• Published 28th Sep 2012
  • 557 Views, 12 Comments

Hearts ablaze - Fuster Cluck



Luna is without a friend in the world. That is until one day she runs into somepony.

  • ...
3
 12
 557

Chapter 2

Luna took a few steps back, the red alicorn followed, tilting its head slightly. They just stood there for what seemed like an eternity, staring at each other. Luna looked over him. He seemed... familiar, but she couldn't quite tell from where. Cautiously she took a step towards him.

"Who- who are you?".

The red alicorn adjusted his gaze a bit then spoke "My name is Blaze, and you are?". Blaze... the name seemed familiar.

"Luna, what are you doing out here, and at this hour?".

"I have lived out here nearly all my life." Blaze responded "And I only come out at night".

"Why?" Luna asked.

"Fire is best seen at night" he responded. No, it couldn't be... Luna thought as the memories came flooding back.

Luna remembered to when there were other alicorns, each one standing for something in nature. Then she remembered her best friend, a red alicorn... Blaze. They did everything together, tag, hide and seek, practicing magic and flying and even chores. Other ponies would always comment on how cute they were together, the most popular of these comments being "Fire is best seen at night". Then the other alicorns left, and she assumed he went with them.

Luna slowly approached him "Blaze...".

"Its been a long time, Luna", Luna pulled him into a tight embrace.

"I missed you so much" she sobbed with tears streaking down her face. Blaze returned the hug

"Me too". Luna pulled away. "What happened", Blaze sighed.

"My brother... Spark. He invented electricity, light bulbs, electric stoves and ovens. See, fire is not like the sun or the moon, its living. It breathes, it eats and most of all... it hates. Fire used to be a symbol of life and warmth. It kept our homes lit, kept us warm and cooked our food. But electricity replaced all that and fire became our play thing. Fireworks bon fires, birthday candles, you name it. Fire wasn't handled with respect any more, for it wasn't part of our day to day lives. And fire made them pay, it destroyed their homes and killed their families, and who did you think was blamed for their faults? Fires name became tainted, it was no longer life, it was destruction. And with fires name tainted, so was mine. They cast me out, shunned me, labelled me 'evil', some even tried to kill me. So I ran, ran and never came back".

"I'm so sorry" she said, "but could at least have visited me at the castle".

"Just because you're forgotten, doesn't mean your forgiven" he replied.

The winter sun started to pierce the horizon and Luna felt a chill go up her spine. To tired to fly back to Canterlot, Luna asked.

"Is there a place I can sleep?"

Blaze showed her to a cave. He lit a fire and showed her to a double bed.

"I'll sleep on the ground" he said.

"Nonsense" Luna protested, "Its about time someone showed you some kindness".

Luna patted the bed right beside her. He climbed in beside her and instantly fell asleep. He instinctively wrapped his forelegs around her. She smiled and fell asleep in her friends arms.