• Published 28th Sep 2012
  • 7,334 Views, 199 Comments

New Land Old Enemies - Silent Scout



Where the HELL am I? Last thing I knew me and buddy were providing overwatch but now I'm in a fores

  • ...
36
 199
 7,334

Chapter 9: Royal Meetings

Name: MSG. Adam “Shifty” Smith
Date: August 21, 2015 (December 6, Equestria)
Location: The Library
Time: 0530

Why can’t my dreams just leave me alone!

Rubbing his eyes, to get the gunk out of them, he then turned off the alarm on his watch and got up out of bed. His dream was more of a memory and one that he thought he had gotten over years ago. The dream was about when he first saw a civilian used as a bomb and kill five of his friends from basic in the blast, as he observed through his scope. All he could do was lay there and watch as the two that survived the initial blast, screaming, died shortly afterwards from the severe blood loss and loss of limbs. If he closed his eyes he could still see the carnage before him, burned into his retinas.

Now that he was awake he had things that needed to be done. He had to pack up his gear in preparation for the trip to see the princesses and he had no intentions of leaving anything behind even if he wasn’t going to be there for very long. He began by removing his rifle maintenances kit and went to work on the sniper rifle and the anti material rifle that he had. He planned on breaking them down to store them in the bags for easier travel, but he first needed to work on them a bit. According to the letter Twilight received last night, they were to expect a chariot to come pick them up a little after one o’clock.

Normally he would have used this time to still get in some training, he wanted to test something out that he came up with after hearing about the fighting with the changelings. In the meantime until Twilight woke up he was going to perform a quick inventory check of what he had left. He emptied the two bags and began to organize them into separate groups to see what he now had and to see if Steve had packed any more surprises in there besides the Ipod.

Now that he had finally removed everything from his bags and looked at it all, he realized that he had effectively double the standard combat load with him. He had all this gear in front of him but nothing to use it for at the moment. While going through Steve’s old bag he found nothing else that was different from his own supplies. The time it took for him to actually clean and break down the two rifles as well as unpack then re pack his bags, with the additions of the two rifles, the sun had made its way into the sky and found a way to shoot glares into his eyes.

He could hear the faint sounds of hoof steps coming from down the hall and the sounds of yawns from the ever sleepy dragon close behind them. Looking at his watch again he saw that it was now seven forty-five in the morning. Well now that he was done with this he could now go join Twilight and Spike for breakfast and finally ask Twilight about something.

When he made it down the stairs he found the two making themselves bowls of cereal and from his angel he could see the title of the box, “Hay-O’s.”

Yeah, I think I’ll make myself some eggs.

Walking over to the refrigerator he said his hellos to Spike and Twilight who returned his greetings before he pulled out the eggs sitting inside and the pan hanging from the ceiling. He wasn’t the best of cooks but he managed to make a few simple things here and there. How he hadn’t given himself food poisoning was anyone's guess and for that reason he was never the one cooking.

Halfway through his cooking, the scrambled eggs he was going to make ended up becoming an omelette which left him pleasantly surprised at his own mistake and just went along with it. Sitting back at the table with his plate now in front of him he began the awkward task of using a fork and knife. He was starting to get the hang of using the utensils here but he still had a long ways to go.

After finishing his meal he followed Twilight back into the main area of the library, the time had come.

“Hey Twilight can I ask you for a favor?”

“Sure you can Adam. What is it that you need,” she asked as she tilted her head in curiousity.

“Ya remember that spell ya’ll used on the changeling so that you could see their true form?”

“Yes, I remember that spell. Why, what is it that you need it for? Are there changelings here?!” Twilight’s interest had just peaked and she now really wanted to know what he would want with this spell.

“No no no no, there are no changelings that I am aware of. I want ya to use that spell on me.”

This caught Twilight completely off guard to say the least. “But you are not a changeling, why would you want me to cast the spell on you?”

“Well I was thinkin’ that like a changeling I am not really a pony and even though it is a stretch I was hopin’ that maybe that spell could show my true form.

“There is no telling if the spell will even work let alone for how long. IF it works, it could last a few seconds or it could last all day or even forever there is just no information out there that can help.”

His ears lowered and his head dropped down a bit as he said, “I know but I still want ya to cast the spell on me. I just want to be my actual self for a while at least.”

Twilight gave him a thoughtful look before finally giving in and agree to cast the spell for him. They started the preparations by first clearing out a small area so as not to break anything then had him stand in the middle of it.

“Now I think if I alter the spell just a I might give you a better chance of this actually working. Now are you ready?”

Adam gave a quick glance around the room before responding, “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

Twilight gave him a little nod and he began watching as her horn lit up a bright lavender color which was then a bright white. He had to look away so as not to blind himself in the process and was not ready for the beam to shot out and hit him square in the chest sending him flying into the wall on the other side of the room. He collapsed into a heap on the floor and waited to get the air back into his lungs. He didn’t feel any different besides the bruise that was sure to form on his chest now and the throb in his head from slamming it into the wall.

He let out a defeated sigh before looking at Twilight and saying, “Well it was a nice try, but I guess it didn’t work. Thank you for trying Twilight, we should probably ARGH!”

He was interrupted by a searing pain that was consuming his very being, forcing him back to the ground screaming the entire time. Twilight on the other hand could only look on in horror at what she had just done to her friend and not knowing any way to make it stop. All she could do was stand there eyes the size of pin pricks and with her ears plastered to her head as she listened to his screaming pleas to make the pain stop.

To Adam it felt like every second was its own eternity as someone poured molten lead into his veins and set his flesh on fire. Just as quickly as it came, it was over. He was lying in the fetal position shaking uncontrollably, but like before he didn’t feel any different other than the pain from earlier. He decided to make an effort to stand back up, but unlike earlier he felt uncomfortable on all fours like he had been. Looking down to investigate why he saw something that put a smile on his face. He saw a set of gloved hands planted on the ground holding him up and these weren’t just any hands these were his hands.

He made another attempt to stand but this time he rose up on his hind legs to find that they too had been turned back to their original form as well as the rest of hi for that matter. He could feel the smile spread wider on his face as he began to stretch out his limbs and listened to the joints pop. Twilight’s look of horror changed to that of awe at seeing her friends true form as he now towered over everything in the room.

Throwing a couple of punches in front of himself he hollered, “I’m back baby!” He then straightened back up and turned to Twilight before saying, “Now I would like to thank you again Twilight for casting the spell for me, though I didn’t expect the pain and being thrown into the wall but I can’t complain about the end results. If you would excuse me I believe there is a certain mint green pony that would like to see me in my current form.”

Walking in town, while uneventful, was very unsettling. Everywhere he went he could not find anyone outside and it was a very nice day out. All the shops were closed and the windows had their shutters drawn.

A little distance ahead he heard the some one rhyme, “What is the matter little pony folk, is this some new brand of joke?”

Rounding the corner he saw who had been speaking and duly surprised to see a zebra standing there in front of a shop door glaring at it. The zebra must have heard him approach because it then turned and faced him and gave him a curious look.

“What is this that I see, a new and strange creature stands before me .”

“Well hello to you too, I’m not too surprised to see that there are also talking zebras here too. Anyways I meant to ask Twilight before I left but do you know where I could find Lyra’s home?”

“The pony that you seek lives just down at the end of this here street.”

That rhyming must get really annoying.

Saying a quick thank you he made his way down the street to the house with a sign out front stating that the residents were Bon Bon and Lyra. He walked up to the door and gave it a few quick knocks and waited for a response. He waited a couple of minutes but heard no response before he repeated the process again.

He knocked again but this time he called out, “Lyra are you home? Its me Adam, I just wanted to talk for a bit before I go to Canterlot.”

This time he could hear faint sounds coming from inside. From what it sounded like, it seemed like there was an argument going on inside over something.

A sudden thought came to him and he decided to go with it. Taking a step back as if he was leaving he said, “Oh well, I just thought Lyra would have liked to see the hands I just got back. But since she isn’t here I guess I might as well leave. We don’t know how long the spell will last and it could end at any moment.”

He was rewarded with the sounds of even louder talking and the sounds of scuffling and then scraping at the door. Having had a bad time with the doors around here he took another step back away from the door as it swung outwards toward him just as he did so.

Now standing before him was none other than the mint green unicorn he had been looking for, though she was slightly out of breath at the moment. Upon seeing him her eyes widened and her grin grew to a size that would even give Pinkie a run for her money.

“Something told me that would get you to come out. Why were you locked inside anyways?”

“Oh that,” Lyra shot a look back at the cream colored pony behind her, “well Bon Bon here wouldn’t let me out because, like most ponies here, she does not trust strange and new ponies that come into town. But hey Bon Bon guess what.” She then broke out into a dance chanting, “I’m right, I’m right, you’re wrong, you’re wrong, humans, exist.”

He couldn’t help himself but to laugh at her little antics at the expense of her friend, who was currently face hoofing.

“So now that I have shown you what I really look like, do you have any questions that you might want answered?”

Lyra gave her chin a gentle tap in thought then looked up at him, “How is it now that you have lived without hands for a while?”

“Well I can say this, I REALLY missed not having to put every damn thing in my mouth to pick things up. That and hands are just so useful, but it was extremely painful getting them back and I don’t even know for how long.”

Adam looked down at his hands and started flexing his fingers with a faint smile on his face. Lyra began to stare at his hands while her mind wandered, thinking of what it would be like to have a set of her own hands.

Coming out of her mental wanderings she looked up into his face and asked, “Is it alright if I ask you something?”

“Ya just did,” he laughed, “but go ahead.”

She chuckled at his joke and asked, “Can I draw you? All the books I have read give a brief description and even have rough sketches, but nothing really detailed. It will be really quick, I swear.”

“Um uh sure, you can draw me I still have a few hours before I have to go.”

The “quick” drawing took three hours as she questioned him on different parts of his body and labeling them on her sketch. The amount of detail she put into the drawing would make a textbook be ashamed of itself for its own lack of detail in comparison. He had to force her to stop when he realized how much time had passed He had to make his way back to Twilight’s and if he let Lyra have her way he would be late getting back. Saying his goodbyes he started his march back to the library.

As he walked he could feel a new tingling sensation in his legs that had been ever so slowly creeping its way up. This new feeling had started about half way through Lyra’s questioning and sketching and was now about to his knee. Adam did not have a clue what was causing it but if he had to take a guess, he was running out of time.

----- The Library -----

Twilight stood in front of her friends, who had shown up early for the trip, looking at the luggage that each one had brought with them. She noticed that Rainbow and Applejack hadn’t brought anything with them like usual, while Fluttershy had a small saddle bag on her back same as Pinkie. When it came to Rarity however, she had packed enough for each one of them three times over. Twilight could only shake her head, know that there was no way she could convince the fashionista to reduce the amount of luggage she would be bringing.

She looked back at her collected friends before saying, “Now girls before Adam gets back I need to tell you all something.”

Applejack raised an eyebrow asking, “What is it sugarcube?”

“Well you see before Adam left this morning he asked me to cast a spell on him.”

She was quickly interrupted by her hyperactive pink friend’s stream of questions, “What kind of spell?! Did it make him super strong or super fast?! Did it give him the ability to jump over building in a single bound or x-ray vision?! Can he fly?!”

Rainbow Dash spoke up, “Pinkie, Adam already knew how to fly, if you want to even call that flying.”

Twilight gave a huff of irritation, “If you would just let me finish I would tell you. Now then as I was saying, I cast a spell on Adam that would-”

She was interrupted again but this time by the door behind her opening and a tall figure ducking into the room so that it wouldn’t hit its head on the doorframe. The expressions on her friends faces and their responses varied on each one.

Fluttershy quickly, “Eeped,” and fell over; stunned by the new creature.

Applejack seeing something possibly dangerous cried, “What in tarnation,” as she took an aggressive stance alongside Rainbow Dash who was glaring at the creature standing before them getting ready for a fight.

Rarity looked at it with wide eyes, frozen stiff into place.

Pinkie just waved yelling, “Hey Shifty, bring me anything?”

Twilight jumped into action before things could get any worse and shouted, “Wait girls, stop, its Adam. Remember from the photo? I cast a spell on him so that he could be in his human form.”

The look of recognition soon spread on each of the faces of her friends as the information sank in. The creature, that they now knew was Adam, shifted uneasily in place waiting.

He finally spoke, “Is everything alright, I’m not going to be jumped now am I?”

After watching all the ponies relax their posture around, did he finally ease his own stance. Looking around the room he soon came across the different piles of luggage that each pony was or wasn’t taking with them.

Adam glanced over to Rarity before asking, “Ever hear of packing light?”

“What do you mean darling, this is packing light.”

Adam pinched the bridge of his nose, he had the feeling that the rest of the day was going to be very long indeed.

“How did you say we were going to be getting to Canterlot again?”

Twilight brought the letter back up to her face, once again, replying, “It says that they will be coming to pick us up in cherriots. I just hope they brought enough for all of Rarity’s luggage, unlike last time.”

Rarity scoffed, “One must be ready for any occasion.”

“Annnyyyways, when are they suppose to be here? I want to get this over with, I don’t want to miss any chances that I might get to meet the Wonderbolts,” said Rainbow Dash as she went to the window, excitement evident in her body language.

Adam looked down at his watch and announced, “Well it is almost time so they should be here shortly.”

“Wait I see them flying over Ponyville now.”

Or they could be here now, I guess. Wasn’t much point in me checking the time.

Adam grabbed his gear and slung the bags onto his back, while he saw the others grab their things or help others with theirs. Adam, being the first to step outside, was met by a collection of pegasi guards in different stages of surprise at his appearance. Like the girls inside a few of them took offensive stances brandishing their spears, while some stood there wide-eyed and the last of them looked towards their superiors for guidance.

Adam shot them all a glare and yelled, “ OK, seriously I haven’t even done a damn thing and this is the second time a group of ponies have started acting aggressive towards me. Its really starting to piss me off.”

One of the pegasi stepped forward, Adam assumed he was in charge, and demanded, “Who and what are you and why are you here in Ponyville?”

“Well if ya’ll wish to know your going to have to ask nicely.” Adam could hear the door open behind him during the confrontation, but wasn’t going to react to the ponies joining in.

The pegasus snorted in rage and raised his spear, “You will tell us or we will force you to.”

Adam took a defensive stance and replied, “I would like to see ya try.”

From behind him he heard Twilight shout, “Enough, stop it all of you. Adam we have a schedule to keep up with and the princesses want to see you.”

The pegasus’ eyes widened at the mention of the creatures name and looked back at him. He then took a step back and stammered, “My apologies ambassador, I didn’t mean to be rude.”

“Yeah ya better be... Wait what did you just call me?”

“Princess Celestia has hereby granted Master Sergeant Adam Smith the title and privileges of ambassador of the United States of America.”

“Well fuck.”

“What is the matter darling,” asked Rarity walkin up to his side from the left while looking at him with concern.

Turning around he could see the different levels of concern and worry across all their faces, minus Pinkie of course. “From everything I have told ya’ll, when ya’ll look at me what do ya see?”

Twilight took a few steps forward saying, “Well from what you have told us about yourself and a little of your past, I would say a guard or in your case a soldier.”

“Exactly a soldier, NOT an ambassador or any other kind of representative. Talking to foreign dignitaries was never part of my job description and to top it off I was never a real big people person or in this case a pony person.”

“Don’t ya worry that sugarcube we’re here with ya.”

Thats really reassuring, he sarcastically thought.

Picking up his bags he turned back around and saw the collection of guards start heading towards the mountain that Rarity’s bags have formed and he could see the look of understanding in some of the older guard’s eyes as they passed him. The lead guard points them to the first cart while a second guard tries to take his bags.

“Sorry but I’m going to hang onto these, if you don’t mind,” Adam says to the guard as he jumps into the chariot before the guard can say anything.

The girls are not far behind as they each climb into the chariot too, Twilight sitting next to him followed by Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity. While Fluttershy positioned herself on the opposite end of the chariot farthest away from him. The guards quickly filled the second chariot with the luggage before getting into formation and putting on their harnesses. Shortly after they were set they took to the skies, the only thing Adam could think of that was anything like it was riding in a helicopter but without the sounds of the rotor blades spinning in the air above him. Looking ahead he began to study the castle and the lands that surrounded it, trying to gain as much intel with his eyes as he could, he never did like going on a mission with little intel.

The fact that the tingling sensation had made its way up to his neck didn’t help with his discomfort and only made him dread even more of what was to come. He finally decided to pull out his Ipod and use the earbuds as he continued his scan of the area ahead, tapping his fingers to the beat the entire time. The girls beside him were talking but he didn’t care to take out the earbuds to find out, they seemed to be enjoying themselves so he continued examining the layout of the city the closer they got to it. It wasn’t long until he felt a tap on his shoulder getting his attention.

Pulling out his earbuds he sees all the girls look at him, before he can say anything Twilight asks, “What are you listening to?”

“Music,” is all he replies getting a laugh from Rainbow Dash and just an eye roll from Twilight.

“Ok ,what kind of music?”

“Here, why don’t ya see for yourselves,” as he began to dig around in his bag for the speakers, only taking him a couple of seconds to hook everything up and hitting the replay button.

“Hay yeah, now that is more what I’m talking about,” exclaimed Rainbow Dash as she pumped a hoof in the air.

The others besides Pinkie seemed less as thrilled about the music but kept their opinions to themselves, except Fluttershy who was now hiding behind her own mane. He just shrugged and went back to his observations, from what he could see everything lead up to the castle, which sat behind high walls and guard towers. The buildings farther away from the castle were smaller but the closer you got the taller they became. There was even a river of water that ran alongside the walls that ended in a waterfall.

He was interrupted again but this time by one of the pegasi pulling them saying, “We will be landing just inside the castle walls. From there you will be escorted to the throne room to meet the princesses.” Sure enough they began to descend into a courtyard just inside, where a collection of guards stood at the ready to accept them.

Once they touched down and came to a stop the girls were the first to jump out and head for the doors, waiting only long enough for him to get out and catch up with them. He could see the excitement in the group, but from what he could see, none of them were anywhere near as excited as Twilight.

When they made it to the doors the guards took up formation around them causing the sense of unease to increase even more for Adam. He never took his eyes off them as they went, making a mental map of the turns they were taking so he could navigate better if he ever found himself alone.

Leaning over to Twilight he asked, “Why are you so excited?”

She looks up to him, a large smile spread across her face and says, “Well because of the duties the princesses have I am not always able to see them for my studies, being her student and all, but I also get to see my BBBFF.”

He raised an eyebrow and asked, “Uh, and what the hell is a BBBFF exactly?”

“Oh, sorry it stands for Big Brother Best Friends Forever. You see like the princesses, because of Shining Armor’s duties as the captain of the royal guard, I don’t get to see him that much either.”

“Woah woah woah, back up a moment. Your brother is the captain of the princesses’ royal guard?”

“Yes he is, he has been for the past two years and eleven months.”

“Your family is either very lucky or very talented, my guess is maybe a little of both.”

“Well either way we are here,” Twilight says as she lifts a hoof in the direction of the large wooden doors standing before them.

He took a deep breath as the guards began to open the doors giving him his first look into the throne room. From the first glance he saw that it was rather long with a red carpet leading all the way to the thrones where he can see two ponies sitting taller than any other ponies he had seen. The tallest of the two ponies was white with a mane that flowed with a combination of blues and pinks in some unknown wind while the other was slightly shorter and was a dark blue with a mane that reminded him of the night sky that too waved in an unknown wind. Along the walls were pillars holding up the roof that stood three stories above them and at every other pillar stood a guard in their golden armor and spear, standing at attention.

They started walking forward along the carpet at a reasonable pace, not that it felt that way to Adam but his nerves were shot as it was.

Thats probably why they made the room so long, for that bit of intimidation.

As they got closer to the two on the thrones he could make out the motherly smile that the taller one had, who he guessed was Celestia since it matched the description Twilight gave him. The smaller one, process of elimination making that one Luna, looked excited and having a little trouble staying still. He spots another guard, but unlike the others this one is wearing a purple armor that makes him stand out more than the others and on his flank is a shield with stars that are similar to that of Twilight’s.

It isn’t long before he finds himself at the base of the uprise that leads to the thrones, where they come to a stop. The girls each begin to bow while he does something different, he stands at attention, salutes and holds it. This seems to offend a few guards due to the fact that one begins to walk up to him with a leveled spear.

“You will show our princesses some respect.”

Before he could get too close however Celestia speaks, “It is alright, he is doing what he has been trained to do when in the presence of foreign dignitaries. Now please return to your station.”

The guard reluctantly backs away and returns to his post along the wall with a stoic expression like the others. Adam remained still, not responding to the advances of the guard beyond the slight twitch his hand made towards his sidearm.

Celestia looked back at the group and in a gentle voice said, “Rise my little ponies, and at ease Ambassador Smith.”

Twilight uses this opportunity to run up to the princess and nuzzle her leg in greeting, then waving to her brother as well.

“Ma’am I’m not an ambassador, I’m just a soldier,” he replies as he stands at ease but never letting his posture drop.

Celestia just seemed to smile even more at this, never taking his eyes off of him before asking, “Is it alright if I call you Adam?”

“Thats fine ma’am.”

“Adam from what I have read from the letters Twilight has sent, I was expecting you to be a pony. Do you care to explain?”

He felt his lip twitch slightly as he tried not to smile and said, “I got better.”

The ponies gave him confused looks while Pinkie fell to the ground in a fit of laughter.

“Well at least some one here gets my joke,” he looked down at her as she beat the ground with a hoof, “I think.”

Adam glanced back over to the second alicorn, from what he could remember from the books, was sitting there biting her lip. He could see the questions she had ready for him just wanting to pour out at any second.

Well isn’t she acting all cute.

What he didn’t expect was for her face to begin reddening and her to ask, “You really think so,” quickly wiping any trace of a smile that was beginning to appear on his face. If any of the ponies thought his back couldn’t get any straighter, they were dead wrong, as he shot to his fullest height and began to glare.

GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HEAD! He used the most threatening voice he could possibly think of in his anger.

He saw as she recoiled a bit from his mental shout, any thought not related to what was going on he quickly pushed away so as not to be seen.

“Now Adam,” Celestia said as she glanced over to her sister, who had now dropped her head down a bit with a sad look in her eyes, “before we start, I would like you to surrender all weapons you may have on your person at this time.”

“No, ma’am.”

His response was followed by a gasp and a large number of surprised and angered looks at his denial of the princess’ demand. In his anger he couldn’t care less about anyone there, they had just broke into his mind without him knowing like it was nothing, invading his most private of thoughts. He was beyond pissed.

“No,” asked Celestia with a raised brow, “what do you mean no.”

“I will not willingly hand over property of the United States government to a foreign power, especially one that I can’t trust and one that can pose a threat to my country’s security, that is what I fucking mean.” He wasn’t even going to try and hide his outrage, his last sanctity was just broken into without him even being aware, his anger wanted out and he would let it.

The room became deathly quiet as a group of guards began to advance on him, while he rested his right hand on the pistol on his thigh, ready to draw it out and fire if any came too close. Seeing that the situation had quickly come crashing down Celestia began to speak again, to calm everyone down again, but was interrupted before she could even utter the first syllable. The throne room was filled with the sounds of a blood curdling scream from Adam as he dropped to the floor pain evident on his face. Seeing an opening she used her magic and removed the rifle off his back, the knives off his chest along with the magazines and finally the pistol from his thigh and placed them all in a chest behind her.

Adam on the other hand continued to scream, feeling the pain from earlier come back. The pain was making him deaf to his surroundings and to the horror that covered the faces of every pony in the room. Twilight felt the worst of all the ponies knowing that this was her doing, it was her spell from that morning that was causing him all this pain. But just like last time, it ended just moments later with the pony version of himself laying on the ground in the fetal position, shaking uncontrollably.

Now that the pain has ended, his anger had returned but this time sadness followed as he looked at his forelegs. He made an effort to stand and found it difficult from the injury in his left leg from the wolves. The shape shifting had further aggravated the wound, letting him know he was on the verge of tearing his stitches.

The sound of talking brought Adam back to his current setting to see Celestia talking to him, “Now Adam we only wish to help you and I’m sorry that my sister offended you, though I don’t think she meant to do so. The only way we can help you though is if you cooperate with us. If you don’t mind, it would help us if you would show us what brought you here in the first place.”

Looking back at her with the anger and sadness still present he said, “THATS the problem, I don’t know what brought me here. There was an explosion and I woke up in the forest.”

“Then let us view the events that lead up to your appearance here and we can work from there,” as she spoke she kept her motherly smile to mask her emotions from him.

“And how do ya plan on doing that,” he asked in an irritated tone.

“It is a simple spell that we cast on you that shows us a memory of your choosing, and projects it onto a surface, like on a mirror.”

“Fine, if it will will speed things up and get me home I’ll show ya’ll what happened.”

Better than having to say it all out loud.

Celestia’s horn flared with her magic again as a full body mirror appeared between the two groups while Luna’s horn soon flared as well causing it to turn white.

Luna turned her attention away from the mirror and back to him and with a look of apology said, “I will cast a spell on you that will allow you to show everypony here the memory of your choosing. It is entirely up to you how much you would like to show us, but it would benefit you the most if you show us the entire memory to when you arrived.”

“Can someone else perform the spell, like Twilight?”

This seemed to hurt Luna as it showed on her face but it was Celestia who replied, “Luna is the best when it comes to a pony’s or in this case person’s mind and memories.”

Adam grumbled a little before he saw Luna’s horn flare again and her eyes close. The glow on her horn could also be seen covering him before fading to a point on his forehead.

“Now you just simply think of the memory and it will show and if you wouldn’t mind explaining what is going on would help too.”

Giving a deep sigh, he closed his eyes and thought of what lead up to everything. Opening his eyes slowly he saw five figures that he knew, all lined up alongside a door in a standard breaching formation.

“I was part of a six man sniper team that was to provide overwatch for a convoy heading back to base. We were to station ourselves in that building for the duration of the mission, while this is not something new to us, what made it different from a normal day was the suddenness of it all. We normally have would have some warning about these sort of things but not this one. The higher ups only gave us thirty minutes to suit up and be ready to move out and to top it off they allowed for more heavier equipment than what we usually take for these sort of things.”

In retrospect those should have tipped me off sooner that something was wrong.

He remained silent as he watched his memory unfold in front of him, it was different and felt odd seeing everything through his own eyes like a movie.

“In position,” said the man in the lead.

A voice out of view could be heard, “Flash and clear on my mark... Mark.”

The one in the lead cracked open the door and flung in a cylindrical device, whose meaning escaped the ponies until they saw a white flash and a loud bang. As soon as the device went off each person charged the room, starting with the first man, then Steve and then Adam, performing a sweeping motion as they entered.

The group remained quiet except for the occasional “clear” as they went from room to room of the five story building. Once the building had been secured a few of them went to the entrances and set up a few traps for any intruders that might try to sneak in on them. Everyone watched as they saw Steve and Adam walk up to the third floor and begin setting up their weapons and chat a little, mostly Steve. What was being discussed was of no importance, but just jokes and daily life stuff. Not seeing any of this being relevant to finding out how he got there, he decided to fast forward to him talking to Steve about his concerns.

Leaning over Adam says to Rainbow Dash, “Remember what I said about Abrams, well you're going to see one soon enough. They had one of them leading the convoy, don’t ask me why because I don’t know.”

The room was filled with the sound of a loud crack of a thunder like noise as the first round was fired by Adam in the memory, disabling the car. There was a sudden explosion of activity over the radio as enemies were being called out to both the snipers and the convoy nearing their position. His own voice could be heard now and again between shots as he spoke to the others and calling out his own targets.

A low rumble could soon be heard as the lead vehicle in the convoy came into view the tanks primary and secondary weapons firing into the enemy to clear a path for the rest. Its primary weapon tearing gaping holes in buildings as it goes, exposing or killing all those in its path. Something wasn’t right, there was something they weren’t telling him and lucky for him Luna didn’t have as good of a poker face as her sister.

He would regret looking back at the mirror, because at that moment was when the sniper round killed Steve. There was a collection of gasps from the girls and the sound of Fluttershy breaking down into hysterics from all the violence and death, it was taking every bit of his willpower to not have his own mental breakdown right there in that room.

What finally pushed him over the edge was the sound of his own screaming in the memory when he awoke in the Everfree. Images flashed across his vision of older memories resurfacing, each one being played on the mirror as well. The sounds of another foreign language being shouted as a knife is dragged across his chest, the images of a squad of his friends being blown away. Nothing he could do would make the thoughts and images stop.

“Make it stop, make it stop, make it stop,” he repeated at faster and faster speeds until it started to slurred into one, a cold sweat forming over his body and severe shaking.

“Luna,” Celestia cried out causing her to stop her spell.

He felt arms wrap around him and was about to fight them off until he heard the sounds of reassuring voices telling him that everything was going to be ok and tears soaking into his clothes from those grabbing him. Several minutes passed as he tried to calm down before any of the ponies spoke.

“I believe we will end this meeting for today, as my sister and I have many things that we need to think and discuss about now. Rooms have been set aside for each of you to stay in while you are here. We will see you all again at dinner.”

With that a pair of guards walked up and started escorting them to their respective rooms to rest, Adam followed with a slight limp due to the irritation to his wounded leg. When everyone was in brought to their rooms the guards took position outside Adam’s door ready to be called on for any reason.

Once inside Adam looked around the furnished room that would put a five star hotel to shame. There was a four poster bed two dressers a cabinet , a desk in front of the window and its very own bathroom. He set his bags next to the bed and went to the window to look out to find that he was in one of the towers, and a pretty high one too. As he stood in the window he thought about princess Luna’s behavior when watching his memories, there was something they weren’t telling him and he was going to get to the bottom of it but first he had something that needed to be taken care of.

He limped back over to the door and poked his head out to speak to the guards outside.

“Hey, I’m going to be listening to some music while I rest and its going to be very loud. I do not wish to be disturbed.”

“Yes sir,” was the only response that followed.

Closing the door and locking it he turned back to his bags and pulled out the to rifles and his maintenance kit. Before he even began to reassemble them though he pulled out his Ipod and attached the speakers to it, he planned on using them to cover up any noise he might make while working on them. Once he had finished setting up the Ipod and started up a song, he turned back to his rifles and got to work. It wasn’t long till he had completed his work and was now going to finish setting up the rest of his plan.

Opening the bag that contained the spare vest and helmet, he placed those around the bed as if they were removed and tossed aside. He then took a pillow and stuck it under the covers to look like someone was sleeping before heading back over to the bags. From there he removed the grenades, a couple of claymores and magazines that were inside and placed them in his vest pockets. After removing those items he then slung the two rifles across his back, forming an ‘X’ in between his wings, making sure they remained out of the way when he flapped.

I said I wasn’t going to let them take all my weapons and I plan on sticking to it. I just need to find a safe place for them until I can collect them again.

He couldn’t exit out through the doors, so that just left him the windows. Opening the window he looked out and down, it was quite a ways down but he was confident in his gliding abilities at least to make it down, the only problem was the landing. He was going to have to get to the ground quickly so as not to be spotted, he stuck out too much with his gear.

With one final breath he jumped out the open windows and started the descent back down. When he was only a few feet above ground he leveled off so he wouldn’t crash and looked back up at the window he just left, a smirk creeping along his face. He turned his head back forward, when he came face to face with a garden full of trees. Only one thing went through his mind before impact and loss of consciousness.

Fuck trees.

Author's Note:

Well I said I would have the chapter up either on Monday or Tuesday and that was the plan but then my laptop died. So here it is. The wait for the next chapter will be much shorter than this one(it is already being edited as I speak). Give me a shout on what ya'll think and any problems that there are. I have even more good news, I have finished the chapter after next too so there will be quick updates.

And like always I would like to give a shout out to my editors:
Masterbrony2012
Wubwave