• Published 11th Jun 2023
  • 435 Views, 12 Comments

Rift in Ponyville - xnaturalblue



The princesses have been gone for years, plunging Ponyville into eternal night. Fire Bolt and her friends take a stand against the evil that has seeped into every corner of Equestria.

  • ...
1
 12
 435

19

Although the sky was always pitch black, now felt more like nighttime than ever. Princess Cadance’s bedroom quarters were beautiful despite the layer of dust that coated every surface, and she looked delighted to crawl into bed. “I’m sorry, I don’t have any other beds in here.” She attempted to ignite her horn, but then took to pushing a few pillows off of her bed. “There are blankets in the closet if you want those.”

“We can find the guest bedrooms, don’t worry!” Marshmallow Creme started to return the pillows to the princess.

Cadance grimaced as she thought. “Um… can you stay in here? Just for tonight? I’m a little bit frightened after everything.”

Marshmallow smiled and returned the pillows to the floor. “Of course we can!”

“I’ll keep watch at the door, Prin- erm, Cadance. Would that help you sleep?” Fire Bolt offered and stepped out of the room at the confirming nod. She shut the door gently behind her and sat promptly in front of it, resting her head against the wood as she sighed.

Inside the bedroom, Sonar Moonshadow and Marshmallow Creme were making a makeshift fort of sorts, yawning the whole time, as Jelly Splash and Sapphire Swirl chatted quietly. Sonar gently opened the door with his magic to keep Bolt from falling inside and started toward the nearest closet. “You okay?” He asked as he rummaged through the closet, pulling a few fuzzy blankets from the interior.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine. I really don’t think anything’s out here anymore, anyway. Can we trade if I get tired?” She asked, clearly too antsy to sleep.

Sonar yawned. “Of course. Come get me when you’re ready to sleep.” He kissed the top of her head as he pushed the bedroom door back open. “Night, Boltie.”

Marshmallow was already seemingly asleep when he deposited the blanket over her back, and Cadance was watching her surroundings with slowly drooping eyes. “Thank you, my dear friends. I cannot tell you how grateful I am to have ponies like you keeping such good care of me. Even after I’ve… after everything has changed so much.” She offered a bittersweet smile, gazing sightlessly around the room.

“Everything changes. The only thing in life that you can rely on is change,” Marshmallow murmured, clearly half-asleep, and she soon began snoring after that. Sonar Moonshadow smiled at the sentiment and laid down under the blanket fort with her and beckoned for Sapphire and Jelly to join them.

“I’m going to stay up a bit. Not quite tired yet,” Jelly whispered, and Cadance’s breath soon slowed to a steady rise and fall.

“Me either. We’ll keep watch in here while you guys sleep!” Sapphire claimed, obviously swallowing down a yawn as they spoke. Sonar paid the sound no mind as after just a few moments, Jelly and Sapphire were the last ones awake.

They sat awkwardly for a few moments before Sapphire cleared their throat. “So, um, I have a question, and I don’t know if you’ll have the answer.” Jelly simply blinked at them expectantly. “Well… If the heart exploded in the town square… How did it end up in the castle?”

“I brought it inside, obviously,” She hissed out in response before immediately reeling it in. “Sorry. You couldn’t have known that. I brought it in, just in case some… I don’t know, collectors came through. That’s why I kept a piece, just in case anyone tried anything bad.” She looked away nervously. “I shouldn’t have been angry with you when we met, and I’ve realized that now. I’m sorry for starting off on the wrong hoof, but I’m really glad to have you.” Jelly Splash smiled gently at Sapphire, who felt their heart beat a bit faster at the rare moment of kindness.

“I’m glad to have you too, Jelly. I would’ve been scared like you were, you don’t have to be sorry,” Sapphire whispered and smiled back. They sat and listened to the snores and heavy breathing of the sleeping ponies for a long while before Jelly Splash spoke back up.

“It’s really weird to see her again. I’m glad she’s alive, but… God, it was hard to see Cadance like that. Really tough,” She looked down at her hooves. “She’s like… it’s embarrassing, but Cadance is like a mom to me. To all crystal ponies. Probably just my mommy issues, though. Sorry, that’s a lot.”

Sapphire shook their head. “Don’t apologize. Do you want to tell me about it? We’ve got all the time in the world, you know.”

Jelly Splash looked like she was contemplating for a long time, opening and closing her mouth as if to find the words she was looking for. “My parents were really awful. I wish they died in the explosion instead of organ failure. Didn’t deserve the peace.”

Sapphire stifled a gasp. “Oh.” Was all they managed.

“Both of them drank too much, way too much. Crystal ponies are supposed to love everyone, but they clearly didn’t love Taffy Twists. Or me. I was raising him on my own by the time I was fifteen… they tried to kick me out, but I wasn’t leaving without Taffy. So they kicked both of us out instead,” She whispered, avoiding eye contact. “So then, it was us. It was pretty nice for a good while, hardest thing I’ve ever done, but it sure was nice to have just the two of us. Even found a nice cottage that I could afford.”

“I’m sure it was nice. It’s really amazing that you stepped up like that!” Sapphire touched a hoof to the unicorn’s for support as she continued.

“I was eighteen when they died. Twenty when the explosion happened. I don’t care how bad it is, but they really didn’t deserve the peace of hospice. They were the only ponies to make me feel bad about being a blank flank, gave me the first punch I ever took. I can’t say I wasn’t gratified when they drank themselves to death within a month of each other, but… Taffy didn’t deserve to die like that, they did.” She looked ashamed.

“You’re right,” Sapphire affirmed to her surprise. “Taffy Twists didn’t deserve that. And nopony should ever put a hoof on their daughter. You know, I’m so lucky to have the family that I do, and if you knew my mom, she would have taken you two in like her own. I’m really sorry you had to deal with that, and I hope you can move on one day.”

Jelly looked to Sapphire sweetly. “Tell me about your mom. Your family.”

“Well… she’s really great. I miss her a lot. She hasn’t passed, but she’s still back in Ponyville where I live. It’s kind of a funny story.”


Honeybee Blossom looked down at her child in the hospital’s nursery. The baby was beautiful, truly, and she only wished that the father could’ve seen them. She was admittedly a bit scared after the last ultrasound appointment, as the doctors were unable to determine the sex of the baby. At the baby’s birth, she had found them to simply be sexless. It wasn’t too much of a medical mystery – sure, it would’ve been in earlier times, but she had a friend in high school who was genderless, and a best friend with a genderless sibling. It happened occasionally from a rare genetic defect – no, a rare genetic blessing, she thought, – but all she cared about was that her baby was breathing and happy.

After a few months at home, Sapphire Swirl was sitting up on their own, and Honeybee was ecstatic. They sat up and waved their hooves around, giggling at nothing but their mother, and Honeybee’s heart absolutely melted at the sight and the sound of laughter filling her ears.

Another few months went by, and Sappie had managed to utter a “mama.” To this day, she still remembers it as the best day of her life. Sapphire had been playing on the carpeted living room and was trying to show their mother something silly like clapping, and when the word came out, Honeybee squealed in joy.

“That’s right! I’m your mama! Dear Celestia, I can’t believe it!” She scooped up the baby in her arms and danced excitedly for a while before a pang of bitterness stabbed through her chest – Silver Strike should be seeing this. He should be seeing all of it, but he disappeared without even the decency of a letter after discovering Honeybee Blossom’s pregnancy. She placed the baby back down and pushed the thought out of her mind, showing young Sappie how to play with their new toys instead.

As a young child, Sapphire was a great student. Their aunts and uncles had picked up the slack of parenting, and with a little encouragement, they were at the top of every class. Honeybee was so proud.

One day, as a teenaged event planner, an occupation that was incredibly fitting for the charismatic young pony, Sapphire was running late. It wasn’t uncommon for them to be late, as sometimes it was simply too hard to get out of bed when they needed to. As they rushed through Ponyville, saddlebags a bit too full of miscellaneous party materials, they looked away for a moment too long before smacking face-first into another pony. “Oop! I’m so super sorry, that was my fault!” They stammered at the red pegasus, and they immediately noticed that she shared the genetic two-toned eyes that they did.

“It’s okay! Do you need help?” She offered, and Sapphire only then realized that their party materials had fallen everywhere onto the cobblestone path. “Are you heading somewhere close? I’ll help you carry!”

“Sure! I’m headed just down this block, to the old Cake bakery. Thank you so much!” They beamed. “I’m Sapphire Swirl, by the way. If you’re ever planning an event, I’ll lend a hoof for free!”

“Fire Bolt. Nice to meet you! I’m not an event gal, but I really appreciate it!” She smiled, packing a little over half of the items into her own bags before turning and leading the way.

After the night that Fire Bolt watched the Cake’s party from a corner of the room, the two were inseparable. Every grocery store visit, every irresponsible party, every walk around the town, and even at their high school graduation, they were practically glued together. Best friends at first sight, as they called it, and their personalities simply clicked together in a way that never caused a disagreement.

It was a long while before Fire Bolt opened up about her loneliness in Ponyville, and how Sapphire was her only friend, as she’d left her remaining family behind. “I just feel so helpless sometimes,” She’d said through her tears. “I want a family like yours, like how you talk about them.”

The very same day, Sapphire took her home to a family reunion to help ease the pain. “My family will love you, Bolt. My family is yours now, okay?” They’d assured her before they stepped inside. It was true, every aunt, uncle, and cousin had adored the red pegasus, but Fire Bolt had felt out of place the entire time. After a while of socializing and fake-smiling, she excused herself to Sapphire’s bedroom for a moment of peace before noticing a photograph under the bed’s pillow that made her stomach drop.

Silver Strike, her dad, a photograph of her own dead father was in her best friend’s room. The sight made her sick. She’d stormed out of the room in search of her friend, confused and heartbroken, only to hear an even more sickening response from the pony at her accusation. “Why do you have this? Why do you have this picture?” She’d hissed under her breath, shoving the photograph into Sapphire’s chest.

“Huh? Oh… that’s my dad. Never met him, though. Are you okay? What’s wrong?” Sapphire looked nervous.

“That’s my dad! What kind of fucked up joke is this?” She snapped, stunning the packed room to a near silence.

“Silver Strike?” Honeybee Blossom whispered, tears in her eyes. “Silver Strike is your father?”

Bolt realized that she was quietly crying now, too. “…What? Of course he is. That’s my papa.”

Suddenly, the single orange eye on the red pegasus and her familiar smile looked all too reminiscent. Everything slowly clicked into place as tears streamed down Honeybee’s face. “Silver Strike is Sapphire’s dad. He left us before they were born.”

The confirmation made the room fall into complete silence. “You’re my sister?” Sap asked, hope prevalent in their tone. “I have a sister?”

Bolt was now sobbing, embarrassed that everyone was looking at her from her outburst. “You’re my sibling.”

They stood weeping for a moment, staring at each other as nopony spoke, and Bolt was confused – after her sister died, she felt entirely alone, and here in front her was a whole new sibling. “He died,” She choked out, making Sapphire crumble to the floor. “He cheated on my mom and he died.” All she ever knew about his death was the apology letter issued from the Wonderbolts and nothing more. She never got closure, she never knew how he died, but Sapphire didn’t even know him at all.

“I never–” Sapphire hiccuped. “I never got to meet him!” They cried.

Fire Bolt, overcome by a new sense of belonging accompanied by guilt, pulled them into a hug. “I know, Sap, I know.”

Slowly, aunts, uncles, cousins, and even grandparents surrounded the two in an embrace, suddenly somber. “You’re home now, Fire Bolt,” Said a voice that she didn’t know the name of.

“You’re our family. We’ll always be your family,” Said another.


Jelly Splash sucked in a breath as she tried to cry silently. “That’s beautiful, Sapphire,” She choked out. “That’s really… wow.”

Sapphire only noticed their own tears falling as they hit their hooves before they spoke. “I don’t know about all of that, but–” Jelly Splash suddenly yanked the pegasus into a tight embrace.

“That must’ve been so hard for you,” Jelly murmured, muffled by Sapphire’s mane. “That’s really sweet.”

“Aw jeez, thanks, Jelly,” Sapphire felt a bit awkward at the sudden display of affection, but they weren’t rejecting it as they hugged the unicorn back. “That’s really kind of you.”

Jelly Splash pulled away partially, keeping the pegasus close as she spoke, looking into Sapphire's eyes with genuine compassion. "You've been through so much, and yet you're one of the most courageous ponies I've ever met. I can't imagine what it was like for you to discover all of that about your family."

Sapphire Swirl gave a bittersweet smile, wiping away a tear with a hoof. "Yeah, it was a shock. But finding Fire Bolt, discovering I have a sister… it's been amazing to be together. And now, being here with you all… helping Cadance and bringing back the Crystal Empire, it feels like a second chance at family."

Jelly Splash nodded, her eyes reflecting a new sense of understanding. "I think… family is more than just blood. It's about the bonds we create and the love we share. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that, but I'm grateful you found a new family in us. And I’m grateful I’ve found a family in you.”

As the two ponies sat in the dimly moonlit room, the weight of their shared stories lingering in the air, Jelly Splash felt a renewed connection with Sapphire Swirl. In that vulnerable moment, a deep understanding passed between them, and Sapphire sighed out a breath that they’d been holding. "Thank you, Jelly. I never really talked about this with anypony other than Sonar before. It means a lot that you're here, listening."

Jelly Splash smiled warmly. As the endless night pressed on, the two continued their quiet conversation, sharing stories that had shaped them into the ponies they were now; good stories, heartbreaking stories, and back to funny ones. Jelly opened up even more about her painful past, about the emptiness left by her seemingly evil family. The vulnerability she displayed in recounting her past brought out a protective instinct in Sapphire, who listened intently as Jelly recounted a particularly horrific experience with her parents.

"I'm so sorry, Jelly," Sapphire said softly, brushing a comforting hoof against Jelly's. "Nopony should ever have to go through what you've been through. But you're not alone anymore, truly. I’m here for you."

Jelly Splash looked at Sapphire, her eyes reflecting a mixture of gratitude and admiration. "Thanks, Sapphire. It means more than you know. I never thought I'd find ponies who cared about me." She shyly looked away. “Especially after being left alone in the Empire. It felt like a punishment.”

Sapphire smiled, a warmth radiating from deep in their chest. "Well, you've found us now, and we care a lot. You're not alone, Jelly. We're a family, and I… I care about you."

Jelly felt a flutter in her chest, a sensation she hadn't experienced in a long time, if ever. Sapphire's genuine concern and kindness touched a part of her that she had closed off for years, even before the Nightfall. As they continued to talk, an unspoken understanding grew between them, a connection that went beyond their friendship.

As the fatigue of the travel and emotionally taxing events of the past few hours took their toll, Jelly Splash found herself leaning into Sapphire Swirl, her head resting against the pegasus's shoulder. Sapphire, without hesitation, wrapped a wing around Jelly, creating a blanket of warmth for the unicorn. In that quiet moment, surrounded by the soft snores of their friends and the gentle hum of the Crystal Heart from floors away, they discovered a warmth in each other's company.

"I care about you too, Sapphire," Jelly whispered, her voice barely audible and full of sleepiness but filled with sincerity.

Sapphire Swirl's heart skipped a beat, and they nuzzled Jelly's mane. "We'll take care of each other, Jelly. I’ll take care of you.” They found themselves nodding off as well.

Jelly Splash slept under Sapphire’s wing for seven hours straight, a feat that she hadn’t been able to accomplish in many, many years.