• Published 4th Jul 2023
  • 577 Views, 61 Comments

A Satisfactory Surplus Of Sense - Starlight Fan



What if I took some of the most heavily criticized episodes and put some freaking sense into them? Find out in all these one-shots.

  • ...
2
 61
 577

To Change A Changeling

Starlight and Trixie were facing a dilemma. Thorax’s brother Pharynx was causing major problems in the Hive and has been making every Changeling miserable. Originally, they were planning on talking to Thorax about banishing his brother but after hearing their history together where Pharynx always tried to protect Thorax, Starlight didn’t have the heart to tell him to banish his brother.

So Starlight quickly excused herself and Trixie and led her to a private location of the hive, no you perverts, it’s not for the reason you think.

“What are you doing? I thought we agreed you'd tell Thorax he had to kick his brother out of the hive!” Trixie whispered harshly to Starlight.

“First of all, I never agreed on you throwing me under the bus,” Starlight narrowed her eyes at her friend before brightening up, “Second of all, we may not need to get him banished. Maybe if we appeal to Pharynx’s more protective side, we could try and work out a solution for his role in the Hive.”

“How would we reach a compromise? The hive seems to be doing just fine.” Trixie raised an eyebrow.

“Not really. Thinking about it more, Pharynx has a point. The Changelings are putting a lot of faith in plant trails to lead the Maulwurf away but that’s not really effective. If we can get Pharynx to tone down his behavior and get him to talk with Thorax, we might be able to work something out.” Starlight explained.

“I guess you have a point. But who’s going to get Pharynx?” Trixie asked curiously.

Starlight immediately gained a malicious smirk and booped Trixie on her nose, “I nominate you!”

Before giving Trixie any more time to process that, she teleported away much to the magician’s annoyance.

“Trixie honestly should’ve seen that coming.” Trixie muttered to herself before turning to a cyan Changeling walking nearby.

“Um… excuse me. Have you seen Pharynx? He’s looks like you except… evilly.” Trixie asked curiously.

“Oh, I’m sorry… but Pharynx is gone.” The Changeling said politely.

“Wait what?” Trixie’s eyes widened.


When Starlight got back to the throne room, she was surprised to see Thorax being swarmed with his fearful subjects.

“Everyone, please calm down. I know things look bad right now.” Thorax was trying to calm down the crowd.

“The Maulwurf is literally heading towards us!” One of the Changelings cried out angrily.

“We’re all gonna die!” Another Changeling spoke with despair.

“Thorax!” Starlight called out in concern.

“Oh. Starlight.” Thorax said in relief before flying down to where she was, “Thank goodness you’re here. The Maulwurf was just seen earlier near the Hive. I need your help rounding up the rest of the Changelings. Where’s Trixie?”

“She’s getting Pharynx. I felt you two needed to talk.” Starlight told the Changeling King before hearing the rest of the Changelings in the area groan in annoyance which made the unicorn narrow her eyes a bit, but she couldn’t really blame them.

Speak of the showmare, Trixie immediately ran to the scene and panted as she stood next to Starlight.

“Glad to see you’re okay Trixie, where’s Pharynx?” Starlight rubbed her friend’s back in concern.

“He left the hive.” Trixie explained.

“What?! And he’s all alone with that Maulwurf. I have to find him!” Thorax began flying off before Starlight began following.

“I’m coming with you.” Starlight said hurriedly before turning to Trixie, “What about you?”

“I… guess I can join, if only for morale.” Trixie said nervously before standing next to Starlight.

“Who else is coming?” Thorax asked before the Changelings awkwardly turned away and starting chatting amicably.

“Ugh, fine.” Thorax groaned but Starlight wasn’t having any of it.

“Oh, sure, you could all stay here, not help Pharynx and he won't bother you anymore. It's your choice. But remember when you didn't havea choice! When you were forced to obey Chrysalis! You might have been unstoppable, but you weren't free to choose! And now you are, because of Thorax!” Starlight began speaking in a motivating tone as she began to smile, “Well, it's his brother out there, and now it's your chance to prove you're just as strong embracing love as you were feeding on it! Now is your chance to show what changelings can really be! Not because you have to, but because you choose to!”


So you know the story after that, the Changelings don’t go with Starlight, Trixie, and Thorax until after they find Pharynx and the Maulwurf. Pharynx ends up using his fighting skills to lead the Changelings to defeat the Maulwurf and everything pretty much works the same way as the show, and Thorax is only a little upset that Starlight and Trixie drove Pharynx away.

Author's Note:

So yeah, To Change A Changeling didn’t need much rewriting. All I had to do was just remove Starlight’s stupid plan and the episode is infinitely better. The episode itself was fine to me but the thing is… even with Starlight’s idiotic plan, she’s still the most likable character in the group. Trixie was an insufferable menace, Thorax was a bit too gung-ho about how Trixie and Starlight treated Pharynx at the end and Pharynx himself wasn’t exactly pleasant until the end.

All I really needed to do was fix Starlight and make Trixie less annoying.