• Published 25th Aug 2023
  • 424 Views, 21 Comments

The Millennium Archives - Moonatik



A collection of records, accounts, and dossiers to give insight to the world of the New Lunar Millennium.

  • ...
3
 21
 424

The World Beyond

Moonatik leans to one side in his chair. “To quickly gloss over what the Lunar Empire was up to on Equus itself, that’s the continent, they cleared up the Equestrian monster problem, they took over the Changeling Lands after their Queen tried to take over Equestria, and then they fought and won a war against King Sombra. You’re probably familiar with what that’d look like, in some sense.”

“Though there’s a whole world beyond just Equestria and its neighbours. To put it mildly they were shaken by the sudden return of Nightmare Moon and the, well, disappearance of the sun. Many thought the end of the world was upon them! Though when it stayed warm and plants kept growing, people calmed down.” He shrugs. “Mostly. There was still a militarising Lunar Empire where a peaceful Equestria used to be.”

He takes a batch of papers out of the desk. “To help you understand all that, here’s a briefing prepared for Nightmare Moon herself! Surely nothing wrong with showing classified briefings to a random outsider such as yourself, ey?”

Top secret reference material prepared for Empress Nightmare Moon by the Imperial Ministry for International Affairs, dated 1 September 1004.

Equus continent summary

The Lunar Empire remains the dominant power on the Equus continent. The threat to Lunar interests on the continent from smaller states has been largely subdued, but vigilance should not waver.

  • Nova Griffonia maintains cordial relations with the Lunar Empire, as the first state to have engaged in diplomatic talks with us. The former colony of the Griffonian Empire is economically dependent on Equestrian imports. Armed forces are composed of local, often informal, militias overseen by a rudimentary command structure. Population ambivalent towards us. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The Kingdom of Yakyakistan has no formal relations with the Lunar Empire. Analysis of their economic and military capabilities reveals that they pose an insignificant threat to Lunar interests and have few, if any, foreign ambitions. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The United Dragon Lands have cordial relations with the Lunar Empire. Current ruling regime regards the Lunar Empire as a friend and potential partner, but owing to the kratocratic nature of Dragon politics the situation is perpetually in question. Strong anti-pony sentiment amongst the populace and diaspora. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The Kingdom of Pingland has no formal diplomatic relations with the Lunar Empire and regards us with hostility. Recognises the Puerto Caballo rebel government. Strong anti-Lunar sentiment pervades the government and population. Economy and military are small and undeveloped by continental standards. Has attempted to form a military bloc with other hostile states such as Vedina and Olenia. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The Kingdom of Olenia has no formal relations with the Lunar Empire. Recognises the Puerto Caballo rebel government. Developed modern economy characterised by pervasive corruption and oligarch domination. Military is lacking and plagued with corruption. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The Polar Bear Communities maintain a productive and cordial relationship with the Lunar Empire. Broadly undeveloped economy and military. Economy is slowly developing due to the importation of Equestrian industrial equipment. Given their dependence, outlooks suggest they have an interest in maintaining their relationship with us. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The Changeling Lands remain under occupation by the Imperial Lunar Military. Local hive queens are broadly cooperative with Lunar authorities. Conflict with anti-Lunar guerillas is frequent, but largely under control. Population retains anti-Equestrian sentiment from the Chrysalis era. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The Dominion of Puerto Caballo remains under hostile occupation by the so-called Equestrian Provisional Government. Physical military threat to Equestria is virtually nonexistent, but the island is extremely well fortified. Strong Arisian presence identified on the territory. Heavily reliant on Arisian imports, delivered by underwater supply routes. Aquileian naval presence and diplomatic protection makes direct Lunar invasion inadvisable at the current moment. (More detailed information on page ██)

Western Griffonia region summary

The Lunar Empire presence in southwestern Griffonia, represented by the Commonwealth of New Mareland, remains a strong and loyal outpost for our interests. Local government has fully harmonised its foreign policy with the central Imperial government and continues to be satisfied with its place in the Lunar order. Surrounding states range from cordial and passive to belligerent and hostile.

  • The Griffonian Empire maintains a warm yet dispassionate relationship with us. Dysfunctional and backwards political system has prevented economic development and is preventing political unity. Retains a powerful army with some of the most advanced military theory on the continent, but overall power held back by backwards command structure. Could threaten Lunar interests in the future. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The Griffonian Republic has no official relations with the Lunar Empire. Generally, the Republic’s current leadership is amicable towards us and seeks our recognition. Current assessments suggest the Republic lacks the military or economic capabilities to challenge the Empire. Could be played against the Griffonian Empire if relations deteriorate. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The Skyfall Trade Federation continues to foster a productive relationship with the Lunar Empire. Strong army and navy, composed mostly of mercenaries. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The Kingdom of Wingbardy maintains a warm yet dispassionate relationship with us. Developed trade links with New Mareland continue uninterrupted. Ambitions in Zebrica and southern Griffonia may overlap with ours. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The Kingdom of Aquileia continues to threaten our influence, yet there is hope that this may change. Currently, the Kingdom is strongly contesting our overlapping spheres of influence in the islands south of Equestria and southwestern Griffonia. Aquileian support for the illegitimate rebel government of Puerto Caballo continues. They possess the strongest military in the region, and forecasts on what a direct war would look like are not promising. Economic problems continue to trouble the nation, increasing public dissatisfaction with the government and its hostile relationship with the Empire. Underground republican movement is growing increasingly dependent on our aid (More detailed information on page ██)

Eastern Griffonia region summary

The Lunar Empire currently has no significant presence or interest in Eastern Griffonia, but opportunities and challenges exist.

  • The River Coalition has previously been divided in its relations with us, but generally regards us coldly. Leader of the River Coalition, the River Republic, refused to recognise us as the legitimate government of Equestria and has encouraged other Coalition members to do the same. All Coalition members have towed the line, aside from Diamond Mountain, Nimbusia, and Jezeragrad. Current state of political division and varying levels of economic development hold back the Coalition’s potential, but may pose a major threat in the future. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The Kingdom of Brodfeld continues to treat us with hostility. King Kloseu de Kissau believes you (Empress Nightmare Moon) are a “crypto-communist”. Economic deterioration and insurgency continues to trouble the nation. Zero threat to Lunar interests. (More detailed information on page ██)

Northern Zebrica region summary

The Lunar Empire presence in southwestern Griffonia, represented by the Dominion of Chiropterra, remains a strong and loyal outpost for our interests. Efforts to reform the Chiropterran system and restrain the zealous excesses of its leadership continue to bear fruit. Surrounding states are largely hostile.

  • The United Kingdom of Hippogriffia and Seaquestria, also known as Aris, continues to be hostile towards us and is broadly considered the largest threat to Lunar influence in the region. Military capabilities are primarily defensive and continue to expand, with developing offensive capabilities. Current government likely seeks to avoid direct conflict with the Lunar Empire, instead aiming to limit our influence through covert, underhanded means. Arisian support for the illegitimate rebel government of Puerto Caballo continues. The Arisian public is broadly supportive of the government's foreign policy, with propaganda campaigns aimed at increasing distrust in government and improving perception of the Empire failing to bear fruit. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The Kingdom of Zumidia views us unfavourably. Diplomatically it is drawing closer to Aris, with its military being trained by Arisian instructors and equipped with Arisian weapons. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The Kingdom of Warzena views us as a threat. Believed that the country’s history with Chiropterra strains relations. Much like its northern neighbour, its armed forces are being trained and equipped by Aris. Incredibly weak military, most recent performance in the 1000 Manerba War resulted in a swift Warzenan defeat. Current estimates suggest a Chiropterran operation could capitulate the whole state in two nights. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The Colthaginian Republic regards us mostly unfavourably. Have met with our diplomats on a hoofful of occasions. Backwards slavery-based economic model restrains economic development. Military capabilities have increased in recent years. Diplomatically it is drawing closer to Aris. Signs of unrest in the eastern province of Coltva are showing, possibly giving us an opportunity. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • The Confederation of Zarantia regards us as a threat. Recent attempts at modernisation of society, economy, and military have been largely successful. Diplomatically isolated, invasion and annexation of then-Warzenan Manerba and Miharzehir in 1000 strained its relationship with northern neighbours. Recently the forces of the Storm King crossed into Zarantian territory, with current outlooks suggesting the Zarantians will be unable to resist the invasion for long. (More detailed information on page ██)

IMPORTANT RECENT DEVELOPMENTS

  • UNITED DRAGON LANDS: Dragon Lord Torch has retired. His daughter, Ember, won the contest to succeed him. Current assessments suggest Ember seeks friendly relations with Equestria. Unknown if this will last. Dragon society has accepted Ember’s rule, but she could be challenged for the title by an uncooperative or hostile challenger. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • REPUBLIC OF JEZERAGRAD: Opened formal diplomatic relations with the Lunar Empire after a successful diplomatic campaign. Faced no resistance from the wider Coalition, beyond softly worded statements from River Republic.
  • REALM OF KIRIA: An Equestrian national named Pea Shooter (age 42, born in Petershoof) was recently arrested in the Kirian city of Fragrance for allegedly smuggling weapons and contraband into the country. Kiria prohibits both imports and commerce, with harsh punishments for foreigners importing weapons especially. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is negotiating for his release, but considers the possibility of success both unlikely and of low priority.
  • KINGDOM OF BRODFELD: Government is losing control of swathes of countryside to bandits and insurgents. The socialist Prywhenian Liberation Army is the most powerful anti-government force in the country. Likely to escalate into a full civil war. (More detailed information on page ██)
  • ZEBRICA CONTINENT: The armies of the Storm King continue to rampage across the continent with impunity. Most recent victims to fall under total occupation were Maregypt and Abyssinia. Zarantia is currently struggling to fight against an invasion, the Confederation is expected to fall in less than a month. If Zarantia falls then the Storm King will have a direct land route to invade Chiropterra. Chiropterran forces have been placed on high alert and war measures are being implemented. (More detailed information on page ██)

Moonatik excitedly rubs his hooves together, his wings fluttering. “My my, how exciting! Is that last bullet point a segue to the next section? Oh, you bet! You bet!”