered, easing her anxiety a bit.


The spotlights shined at the back of the stage, revealing a possum.

“Look at that wonderful ball gown worn by Sal the possum. One of my more avant-garde pieces.”

A possum strutted down the runway, twirling happily. The gems on the dress shined under the light.

The audience gasped in awe.

Rarity leaned forward, staring at the ponies below. So much love filled the room. The room smelled like a buffet, the mixing scents making her stomach churn. Rarity anxiously swallowed, bringing the mic back towards her mouth.

“Here comes Ronnie the beaver with her beautiful sundress! Designed after the Canterlot gardens.”

The audience ‘oohed’ and ‘aaahed’ at her work. They were loving this! A little too much love for her liking. It made her head fuzzy.

It was all too much.

Rarity hissed into the mic, her body lurching forward. Her arms swung out, knocking the mic off the counter. She could hear the speakers screech from the sudden noise.

A bubbling liquid rose in her throat, leaving a burning sensation. A corrosive substance shot from her mouth, sizzling when it hit the floor.

What was that? Upon closer inspection, it seemed to be some type of acid. It seeped through the floor. Was this yet another changeling thing? Just the mere sight of it made her feel woozy. Her legs began to feel weak under her.

“Rarity, are you okay?” Fluttershy asked, pushing the door open. She rushed into the room, gasping at Rarity’s state.

“Oh my, you look horrible!” Fluttershy gasped, rushing to Rarity’s side. Her love was far too pungent.

“No!” Rarity pushed Fluttershy away, suppressing a hiss. Fluttershy stumbled at the sudden excessive force, nearly falling over.

Rarity wanted to apologize, but her mind felt blank. ‘Feed feed feed’ her brain chanted. She shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts.

“I’m fine, I’m fine.” Rarity hastily croaked, attempting to remain standing. “I think I just caught a bug.”

Fluttershy nibbled at her hoof, looking between Rarity and the mic.

“You should go home. You look like you need the rest.” Fluttershy suggested. Rarity’s face dropped.

“B-but what about the show? Someone needs to be in here!” Rarity reminded. Fluttershy’s ears flattened, and she glanced down at the crowd.

“I’ll…I’ll do it! I’ll finish the show by myself.”

Rarity cocked her head.

“Are you sure? It seems a little late for a change, doesn’t it?”

Fluttershy shook her head, nudging Rarity out of the room.

“Mhm! Now you go home and get rest, okay?” She instructed. Rarity hesitantly left the room, closing the door behind her.

She stared at the closed door. Oh, how she wished she could control herself.

Rarity couldn’t even last two animals before lashing out; It was ridiculous! She needed to get these disgusting urges under control.

She would be a pony.