• Published 5th Jun 2023
  • 1,392 Views, 114 Comments

Dawn Adopted - Idyll



An older Cozy Glow helps an orphan filly escape Kludgetown.

  • ...
3
 114
 1,392

(Filler Chapter)

Author's Note:

I was writing the next chapter (written ~6000 words so far) and wanted to write a short example for some point (After the phrase "pressed for comments" next chapter) but it went on for too long. If this is poorly written/has more typos than usual it's because I really want to get this posted already (Haven't sent it to my proofreader yet, sorry Ep0na) and I'm tired/busy. But I'm still really invested in this story!

Seven months ago on a wet summer night:

Cozy was lying across the couch, playing through all the available jingles in her brand-new flip phone in pursuit of a ringtone to match her style. The majority came with the device, but a few of the longer ones were installed via cable by her daughter. She offered to “set everything up” using the computer Cozy bought for her: “The stupidest decision I ever made,” she would very publicly voice. Luster’s cheek hadn’t reached the height of the present day, so Cozy was spared only a locked door and hours of silence when she asked her to get off the dammed thing: annoying, but better than being the victim of whatever spell she happened to learn surfing the web. The songs she installed were pirated from those shores. And now that one act of kindness will be used as a defense of that Pandora’s box—Cozy knew.

She was about to push herself off the sofa and to her bed—at 9 PM—before her phone rang. The call was announced by a heavy-metal song called, “Howls of a Fallen Filly.” It was what Luster used to demonstrate how to change a ringtone. Cozy wasn’t sure her daughter believed her when she said that they had technology in her days and that she knew how to use a phone. To be fair, her birthday and age were off by ten years. But she still had the foalhood that a mother now raising a pre-teen would’ve experienced, minus anything outside of school or proper friends—not those traitors; they don’t count for anything. The lyrics were a play of her months in Tartarus, although it suffered from many inaccuracies, from the title implying she ever howled, or the allusion to Tirek being the one pulling her strings when they were penning each other letters.

He’d be fuming by ears if he ever got a load of this… Cozy smiled and frowned. She considered writing a few of her suggestions to the band—what they did wrong and what they did… She wasn’t really a fan of the musical aspect.

She answered the call. An old stallion spoke from the other side of the line. It was a cop, and not just a cop, but the sheriff of the village.

The stallion told her his name, his position, and why he was— “Sorry, I didn’t really catch that,” Cozy said. “Can you please say that again, preferably spell it out? Please?”

After fulfilling her odd request and niceties were out of the way, he asked, “You’re the guardian of a ‘Luster Dawn,’ correct?”

Cozy replied, “Yes.”

As the sheriff went on, Cozy left wing gradually placed her fountain pen on its side and crept upwards to pinch the bridge of her muzzle. And the sheriff kept on going. And Cozy wingtip suffused to blanket her whole face and pull her eyelids down towards what little exceptions she had remaining.

“Did you get all that?” asked the sheriff.

“Yeah,” Cozy responded, dead. “Sorry, it’s just—ugh.”

“I understand ma’am,” he said. “Perhaps you’re interested in a ‘how to control your foal’ course? It’s run by my brother. Wonderful guy! He has a degree in family counseling.”

“Uh-huh…” Cozy’s wing returned to the pen. “What’s his name, and where does he live? Letter by letter, pretty please?”


Cozy spotted Luster before she even entered the station. She was on a foldable chair behind the counter where a receptionist sat between calls. When the filly saw who entered the building, her head went back to being enchanted by the tiled floor.

The sheriff would eventually come out of his office and offer to shake Cozy’s hoof.

Her face looked contorted. Her words were very stern: “I can’t believe she’s done this,” “It’s just ridiculous,” “I’ll have to teach her a proper lesson when she gets back!” “Well, perhaps I’ve been going a bit too soft on her.” Luster was seated right next to her. The officer beyond the desk nearly reached out to pat the mare’s shoulder. After giving his personal advice, to which Cozy would nod, he allowed the duo to leave. The phone call was now an hour ago. Cozy, using the power of words to detain the office’s better judgment, managed to talk down Luster’s punishment from a Sunday of community service, what River Song got, to a whole week. This was to: “spare her the guilt.”

They left the building to humid air. Darkness and clever tricks called “keeping quiet” and “looking away” helped Luster hide her bloodshot eyes. But those were only from tears.

She wanted to wait until her mother calmed down before opening her mouth, which would probably be after the final day of community service. But Luster couldn’t help but notice her mother had taken a wrong turn leading opposite to the direction of their house.

“...You know where you’re going?” Luster asked

Cozy continued walking, ignoring her daughter’s question. Instead, she asked her own. “Vandalism?”

Luster should’ve kept her mouth shut. “I only really watched. It’s River Song’s Ponish teacher. He’s a huge jerk! Apparently.”

“Only watched? You stole the toilet paper from our bathroom,” Cozy said.

The ground transitioned from peddled roads to wooden planks to a dirt path formed by earth-pony trampling. The creature who had wings used hers, whilst the one who could command reality to do her bidding decided to abstain from spells. She wanted to appear less arrogant for now, so she bared through the occasional rock or root poking out of the dark.

“Sorry,” Luster apologized, stumbling. Her eyes weren’t as sharp as her mother's.

Unbeknownst to her, Cozy wasn’t holding a furrow. Her face had turned indifferent once they left the sight of other creatures. But she felt disappointed. So she asked Luster what had bugged her since she got the call. “How in Equestria did you get caught? Can’t you teleport?”

“…River got caught first.”

“Do I need to state the obvious? You teleport to our kitchen to grab mayo whenever they run out to restaurants. You teleport to the supermarket whenever you’re hungry for free samples. When it started to come down on our trip to the seaside, you teleported me, River, and Autumn—”

“Alright, I get it,” Luster groaned. “They saw our faces so, and I thought somepony had my back since she’s in no place to judge.” The filly realized what she had just done: validated Cozy’s fear.

“Rely on me? Honey, you’re nearly a teenager. Most parents don’t give their foals as much liberty as I give you. And we both know what it’s like not having a lap to lie on. If you want to keep your freedom, you’ll have to learn to handle situations on your own. That doesn’t mean you can’t ask me for help, but it does mean you should know how to get yourself out of a simple pickle.” She turned around but kept flying in the same direction. “Unless you want to be treated like a drone?” She shrugged. “They don’t see that much sunlight, and trust me, I know. Those first years since becoming unfrozen were… not filled with the skies I had longed for.”

“How often did you see the Sun?” Luster asked.

“...More often than I did under Celestia and Luna’s arrangements, that’s for sure. Those two love hogging everything for themselves,” Cozy answered. “When I first snuck out to watch the sunset over the clouds, despite my bounty, and all creatures who work without rest to see me suffer… I felt free.”

“Must’ve been nice.”

“…Sometimes I wonder if you know much of the world there is. Also, I never got caught. At least not by cops.”

The trail of hoots, crickets, and the wind’s hum through the trees followed the duo up until they reached the other side of the hill. From there, they could spot the lights of Vanhoover’s skyline. The city was where Luster got her Swamp Fever shots and went to for the odd lunch.

Pegasi loved to travel! Hovering was less tiring compared to walking; A dash, less than a gallop. Luster could expect her mother to sneak out after lunch each day to catch her favorite ice cream truck—in Ponyville. And she’d be back on the couch before whatever garbage reality TV show they were watching finished playing. Whilst teleportation was infinitely quick, it was exhausting, and, outside of short jumps and emergencies, the train still served as the preferred mode of travel for most unicorns. Even Luster, who could teleport up to the peak of the nearby Unicorn Ranges whenever she got too sweaty during summer, had a cooldown. If she teleports to Canterlot in the morning, then the earliest she’d be back would be early afternoon—via the train. Otherwise, she’ll be lifting her fork with her mouth for the next twenty-four hours.

Sitting on a log behind her mother, Luster yawned. Cozy hovered, admiring the view.

“What are we doing here?” Luster asked.

“...If you were so big I’d carry you to where we were doing,” Cozy said. Her words meant less that she was physically incapable; more so, she didn’t want to embarrass her daughter in front of the fireflies. Without any elaboration, she flew forward, glided down the hill, and redirected her momentum upwards into the dark.

Through the habits she developed living with Cozy—adaptations to which she wasn’t taught—Luster shot a tracking spell on her mother. Managing to strike her back, Butter’s body made a single pulsation of orange, syncing with Luster’s horn.

There wasn’t a building for miles where she was heading. Just to eliminate a small, optimistic possibility, Luster waited for Cozy to return. She lit up her horn and stood up.

Ten minutes have passed. She should probably get to looking. Throughout this time, a few dot-sized bugs hopped onto her body. Sluggish by her worry, Luster only used her legs or tail to flick off the intruders. But as she moved, she felt something. There was something on her cutie mark. She creaked her neck backwards; and she saw in her light: a tarantula. Now, filly Cozy would’ve told her to kill that thing with fire. But older Cozy, having grown comfortable about bugs, would’ve said that there was nothing to be scared of. After all, the filly was practically a mage. Luster Dawn carried the same oomph as a mute pulling a minigun out from under their trench coat.

Bucking the air like an angry bull, Luster forgot where in her head she placed that pesticide spell. So, she went back to the basics. An aura-made welder’s mask appeared over her head and wore itself. Whirlwinds of fire ensnared her horn, and from that hellstorm shot a laser of thermal energy, white at the point of conjuration. She nearly burnt her flank, despite the thermal protection spell she had placed on herself prior.

The spider was now a liquid. Its grave was a yak-sized patch of dust. What was a grassy, flower-filled meadow was now a field of brittle spikes, crumbling into ash, whose surfaces contained veins of a fire, and whose molten rivers flowed from a pillow-sized rock. Nothing survived, and to make sure her flames don’t cause more destruction—and get her into trouble!—Luster froze the patch under a mound of snow.

The tracking spell worked by pulling her horn towards her target object. It took six jumps from the hill to find Cozy. Each time, she’d let her horn be pulled almost magnetically, and she’d use the strength and direction to guess where her mother was. The closer she was, the stronger the pull. She shot the last jump a kilometer too far. So, she readjusted her aim.

Luster’s horn was beating from exhaustion. She only traveled seven miles, but the energy needed to perform a teleport followed an S-curve. An initial amount of power was needed just for the spell to work at all. Splitting her jumps at this distance was inefficient.

On one side of Luster was a wall blocking light. On the other: a hill leading to the forest where she had started. She looked around but failed to spot her mother.

Luster reckoned she should use her tracking spell again. The strength of the spell took her off guard. She lost her posture. Her horn dragged her hooves across the dirt. Cozy was really close. Not a second later, Luster found her target.

A piece of metal fell on the steps of a raised door. Every fiber of Cozy’s body halted. Her elbows were at the angel, suspended, and her breathing had stopped.

Luster’s pupils moved upwards. Two red glints behind reflections of white looked back. Those slowly squinted and over the course of a moment closed.

Luster realized she still hadn’t removed her horn from Cozy’s hip. Immediately, She pushed herself back, accidentally kicking her mother’s hind hoof. The sensitive endings of her horn felt a drop of liquid form a cool trail down to her forehead.

Cozy inhaled. “Hi honey,” she said in a high-pitched voice.

Luster was taught a healing spell; she couldn’t remember how to cast it. Hope’s teaching used too many technical words for basic things. She couldn’t just call it: “healing skin;” she had to say: “thaumaturgical epithelialization.” Oh, but there were many other processes that needed to be done for proper healing, such as wound assessment and aftercare. And, of course, if the client is Cozy, a modest fee.

The mare used the wall as support to drag herself back up vertically, but only after laying on the ground for five minutes. She cried only two or three tears and only bled the same amount. The wound wasn’t bad, but Luster’s magic stung her pain receptors, and it wasn’t as if she cared about her body enough to ever file the tip of her horn.

A wing reached out to the door handle. She opened it, blinding Luster, whose eyes only just adapted to the shadows, and stumbled inside. Luster had hurt her mother both physically and mentally today, and what could she have done to deserve it? She didn’t question where she was going until her tail was already past the door’s frame. Once inside, Cozy quietly shut the door and sat on one of the many crates inside of the room.

“You okay, Mom?” Luster asked.

Cozy, on her hooves, answered, “I’m fine.”

“…Sorry about stabbing you.”

“Honestly, I thought you would’ve gone home,” Cozy said. “I mean, I didn’t even tell you where we were breaking into. Nice job, sweetie!”

“Thanks, I—wait. D-did you say ‘break in?’” Luster’s eyes shank.

“Well, duh! Why else would I have these lock picks?” Cozy said, displaying the lighter underside of her right wing. There, she carried her lock picks by hooking it through a band tied over her coverts.

“What would you do this?”

“For a lesson, of course? Gosh, you must be tired! Funny, it’s not even three AM yet.” Cozy smirked.

“A lesson?” Luster repeated. “Who are you? Discord?”

“Shush! I told you not to ever say his name,” Cozy scolded.

Luster pulled an abandoned pocket mirror from the side of the exit door’s base and gazed at it. “Discord, Discord, Discord. Can you please get me out of this mess?”

“Honey! That isn’t funny!” Cozy nearly shouted, swiping one of her wings to create a sideways gust to blow the mirror out of her daughter's hooves. Luster let go if only Cozy could hear it hit the wall and make a loud smack. “Don’t you get how important these skills are? This is called: ‘active learning.’ Now come on.” Cozy got up and went to the door opposite the one they entered through. But as she turned the knob, she noticed her daughter wasn’t moving.

“Yeah, I’m not doing this,” Luster revealed. “Enjoy your… yeah, just, whatever.” Her horn lit up, and a flash encompassed her body. But nothing else happened. She tried again. There was a flash accompanied by a sparkling noise. But she was still in the room, in front of Cozy, who was now opening the door.

Luster knew her chances of getting caught were higher if she stayed. Cozy might’ve been a synonym for psycho, and Luster truly believed petrification had messed up sanity, but her plans usually don’t fail early, so she followed along.

“Why didn’t my spell work?” Luster asked, casting a noise-canceling spell around their conversation and her hooves.

“You know that a lot of these sorts of facilities have anti-teleportation systems,” Cozy responded. “Don’t worry, well find a way out.”

In her head, Luster was screaming every vulgarity she knew. She just got in trouble with the law, and now she was breaking into a facility? The two traveled across the gray hallways, brightened by lights that were too blue, on large tiles producing hollow sounds to the tap.

Those weren’t theirs. Cozy took a turn to a sub-hallway containing an elevator and the entrance to the stairwell. She pressed the button, entered the elevator, and went to the third, highest floor.

Luster said, “So, Mom—”

Cozy shushed her. “Don’t give that information away. Not here.”

“...So, partner,” Luster said in a country accent. “, you brought me to admire how calm you are? In this one specific scenario,” she clarified.

“Good point,” Cozy teased. She dropped Luster two lock picks and pushed her ear to the door, which led to the stairwell from earlier but was on a higher story.

“Really?” said Luster.

“What? You won’t always have magic to rely on,” Cozy said.

“Okay, pegasus.”

Cozy thought for a second. “Well, I supposed this is a bit sudden.”

“You think?”

“Hey, it’s not as if you know any—”

Luster melted the door handle. She wouldn’t admit to Cozy that she knew a lock-picking spell; otherwise, the mystery of who ransacks her cookie jar—her daughter or a guest—would be solved. Cozy barely taught her any spells these days. The last useful bit of information she got from homeschooling was three weeks ago: a wake-up spell. Cozy would go through the series of intentions and understanding needed to draw her influence over the physical world. The lesson lasted only an hour, but the consequences would haunt Cozy forever. Luster didn’t use the spell as she intended: to keep herself awake during class; somehow instead, she used it to keep herself up at night. And once the Sun was up, the filly was too tired to pull together another spell.

“That works...” Cozy said as she scuffled backward and pushed the door using only the edge of a hoof. “But I would probably—”

Luster shoved her mother through the door and speed-walked up the stairs. Another door, another knob turned to syrup. She waited at the rooftop for her mother, who seemed less worried about getting caught than her daughter, despite which one was the supervillain fugitive—a super fugitive.

Luster looked back. “What are you doing?!”

Cozy was leaning against a wall. If you saw a mare leaning against a thing looking that cool, you’d think, “Wow! That mare doesn’t have a care in Equestria. Not a mare who leans on things that cool.”

The filly stood dumbfounded.

“I’m mimicking your friends,” Cozy said.

An amber hue wrapped her body. “Oh yeah, sure,” Cozy said. “Just lift up my whole body, why don'tcha. You’re a unicorn, right? Why would you need, I don’t know, permission? Or—”

Luster pulled her mother closer. “Fly us out, right now!” she demanded.

“I can’t.”

“What?”

“This place has an aerial defense system. Can’t fly above the walls.”

“W-what!?”

“Tell me about it. Can’t do anything in Twilight’s Equestria,” Cozy said, despite such systems being the invented since Celestia’s reign.

“Ugh! Is there another way out,” Luster asked, peeking down at the facility. None of the edges had railings unless you count an electrical fence on the outside-facing wall. There were roads below for forklifts to operate and entrances to various warehouses marked by letters.

“Yeah, there is,” Cozy said.

Luster waited. “Well?”

“Not telling. You’re supposed to figure that out by your—” Cozy went from being suspended in midair to having all her legs straightened and muscles held stiff. But that was only preparation for the horror Luster had planned. A floating pair of scissors opened its fangs and surrounded a large lock of Butter’s hair. She called her disguised locks: boring and straight; but both knew that any damage sustained to Butters would carry over to the few hours each day, safe inside her cottage, where Cozy Glow could be Cozy Glow. “You wouldn’t…”

“Try me,” Luster said.

“...Alright, alright! Gosh!” Cozy scoffed. “Just go through one of the checkpoints... Woah!” she exclaimed as her body floated in uniform motion to the curved tin roof of warehouse A, across where Luster was look

The filly followed, self-levitating herself less smoothly due to the difficulty of the act. She had to let go of Cozy to gather her focus. Basic telekinesis would exert a force on the caster: if you pushed an object away, you’d feel yourself being pushed back too. Level two of telekinesis involved distributing the reactive force across the caster’s whole body instead of just the horn. Posture was key. One of the trickiest evolutions of the spell took the caster out of the physical system altogether, but more freedom meant new responsibilities. If basic telekinesis was like moving a phantom claw, advanced telekinesis was like blowing on a falling leaf. You had to push the object upwards against gravity, and often while practicing Luster would either exert too little, too much, or way too much force; and her target would either be crushed under the pressure of a hundred Kilograms, or concentrated her energy on such a tiny area that she'd pierce the bark of the logs she was using. And to think Cozy suggested practicing on Atty and Prety first!

But what was more advanced? Altering the fabric of space to modify the position of an object directly. As a master of teleport, Luster understood well enough how to push herself over a horizontal gap.

“Wowie! Maybe soon you could follow me on my morning—” Cozy’s coat returned to orange in safer telekinesis. “—flights… Listen—”

“Hush! There are creatures nearby,” Luster said. She opted to tread over and through the center of the roof so that they wouldn’t be spotted. The sheets of metal screwed together underneath her hooves would’ve made popping noises weren’t it for her earlier muffling spell.

Cozy wasn’t too upset about being dragged. Au contraire. This was all part of her plan: get Luster to take initiative by having her escape a well-guarded area without getting caught—and charged under the consequence of the law. A perfectly appropriate lesson! Because:

What if she becomes reliant on me? Cozy had thought earlier. What if she gets worse and worse? Gosh! What if one day she snaps and melts the heads off coworkers?! Oh Cozy, imagine getting a call telling you that the child you invested years of loving attention is going to get their life shortened because of a murder! And she has such a long life ahead of her, with so much potential, so many dreams, hopes, and ambitions; so many moments to be had and memories to be shared. Is there any worse pain?

Cozy stomach touched the floor as Luster got on hers to scout the area.

“Ugh,” Luster uttered. “You couldn’t have just told me not to vandalize, or, taught me an invisibility spell, or, I don’t know, not made us go through this in the middle of the bucking night!”

“Woah! Jeez, calm down,” Cozy said. “Come on, you wouldn’t have listened.”

“I would’ve!”

Cozy smirked at her, unconvinced, not helping mitigate the frustration of the young mage whose magic tightly wrapped around her body. “Look, this and the upcoming lessons—”

“The what?!” Luster spat.

“—will teach you a lot of valuable skills that’ll give you an edge up against all the other creatures you’ll be competing with! Who becomes successful by being nice?”

“Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Apple—”

“Don’t list off my enemies, dear,” Cozy said. “Fine. But who makes their millions by playing by the rules?”

“Rarity’s pretty successful, isn’t she? And I mean, Twilight—”

“Exceptions! Most upper-class ponies lie, cheat, manipulate; and they never get punished for any of it!”

“...You got punished.”

“I’m not upper class!”

“You have a lot of bits.”

“Yeah, but—I spent a chunk of my foalhood on the streets, okay! And the few bits I have now are a fraction compared to what they made off of my image, without permission, and a pittance compared to what Flurry has! If I had followed the rules, I’d have nothing!”

“…”

“What?”

“Honestly, from what I heard, if you just stayed friendly with Twilight—”

“Don’t even,” Cozy warned. “Now focus on the task at hoof, dear.”

Luster squinted at the area beyond. “I can’t see anything.”

“We can add a visual enhancement spell to the vote of what you can learn next month,” Cozy offered.

Luster rolled her eyes and pulled Cozy in front. “You’re the one who’s birdlike. Tell me what you see.”

“...There’s a guard in the security booth right now, and another guard resting on the wall nearby, one of whom’s a unicorn,” Cozy said.

“We’ll need a distraction…” Luster said. Her gaze went towards Cozy’s bow. Seeing a supervillain would surely get a lot of attention.

Cozy already knew what she was thinking. “No.”

Luster spent another minute thinking. She plotted so hard that her head started to hurt. Her horn lit up as she had her lightbulb moment. “I might not be able to give myself bird eyes yet, but—I did read about a certain transfiguration spell…”

Read—about? “I never taught you transfiguration,” Cozy said.

Luster turned her whole body towards Cozy, and her horn started to warm up.

Oh no, she’s giving me that look. “Luster Dawn,” Cozy said, “turning living creatures into different species is really advanced magic. You wouldn’t Mommy to have a bony tail, or fingers! Or—”


An earth pony mare looked up from her magazine from inside her checkpoint booth. “Did you hear something?”

The question woke up a unicorn stallion who had nearly fallen asleep against a wall. “What? No—didn’t hear anything…”

“Oh,” said the mare. “Just thought I heard some sort of spell being cast.” She slowly returned to her magazine. “Sounded powerful.”

“Yeah, must’ve been your imagination. There couldn’t possibly be—”

Something fell—as if it had been tossed from the rooftops. The stallion summoned a spotlight and frantically shone it across the floor whilst readying to pull out his non-lethal horse-tranquilizer gun (which looked like a regular gun). He thought he also saw a pair of reflections on the rooftop, but as turned his head and light in tandem upwards, he spotted what had fallen.

“D’aww, a gray kitten snuck inside,” said the stallion.

The cat hissed at the light, but after squinting felt her head and realized—her ribbons! Where were her bows?! She recalled the blur in her photographic memory and hoped That Luster picked one up before tossing her, but the other one? She panicked.

“Hey, don’t be scared,” said the stallion. But cat Cozy ran off.

I’ve had those bows since foalhood! Doesn’t Luster know that? They’re all I know I have from my—oh, thank Golly! Cozy found her head ribbon in a puddle. She placed a hundred preservation enchantments on the accessory, so nothing should be damaged. The main problem was that her size made the ribbon as big as a sash.

Magic appeared around her stomach, but it wasn’t Luster’s; it was blue, and it came from the stallion. He picked Cozy up despite her clinging to the asphalt floor.

“Where’d you get, little guy?” he said, pouting, in condescending foal-talk. “This isn’t food. You shouldn’t—”

Cozy hissed when he attempted to grab her ribbon; she hugged it for dear life.

At the top of the rooftop, Luster leaned on her knees over the edge, giggling. Her plan solved the guard one, but the real issue was still in the booth. The mare likely sat behind magic-resistant glass. If Luster gets her to leave her booth without causing a ruckus, an opportunity for escape should present itself.

Cozy had a few items tucked under her bow that fell out during her transformation. Luster had picked them all up, including her tail bow, which she held at a distance, and started to shuffle through. There were lock picks, her ID, a single bit for a vending machine, and—passes. Two passes, each attached to a string. Luster had purposefully dimmed the brightness of her aura so that they wouldn’t get caught. So, she turned it up, and…

"Visitor passes."

Luster walked to the side to look at the logo on another warehouse.

"Flim and Flam Co."

Luster levitated herself to the checkpoint. The stallion missed her completely as he was still wrestling Cozy for her ribbon.

“Hey,” the mare shouted. “How in Equestria did you get in here?!”

Luster showed her the pass that had her name and the picture her mother took of her six months ago for their homeschool version of a yearbook (basically a scrapbook). The mare scanned the bar code and shone a black light to check for the added security features. Information about Butter Skies must’ve popped up on the mare’s computer screen as her eyes went wide. She asked, “You’re not a changeling are you?”

“No.”

The guard was given nothing to test for changelings, so returned Luster her pass and let her off to the outside world.

I knew there was something fishy about Mom not caring about all those security cameras!

Meanwhile, Cozy had scratched the stallion: once after digging her left claws into his nostrils, and again after using said left claws to pull herself closer and scratch him again over his eyelids; she was aiming to blind him, but he closed too quickly. She was dropped, and she ran towards the exit as the guard mare left her box to check what had happened. There, she found Luster.

“Merr me meck meow meow!” Cozy said through her cat vocal cords.

Luster didn’t laugh or smirk. She looked down at her mother, eyes forming a "V", as she showed the two passes she found.

“Meow?” Cozy said in the rhythm of a “what.”

She noticed and snatched her tail bow from Luster’s aura. When looking back up, she realized Luster was still holding her crossness.

Cozy tilted her head and gave cat eyes. “Meowmr?”

Luster teleported. Without Cozy. And without changing her back.

“Did that filly just teleport?” the mare said in the distance whilst pulling the antiseptic cream out from a laid first aid kit.

“She forgot to bring her evil cat with her,” said the stallion, sniffling and wiping away a tear (and a little trail of blood) from his eyes.

It was a long walk home.