• Published 26th Sep 2012
  • 1,441 Views, 44 Comments

Living with the music - Wafflegodman



Amnesia... it sounds like a bad thing, right? Well, sometimes it's just a new beginning.

  • ...
3
 44
 1,441

A piece of Vinyl's mind (Like the last chapter, but with Vinyl)

Shit... I forgot to warn Enigma that I was going to use a teleportation spell... this is gonna suck.

Sure enough, as soon as we appeared in the suite Octavia reserved for us... puke, puke everywhere! It was my fault, but you know... I get to tease Enigma now. "Mother of... you should warn somepony before spewing on them."

"I will when you warn me that you're about to cast the Chunk'OMatic spell." She retorted. She's getting wittier, I'll take that as a good omen.

"Yeah, yeah." I said, ending the conversation. I had to go clean up. Not only was I covered in puke, but my color spell was wearing out... maybe I'll go O'natural for a bit. At the very least, I could surprise Enigma, and Octy.

"Why do I trust you and Octavia so much?" I heard Enigma mutter in the background. For some reason, that really hurt.

"Because... Imprinting." I responded, stopped walking, and turned around to face Enigma. Perhaps this is a good chance to fool around with little miss blank flank some more.

"What?" She asked. She looked a bit worn out, but still seemed like she could take a couple more jokes.

"Imprinting... Octavia is the first person you saw, therefore, you feel as though she is a 'motherly figure'." Look at me, being all smart n' shit. I love it when I get to do this.

"I didn't know you had a brain." She responded lightheartedly. I knew she meant know trespass, but that hurt. I shook it off, now was the time to launch my little joke.

"Yeah, get used to it, it took Octavia some time too. I'm actually a super genius." I said, and it worked. Enigma's face was distorted, but it soon recovered. The trick was to be completely serious.

"If that's so, then tell me why I trust you?" She asked. Hook, line, and sinker. Now I could really have some fun.

"Simple, I'm so sexy that you'd believe any word I say." I said, with my pseudo seriousness.

Enigma's face looked like it became a tinge pink. It wasn't what I was expecting, really. Typically, the victim responds hastily with a semi-funny comeback. Instead Enigma stood there, taken aback slightly. Interesting...

"Really now, I thought you were classier then that." Ouch, my heart. That was good, a little too good. In fact it was down right mean, but I could see Enigma's face increase in redness. She was embarrassed, that was painfully obvious, I should probably leave her alone... for now.

"Fine, be that way." I said, not really mocking the tone of pain in my voice.

At the last minute I remembered a spell that could clean up all this mess, that would make the time I spend in the bathroom considerably shorter. I let the spell loose, and it worked like a charm, but something was different, my horn felt warmer, less... blue. I had less time then I thought.

I turned around, and almost ran into the bathroom. I jumped into the shower, threw my sunglasses on the towel rack, and turned on the water. At first it poured over my shoulders with icy fingers, but it soon embraced my with warmth. I stayed in the shower for not more then fifteen seconds, that was all that was needed to wash off the magic residue.

I got out of the shower, and took a long look at myself in the mirror... it had almost been a year since I last saw myself like this. My mane, was the brightest blonde you can get, without it looking white. My coat was no longer a tinge yellow, but One hundred percent white. My eyes... they were still red, but they had blue flecks throughout them, making them look almost purple at a distance. I smiled. I forgot how different I really looked like this.

I combed my mane down, it almost matched Enigma's mane now, but you could see both my eyes. I don't know why Enigma hid her blind eye, I think its pretty.

I decided not to cast the color spell again, and left the bathroom. It was going to be funny as hell to see Enigma's reaction, and Octy's for that matter.

I was about to scare Enigma, but she started playing a wonderful song. When she started singing in Prench, I recalled learning to speak Prench in order to mess with Tavi. Once the song was over I thought I'd complement Enigma on that masterpiece... I'd never heard it before, and Tavi never mentioned a song like this to me, and trust me, she would have... so I assumed it was an Enigma original.

"Ce qui était beau. (That was beautiful)" I said.

"No... that was sick..." Enigma said.

That statement sent a jolt of pain through me. I don't know why, but it did. I took a few seconds to look at Enigma... she was broken. Her head was hung over the key's of the piano. She looked like she wanted to cry. She just screamed 'Hey, I just had a life changing experience, and it wasn't the good kind, so could you... ya know... help me out a little.'. I walked up to her, and wrapped my hooves around her waist. She leaned back into me, and just sat there, fighting back tears. After a while, I felt her go limp, and used my magic to pick her up, and bring her to the couch. I sat down, and laid her length wise on the couch, letting her rest her head on my hind legs. I started stroking her mane, whispering sweet nothings to her, even though she was clearly asleep. She felt light, and delicate. For the first time since I've known her, she looked broken, and exhausted. She always screamed confidence... perhaps that was because she had nothing to lose, but now... it was sad.

At that moment I would do anything to help this filly get better, anything at all.

Sometime later, I fell asleep with Enigma's head on my lap. I had many wonderful dreams that night, all of which had Enigma in it for some reason, or another. I cared for this filly, perhaps I didn't love her, but I still wanted to see her happy.

I woke up early that morning... we had missed Octavia's concert, but I didn't care. The most important thing right now is keeping Enigma from getting completely depressed. I gently raised her with my magic... it was a bit of a shock seeing a yellow aura envelope her instead of blue... then I got up, and placed a pillow under her head. I had just gotten barrings, when I heard someone open the front door. I looked toward the door, and there was Octy, frustrated yet happy at the same time. I swear, the way she can express so many emotions at once, she must be some kind of superpony. Anyway, once she saw me, her jaw dropped to the floor.

"I... I'm sorry, I must have gotten the rooms mixed up, or something like that..." I cut her off by raising my hoof to my mouth, telling her to be quite.

I walked up to her, and whispered. "No, this is the right room, and no, I'm not some sort of burglar, Its me, your old friend Vinyl."

Tavi's face lit up with surprise, but I put my hoof up to her mouth to keep her from screaming out questions. Once she understood why I shoved my hoof in her face, she calmed down, then I let her speak.

"What did you do to yourself?" she asked.

"I took off the color changing spell I had on. This is what I normally look like." I answered.

"B... but I have never once seen you like this!" Octavia said in a surprised whisper.

"Nopony has, save for my parents." I exclaimed.

"So, why are we whispering? And, more importantly, why didn't you come to my concert!" She began to get louder, and angrier.

I simply gestured with my hoof toward Enigma. "She had it rough last night." I said.

I swear, Octavia looked like she was about to get hit by a train. "What happened?!" She nearly screamed, getting very angry.

"She might have remembered something, I don't know." I said. "She played a wonderful song last night, and just lost it." I said, not even trying to hide the worry in my voice. I looked over to Enigma. "I... I stayed with her all night." I said stoically.

Octavia looked over to Enigma herself. "Are... you alright?" she asked suddenly, after a few seconds of silence.

"Yeah, I just have a lot to think about now." I answered.

"Same here." she responded. "I'm gonna make some tea, then we can talk in the other room." She said.

"Grab me a cup of coffee instead, would you?" I asked. Octavia nodded her head, and set off. I walked into the other room, and waited.

After a while, Octavia came in with a mug of coffee, and a cup of tea. We both sat down at two chairs sitting at the corners of a coffee table.

"So, what do you have to think about?" Octavia asked me.

"Its my birthday in a couple days." I said. Not stating exactly what has been on my mind.

"That's right, you're gonna be eighteen, right?" She asked.

"Yeah." I answered.

"I'll try, and find a good gift then... Speaking of ages, you haven't let Enigma drink anything Alcoholic, did you?" She asked.

Buck me.

"I uh... yeah." I answered.

"Shit." Octavia said. I thought she would be angry, but she wasn't.

"You're not angry with me, are you? I mean, I used one of my spells to keep it from messing with her liver, you know, the same one I use." I asked.

"Good. No, it was my fault. Anyway, you know you shouldn't drink tell you're twenty one, right?" she asked.

I nodded my head. I knew what was coming. Octavia was going to rant about 'Equestrian Law' for a bit, scold me, then forget about it entirely. Perhaps there is a way to keep that from happening.

"What about you? What's on your mind?" I asked.

"Oh! Right. I was thinking, since I'm twenty eight, and I am technically Enigma's legal guardian. Perhaps I could adopt her." She said. Boy, I didn't see that coming, not at all. This is going to make my bombshell a lot harder to drop.

"Wow, how young is she anyway?" I asked.

"Sixteen, or seventeen. A few years younger then you." She said.

I can't believe I didn't realize she was that young. I mean, I'm young, and all, but she is far to young to be hanging around me. I'm too young to be hanging around me, the only reason I can is because of the handy dandy horn on my head.

"Shit. I suppose she does kinda look it. Not too tall, and a bit thin. I can't believe I didn't see it earlier! I thought she was like, twenty, or something." I said, realization hitting me like a brick. Just another complication in my bomb drop.

"You seem a bit flustered, is everything all right?" Octavia asked.

"Hell no! I got a crush on a filly that is about to become your daughter! I mean, would everything be all right with you if you fell for your best friends daughter?" I lost it. Any hint of self control left my body, and because of that I just made this whole situation awkward as buck.

"Y... you have a crush on... Enigma?" She asked. Taken aback quite a bit.

I nodded my head, slid back in my chair, and covered my face with my hooves, waiting to hear Octavia start screaming like a banshee.

Instead, all I heard was her take a sip of her tea, and silence. I lifted my hooves to look at Octy. She was staring off into space. Still, I stayed silent.

Minutes later, she finally spoke. "I'll tell you what. I'll let you try your luck with Enigma, as long as you don't ever, ever, call me mom... Also, if you give her any more alcohol, I will personally send you to Tartarus. Do you understand?" She asked.

I hugged her, and kissed her cheek. I looked her in the eyes, and squeed like a little filly. Then, I hugged her again. I was filled with fear, and embarrassment, but most of all, I was filled with happiness.

"Still, I'm going to ask Enigma if she even wants to be my daughter. If she say's no, then...." she stopped there.

My mood deflated instantly. But, then a question popped into my mind. "Since when did you want a daughter?" I asked.

"For a while now, actually. But you know me, my love life is as stale as month old bread.... If you make one comment similar to 'I can fix that for you' or 'You could have asked.' then so help me Celestia! You will not see tomorrow." she warned.

"Fine, but why do you want to take in Enigma? You've barely spent any time with her, and you barely know her!" I asked.

"She... needs help. I can give her that help... and, I just feel... right with her around. I suppose I need her as much as she needs me really." She answered.

"It's too bad you didn't adopt me." I said huffing. "You've known me for years, and instead of picking me up, you let me age out of that dumb orphanage." I said.

"Hey, that orphanage was a freaking mansion, and you were like, one of three kids was it? Yeah! One of three kids in that place. You had more things then most ponies even wanted. Anyway, you never asked, so don't complain now!" she said.

It's true, my parents died when I was two. I was then sent to an Orphanage, that just happened to be extremely wealthy, and only had three kids in it. I had plenty of chances to ask Octy to adopt me, but I didn't... it would probably be lame too, having her as a parent.

"How did we become friends?" I asked.

"Because, I played my double bass on the street corner by your orphanage every day since I was twelve, and you always listened." She answered. It was nice, those memories we shared.

"I don't think I ever asked why you played on the street corner everyday, did I?" I asked.

"Nope, do you want to know why?" She asked.

I nodded my head.

"I had a crush on that stallion that worked at the front desk of that place." She said with a cheeky smile.

"You mean Uncle Charity? He was like... forty!" I exclaimed.

"I know, I know. I was a silly filly back then." she said, giving a little giggle.

"We both were." I said, joining her in the laugh.

After a few seconds of laughing we calmed down. "We still are you know." Octavia said. "I want to adopt a teenager, and you want to date her. How silly can this get?"

"I don't know, but Its bound to get a whole lot worse in the next few years, ain't it?" I asked.

"If things go as planned, then yeah, yeah it will.... you know what is sad, I still want to go along with it." she said.

I nodded my head, grabbed my coffee, and chugged it. Octavia downed her tea as well. Then we both laughed.

These next few weeks are going to be hell....