• Published 22nd Sep 2023
  • 144 Views, 0 Comments

Leaves- An Anthology - FrostTheWolf



Three Narrators twist together tales from across the numerous branches of the multiverse.

  • ...
2
 0
 144

Leaf 07- Holiday

Author's Note:

Needing a change of scenery, a certain draconequus decides that it would be best to have a small vacation to himself. However, where he happens to go, chaos still follows him… even unintentionally.


For this one, I wanted to try a couple of things. First, pay homage to what started this little collection of stories. And second, I wanted to do something involving Discord since he would probably be aware of the Archivist's existence and interact with them all the same.

Of course, there's a lot of things happening in Midst... and if you want the full story, then you should tune in for yourself.


[Crossover][Dark][Horror (Trust me, it's there for a reason)][Discord]

When it comes to sharing stories, there always appears to be a certain level of ‘expectations’ that go along with each tale that we tell.

Each time a new chapter is posted, it keeps anyone that reads it guessing. Wondering things such as ‘who the characters might be’ or ‘what is the story about this time’? Kind of like with every best selling author whenever they decide to publish a new book or series.

Sound familiar?

To cut to the chase on one of those questions, let’s bring ourselves into focus on a particularly noticeable individual. Many in Equestria would recognize who he is immediately, whether it be by titles or by his appearance alone. His long body being the host to a variety of different limbs and pieces as if they were plucked off various animals and forming a chaotic amalgamation that is commonly called a draconequus.

This is Discord… and unlike many of the characters in the other stories we’ve shared, he knows we’re talking about him. He knows every remark we make, every description we give and so on. In fact, he’s pretty much the only one that knows we exist as well as what our purpose is.

If that purpose was, as he would call it, ‘Loki, Sheogorath and Tzeentch trying to share a story’.

The only reason why he isn’t trying to interrupt us right now to say hello or provide his own commentary is because his mind is focused on something else entirely. You see, over the last few months, he had been busy trying to make sure that a certain young princess was able to succeed her mentors. Now that the last trio of villains had been encased in stone, and he had been awarded as an honorary hero to Equestria, he now felt it was the time to do something he had not done in years.

A proper vacation.

And no, despite popular belief, he told us the trip that he went with two princesses did not count.

I mean, that was hardly a trip at all. Not to mention I was feeling blue. Quite literally as a matter of fact.

Oh right. I almost forgot. He could talk to us. That’s a thing he could do.

Oh, you wound me. Though, don’t let that stop the three of you from spinning this grand tale of yours. Just imagine that I’m not even here.

You know, we can save the questions for later. His bags are packed and he is ready to go. He even leaves a note for Fluttershy in the cottage for where his whereabouts are going to be for the next couple of days. He also has a passport apparently, which doesn’t seem like that much of a big deal, but it makes you wonder who was brave enough in the first place to get his picture taken?

He also has a rather inconceivably long list. A list of what is something that even we don’t know… and is probably not going to share.

Now why would I? It would just make things more boring if you knew everything I was up to, wouldn’t you think? Though, if it does help settle your mind at ease, there is one particular place I want to visit first.

Oh, that’s… a first. We don’t usually get asked to come along to such things.

What place did you have in mind?

Well, there was a place in the author’s description of your little anthology that sounded intriguing. So, I thought I would take a quick peak there first before going anywhere.

Wait… you don’t mean-?

Well, of course, he says, snapping a talon and opening up a dimensional tear. Bags under one arm and list in the other.

We’re going to check out this Midst place.


In the far reaches of the tree we tend to, the place where Discord is going for his little siesta is not too well known by the average reader. So, per our role as the Archivists, we will do our best to describe this place for you. Because much like our chaotic friend, there is a lot here that doesn’t make sense… and trying to make sense would lack any fun.

This islet of Midst is a place that’s floating in what could best be described as right in the middle between a bed of light… and a sea of nightmare fuel. The locals call these forces The Un and The Fold, and from what we know, it sort of is responsible for multiple things.

You know, things like Day and Night. Light and Darkness… Tearrors. Oh, we didn’t mention that part, did we?

I believe you were getting to that point, but don’t let me distract you.

Fold Tearrors are abnormal circumstances that happen on Midst and, if you happen to be an unlucky person who happened to witness or survive one, abnormal effects can happen. One day, you may wake up to find that your mouth is upside down or that you can float for some reason.

Of course, it rarely goes like that. Most of the time, the effects of Tearrors can end up being way worse than simply that. But going into detail would kind of derail this story. After all, it’s supposed to be a vacation. No dramatic left turns into survival horror here.

At least, for the meantime.

What was that-?

Nope! Nothing to see here. Just… carry on.

Considering what we just told you, it’s no wonder that our friendly neighborhood draconequus decided to come here. Midst, and by that extension the town of Stationary Hill, bears a lot of similarities to that of the town of Ponyville in a few different ways. Perhaps almost too similar, in some regard.

I mean, if you take into account all the people here and how strange occurrences just so often happen every other week, it kind of fits?

Let’s be clear on one thing, unlike Equestria, this town is pretty much the nucleus of all strange things here. This is the only town for miles outside of the ports for the different ships and vessels come in rarely. Yet, unlike other places, people don’t really care that much about what’s going on around them.

And it’s for that reason that Discord is confidently sitting on a beach chair with a tall glass of chocolate milk, high up above the town and looking down on its residents. He doesn’t even go to the effort of putting on a disguise either.

I mean, would anyone even go looking around up here? I haven’t even seen any-

The exact moment that our confident chaotic friend says that, a giant golden ship breaks into Midst’s upper atmosphere. There isn’t really much to describe it, for it looks like a giant flying triangle, but the fact that it just suddenly arrived was enough for everyone in town to stop what they’re doing.

Seriously? I thought they’d be used to this kind of thing. This whole place is practically a space western.

Oh, they’re used to ships coming in and out. But most of the time, they’re either trading vessels or passenger ships. And neither of them looked like this.

You mean looking like an intergalactic version of one of Celestia’s chariots?

Well, the symbolism is there. It’s just not what you might think. It's something that only a few people really know about here and less people from this town are a part of.

… That’s rather vague. Are you sure there’s nothing else you can tell me?

We could, but we also know how you get bored rather easily when somepony goes into a lengthy explanation on subjects. Remember when Celestia made you sit through a lecture on how the Equestrian Tax System works?

Ugh, fine. Keep your secrets then. The draconequus said, rolling his eyes at us before downing the rest of his glass of milk. Though, perhaps because he was unamused by what we just said to him, he decided to take matters into his own paws, so to speak.

In a snap, the drink glass began to morph and change into a different shape. A tricorn hat suddenly appears on his head as what could be only described as a rough looking spyglass takes form in his claw as he begins to peek through it. Angling the spyglass towards the ship that landed.

From what he, and by extension we could see, several soldiers started to make their way out of the ship and line up in orderly fashion. Many of them wore dark clad armor with a mark in the middle that was of the same shape of the ship they emerged from. A bunch of them were carrying cases with them, possibly to store equipment and the like.

Out of everyone here, two figures immediately stood out from the rest. The first was a man with glistening golden armor, a jagged crystalline shoulder pad on one side and just from a single look, you can tell that he emits self confidence. He stands proudly, has a smile on his face and acts very humble around those he meets.

The guy next to him, on the other hand, is the exact opposite. Despite trying to be somewhat of a mirror image to the first guy, he looks like he has a lot of issues going on inside his head that haven’t quite been fully straightened out yet. He has a similar getup in his appearance, but the gold had been replaced with blues and silvers. He also carries what could only be described as a rather decorative crystalline mace.

So, this guy’s like a sidekick?

More or less. Officially, he’s the right hand man of the golden guy that’s his mentor. He’s eager to prove himself, but there’s a lot more going on under the surface.

Mainly, it’s desperation. Midst gives him an opportunity to try and prove himself. Take his teacher’s advice to heart. Yet, the only question is how exactly is he going to do that.

Intriguing. You know, normally I would ignore somepony that’s down on their luck, but I like this guy’s chances. Maybe we give him a bit of a confidence boost? But I can’t do it when people are listening. So have a page break on us!


By the time that the company had disembarked at the docks, many thoughts were going through the mind of one Phineas Thatch. As the Adsecla of the Trust and the right hand of the Consector Jonas Spahr, he knew that the eyes of the Trust were on him. He knew that with each word he said and each action he took, he represented not only the organization that took him in and raised him to be where he is today, but also those who he worked alongside for many years.

Which is why, some of the words from Jonas on the way here, still were a bit unsettling to hear from him directly.

Well, this IS that time, Phineas. This is your opportunity, and this is your last opportunity. Unfortunately, I have to serve you a warning.

To hear that his performance and everything he had been doing to be recognized for his deeds wasn’t enough was one thing. But to hear it from the man who was the one who helped him get to where he is now felt like getting punched in the gut.

Despite all his years of service to the Trust and his many assignments under Spahr’s wing, hearing that it still wasn’t enough to not only break even, but be recognized for his deeds was a bitter pill to swallow.

Though, as he finally had the chance to take in Midst and its surroundings, a new thought started to wash over him. The assignment that the Trust was here for was one thing… but if he really wanted to prove himself and go the extra mile, he should be proactive. He should make sure that if anyone in the Trust, especially a notary, needed something, that he should get right on it and see it through.

For the Trust rewards those who do good deeds and valorous acts. And maybe this assignment will help him become truly Valorous in the eyes of the Trust.


I think that would be enough.

Really? For you? I would think that with being a spirit of chaos, you would put on more of a spectacle.

Sometimes the subtle approach is enough. Besides, sometimes the people who have confidence issues just need a little push if you know what I mean.

A fair point. Though, whether or not that’s a good or bad thing remains to be seen.

In any case, we should see what else is going on around town. Better to leave those guys alone rather than follow them everywhere.

Aw, come on now. I like this spot. Unless you got something else that may be more entertaining, I would prefer to keep sightseeing.

Funny you mention that, because word on the street is that there is a special show taking place at the supper club here tonight. For a momentous, once in a lifetime occasion in fact.

Almost as if right on cue with what we’re telling him, a piece of paper flies up on the wind and lands not that far from our chaotic friend. At first glance, he thinks that it’s an advertisement for a mom and pop shop in Stationary Hill or some recruitment flier.

Actually, it’s neither of those things. Despite some wear and tear, the paper looks rather neat and the ink on it is freshly printed. The words on the page and its message are simple to make out, but cordial in appearance.

To summarize its message, the Black Candle Cabaret is holding a rather special show to celebrate its ninth anniversary and you are invited.

Well, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to visit. Might need to get a fancier pair of clothes, but it probably beats just sitting and waiting for things to happen anyways.

Well, you don’t really have to wait around for much longer. The Fold’s about to come in.

Wait, wha-?

Remember earlier how we mentioned that the Un and the Fold are like Day and Night? Well, we mean that in a literal sense. Even though Midst has a moon, night and day work much differently than on Equestria. There is nothing to raise or lower here. It doesn’t come slowly, but washes over everything as easily as someone pulling a curtain. And it’s by no means slow.

Time to get a move on, friend. Unless you want to find out what sort of things call the Fold their home.

… Well, aren’t you three just a clever bunch. Alright, fine, I'll play along.


At this hour, the Black Candle Cabaret is ready for its biggest show of the year.

A lot of work has gone into preparing the celebration happening tonight. The tables are set, the food and drinks at the bar are ready, the guests are starting to arrive just as the Fold is coming in. Everyone backstage is going through any final adjustments. Everything has been double and even triple checked to be ready for tonight.

Some of the guests immediately go to find an open seat in the auditorium. Others head straight for the bar first to get a drink before sitting down. One guy tries to get up the stairs to head to one of the offices on the second level, before immediately coming back down a bit disappointed.

It seemed like he wanted to talk about something important, but came by at the wrong time with everything else going on today.

As for our friend, Discord was able to cleverly hide himself among the crowd that was coming inside. Changing his form to look like a human was a rather simple task, along with repurposing an outfit previously used at the Grand Galloping Gala. Some size adjustments were needed, considering the change in form, but it wasn’t anything that made him uncomfortable, per se.

Unlike the other patrons here tonight, he wasn’t able to find an open table to sit at just for himself. Sure, there were some open seats around, but he didn’t want to just show up and sit at any table. He didn’t really even know anyone else here.

So, like with any social event, the next best step is to sit at the bar and attempt small talk with the bartender. Still had some time to kill before the show starts anyways. And the bartender is a rather friendly guy. Looks to be about his fifties or so, has some facial hair to him and is rather humble. What was his name again?

It’s Sherman. It’s sewn right there on the apron he’s wearing.

Oh right, how did I not notice that?

“Here you go sir,” Sherman says, placing a delicate martini glass on the counter for our friend. The drink itself is a dark violet in color, with a small orange on a toothpick that’s floating in the center of the drink. It looks like a downscaled version of the very islet we’re on. Only that what’s supposed to be the Fold is more flavorful than what it actually is.

The moment it touches Discord’s lips, the immediate taste is… well, it’s hard to explain. It’s like a martini, but some of the flavor that’s in it is nearly impossible to describe. It’s citrus-sy, there’s berries, there is a hint of… lavender I think? Or is it grape? There’s so many things happening that it’s difficult to narrow it down to specifics.

Not like he really cares. Besides, strange things that don’t truly make sense are Discord’s forte. A drink with a strange taste is no different.

Well, that is a rather impressive beverage,” he compliments Sherman, messing with the little orange floating in the glass, “I’m curious, what was the name of this drink? I haven’t had something this… tantalizing in a long time.

“That’s a Midst-tini. Not quite what I would call it, but Saskia thought it was clever.”

Saskia? Is she a colleague?

That had the bartender raise an eyebrow as he started to clean another glass behind the counter. “She’s my boss. Have you not been to the Cabaret before, sir?”

I’m sort of visiting from out of town,” Discord replied. Even though we know that it’s a flat out lie, the way he says it with enough confidence can convince you of pretty much anything. “Heard the locals say that this was the best place to get a drink and relax a bit.

“Well, they’re not wrong there,” Sherman shrugged, before his gaze drifted past him and to the stage at the back of the auditorium, “Speaking of which, there she is right now.”

As our friend turns around, he sees a gorgeous looking woman in a remarkably beautiful ruby dress approach a microphone on stage. One of two microphones as she stands there and the crowd starts to go silent. They’re waiting patiently for something. Maybe she is preparing to say a few words?

Turns out, she was also waiting. For no less than a few minutes after she arrived on stage did a second person come up to the microphone that was adjacent to her. And he’s… very difficult to describe.

This person’s body is, based on first looks, very abnormal. Their skin looks akin to that of a marble white statue that Discord would find in Celestia’s own garden and light doesn’t really seem to really behave well with him. His eyes are an opalescent ivory and you cannot see any pupils. His fingers are long and spidery looking.

Okay, I just felt a shiver down my spine from looking at him. Does that happen often?

Before we could even answer that, Saskia brings herself to the microphone and begins to speak. “Ladies and Gentlemen, it is with great enthusiasm tonight that we are celebrating the ninth anniversary of the Black Candle Cabaret.”

She then pauses slightly and looks to the man next to her, “And also, it is the fourth year since Mister Weepe joined me as co-owner. The Black Candle would not be where it is today without his partnership.”

A round of applause echoes through the auditorium to both of them. From just scanning the room though, Discord could get a feeling that the people in the room were more familiar with Saskia than the man next to her. They don’t have any idea of what he’s like. You don’t really see him giving speeches in front of crowds like this.

And when he does, it’s less polite and more to the point.

“Hey everybody. Thanks for comin’ out tonight. Yeah, uh, it’s quite exciting to have this many years to our name,” he says in a raspy voice, pausing slightly to gather his thoughts on what to say for a brief moment, “Um… it’s been a pleasure working here with Ms. Del Norma for as long as I have. I’m really excited to see how the place has shaped up.”

Weepe then chuckles a bit as he turns his head a bit to Saskia, “But you don’t want to hear me talking. You’re here to have a good time and listen to some music. So! Alright, enough of you have been talking and Saskia finally pulled my leg enough and I’m going to do this damn thing, so, yeah.”

“I told you that I was going to work on him.” she chuckles, getting a small laugh from a few patrons here and there.

Both of them continued to talk for a short bit, saying things back and forth to one another before they started to sing for the crowd. A band comes out from backstage to provide instruments and music while the two owners of the cabaret were singing.

It’s not quite a perfect symphony, but it’s a unique one. Saskia’s voice is melodic and beautiful, while Weepe’s is darker and carries a bit of weight with it. It’s probably because of the tone of what they’re singing about, but we’ll leave that to interpretation.

This continues for a bit longer, but not too long as the song eventually comes to an end. There is a grand applause, a bow from both of the performers and a transition to some of the other performers that were waiting backstage.

Now, you would expect that at this point, the hosts of this event would stick around and do some social chit chat. However, as Discord finishes his drink, he's quick to notice that this ‘Weepe’ fellow makes a beeline for the stairs to the second floor of the building. He does acknowledge the few people that he passes by politely, but looks to be very much in a hurry.

Something is on his mind that needs to be dealt with immediately.

No sooner afterwards does another person get up out of his seat, grab what looks like a hefty folder of paperwork and bring it with them upstairs to follow him.

This, while seeming inconsequential, has caught Discord’s attention and also made him intrigued. He’s paying attention more to this than the show on stage and trying to devise some kind of way to reach up there.

As he looks down to his empty glass, that’s when an idea forms in his head to push him in the direction of where the two other gentlemen went. “Sherman, was it? Do you happen to know where the restrooms are?”

The bartender looks up, his eyes looking past him and to some of the doors in the back adjacent to the stage. “Well, normally, they’re next to the stage, but they look occupied at the moment,” he frowns, before heaving a sigh, “The second floor is normally reserved for staff, but if you’re desperate-”

Discord doesn’t need to hear anymore by this point as he rushes up the stairs, playing the act a little bit along the way. He doesn’t see Weepe or the folder guy on his way up, but he does see a light emitting from the bottom of one of the office doors in this dimly lit hallway. And there are only two office doors with what looks like nameplates aside them.

Quiet as a mouse in Canterlot Castle, he quietly snaps a finger as one of his eyes slides out of its socket. Hiding it behind a planter at the stairs just in case someone or something else comes up as he silently approaches the door. With each step, he starts to hear words echo from the other side.

The initial exchange between the two men left a lot to be desired. But as their conversation continues, the man that we saw on the stairway with the folder, says some things that start to make things interesting by showing his true colors behind closed doors.

This man, who is referred to simply as ‘Concord’, thought that tonight was the ideal night to blackmail Mister Weepe. He has all the evidence he needs to run this cabaret into the ground and make his life a living hell.

The problem though… is that Weepe doesn’t really give a shit about all of this. From the other side of the door, it sounds like none of these 'dramatic' reveals are really important to him. He even says that the evidence that this guy is presenting and his accusations are directed towards the wrong person. That, if this guy really wanted to talk about this, Saskia was the one to speak to and not him.

Boy, I don’t know any of what they’re talking about, but this looks tense.

And it’s about to get even worse. Discord, as a friend, you probably might want to leave unless you want to get traumatized.

I can’t even see what’s over there. Besides, it’s getting to the good part. Why would-?

From the other side of the door, a loud crack of glass echoes throughout the office as the light from under the door immediately goes out. From the corner of the only eye on him, the disguised draconequus can see the slivers of Fold around him react ravenously and quickly slip under the door like piranha going upstream.

There are very few things that scare our friend here. However, what transpires within the next few moments is the most gruesome and horrifying thing to listen to from the outside. Multiple things are happening at once in rapid succession that it’s difficult to narrow it down unless you’re in the room where this is happening.

A brief sound of movement from the other side, followed by the sparking noises of a broken lightbulb can be faintly heard. Sounds of melting substances, whether it be cloth or otherwise, as something large hits the floor and starts to crumble.

There is very little sounds of any struggle, but there is the ringing echo of agony as the sound of flesh and bone being twisted and torn in ways inhumanly possible rings in Discord’s ears. The sound of withering bones cracking under pressure can be heard as whatever was gagged on the floor is having its own body tear itself open and unmake itself.

Like it's own body was mutilating and killing itself.

By the time that the sounds had gone silent and the warm glow of light came from under the door again, our friend had heard enough and did not want to stick around for whoever was on the other side to open up and see him.

He’s not even listening to us. Whatever sense of curiosity he had before was immediately replaced with fear. Without a second thought, he puts his eye back where it was and heads down. Passing by a pair of dogs on the way down, thanking Sherman… and then proceeding to leave into the fold covered town of Stationary Hill and get out of dodge.

All the while, a long paper list is being burned away. Becoming nothing more than ashes flying on the wind.


It’s unfortunate, really. We wanted our friend to have a good time in a place that’s just as strange as he is. Except he forgot something very important.

Back home, the harmony of Equestria and those who live there make it to where Discord and his magic are a bit more controlled. However, out here on Midst, there is no such equivalent to this. Here, even if our friend has the best of intentions, chaos remains unchecked… and the effects of this power work both ways.

It can influence one person to have a confidence boost they never knew they had or, in the case of what just happened mere seconds ago, make someone try to push their luck a little too far.

While he did not stick around for too long, the effects of his power linger here like the presence of the Fold itself. For how long, we can’t really say. We aren’t even sure how long this will last.

But we all know that this is just the beginning of something that can’t be stopped.

On

Utterly

Doomed

Midst.