• Published 9th Jul 2023
  • 182 Views, 19 Comments

Solitaire - Acologic



King Sombra wages his war. Equestria resists. Masterduke developed the techniques with which Celestia combats the enemy's mind control. He travels to the front.

  • ...
 19
 182

Chapter III

The sky was growing lighter once they reached the cave. Starburst, citing precaution, had taken them into several fissures before returning to the one through which they had left. Masterduke sighed and stretched his neck. Starburst, younger, walked without complaint. They reached the mouth of the cave, still bathed in its bright light, and reported their return to the officer on watch. Masterduke staggered to his tent, a stretch of canvas attached to the cave wall. In it was his bag and a sleeping mat. He collapsed onto it, rolled over and sighed, rubbing his eyes. He opened them. ‘They’ll debrief us, surely,’ he breathed. ‘What do I tell them? What do I say?’ He turned and blinked. The lights shone onto his face. He grunted and rolled. He stared at the stone, black and dry. He paused. He stretched out a hoof and touched it. ‘Aloof,’ he murmured. ‘Impenetrable.’ He lay there, silent. He smiled. He closed his eyes.

He opened his eyes and winced. A pony was standing over him, speaking. Masterduke groaned and stretched. He blinked and shuffled upright. It was Starburst. Masterduke frowned. ‘What are you doing here?’ he muttered.

‘Breakfast,’ said Starburst, watching him. ‘We’re on a schedule, so you come now or you go hungry.’

‘Already?’ he mumbled. ‘I’ve barely touched the mattress.’

‘Huh. I’ve let you sleep in, professor. I was up over an hour ago. Captain Meadow’s back. He woke me to gather his report.’

At the word ‘report’, Masterduke got to his hooves. ‘What?’ he snapped. ‘What did you tell him?’

‘I knew it,’ grunted Starburst, working his mouth. ‘Don’t worry.’

‘Don’t worry?’

‘Yeah. I told him you went out walking and I went out to stop you. We ran into trouble, and one of Sombra’s officers is sitting in a fissure. I even gave you credit for saving us. That’s all.’

Masterduke closed his eyes and breathed out. He sank backward onto his mattress and sighed. ‘Well. Thanks. Thank you, Starburst.’

Starburst watched him. ‘Yeah, I thought you’d be pleased.’

‘I am,’ said Masterduke, nodding and swallowing. ‘I’m grateful.’

‘Cool. Breakfast or not?’

‘I’m coming.’

Together they walked deeper into the cave. From a row of canvases came smells of cooking. Masterduke touched his stomach. ‘I haven’t eaten since I arrived,’ he murmured.

‘We get three square and some rations too,’ said Starburst, ‘and I’ve still lost weight.’ They joined the queues. A team of soldiers ladled sloppy vegetables into tins and passed them out. Masterduke accepted his, stood aside and waited for Starburst. Starburst watched him. ‘Are you waiting for me?’

‘What exactly did you tell him?’ muttered Masterduke.

‘Who?’

‘Captain Meadow.’ Starburst rolled his eyes. Masterduke licked his teeth. ‘I must know. If they ask me for mine, our stories have to match. So, you didn’t tell them about the spell.’ Starburst watched him.

‘No,’ he said.

‘What did you tell him, exactly?’

‘I told him about the spell you used to take out the officers. I said I faked a fit and you blasted them. I never mentioned the other one.’

‘The masterpiece.’

‘Yeah.’

‘You didn’t mention it.’

‘I already told you. No.’

Masterduke sighed. ‘Good,’ he said. ‘Good.’

The cave had no tables around which to sit. Ponies squatted where there was space, in tents or next to boxes and crates. Masterduke followed Starburst, who said nothing. They returned to the mouth of the cave and stepped out. Within the trench of a nearby fissure leaned Captain Meadow, two others and the Earth who had pulled their wagon. Starburst joined them. ‘Ah!’ said Meadow, setting aside his tin and saluting. ‘Good morning, sir!’

‘Captain Meadow,’ said Masterduke, nodding. ‘You returned safely?’

‘We did, sir, at the crack of dawn. Slept well, though I hear you didn’t!’ He chuckled and nodded to Starburst. ‘Well done!’

Masterduke blinked. ‘What do you mean?’

‘Three Sombre Officers with one spell? That’s some good work!’

‘Oh.’ Masterduke’s lip curled. ‘Thank you, Captain. And –’ He swallowed. ‘My apologies. I should not have tempted fate.’ Meadow grimaced.

‘As I told you, sir, it was my fault that we were there in the first place. What’s done is done. Join us, please.’

Masterduke entered the trench and leaned against the rock. He nodded to the Earth and to the other ponies, a fruit-salad-coated mare and a sapphire-coated stallion who had fired splash. ‘This is Sergeant Smoothtooth,’ said Meadow, pointing to the Unicorn stallion. ‘Private Ivy.’ The mare saluted, then smiled. ‘Lance Corporal Sweet.’ The Earth stared at Masterduke, who blinked and looked away. ‘And it’s to all of you that I owe my apology,’ said Meadow, his smile slipping. ‘Six ponies – dead. Six friends.’ His voice broke. ‘And that’s on me. On my watch. Celestia damn me. And damn me if I spoil your breakfast.’ He saluted Masterduke and smiled at the others. ‘Gentlecolts,’ he said. He lifted his tin and left. Masterduke chewed a carrot and swallowed. The others were watching him. He looked at Starburst, who blinked, shrugged and continued to eat.

‘He’s an admirable sort, our captain,’ said Smoothtooth, slurping. ‘Stands and is counted. Takes all the heat even when it should go around. He’ll curse himself, and that’s to his credit, but hey, it’s a war. You won’t see too many tears in my eyes. Sorry, sir,’ he added, smirking. ‘Out of term. Ah, but you aren’t really a soldier, are you? So Starburst tells me.’ Masterduke flinched and glared at Starburst, who shrugged.

‘What?’ he said. ‘You aren’t.’ Masterduke licked his teeth.

‘Three with one spell,’ said Ivy, wide-eyed. ‘I’ve never heard of it! What are you, then, sir? A mage?’

‘Not quite,’ said Masterduke. ‘I’m a spellmaker.’

‘You dunce, Ivy,’ snapped Smoothtooth. ‘This here’s the pony who crafts standard-issue! Every spell we shot yesterday was yours, I presume?’ Masterduke’s mouth twitched, and he swelled.

‘Yes,’ he said. ‘Every one. Unfortunately, as I saw, they weren’t – enough,’ he finished.

‘Nah, nah, they work all right,’ said Smoothtooth. ‘I’ve been blasting thralls with them for years. I’ll tell you what it was. That damn-fool stunt with the mortar splash! Meadow’s hard horn for you bucked us good. Sir,’ he added. He grimaced. ‘Do I have to say “sir”?’ he asked.

Masterduke swallowed. ‘If you prefer not to –’

‘So, like I said, he takes the heat regardless, but this time it’s landed right on target.’

Masterduke glanced at Starburst. ‘Our squad got lucky,’ Ivy was saying. ‘Not even a glimpse of a thrall.’ The Earth, Corporal Sweet, grunted.

‘Bet you got back nice and early,’ he said. Ivy sniggered.

‘What do you want, an apology?’

‘Wouldn’t mind an extra carrot.’

‘Aww, diddums! Here, take one.’

‘Ta.’

‘You know,’ said Masterduke, ‘that I can also liberate. In point of fact, I developed the programme. Colonel Comet mentioned a Lieutenant Mask –’

Finally!’ exclaimed Smoothtooth, spraying the ponies with soup. Sweet grunted and Ivy groaned, wiping herself. ‘At long, long last!’ He grinned. ‘Now we shall know!’

Starburst rolled his eyes. ‘Flanks, sarge, it was ten bloody years ago.’

‘So? So? I’ve got him at last!’ He turned his eyes onto Masterduke’s. ‘Used to know a pony called Jet Set, and I know – I know – that he nicked exactly seventy-four bits from my coat pocket during a gala night in Canterlot!’ Masterduke blinked. ‘Yeah! He’s been sitting in our cave for a year, and there hasn’t been a liberator in these parts since we caught him. Well, when you get in there and get his helmet off, tell him Smoothtooth wants to speak to him! Hah!’

Masterduke swallowed. ‘If I get the chance,’ he said, ‘I will. You see, as happy as I would be to do it, that isn’t why I’m here.’

‘He’s here about spells, sarge,’ grunted Sweet.

‘Yes,’ said Masterduke. ‘R&D, research and development – creating, if you will.’

‘That was you creating, was it? Last night?’

‘What?’ breathed Masterduke.

‘Last night,’ grunted Sweet. ‘We were getting peppered until one of the ranks stopped. I saw you coming up the rise just before we ran.’

Masterduke’s mouth wobbled. His eyes flicked to Starburst. He swallowed and looked at Sweet. ‘No, I tried to stop them, but I couldn’t. Although –’ he added, ‘I managed to slow a few on the cliffs. That’s why I went down, to get a better spot. I’ll tell you what I did see.’ He looked around, then leaned in. ‘A shadow,’ he muttered. ‘A shadow with a purple horn.’

‘A thrall, that’s all,’ said Smoothtooth. ‘Their magic glows purple.’

‘No! Not a thrall! I was close enough to see! No helmet!’

‘No helmet?’ said Ivy, frowning. ‘An officer?’

‘Nah, can’t be!’ exclaimed Smoothtooth. ‘Their magic’s red!’

‘I know of only one pony, one Unicorn whose magic glows purple, who could have been there,’ murmured Masterduke. He glanced at Starburst. Starburst worked his mouth, frowning, but said nothing. Masterduke grinned and licked his teeth. ‘Have you ever heard,’ he whispered, ‘the name Solitaire?’

‘Solitaire?’ repeated Smoothtooth. ‘What, like the card game?’

‘Like the card game.’

‘Who is this Solitaire?’ asked Ivy.

‘Well, that’s it,’ said Masterduke. ‘No one knows.’ Starburst sniffed and turned away. Masterduke’s lip curled. ‘But Solitaire – and I have to admit it now that I’ve told you what I saw – Solitaire was one of the reasons why I came here, of all places. Some say that out there, among the dunes, is his laboratory.’

‘La-bo-ra-tree?’ repeated Smoothtooth, frowning. ‘To heck it is! I’ve never heard of this “Solitaire”, and I’ve been out here longer than any of you. You ever heard of this character, Sweet?’ Sweet shook his head.

‘I’m not surprised,’ said Masterduke. ‘He doesn’t make himself obvious. As I said, he’s why I came here. Because Solitaire is a spellmaker – that is, we think he is. The lore goes, at least, that he has been. In any case, he’s little-known, even in the industry. A forgotten legend of sorts. But if you dig, there are all sorts of stories about him. They say he’s a disaffected genius, neither for Sombra nor Celestia. They say he’s out there, experimenting. Making new things. Casting new spells. I must admit – even though I’m here to do a job – well, I’d love to meet him.’ He smiled. ‘However unlikely.’

‘And that was him?’ sneered Sweet. ‘Didn’t do that much, did he!’

‘Come off it, Sweet,’ said Ivy. ‘You Earth Ponies know nothing about magic! Did you see what he did, Mas— I mean – sir? Was it him? Did he stop them?’

‘Yes,’ said Masterduke. ‘It was him. I have no doubt. He cast one spell, and five thralls stopped firing. Who else could do such a thing?’ He rubbed his chin, smiling. ‘I say “he”. It could have been a mare.’

‘My, do you think so?’ said Ivy. Smoothtooth snorted.

‘Here it comes,’ he said. ‘Here it comes.’

‘Huh,’ said Ivy. ‘Did I say anything?’

‘You’ve said plenty before.’

‘Well, say Solitaire is a mare! That would prove it, wouldn’t it, sir? Mares are the best at magic.’

Smoothtooth snorted. ‘No point arguing. She’s convinced.’

‘Celestia, Luna, Cadence –’ She reeled off the names. ‘Flurry Heart, Scarlet Shimmer –’

‘Just as intriguing is the discussion around his – or her – identity,’ interrupted Masterduke.

Smoothtooth frowned. ‘Eh? Thought you said it’s just some random smart.’

‘No, I didn’t say that,’ said Masterduke. ‘I told you some of what we think we know about Solitaire. Another story says he’s an alias, a cover for a very powerful pony.’ Starburst sniffed and shook his head. Masterduke licked his teeth and continued. ‘Some say it’s Sombra himself, indulging his whims.’

‘What a load of nonsense,’ grunted Sweet.

‘Well, yes, perhaps. Some say it’s Princess Luna.’

‘I say so too!’ piped up Ivy, and she snorted at Smoothtooth’s expression.

‘I don’t think so,’ said Masterduke. ‘I think – well, perhaps I shouldn’t say.’

‘Say!’ said Smoothtooth and Ivy. Masterduke’s lip curled.

‘I think, and thought – again, this is partly why I came here – that perhaps Solitaire is one of you, one of the soldiers.’

‘What?’ snapped Smoothtooth. ‘Who?’

‘Could it be Colonel Comet?’ asked Ivy, wide-eyed. Masterduke shrugged.

‘Nah, nah, the Colonel’s far too boring,’ said Smoothtooth. ‘No, I’ll tell you who it would be if she were still here. That funny one. Cold and aloof.’

‘Who’s that?’ asked Ivy. Masterduke watched them, smiling.

‘You know who, Sweet?’ asked Smoothtooth.

‘No idea,’ said Sweet. ‘No, wait. Wait.’

‘Ah? Ah?’

Sweet smirked. ‘You’re a sick pony, sarge.’

‘That I am! You’ve guessed?’

‘That sour one. Lieutenant Honey.’

‘Damn it, Sweet, but you know me! Well? Doesn’t she just fit the bill or what? All brains. Cold and calculating. Never spoke to any of us. “Better” than us, she thought, no doubt.’

‘Aww, she left before I got here,’ said Ivy.

‘Don’t complain, you lucky sod! She ran my platoon before Meadow. And do you know what? Word is she’s done all right for herself. It was Captain Honey last I heard. They always fall on their hooves, those types.’

‘But it can’t have been her that you saw yesterday,’ said Ivy, blinking at Masterduke. Masterduke shrugged and glanced again at Starburst, who had not said a word.

‘Nah, it can’t have been,’ said Smoothtooth. ‘She got transferred to some secret base at who knows where. Intelligence – or counter-intelligence.’

‘Keeping tabs on her?’ Ivy grinned. ‘You liked her, really, didn’t you, sarge. Go on. Say it.’

Ivy and Smoothtooth snapped insults at each other while the others finished eating. Masterduke followed Starburst, and they deposited their tins. Starburst was ignoring him. Masterduke tapped him on the flank. He tapped him again. ‘What?’ snarled Starburst, rounding on Masterduke.

‘Well? What do you think? What do you say to that, eh? “Solitaire”.’ He grinned. ‘Brilliant, yes?’ Starburst scowled.

‘What a load of absolute tosh! You’re just sad! A sad, sad pony!’ He made to walk away, but Masterduke held him back.

‘Listen to me, Starburst; you said it yourself. Yes, sad I may be, but don’t you see? There’s good I can do! You were right last night. You were absolutely right! What was I thinking? Declare my spell to all and sundry, and Sombra would skip over it in a second. But this way… I have a shield, a mystery, a ghost! Sombra can get to any pony, and he can bend him and break him. He can destroy him utterly. But Solitaire?’ He laughed. ‘No, no! Because he is nothing! A spectre. An idea. An idea through which I shall do my good.’

‘Yeah. Flanks. It’s all talk, professor, and I’m not listening anymore.’

‘All talk! What do you mean, “all talk”?’

You said it yourself. You couldn’t have said it any clearer. You don’t believe in good. You don’t believe in anything. Nothing but your own whims. This is an ego trip. You don’t care two bits.’

‘Ah, but that’s where you’re wrong. Yes, I see it as nonsense, but you see it as good, don’t you? You know what my spell can do, how many ponies it can save.’ Starburst stopped. He worked his mouth. ‘Yes, yes! So, you’re right; I don’t care. You’re absolutely right. But you do. And you know that, if you let me, I’ll help ponies. And you want that. You do want that, don’t you?’

Starburst stiffened. He sniffed. ‘So, it’s all about you, yet you’re going to help ponies.’

‘Yes,’ said Masterduke.

‘Huh. And I suppose the second you change your mind, you’ll do whatever else your “whims” command.’

‘Oh, absolutely. I make no pretence. But, as it stands, you know what my whims are.’

Starburst sighed. ‘Huh. Flanks. What do you have in mind?’ Masterduke’s lip curled.

‘Excellent,’ he breathed. ‘Well, Starburst, my plan is simple. Through the guise of Solitaire, we use my spell, you and I.’

‘Eh? You want me to use it?’

‘Absolutely, and I’ll tell you why. Say something were to happen to me, and the magic stops. No, no, that will not do! I want this spell to last. Then there’s a strategic bonus. Solitaire is one pony. We are two. Together we can make him – or her,’ he added, smiling, ‘truly remarkable! Truly invincible!’

‘Yeah? How?’

‘We start small,’ said Masterduke. ‘Let’s say we go out at night –’

Starburst snorted. ‘Are you serious? Weren’t you moaning about lack of sleep half-an-hour ago? And do you really think no one’s going to notice us missing – or slipping out?’

‘All right, then, we try something else. How about during duty? On missions and so forth.’

Starburst rolled his eyes. ‘Same point. Someone will notice.’

‘Damn it, Starburst! Help me here! OK. If we can’t go out together, we cover for each other. Take turns. I don’t know. Something.’

Starburst shook his head. ‘Until you know, I’m out.’

‘Starburst!’

‘What?’

‘Don’t be stubborn.’

‘Huh.’

‘I’ll think of something, don’t worry. When I do, I will tell you.’

‘OK.’

‘Promise you won’t tell.’

‘Don’t,’ sneered Starburst, turning away.

‘Starburst! Promise!’

Starburst closed his eyes and sighed. ‘If I do,’ he said, ‘then there’s a condition.’

‘Name it.’

‘You have to use this spell for what I think is good. To help ponies. To help Equestria.’

‘For what you think is good? Arrogant boy!’

‘Look who’s talking!’ snapped Starburst. ‘Bye, professor!’

‘No, no! Wait! OK. Yes. Very well.’ Masterduke licked his teeth. He rubbed his chin. He sighed. ‘I promise,’ he muttered.

‘Promise what?’

Masterduke’s face twitched. ‘I promise to use my spell for good.’

‘To help Equestria?’

‘Yes.’

‘To help ponies?’

‘Yes, yes.’

Starburst stared at him. He nodded. ‘Then I promise too. I’ll keep your secret.’ Masterduke beamed.

‘Thank you,’ he said. ‘You won’t regret this. You’ll see.’

‘Oh, and a bit of advice,’ said Starburst, smiling.

‘What?’

‘Prepare to be bombarded.’

Masterduke blinked. ‘What do you mean?’

‘I mean that Ivy’s the biggest gossip in the regiment, and you’ve given her “Solitaire” – a gold mine. Have fun!’ He walked away, Masterduke watching him. The latter’s lip curled.

‘Gossip indeed,’ he muttered. ‘I’ve struck gold. May the name spread like wildfire. May it go down in history! And, one day, there I shall be to claim it!’