• Published 17th Jun 2023
  • 2,973 Views, 86 Comments

Element of Balance - SamSwordsman123



What if Celestia had a son in Friendship is Magic? How would he fit into the story? Find out as he joins Twilight Sparkle and her friends on their journey.

  • ...
12
 86
 2,973

Chapter 7: Applebuck Season

Applejack stood on a hill overlooking Sweet Apple Acres with her brother Big Macintosh who had a bandage wrapped around his middle section. “Boy howdy!” The cowgirl pony said. “I got my work cut out for me. That there is the biggest bumper crop o' apples I ever laid eyes on.”

“Eeyup,” Big Mac said. “Too big for you to handle on your own.”

Applejack smiled confidently. “Come on, big brother! You need to rest up and get yourself better. I haven't met an apple orchard yet that I can't handle!” she patted him on the back, directly on the bandage, causing him to wince then glare at her. “Oops, sorry. I'll take a bite out of this job by day's end.”

Big McIntosh wasn’t so sure. “Biting off more than you can chew is just what I'm afraid of.”

Applejack now looked annoyed. “Are you sayin' my mouth is makin' promises my legs can't keep?

“Eeyup.” He confirmed.

Applejack was really annoyed now. “Why of all the-” Applejack muttered while slapping air with her hoof. “This is your sister Applejack, remember? The loyalist of friends and the most dependable of ponies?” she got up in his face.

“But still only one pony,” he reminded her. “And one pony plus hundreds o' apple trees just doesn't add up to...”

“Don't you use your fancy mathematics to muddy the issue!” Applejack interrupted. “I said I could handle this harvest and I'm gonna prove it to you! I'm gonna get every last apple out of those trees this applebuck season all by myself!”

As soon as she said it, she gulped.

Fire stood on another hill nearby where his tower was nearly complete after a couple weeks.

“Excellent!” he said. “We’re almost done.”

“Yes! By the end of today, everything will be ready for you to move in, your highness!” Hammer Hoof said.

Fire nodded and looked at all the workers still working. He’d have to thank them all personally when they were done. But for now, he had a job of his own to get done. While they’d been constructing the thing, he’d been doing things himself when he wasn’t on his Sheriff job. He’d picked up tapestries from Rarity as well as art from the local Ponyville gallery and the one in Canterlot. As the workers built the tower, he’d added things to it. Now they just needed to complete the top roof.

He sighed in content and then flew off. It was a day off for him so he could just enjoy himself now. The only he would have to do later besides thanking the workers was welcome his new guards which he’d gotten a letter from his mother saying were ready and would arrive at sunset. Just in time for Fire to show his friends the grand opening of the tower.

He flew over the acres of Applejack’s family and soon spotted the Earth pony beneath him.

“Morning Applejack!” Fire greeted.

She jumped as she looked up. “Oh, howdy Fire! You scared me there!”

Fire chuckled. “Sorry. Working again?”

Applejack nodded. “Yeah, and I better get kickin'. These apples aren't gonna shake themselves outta the trees.”

Suddenly there was a rumbling sound and all the trees began shaking and an apple actually shook out of the tree, landing on Applejack’s head.

“Hey!” She exclaimed before looking over her shoulder. “Oh no.”

She then galloped off.

“What’s going on?” Fire asked as he followed her.

“A stampede of cows!” she said. “I gotta get my lasso and Winona to round em up!”

“Can I help?” Fire asked hopefully.

“Unless you know how to do rodeo, then no!” Applejack said. “Fly over to Ponyville and warn them!”

Fire nodded. He flew over to Ponyville, only to hear Rainbow Dash yell, “STAMPEDE!”

A distant moo sounded and the ponies in town started running and getting into their homes. Except for a certain silly pink pony that just stood there as the ground vibrated and caused her to move with it.

Pinkie Pie laughed. “Hey! This makes my voice sound silly!"

Twilight looked at her in concern. “Pinkie Pie, are you crazy?! Run!”

Mayor Mare appeared and tried to keep order. “Everypony calm down. There is no need to panic!”

Fire flew over to them as Rarity approached the older pony with fear on her face. “But Mayor, whatever shall we do?”

“Don’t worry!” Fire said. “Applejack seems to know what to do!”

Rainbow Dash looked at the stampede. “He’s right! Look there!”

Applejack and a small brown and white dog were running alongside the stampede.

“YEEHAW!” Applejack cried out.

The ponies watching cheered at the sight of the apparent hero-to-be. Fire watched, trying to think of something that could help if Applejack failed.

“Move aside, Winona!” Applejack said. “Put 'em up, girl!”

Winona barked in response.

Rarity moaned in fright closing her eyes. Fire put a hoof on her back. “It's gonna be okay, Rarity!” he said trying to sound confident while he was a little worried himself.

Pinkie Pie took a bag of popcorn from seemingly out of thin air. “This is the best rodeo show I've ever seen!” she said cluelessly as she ate.

Twilight sighed in annoyance at their friend’s lack of intellect. Fire then came up with an idea.

Then an idea occurred to Fire. “Twilight, Rarity!” he called. “Come on! All unicorns listen up!” he called to the rest of the town. “We need to put up a shield in case Applejack’s plan fails!”

Twilight and Rarity followed him a few steps ahead and they channeled their magic. Red, lavender, and blue lit up on their horns. A shield appeared in front of the bridge the cows were heading towards. Hearing him call out, several other unicorns came as well. He spotted Moondancer, Minuette, and his friends from Canterlot among them. Various shades of magic joined with theirs. Hopefully with all of them combined they would be enough to stop the stampede from reaching Ponyville.

Applejack was still hard at work. “Come on, little doggies! Turn!” she ordered while ramming the cow near to no effect. She then whistled. “Winona, put 'em up!”

Winona barked and jumped on top of the cow near her. Applejack did the same and looked at the lead cow. “Gotcha!”

She pulled out her lasso and threw it, wrapping it around the leader with a laugh. She then pulled as Winona barked in support.

“Atta girl!” Applejack said as she grunted and diverted the lead cow away from the bridge and along the river. The others followed suit. “Yee haw!”

The residents of Ponyville cheered as they were safe and the alicorn and unicorns lowered their shield.

Applejack then managed to get the cows to stop. “Whoaaa.” Once they did, she turned to them and asked. “Hooie. Now what was that all about?”

One of the cows mooed and then coughed and cleared her throat. “Oh my! Begging your pardon, Applejack, but Moo-riella here saw one of those nasty snakes.”

This caused the other cows to gasp.

“And it just gave us all the willies, don't cha know?” the first cow said.

Applejack nodded. “I completely understand. Just next time, try and steer clear of Ponyville.”

The cow nodded as she and the others began walking home. “We certainly will, Applejack. So long, Winona!”

The dog barked in response cheerfully. Applejack then made her way across the bridge into town where the ponies began cheering for her.

“Applejack!”

Grinning at the praise, Applejack flailed her hooves. “Yee haw!

“Yee haw!” Pinkie Pie imitated while kicking out. “Ride 'em, cowpony!

Mayor Mare smiled. “Applejack was just... just...”

“Appletastic!” Pinkie said hanging upside down somehow.

“Exactly,” Mayor Mare agreed. “We must do something to thank Applejack for single-hoofedly saving the town.”

“I know! A party!” Pinkie said.

They decided to hold the party at the end of the week.

“Hey!” a voice called.

Fire, who had returned to his day off looked and saw Moondancer approaching along with Minuette, Twinkleshine, Lemon Hearts, Lyra Heartstrings, and another pony with a yellow coat and pink and black mane. Fire didn’t know her name but remembered her as one of the ponies that had chased him and Twilight for the tickets.

“Hey girls,” Fire said. “How are you all doing?”

“We’re good!” Twinkleshine said. “Just back for another visit with Lyra... and you and Twilight. It was sure a thrilling one this time with that stampede!”

“But you were so cool with it!” Minuette said loudly. “You just took charge and had us all put up a shield!”

“Yeah well, you gotta keep a level head in situations like this!” Fire said with a nervous grin. “But it was really Applejack that saved the day.”

“Yeah, she was amazing!” Lyra agreed. “I think I made the right choice moving to Ponyville! Its less crowded than Canterlot but a lot of interesting things have happened. Plus, I feel like I’ve made the bestest friend in all of Equestria here!”

She gestured to the yellow Earth Pony before looking at the rest of her friends. “Not that you guys were bad friends! Anyway, I’d like you to meet Bon Bon.”

The Earth Pony looked at Fire. He narrowed his eyes at her, not in a hostile manner, but a curious one. He knew her. Not personally but he was aware of her real identity, Special Agent Sweetie Drops. She’d stopped a Bug Bear and then assumed a new identity when it escaped a year ago after the organization disbanded. He’d been there in the throne room when the matter had been discussed. She ran a hoof across her mouth, telling him to be quiet, and he nodded.

“Hi,” he greeted.

“Um, it is quite an honor to meet Canterlot Royalty!” Sweetie Drops said with a bow.

Fire smiled and played along. “Nice to meet you, Bon Bon. You all have any plans today?”

“Not at the moment,” Moondancer said.

Fire looked around and saw the spa was nearby. “Anypony up for a little r and r?”

They headed inside where they were able to soak in warm water, get hooficures, and massages. Fire sighed in content again as he felt the spa ponies there knead his back. It felt good.

“So is your house almost done, Fire?” Minuette asked. “I can’t wait to see it!”

“Well, I’m inviting a few of my friends over!” Fire said. “You all can come too!”

They grinned eagerly. As the sun began to go down, Fire headed to the hill where his now complete tower stood. Both his Ponyville friends and the ones from Canterlot were there. The workers stood in front of it. “All finished your highness! We were afraid it might fall in that stampede but we got lucky!”

“Good,” Fire said lighting up his horn. “Alright I declare this… the grand opening of Warm Heart Tower!”

He unveiled the banner he’d had made for the front door showing a red heart above a campfire. The tower was pretty much exactly like he’d sketched. A building that was mostly white a pair of gold rings, one in the middle and one at the top. A pair of torches burned at the top on either side. The doors themselves were painted with flame designs and outlined in gold. Fire was about to open the doors, but as he looked around, he noticed one thing, quickly followed by another.

First, was that somepony was missing.

“Where’s Applejack?” he asked looking around for the hero of the day.

“I tried to get her to come but she said she had too much work to do,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Oh, too bad,” Fire said. “Guess I’ll have to show her later.”

He then noticed the second thing. A group of six stallion ponies, two Earth ponies, Unicorns, and Pegasi, all clade in orange and yellow armor like Fire’s mane. A few other ponies were with them.

“Ah just in time, my new personal guards,” he said.

The two groups of mares parted space to allow the guards through. The guards saluted him and the leader, a green Earth Pony with a bow and arrow stepped forward.

“Prince Fire Sword. We are at your command! I’m Lieutenant Vine Archer, I’ve been appointed acting officer of your personal Flame Guard!”

“Good evening, Lieutenant,” Fire said. “For now, settle yourselves in! You must be tired from the train ride.”

“Sir!” Vine saluted. “Um, where do we sleep?”

“I made some barracks in the basement,” Hammer Hoof said. “Along with some servants quarters.”

“Good,” Fire said.

They headed inside and Fire gave everyone a look at the inside. The entry way had Fire’s throne (which had been moved from Canterlot) in the back as well as a kitchen and dining room with a row of tables large enough for all of them. Below was the basement where the guards and servants could sleep as well as a storage area. The first floor held a study with bookshelves that Fire could fill along with a desk for writing should the need arise. The second floor had some extra beds for a guest room and also served as a gallery where Fire could display paintings or other things he might collect; the tapestries he’d gotten from Rarity were already hung there. One showed his mother’s sun and the other his aunt Luna’s moon. Finally, at the very top was his room, with a red sheeted bed. The sword he’d gotten during the Nightmare Moon fiasco hung on the wall. There would still be much more to come as Fire needed to fill this place in several locations. But it was more then adequate.

“Oh, this is simply divine,” Rarity said.

The others made likewise sounds of approval.

“Glad you like it,” Fire said.

“This calls for a party!” Pinkie said pulling a confetti canon out.

Pinkie Pie brought several boxes of cupcakes while the servants brought food and prepared fine dishes for everypony. Fire smiled as they all celebrated his housewarming. But he knew another party was coming as well.

A few days passed, and that party was upon them. The party for Applejack in honor of her saving the town from the stampede. All of Ponyville was decorated and had balloons and banners everywhere.

Twilight and Fire approached Rarity who was wrapping a red ribbon around a tree.

“We all ready?” Twilight asked.

“Just one last thing,” Rarity said as she lit up her horn.

A large apple themed banner was put on top of Town Hall.

“Now we're ready,” Rarity declared.

“Is Applejack all set?” Twilight asked.

“Actually, I haven't seen her all week,” Rainbow said.

“Not since the stampede,” Pinkie elaborated without breaking her smile.

“Yeah, I’ve been hoping to show her my new place,” Fire said.

“But she'll be here for sure. Applejack is never late. Then you can show her after we’re done with the party,” Rainbow said.

A few minutes later, Twilight and Fire both stood before Town Hall below the banners. Twilight levitated a section of cards for her speech and soon found the first one. “Welcome, everypony! Today we are here to honor a pony we can always count on to help in matters great and small. A pony whose contributions to—

Rainbow Dash suddenly flew into the deck of cards and took over, to Twilight and Fire’s annoyance. “Did you see Applejack's slick moves out there? What an athlete. This week she's gonna help me with my new flying trick, and I know it's gonna be so awesome.

“Uh, Rainbow Dash… Twilight was speaking,” Fire said.

Twilight smiled at him in appreciaton. “Yes, thank you, Prince Fire. But Rainbow does raise a good point. And...”

Pinkie Pie interrupted this time jumping in front of Twilight. “This week, I get to run Sugarcube Corner for the first time!”

Twilight looked at her. “What does that have to do with Applejack?

Pinkie Pie smiled. “Oh. Applejack, one of the best bakers ever, is gonna help me. Applejack makes everything great, so free samples for everypony!

The ponies cheered at this news.

Twilight pushed Pinkie out of the way as well. “Oh-kay, that's great. Now if I could just make a point without being inter—

Fluttershy was there now too. “Twilight?”

“-rupted.” Twilight finished.

Fire frowned at Fluttershy. “Look Fluttershy, Twilight’s already been interrupted twice. I’m gonna have to ask you to wait! And that goes for the rest of you too!”

He pointed a hoof at the others.

“Its rude to interrupt a speech,” he said.

Fluttershy looked down. “Oh, I'm sorry, you’re right. I just wanted to mention that Applejack is also helping me this week with the official bunny census, where we count up all the new baby bunnies that were born this season. She's gonna help gather them using her wonderful herding skills.”

Twilight looked around. “Anyone else?”

“No one else!” Fire said in his royal voice. “Twilight has been working really hard here! Let her have her speech!”

Mayor Mare who had been looking at Twilight with a bright smile hoping to take over now, turned sad.

“Urgh!” Twilight screamed in frustration. “We’ve probably used up all the time before Applejack gets here anyway!”

She stepped off the stage. Fire walked alongside her.

“Sorry it didn’t work out, Twilight,” he said.

“Not your fault, Fire,” Twilight said.

Mayor Mare took over now. “Ah-ahem. And so, with no further ado, it is my privilege to give the prize, Pony of Ponyville Award…”

She gestured to a large golden trophy with a blue ribbon on it. “To our beloved guest of honor, a pony of the utmost trustworthiness, reliability, and integrity. Ponyville's most capable and dependable friend, Applejack!”

The crowd cheered as the curtains on the stage parted to reveal… nopony?

Spike began cheering with his eyes closed. “Cool! Way to go Applejack, that was awesome! I mean— heh.” He opened his eyes and saw the girls glaring at him for the ruined cheer.

Mayor Mare cleared her throat.

“Awkward.” Spike said.

Where was that pony? Everypony no doubt wondered the same thing.

And speak of the pony and she would appear. “I'm here. I'm here.” Applejack appeared carrying a bunch of apples on her back. She yawned and sighed, dropping a few apples. “Sorry I'm late…whoa… I was just... whoa... did I get your tail, Miss Mayor? Thank you kindly for this here... award thingy.”

She yawned again and chuckled nervously as she saw her reflection in it. “It's so bright and shiny and, heh, heh heh, I sure do look funny, heh.”

She began moving back and forth with Pinkie joining. Fire frowned. He hadn’t known Applejack long, but this certainly seemed abnormal.

Twilight was clearly weirded out a little but nonetheless continued. “Okay. Well, thank you Applejack for saving us from that scary stampede, and always being there for everypony."

Applejack yawned again. “Yeah. I like helping the ponyfolks and and stuff. Oh, uh, yeah. Uh, thanks."

She began dragging her reward off, earning strange looks from everypony. Twilight, Fire and the others watched and Twilight asked, “Was it just me, or did Applejack seem a little—

“Tired?” Rainbow said.

“Dizzy?” Fluttershy suggested.

“Messy?” Rarity said, earning looks from everyone. “Well, did you see her mane?”

Pinkie Pie bounced in front of Twilight. “She seemed fine to me. Woo! Woo!” she celebrated cluelessly.

Twilight looked after Applejack. “Hmm."

“I think something is going on with her,” Fire said. “Maybe we should go check it out.”

“I agree,” Twilight said.

The two of them headed after Applejack. They watched her and saw her go home, put her award away and then move from tree to tree bucking them to knock apples down. But after a few successful ones she missed.

“What in Equestria is that pony doing?” Twilight asked.

Applejack hit the bucket now instead of the trees. “Whoops.”

"No idea,” Fire said. “But it’s obvious she’s overdoing. Look how tired she is!”

Twilight called to their friend who fell asleep as she walked. “Hey Applejack!”

Applejack merely snored.

“Applejack?” Twilight repeated.

The Earth Pony snored again.

Fire sighed and flew toward her, yelling, “APPLEJACK!”

Applejack woke up and looked around. “Huh, what? Oh, howdy, Fire, Twilight.”

“What is all this?” Twilight asked walking up and gesturing to the orchard which was heavily harvested.

“It's Applebuck season,” Applejack said as she sleepily walked to another tree only to be surprised when Twilight teleported in front of her. “Whoa!”

“Applewhat season?” Twilight asked.

“Neh,” Applejack mumbled. “It's what the Apple family calls harvestin' time. We gather all the apples from the trees so we can sell 'em.”

“But why are you doing it all alone?” Twilight asked.

“Cause Big McIntosh hurt himself,” Applejack said.

“Applejack, you can’t do this all on your own!” Fire Sword said. “You need help!”

“There ain’t no one else to help,” Applejack said. “Apple Bloom has to go to school and Granny Smith is too old to help out around the farm full time.”

“What about all those relatives I've met when I first came to Ponyville? Can't they help?” Twilight asked.

Applejack sighed. “They were just here for the Apple family reunion. They actually live all over Equestria and are busy harvestin' their own orchards. So, uh, I'm on my own. Which means, I should really get back to work.”

Twilight didn’t move. So Applejack cleared her throat. “Ahem... hint hint? Get back to work?”

Twilight stepped aside. “Fine.”

Applejack, however, was getting worse. “Could you step aside, Twilight?

Twilight looked at her. “I just did. Applejack, you don't look so good.”

“Yeah, I’d say you need to sleep!” Fire said.

Applejack scoffed. "Eh, don't any of you three worry none, I'm just fine and dandy.”

“Three?” Fire asked. “There’s only two of us!”

Applejack tried to kick another tree but missed. “Whoa.”

Fire flew up to her while Twilight teleported again.

“Applejack you sound and look like you’re having hallucinations, or at least can’t see straight!” Fire said. “You really need to get some rest!”

Twilight looked at her. “Do you... want some help?

"Help?" Applejack asked. "No way, no how.”

“Look Applejack, I can order my guards and servants to help you harvest,” Fire said. “I’ll help out too!”

He flapped his wings and called his magic to his horn.

“There's no way you can do it all on your own,” Twilight insisted.

Applejack got up close to her. “Is that a challenge?”

“Uhm... no,” Twilight said.

“Well, I'm gonna prove to you that I can do it!” Applejack declared. “Now if you'll excuse me, I've got apples to buck.”

Fire sighed, anger lighting up inside him. “Fine, work till you drop!” he snapped. “Come on, Twilight let's go!”

And so they left Applejack to her work. Twilight was sad about it, while Fire was mad, at least for the moment. But it soon turned to sadness as well.

Fire returned to his sheriff duties for the next couple days. His guards helped him by patrolling the town and helping anypony that needed an extra hoof. For a while things were quiet though he heard a few things occurred in the reports, like Rainbow Dash being launched into the library and later.

“Sheriff Fire!” somepony yelled.

It was Twilight, Spike at her side as usual.

“Twilight? What’s up?” Fire asked.

“I just heard there’s an emergency at the hospital! Many ponies are sick!” Twilight said.

Fire ran with her.

“We came as soon as we heard!” Twilight said as the three of them entered the room.

Nurse Redheart looked at them. “Oh thank you, Twilight, Prince Fire! We need all the help we can get!”

The sick ponies moaned. There were indeed many of them, including all Fire and Twilight’s Canterlot friends.

“Moondancer, Twinkleshine, Minuette, Lemonhearts, Lyra!” he exclaimed as he looked at each of them. “What happened?

“It was a mishap with some of the baked goods,” Redheart said.

“No, not baked goods, baked bads,” Pinkie said as she looked ready to puke.

“Applejack,” Twilight muttered. “First she sends Rainbow crashing into my library and now this!”

Fire sighed. “That settles it! We have to help whether she likes it or not!”

Spike suddenly appeared holding a couple muffins, one of which he held out to Twilight and the other he munched on.

“Want one?”

“No!” Twilight said taking the muffin away. “Give me that!”

She threw it in the trash to Spike’s dismay.

“You’ll be lucky if you don’t get sick from that!” she said.

They headed to Sweet Apple Acres. Fire took a small detour to get his servants from Warm Heart Tower.

“Listen up everypony!” he said. “My… our neighbor, Applejack, is working herself too hard harvesting! She’s caused several ponies to get sick by misbaking treats. We’re going to lend her a hoof! Whether she likes it or not!”

The servants dropped what they were doing and followed him to Sweet Apple Acres, where Fire was able to catch the tale end of Twilight trying to persuade Applejack to accept help.

“Ugh!” the Earth Pony exclaimed. "No, no, NO! How many times do I gotta say it? I don't need no help from nopony!”

“Ugh. That pony is stubborn as a mule!” Twilight said.

A nearby bray from a mule drew her attention.

“No offense,” she added.

“None taken,” the Mule said.

“Well stubborn or not she can’t do this!” Fire said. “Come on, lets get harvesting!”

His servants immediately began working on the trees in various ways, magic, flight and bucking. Fire took as many apples in his red magic as he could.

Twilight looked at him. “You sure you want to do this when Applejack’s not okay with it?”

“She’s not thinking clearly,” Fire said. “She’ll be lucky if I don’t hit her with a sleep spell next time I see her. From the looks of it she could use one.”

“Well, I’m gonna just go back to reading,” Twilight said. “Don’t blame me if she yells at you for helping.”

She left, and Fire was left on the farm. Applejack was nowhere to be seen for a while. Then one of the Flame Guards flew up.

“Your highness, trouble in Ponyville!” he said.

“What?” Fire exclaimed. “What’s going on?”

“A bunny stampede!” the guard said.

Bunny stampede? Fire flew to the town and saw there indeed bunnies all over, eating flowers as Fluttershy tried to round them up.

“Oh my. Oh... please stop, little bunnies. Oh no! Please, let's go home. Oh my goodness,” she said.

“All right,” Twilight said before spotting Fire. “You were right, Fire. Enough is enough.”

They headed to Sweet Apple Acres, running into Fire’s servants along the way.

“What are you all doing here?” Fire asked.

“Sorry your highness but that friend of yours saw us and chased us out!” one of them said.

Fire frowned. He and Twilight continued on, finding Applejack with her eyes closed sleepily while still bucking a tree. But she’d gotten so weak only a few apples fell.

“Must… keep…buckin'... just…a few… more. Must finish harvestin’.” Applejack said through heavy gasps.

Twilight approached her. “All right, Applejack. Your applebucking hasn't just caused you problems, it's over-propelled Pegasus', practically poisoned plenty of ponies, and terrorized bushels of brand-new bouncing baby bunnies. I don't care what you say. You. Need. Help.”

Applejack scoffed. “Ha! No, I don't. Look, I did it. I harvested the entire Sweet Apple Acres without your help. How d'ya like them apples?

Suddenly Big McIntosh appeared next to her. “Um, how do you like them apples?”

Applejack looked and saw him pointing to another part of the orchard that had not been harvested. “Where'd all the
apple...?” she mumbled weakly and finally fainted.

“Applejack. Applejack,” Twilight put a hoof on her.

Applejack woke up. “Huh?”

Twilight sighed in relief. “Oh, good, you're okay. Now Applejack, I completely respect the Apple family ways. You're always there to help anypony in need, so maybe you can put a little of your stubborn pride aside and allow your friends to help you.”

“Yeah, you need it,” Fire said.

Applejack sighed. “Okay, Twilight, Fire.”

“I am not taking "no" for an answer,” Twilight said expecting a refusal before raising her eyebrows. “What?”

“Yes, Twilight,” Applejack said. “Yes, please. I could really use your help.”

Twilight chuckled and sighed.

“Finally,” Fire said.

He called his servants while Twilight got their friends, both local and from Canterlot. Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash all took one part of the orchard while Moondancer, Twinkleshine, Minuette, Lemonhearts, Lyra, and Bon-Bon did another, and Fire’s servants helped with the last. Twilight and Applejack weren’t there for a while, as Applejack needed rest after working so hard and Twilight needed to make a report to Fire’s mom.

Twilight wrote the letter.

Dear Princess Celestia,

My friend Applejack is the best friend a pony could ever have, and she's always there to help anypony. The only trouble is, when she needs help, she finds it hard to accept it, so while friendship is about giving of ourselves to friends, it's also about accepting what our friends have to offer.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle

She then joined them quickly followed by Applejack who looked nice and refreshed after a long nap. Twilight levitated large numbers of apples into the buckets waiting while Fire both flew and did the same.

Applejack looked at them all in appreciation. “How about y'all take a little break?” she asked. I got some fine apple juice waitin' for ya!”

She sighed as she looked around at all of them. “Girls, Fire, other ponies, I can't thank you enough for this help. I was acting a bit stubborn.”

“A bit?” Twilight repeated with a grin.

Applejack looked at them. “Okay. A mite stubborn, and I'm awful sorry. Now, I know the town gave me the Prized Pony award, but the real award is having you all as my friends. And these friends of friends,” she added as she looked at Fire’s Canterlot friends and new servants.

"Phew!" Rainbow Dash said. "That applebucking sure made me hungry."

"And I've got the perfect treat!" Spike said.

He pulled out the bad muffins.

Pinkie Pie, for once, was not in a treat eating mood. “Eeew... Spike, I threw those all away. Where'd you get them?”

“From the trash!” Spike said.

“EW!” Everypony said and began walking away.

“Just a little nibble?” Spike asked. “Come on.”

“Ew! Gross!”

“Not a chance, Spike!” Fire said. “Those made ponies sick! Just throw them away! We’ll have our own party at my place! Besides, I haven’t had the chance to show Applejack yet!”

They did so. Pinkie asked to personally make the treats so the servants let her use the kitchen. Lemonhearts helped as well making lemon cakes. They all had a good set of baked goods while Spike reluctantly put the bad ones in the trash.

“Well, Fire this is a darn good place! Bit fancy fer my taste but it fits a prince!” Applejack said. “Especially the son of Celestia!”

“Thanks,” Fire said before remembering something. “Neighbor.”

She smiled at him. Soon everypony cleaned up and headed home.

“See you girls later!” Fire said to his guests as they all headed out.

Author's Note:

Okay another chapter down and we’ll see when I get the next one out. Should be in September sometime since I’m focusing on another story right now. Just to let you know I’m debating on whether or not I will go through the whole series, I can say these things for certain, if I do make it all the way to Season 9. I will NOT have Grogar being a fake. That was one of my handful of qualms in the series. I will probably also be going by my own headcanon in regards to Celestia and Luna’s long lives. I have a different headcanon then the common one about it being alicornhood=immortality. Might bring that up at some point but we’ll see.