• Published 26th May 2023
  • 464 Views, 23 Comments

I Like You - TheKing2001



When Twilight tells her make friends for a dinner with the Princess, Starlight meets Trixie and the two hits it off. Twilight doesn't approve and angers Starlight.

  • ...
4
 23
 464

Chapter II

“Uh what are ya doin?” My eyes shot open and stared into concerned green eyes of Applejack. I stretched out my hooves and groaned. I accidentally fell asleep apparently in her orchard. In my defense, the grass the was comfy and the tree gave me some very good shade.

“Nothing. What about you?” I asked nervously. Hopefully Twilight didn’t tell the others about me having to go make friends.

“Harvestin’ apples. You’re turning into the unicorn version of Rainbow, sleeping in mah orchard and all. At least ya ain’t sleeping in mah trees,” Applejack smirked and sat down next me, tucking her legs under her. “Bit for your thoughts?”

“What?” I asked as she rolled an apple my way. “Thanks for the apple.” She placed a hoof on it before I could levitate it to my mouth. “Hey! I haven’t had breakfast yet.”

“Then ya better start talkin and tell me what’s goin on,” Applejack gave me a smug look. “Ah ain’t stupid. Ya got that look on yur face that says something is wrong.”

“Fine. Twilight wants me to make some more friends today to bring to some dinner with Princess Celestia,” I admitted. “But I’m fine with my friend group as is. Why change something that doesn’t need messed with. It’s like you always say. If it ain’t broke...”

“Don’t fix it,” Applejack finished for me.

“Exactly,” I sighed. “I just met a pony named Daisy. She seemed nice enough but didn’t really seem interested in being friends.”

“Well did ya give her a chance?” Applejack asked and I glared at her.

“What in the wide world of Equestria is that supposed to mean?” I demanded.

“It means ya sometimes run away from ponies before they can finish their sentence,” Applejack said bluntly.

“You don’t sugarcoat anything do you?” I sighed. I should have known that considering who I was talking to.

“Nope. Wait right here. Ah got a mare ya might like,” Applejack stood up and galloped off.

“Well that was fast. I’m going back to sleep,” I announced to nopony in particular. I tucked my legs back under myself and closed my eyes.

“Hey wake up.” I cracked an eye open at Applejack standing next to me with another mare. I opened the other eye and stood up.

“Hey what’s up?” I yawned and covered it with a hoof. The orange maned pony next to Applejack gave me a faint nervous smile which made me nervous. I don’t know why but ponies being nervous makes me nervous if that makes any sense.

“This is Junebug, the mare ah I told ya about. She’s very friendly,” Applejack smiled. “She’s also very shy and is mah cousin.” Is everypony in this town her cousin, what is going on?

“Hi. Nice to uh meet you,” I held out a hoof hopefully.

“H-hi,” Junebug stuttered as she shook my hoof carefully. “H-how are you?”

“Been better. How about yourself?” I’ve never met another pony with a stutter I don’t think. Kinda makes her unique.

“I-i’m doing good,” Junebug rubbed her mane and looked away. She and Fluttershy would get along great honestly. Both very shy mares.

“Ah’ll leave yall to get acquainted,” Applejack winked at us as she trotted off.

“Sooo. What do you like doing for fun?” I asked. I assumed that was the next step on the quest of making friends. When I was a foal, I just winged it and hoped for the best. That probably would explain why I only had Sunburst as a friend. I should really look into that in my free time.

“I-i find bugs, plant my flowers and rehome insects. You?” She asked. Now this was a topic I liked. Magic was my life. I loved anything related to magic.

“Magic. Anything magic related. It’s practically my life,” I grinned. “Scratch that, it is my life!”

“W-wait right here,” Junebug stuttered before trotting off. My ears flattened against my head. I assumed she was running off because I don’t know. “H-here.” She held out a bunch of flowers with a hopeful look. Maybe she could actually be my friend. That would be nice. Hopefully Princess Celestia didn’t care about stuttering mares being around her. If she did and was a bitch about it, my respect for her went to zero. I leaned forward and sniffed. They smelled....familiar. My eyes widened slightly in horror.

“Are these Bermuda Buttercups?” I asked in fear. Junebug gave a slow confused nod. “I’m allergic!” I gave a sneeze and the flowers went all over Junebugs mane and face. She gave me an unimpressed look and I rubbed the back of my head sheepishly. I didn’t know what to say so I resorted to the one word I could think of.

“Sorry?”

-------------------------------------------------------------

“Okay so Junebug is out. She seemed upset about that whole accident,” I mused to myself as I rubbed my red eyes. It was painful at first but it’s gone down now. I was getting some weird looks as I trotted to the fountain. Hopefully the smell of the water and the smell of the fresh air would help calm down my allergies. I wasn’t mad at Junebug, she couldn’t have known. Maybe once she gets over I accidentally sneezed the flowers all over her she will come around. She seemed like a nice mare from our very limited conversation. Maybe one day we can get to know each other a bit better. I’ll have to remember her occupation of collecting bugs and flowers. What the hell she does with the bugs, I have no clue. Only one way to find out. I’m just gonna give it a few months before I ask around where she lives or approach her in public. I took a slow breath. What if I make no friends? What if I’m lonely forever?

“Quit panicking Starlight. Quit panicking!” I shouted and everypony stared at me in confusion. I looked around in embarrassment did the only logical thing a pony could do in this situation: I ran. That was so embarrassing and I’ll never be able to live that down. Not until I die. Maybe not even after I die. I’ll have to move towns, change my name. Change my mane color and get married to a rich mare or stallion as a coverup. “You’re still panicking, Starlight. Breath in and breath out. Slowly.” I breathed in and out, counting the breaths I took. That slowly started to work and I calmed down.

“Need help making friends huh?” Rainbow asked as she rested on her cloud above me, peering down.

“Gah!” I screamed and looked around. “Don’t scare me like that again.” Rainbow rolled her eyes.

“If you’re done Twilighting, I got three ponies you could meet.”