• Published 20th Apr 2023
  • 2,379 Views, 289 Comments

Hogwarts: Sunset's Legacy - witegrlninja

  • ...
8
 289
 2,379

PreviousChapters Next
In Which Our Heroine Tackles the Trial of Wisdom

With Anne's curse fully active again, Sebastian and I began our experiments in earnest.

We started small, still cautious of the relic's power even though it wasn't supposed to be very effective outside of its catacomb. The purpose of these tests was to determine the nature of the dark sacrifice, starting with the most obvious possibilities. After casting Mucus ad Nauseam on a caged rat placed next to it, first we levitated valuable objects of increasing rarity towards the relic - a stack of Galleons, a pile of gemstones, a mermaid artifact I'd stolen from Nerida, an Umbrum Crystal - then we took turns reading the curse dispersal incantation in Slytherin's spellbook out loud. Nothing happened, so we could at least rule out material offerings. The other usual sacrifice involved with objects of such a dark nature was tested next - a victim's life force.

Another caged rat was levitated beside the relic. No sooner than Sebastian spoke the last word in the incantation, the sacrificial subject squealed in agony and dropped dead. We swallowed nervously; a diagnostic charm performed on the cursed rat showed that - indeed - the curse had been fully dispelled. A promising result, but this was merely a small-scale experiment. We'd need to repeat it on larger test subjects to determine the minimum threshold of life the relic would accept.

It was a good thing Poppy wasn't privy to our plans... she'd probably gut me like a fish if she knew I was using rats to run the tests. As regrettable as the loss of animal life was, however, it was standard protocol to use something small and expendable rather than jumping straight to human testing. Going to an Ashwinder or poacher camp, disabling them somehow without harming them too much, securing them against breaking free and sneaking them back into the castle was definitely the final step in the process, but just such an undertaking needed a little more preparation. We needed to make absolutely sure they'd stay under our control and couldn't escape into the castle. I mean... these criminals wouldn't exactly be missed, but it was still extremely illegal, after all. Experimentation on innocent(ish) humans had to be worth at least a couple years in Azkaban.

The days passed. After ruling out every other possible sacrifice we could think of, we agreed that the only one the relic would accept was something's life force. Knowing this made the both of us uneasy... it was only natural to begin assuming a human life would be necessary to dispel a curse as serious as Anne's. Slowly we increased the severity of the curse afflicted on the rats, and tried decreasing the size of the sacrificial target, the results somewhat varying. It would take time to find the least problematic ratio of curse to sacrifice.

Besides homework and studying for our approaching OWLs, and my own further experimentation with ancient magic, we barely spent any time on anything else. The only break we took was on Ominis' birthday, which was February the 21st. He didn't want anything elaborate; just dinner at the Three Broomsticks and simple gifts of candy and Zonko's tat. Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos even got him a dead squirrel, which was... sweet for a three-headed snake.

~

At last, on the first day of March, the Polyjuice Potion was ready to use - I could finally access the next trial. In the morning I had a quick word with Fig to let him know, then after History of Magic Sebastian and I quickly made our way to the Undercroft to bottle the horrendous-looking sludge, bringing it straight to the Magic Theory classroom's office.

"So, you've got some of Headmaster Black's hair or whatever?" I asked, holding the vial of nearly black gloop at arm's length - the smell had gradually gotten worse the longer it brewed. At this point, if I hadn't gotten used to it, it'd probably make me start retching.

"Right here," said Fig, producing three strands of oily dark gray hair from a folded handkerchief. One of them even still had the root attached to it; I chose to use that one and gingerly picked it up. "Now, time is of the essence... drink up."

"Right..." I carefully dropped the hair into the vial, my face screwing up into a grimace as the muddy liquid inside changed to become a thin, foamy green that reminded me of pond scum. I glanced over to the others before plucking up some courage... and swallowing down the thick saliva already coating my throat. Both of them were watching with bated breath, sickened and intrigued.

This better be worth it.

"Welp... bottoms up," I mumbled, lifting the vial to my lips. I tried to drink the potion as quickly as possible so I wouldn't have to taste it much, but...

...OH SWEET CELESTIA, THAT'S NASTY!

It tasted like sour cream mixed with soap, rotten apples and just a hint of denatonium benzoate. I had to force myself to swallow the dose, the vial dropping to the floor and shattering as I desperately clasped my hands over my mouth in an attempt to not throw up and waste all that effort. Knowing that I was going to gain even more ancient magic was likely the only thing that helped me keep it down.

But then my insides started writhing, as though a crazed ferret had wiggled inside my guts and was trying to claw itself free. A nauseating moist heat radiated from my stomach outwards, down both my arms and legs, then quickly morphed into a sensation like I was a candle being tossed into a fireplace. Throughout it all I could hear my bones cracking and knitting back together, feel my muscles tearing themselves apart and mending again, the entire transformation reminding me of the painful trip through the Crystal Mirror so many months ago. My eyes watered and stung, and I tried my hardest to muffle my screams in case anyone else was nearby. While Sebastian watched with a deeply worried expression, Fig simply waved his wand to Transfigure my clothes into an exact copy of Black's usual outfit.

Finally, the nausea and pain subsided. By the time I could open my eyes again, I found myself quite a bit taller than I used to be.

"How do you feel?" Fig asked expectantly. First I looked at my hands, unnerved to see them so fat, rough and calloused, then touched my palms to my cheeks and felt my new facial hair.

"Oh... oh, this is... this is weird," I mouthed in shock as I continued to grope at myself. I even sounded like Headmaster Black, my voice had changed entirely. It was like discovering myself after first being transformed into a human all over again.

"Well, you certainly sound like Headmaster Black," confirmed Sebastian, still mildly worried and repulsed by my transformation. Honestly, I couldn't blame him one bit.

"Yes, most convincing," hummed Fig. "Now, as we discussed you'll need the password from Scrope, who could be anywhere in the castle. You might look for Madam Kogawa - she's taken to badgering the poor elf about Quidditch in the hopes that he can convince Black to change his mind... thus far unsuccessfully."

"Alright... and you'll take care of the real Black for me?" I tilted my head at first when I asked, but then decided to lean forward with an imposing stare, trying to get into character. From what I knew of Changeling espionage, the drones that weren't discovered went the extra mile to copy even their mark's most subtle mannerisms, such as their gait and tone of voice.

"I have told him we're to meet a liaison from the Ministry in Hogsmeade," Fig nodded. "That should give you plenty of time."

"Ah, if you're going to the Three Broomsticks or Hog's Head, then you should buy him a shot or two of Campbell's Finest Old Whisky," suggested Sebastian. "I've heard from Ominis that he can't resist the stuff. Once he's properly buggered, he won't suspect a thing when your liaison never shows up."

"I see," Fig lifted a hand to his chin in thought, "...An excellent idea, Mr. Sallow."

"Well, I think it's a rubbish idea!" I grinned while imitating the Headmaster as best I could. "What in Merlin's name are you suggesting, Mr. Sallow? Getting me, Headmaster Black, drunk and vulnerable and ruining my sterling reputation?! I should think making you my personal assistant for a week will show you just how important I really am!" He blinked in astonishment a few times before opening his mouth.

"...That was frighteningly accurate."

"That was the idea," I huffed with pride. "So, I guess I'll see you later then, Fig."

"Take care, Sunset," Fig replied, grabbing a cloak from a nearby coat rack. "I'll lure Black out now, it should only take a few minutes until you can begin your search." After he left the office I spent about ten minutes practicing the Headmaster's mannerisms, wanting to be sure my disguise was foolproof. Once I was ready, Sebastian peeked out through the door to make sure no one was in the halls so I could leave without any suspicion. Just before leaving the classroom himself, however, he cast Disillusionment on himself, the modified charm leaving himself partially visible to me.

"Ah, you're tagging along?" I smirked.

"But of course," he replied. "An opportunity like this doesn't come often... it would be a shame if our illustrious Headmaster didn't cause some grief whilst searching for his house elf. Not to mention, I've always wondered what fun things he might have in his office..." I nodded thoughtfully, the corners of my mouth pulling downwards as I mulled it over, eventually spreading into a cruel smile.

"Oh, Sebby... I love the way you think sometimes."

"Am I not a genius?" he raised his head with a smug grin. I stifled a chuckle and cleared my throat.

"Well, then... follow me, Mr. Sallow." Hearing his careful footsteps behind me, I started down the hallway. As it was getting close to dinner time, there was hardly anyone around. No other students to terrify with just my mere presence alone.

But presently, I did come across someone that gave me a little worry. "Headmaster... a moment of your time, please." Turning my head I saw Professor Sharp approaching, and I frowned inwardly. What did he want? I hoped it wasn't something only Black would have knowledge of. Nevertheless, I kept up my appearance. "I was hoping to catch you, I-"

"Sharp! Make it snappy, for I have places to be!" I answered brusquely, hiding a smile as he quickly stood up just a little bit straighter.

"Of course, sir... only, you'd asked me about a particular potion, and I... well, I..." Judging by how uncomfortable he looked, now I was deeply curious what this potion was meant for.

"...I did, didn't I?" I sneered. "Well, spit it out, Sharp, I don't have all day."

"Er... probably best not to discuss it here, sir," he muttered in a hushed voice, glancing from side to side down the halls. The only others nearby were a cluster of 4th-years talking amongst themselves, occasionally looking in our direction - it wasn't often the Headmaster was seen wandering around the castle.

"Psh, please... I assure you, Sharp, you may speak freely," I grinned haughtily, waving a hand. Sharp swallowed nervously and took a deep breath. I had to admit, I rather liked being able to boss him around with no repercussions, and the same would likely be true for the others.

"Very well... I've brewed the Cure for Boils you wanted. I can drop it by your office when it's convenient." Behind me I heard Sebastian guffaw suddenly, which nearly broke my own wavering composure. I heard giggling from the group of 4th-years as well.

Boils, huh? Well, that's embarrassing... I think the entire school ought to know about this little revelation.

"Ah... I-I see." I forced my mouth into a thin line. "Well, there's no need for all the cloak and dagger... simply have a student deliver it." The 4th-years laughed a little more, now thoroughly focused on the two adults in the area.

"A student..." Sharp repeated slowly in disbelief - though his body language was stiff and wary, I could see the faintest hint of a mischievous twinkle in his eye. "...Very well, sir. If you insist."

"I do, and thank you! I just hope you've brewed enough for all my boils." A sudden thought came to mind, nearly forcing a laugh out of me from how hilarious it was. "Ah... say, Sharp, um... would you happen to have anything that can get rid of the clap?" Sebastian blew a raspberry as he quickly stifled his laughter from behind a corner.

"I'll... see what I can do," the professor replied, eyeing me with newfound disgust while the 4th-years were trying their hardest not to start screaming with laughter.

"Perfect," I smirked. "Well, no time like the present, Sharp! I'm awfully itchy in places it would be most improper to itch in public!" Sharp stared at me for a good ten seconds, a mixture of revulsion and secondhand embarrassment plain on his face.

"...Very well," he sighed as he turned and walked away, muttering under his breath. "Now to determine which student gets this rather unenviable task..." At the same time the 4th-years conspicuously retreated down the halls, no doubt on their way to tell their classmates about what they'd just heard. Once they were all out of earshot Sebastian allowed himself to cackle, needing to hold himself up against a wall.

"Oh, Merlin... that was absolutely wicked!" he gasped, struggling to breathe. "You're a bloody natural!" First making sure that no one else was around, I let myself laugh a little along with him.

"That was fun. Oh, what else can I get the rest of the school to think about me?" I grinned devilishly, regaining my composure. "I'm gonna make everyone I come across hate my guts by the time this potion wears off."

And the next opportunity presented itself at the end of the hallway, just after turning the corner. "Ooh, there's Garreth," Sebastian chuckled. The Gryffindor boy in question was chatting with a couple of his friends. His back was to me, so I crept up as quietly as I could manage in Black's heeled boots, watching as his friends fell silent and stared in terror, waiting until I was right behind him to speak.

"Mr. Weasley!" I boomed, startling him. "What are you doing here? Don't you have somewhere to be?"

"Oh, H-Headmaster!" Garreth swallowed as he caught his breath. "Yes, of course... all sorts of places I'd rather be right now. Uh... do you need something from me?"

"Just whatever remains of those Billywig Stings you... acquired from Honeydukes," I glared pointedly, remembering the latest scheme he'd loudly bragged about in Potions class a couple weeks ago. "Mr. Redding tells me that some of his inventory has gone missing. Prime potion ingredient, they are... and I know you fancy yourself a 'skilled' potioneer," I taunted.

"What?!" he blinked in horror, his face turning white. "But sir, I haven't been anywhere near Honeydukes! I-"

"Used them all, have you? Mm, I do hope for your sake that Mr. Redding is not the litigious type," I grinned coldly, watching him squirm under my gaze. "I'm watching you, Mr. Weasley... I have eyes and ears everywhere." I sneered cruelly at him and continued on my way, pausing for a moment when I heard him grumbling under his breath.

"Billywig stings...I wish. Blasted Shimmer got me Blind-worm stings instead... my skin was gray and I smelled of cheese for a week straight."

Ha! You're lucky I didn't get you Mackled Malaclaw tips instead! I chortled to myself as he whined to his friends, proud of a job well done.

"...So that's what happened to him last week," Sebastian murmured. "...Bravo."

"And the sad thing is, he keeps asking for my help," I snickered. "He doesn't learn." We continued through the castle, soon coming across more students on their way to the Great Hall. Many of them stopped in their tracks once they saw that the Headmaster was among them, and stared vacantly at me. I made a show of acting supremely disappointed. "When I witness what passes for magic in these halls, I weep for the future of the wizarding world."

That got the majority of them to groan and begin moving again. As the crowds parted, I spotted Ominis going towards the doors that led to the large stone bridge that connected the schooling parts of the castle to the dormitories and Great Hall. He was on his way outside, probably to get some food. While Sebastian and I quietly strode up behind him, something happened that I'd... honestly wondered how often it happened before, yet never expected from his wand.

We watched as poor Ominis walked face-first into the wall right next to the left double door. His wand clattered to the floor as he rubbed his forehead.

"Ow, fuck," he hissed under his breath. It took everything I had within me to not double over with laughter... behind me Sebastian pounded his fist on the floor as he huffed hysterically, desperate not to make a sound.

"Tut-tut, Mr. Gaunt! Watch your language!" I chided, glad that I didn't have to hide my gleeful smile from him. "Where do you think you're going?"

"O-Oh, Headmaster," Ominis immediately straightened up after reclaiming his wand, adopting a meek expression. "I-I'm simply on my way outside."

"Is that so? Are you heading to the Great Hall for supper?" After watching him bonk his face like that, I didn't quite have the heart to mess with him... although being the perfect paragon of politeness to him was also probably extremely unnerving and good for a laugh.

"Er, no, sir... I have to write twenty inches on dittany and its uses. Was heading to the greenhouses," he answered carefully.

"Ah, yes," I hummed, recalling that same Herbology assignment from Tuesday. Sebastian and I had knocked that out during lunch that same day. "Dittany: a powerful healing herb that also has its uses in curing werewolf bites when mixed with powdered silver, preventing the scarring of wounds, or as the core of a wand. You can also use the vapors in a pinch if you need something flammable."

"Oh..." Ominis stood motionless for a few seconds, dumbfounded. "...T-Thank you, Headmaster, I had actually forgotten all about using dittany stalks as wand cores. I'm, er... appreciative of your help."

"Think nothing of it, Mr. Gaunt," I nodded once. "Carry on, and mind the corners... I'm sure you'll do splendidly on your OWLs."

"...Thank you, sir?" He blinked multiple times despite the action not doing much for him at all, then slowly opened the doors to head outside. Once he was gone Sebastian couldn't hold it in any longer, a disembodied giggle echoing from a nearby corner.

"I knew it," he crowed proudly, "Ominis insists he's too prim and proper to ever swear, but now I have proof!"

"To think all it took was him whacking his face on a wall," I smirked. "Poor guy... does that happen often?"

"No, not often at all. Consider yourself lucky to witness such a rarity." Feeling bolstered, I threw open the double doors myself and strode outside. Sparse snowflakes danced in the late-winter wind as students wandered across the bridge, loitering along the railings or talked in groups. Many of them looked my way at the sound of the doors being thrown open, and I flashed a wide grin.

"As you were, you little sad sacks," I barked, passing them by. "...Miss Broke! If you keep pestering your classmates with those infernal Gobstones of yours, I shall steal them myself! Are we clear?"

"Aah! Sorry, sir!" Zenobia jumped in place. A few seconds later she muttered that her last name was really "Noke", but it wasn't like I or the real Black gave a damn. I had more important things to worry about - in the center of the bridge stood Madam Kogawa, who immediately started walking in my direction once her eyes fell upon me. I hid a sigh as best I could - Scrope wasn't pestering her like Fig had suggested. Hopefully she knew where he was.

"Headmaster, a word?" she asked firmly. "It is not too late to reconsider your decision regarding Quidditch! We... we could still have trials and a somewhat-shortened season, it would be better than none at all."

"Agh, Kogawa," I groaned. What is it with Quidditch, anyway? It's such a stupid sport. "Aren't you forgetting the dire injury one of our students suffered last year?"

"...More than one student has taken a Bludger to the head on our pitch," she replied with an unimpressed glare. "I daresay it knocked some sense into them... And they're fine now! The fact that they happened to be a pureblood... well, that's no reason to-"

"It's all the reason to, Kogawa!" I gasped, gesturing grandly. "My precious purebloods must not be harmed! Especially not by playing that asinine game."

"A-Asinine?!" she stuttered, her face turning red. "Ugh, you're simply impossible sometimes, sir! I've a good mind to write to the Department of Magical Games and Sports at the Ministry about you!"

Ho-ho! I've struck a nerve! "You do that," I grinned. "I'll even lend you my own personal stationery. Now, do make yourself at least somewhat useful, and tell me: where is my elf?"

Madam Kogawa stared at me incredulously for a few moments, too incensed to speak. "I will... and with great pleasure!" she hissed. "As for Scrope, I last spotted him in the Great Hall... seems to be avoiding me."

"I wonder why," I replied sarcastically. While she fumed even more, I was struck by another great idea; my mouth twisted into a lascivious grin as I leered at her. "...I must say, Kogawa, you're rather... ravishing when you're furious. Might I interest you in a drink later on? In the privacy of my personal study, of course."

I heard Sebastian wheeze with laughter behind me. Her glare could have served as a substitute for a Glacius spell.

"Ex-cuse you, Black!" Kogawa snarled, raising her hand for a moment as if she was going to slap me. "Such dishonorable, reprehensible behavior! What underhanded motions did you take to become the Headmaster of this school?!"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" I wiggled my eyebrows. "Good day, Madam... I'm afraid I'm indisposed for the rest of this evening, shall I expect you at, say, 9pm tomorrow?" For a few seconds there, I genuinely thought she might cast an Unforgivable on me. But suddenly Kogawa's body shifted and relaxed, displaying a calm rage that simmered beneath the surface like boiling pure water.

"...Yes. That would do... just fine," she replied, her voice as cold as night. "Good day, sir." And with that ominous farewell she passed me and walked away. The nearby students that had heard the exchange were now engaged in frantic, disbelieving gossip.

"...I think you may have just signed Black's death warrant," muttered Sebastian.

"Eh, just means we'll get a new Headmaster, and they can't be much worse than him, can they?" I shrugged, continuing across the bridge. A minute or two later I'd made it to the other half of the castle, the Great Hall only a few hundred feet away.

But then I saw Cressida Blume talking with Nellie Oggspire and Samantha Dale, and I couldn't help myself. "Miss Broom! A word," I thundered, making all three of them jump.

"Oh, Headmaster," Cressida exhaled. "This is an interesting surprise... it's Blume, by the way..."

"Whatever," I waved a hand. "Remind me of your areas of expertise, Broom... OWLs are fast approaching."

"Charms, sir," she answered quickly. "Nonverbal spells... might work on one that makes me disappear," she added under her breath.

"Oh please... we all know what a disaster you are at nonverbal spells," I scoffed. "Even if you had an additional five years of practice, you could never cast them as well as... Miss Shimmer, that simply stupendous classmate of yours." All three girls groaned at my name, bringing a smile to my face.

"Ugh, not Sunset," Cressida growled. "I'll never forgive her for the library incident. She once offered to help me find my books... next thing I know she's read through my diary, made copies of every page, made them gigantic and then plastered them all over the Fat Lady's portrait!"

"I told her about the Daedalian Keys, and suggested she catch one to open one of the enchanted cabinets they guard," commiserated Nellie. "The very next day, a huge swarm of the keys suddenly surrounded me, and they kept swooping down and striking me for hours! It was a wonder I didn't get a concussion! And if I tried to Vanish them away, they Transfigured themselves into rainclouds instead!"

"She overheard me telling Mahendra about the family tomb's curse turning William's feet into beets," whined Samantha. "For over a week, every time I looked away, she'd Transfigure something of mine into a beet! Once she even Transfigured the very blouse I was wearing!"

"Well... it seems the three of you have quite a bit of catching up to do," I smirked, resisting the urge to laugh in their faces. "Sounds to me like Miss Shimmer is on track to become your year's valedictorian!" While they lamented the day they'd crossed paths with me, I roughly brushed past them and reentered the castle. Only two sets of doors separated me from the Great Hall and Scrope now.

However, I did notice that my ever-present shadow was silent. I glanced back to make sure Sebastian was still there - he was simply staring at me with a pensive look. "...What?"

"Er, well... I can appreciate the flying keys prank, and Blume did deserve to have her distasteful secrets exposed, but constantly Transfiguring Samantha's things into beets... well, that one was a bit... eh."

He did have a point. "...Yea, that one was a bit uninspired. Couldn't really think of anything else to mess with her," I shrugged. "I will admit that slapping all those keys around was pretty cathartic, though."

"Hmm." His emotions weren't exactly ones of admonishment or reprehension, it was more like he was trying to think of something else I could've done instead. While he pondered on that, I opened the doors to the antechamber just before the Great Hall...

...And sighed when Professor Weasley turned away from examining the four house point hourglasses and approached me. If anyone could possibly see through my disguise, it was likely her... I'd need to really focus on my acting.

"Headmaster, I need to speak to you," she frowned.

"Ah, yes, Weasley... while I have your attention, I wished to discuss something with you about Professor Fig," I quickly changed the subject from whatever it was she might've wanted to say.

"Oh? Uh... very well," she shrugged slightly. In the meantime, one of the sentient suits of armor lining the walls decided that this was the best time to begin bludgeoning the one next to it with its sword, yet somehow both of us managed to ignore it.

"Yes... I've decided to let him have a little more leeway with his time."

"Leeway, sir? Are you sure that's wise?" she tilted her head. "I confess I do worry for his students, he's rarely here as it is."

"Ah, they'll be fine," I waved a hand. "Magic Theory is merely an elective, after all, and it's only for the first years! How in-depth could he possibly go? If his students cannot sufficiently learn from the texts and their own research, then that failure is on them."

"I... see," Weasley turned her head away from me with a baffled, discontent expression. "But sir, if I may... I am wary of how much time Miss Shimmer seems to be spending away from the castle, supposedly on Professor Fig's behalf. I've heard unsettling rumors of her escapades, everything from sneaking into the Forbidden Forest to confronting Ranrok's Loyalists and Rookwood's lot! And that's not even including what she gets up to with her friends... Why, even now it would seem that she was responsible for Aranshire's utter destruction, all because of a spider infestation!"

Hmm... I wonder how much you truly know, I frowned to myself. But unfortunately I had no time to pry further, not when I was so close to my goal. "Bah... rumors, Weasley," I shook my head dismissively. "Goodness, you cannot believe every little piece of gossip you hear. Perhaps someone a bit more... level-headed ought to watch over Fig. I shall keep an eye on him. You just... keep doing the simply wonderful job that you're doing."

"I, uh... I, erm... thank you," she stammered, clearly never expecting to hear gratitude from Headmaster Black, backhanded or not. "But I am happy to look into-"

"Good, good," I cut in, already walking past her. "That will be all, Weasley. Good day."

"...Was it just me, or did you also see that one suit of armor assault the other?" Sebastian whispered as we approached the doors, far away enough from Professor Weasley that she couldn't hear us. She stood frozen in the center of the room while she mumbled to herself in confusion.

"A 'wonderful' job? Leeway for Professor Fig...? I shall never understand that man."

"No, it wasn't just you... wonder what he did to deserve that." Finally I pushed open the doors to the Great Hall, spying Scrope at the very front. He was busy polishing the decorative lectern sitting in front of the professors' table, where only Garlick and Howin were currently eating and talking with each other. Passing between the Ravenclaw and Gryffindor tables, I could hear Sebastian and I's names being mentioned - particularly because word about the infestation in Aranshire had gotten around, and thanks to Crispin everyone knew we were the ones who had, uh... fixed the problem. The fact that what little was left of the hamlet had burned to the ground inside a giant crater was incidental at best.

"Scrope!" I shouted as I quickened my pace slightly. Unlike the others I'd accosted, the house elf barely twitched at my outburst. He was clearly used to being addressed in such a manner.

"Greetings, master," he replied amicably as he set down the polishing rag.

"Yes, yes... now, remind me of the password to my office," I ordered. Scrope frowned.

"Oh, but... master made Scrope swear never to tell anyone. Even master himself."

He did? Crap. Okay, I'll just have to... get more in character. "How dare you question me?!" I gasped angrily. "Why, I've half a mind to give you a matching set of ears!"

"Er, yes, sir... of course, sir," the elf sighed, not at all phased by the threat. "...Scrope begs forgiveness. It is the Black family motto, master."

"Ah, yes..." Hm, alright... that's not much to go off of. "...And exactly what is that motto?" I drawled, glaring down at the elf.

"Hmm... Scrope thinks master is indeed testing Scrope," he muttered to himself. "It is 'always pure'."

Oh. Duh, I mentally smacked myself. "Obviously," I nodded curtly.

"And, of course, as master knows... in French."

Oh for crying out loud... "But of course! ...I order you to pronounce it for me."

"Ugh, master knows Scrope's French is most pitiful," he grumbled before clearing his throat. "Er, very well... 'Toujours pur.'"

Too-jzhoor pyoore... alright, simple enough. I allowed myself a slight grin now that I had the password. "Yes, very good. Now, this conversation never happened, Scrope! Not unless you want to lose that other ear of yours," I warned, tying off the loose end. "Continue with your duties."

"But of course, master," he sighed in a bored tone. He moved away to begin washing the stained glass window behind the professors' table. Seeing the lectern shining and unattended gave me another idea, and I cleared my throat as I stood behind it.

"Attention, students! I hereby decree that the Great Hall be forthwith decorated with the stunning banners of Slytherin." I swished my wand subtly behind the lectern; a din of confusion rose from three of the four tables as the banners materialized themselves, hanging from the ceiling. The Slytherin table was silent for a moment before timidly celebrating. "I shall be taking no questions at this time... or ever." Just as I swished my wand again, suddenly a most unladylike belch erupted from my throat. While the students laughed, a steak knife on the Gryffindors' table rose into the air, then quickly began floating over to each student's plate one by one, shredding whatever meat was on them into tiny pieces.

Ooh, just in time... the potion's starting to wear off. "Also... tunnel snakes rule," I managed to sneer before letting out another burp, this time covering my mouth.

"Uh oh, we'd better get you somewhere secluded," Sebastian mumbled in concern. "The potion's wearing off."

"I know," I nodded, swallowing down another burp. We walked briskly away from the tables and across the room to the staircase tucked away in a corner, which led to a storage area and balcony that overlooked the Great Hall. I ducked behind some crates, already feeling the painful sensations of my body morphing back into myself while he kept watch.

Finally, the pain ended about a minute later. I conjured up a mirror to check that nothing had gone wrong; once I was satisfied I Transfigured my clothing back into their original forms, then Vanished the mirror away and stepped out from behind the crates.

"I can't believe that actually worked," he sighed in relief.

"Me either," I agreed. "Now, let's get to that office." Since nobody would question the two of us together, Sebastian cancelled his Disillusionment charm. We left the storage area and walked as quickly as we could manage directly to the Headmaster's Office. It was at the very top of the Grand Staircase, past the trophy room and through a lonely, ornate corridor flanked by griffon statues. At the very end was an empty chamber that stretched further upwards, blocked by a massive gargoyle statue that couldn't be passed by any other mundane or magical means.

"Well, this is it," he said. "Would you like to do the honors?" I nodded and cleared my throat.

"...Toujours Pur." The plinth beneath the gargoyle suddenly extended into the air, the gargoyle on top rotating as stairs materialized along its length. Once it had stopped moving we ascended, the final stair leading directly into the office. We stopped for a moment and admired the lavish furniture, the thick, plush rugs and colorful tapestries, bookshelves filled with rare tomes and the undoubtedly valuable decorations. The Sorting Hat sat inside of a case to the right, and the desk in the very center of the room held gilded shelves that contained Black's personal stationery, as well as a set of cut crystal glasses on a silver tray with a matching decanter full of amber liquid. Other than one large mirror, numerous enchanted portraits of Headmasters and mistresses past were hung over every possible free space of wall, all of their subjects sound asleep - their snoring produced a calming ambience.

One of them was wide awake, however. "It's good to see you," Headmistress Fitzgerald smiled as I approached.

"Likewise," I said. "So, how do I access this trial?"

"Approach the pedestal in the antechamber and read the book that appears," she answered. I blinked uncomfortably... my next trial was a book? I was just gonna read something?

No, there had to be more to it than that. "And... what's this book about?" I asked.

"A story... I cannot say more," she shook her head. "You may recognize some elements of it, although..."

"Although... what?" I raised an eyebrow.

"When I was preparing your trial, I felt a sudden... change within its pages," she explained. "Originally the trial was inspired by a tale with which many wizarding children are familiar, but now its contents are entirely different. However, I still suspect that the lesson to be learned is the same, so I am content with you moving forward."

"I see," I hummed, wondering what on earth that could possibly mean. Either way, I knew I could handle this trial. "Alright, then... I'm sure there's more to it than just reading."

"Your suspicions are correct," Fitzgerald nodded. "We shall speak when you are finished." And with that she moved out of her portrait, leaving it empty.

"Well, as far as trials go, this one seems rather simple," commented Sebastian as he idly picked up a piece of parchment from Black's desk and read it. It was a receipt for a number of beauty products and personal items, mostly paid for by the Ministry. A curious hum passed through his lips as he began poking through the desk's drawers.

"Yea... which probably means I'll be killing even more things than a castle full of Dark wizards this time," I sighed as I ascended a short staircase to the aforementioned antechamber. It was completely empty except for the altar-like pedestal, upon which a plain leatherbound book materialized into view in a swirl of blue-white magic. "Well, time to start reading, I guess. I'll let you know when I'm done."

"Take your time... I certainly shall," he grinned as he extracted a bottle of hair tonic from one of the drawers and gave it an experimental sniff. I took a deep breath and exhaled before opening the book to its first page, my lips thinning as I found it to be blank.

Suddenly I felt a pulling sensation, weak at first but rapidly growing in strength, until I actually felt myself being lifted off the ground. I tried to shout in alarm, but my voice was cut off as my vision filled with parchment, then darkness. Sebastian came dashing up the stairs only to see my lower half disappear into the book, which then clapped itself shut and fell dormant.

...

...

...

"...Huh."

~

When I opened my eyes, it was not a dark, endless hallway I found myself in. Instead... frankly, I had no clue where I was.

All around me was an empty void, painted in shades of shimmering teal. The air was perfectly still and cold, as though total entropy had been achieved in this pocket of space. Cautiously I took a step forward after realizing I was somehow standing on nothing - I could walk.

Faint lights like ghosts swirled past and around me as I walked, twinkling with a familiar blue-white glow that radiated warmth. I followed after them, finding after a while that they were all swarming towards one specific point up far ahead, gathering together and growing in size and temperature until eventually, the heat felt like I was outside on a warm summer's day.

When I had come within twenty feet of the light, it suddenly pulsed. I shielded my eyes and tried to fight against the brightness... and gasped when I did.

Immediately, I drew my wand.

"Hello, Sunset," the light greeted softly and somberly as it faded away, revealing someone I hadn't seen in months... or, rather, somepony.

"Princess," I regarded her brusquely, never taking my eyes off of her. To my surprise, her calm, regal expression fell slightly... she seemed almost disappointed.

"...You know there is no need for you to use such formalities with me," Celestia bowed her head as she took two steps closer - seeing me raise my wand towards her barrel stopped her in her tracks.

"What do you want?" I growled. "Are you here to fight me again? Are you here to keep me from my power, my ancient magic... again?" She hesitated, regarding me with eyes full of sorrow and regret.

"No," she finally said.

"Then why are you here? I have a trial to complete... I don't have time to waste with you."

"I know," Celestia sighed as she turned her head, her horn glowing as she gave it a simple flick. I sank down further into a defensive stance to prepare for whatever sneak attack she was planning, whatever treachery she may try to inflict on me next. It was to my surprise that all that happened was the appearance of another plain, leatherbound book, hovering in midair between us. "I know not what magic calls me here," she continued. "But I count it as a blessing. There is much I wish to say to you, my dearest student."

"Don't call me that," I snapped, raising my wand again. "You lost that right when you threw me out." Celestia flinched, as though I had struck her... and it had actually hurt.

"...So I did. Forgive me."

I straightened up a little and blinked, perplexed - this was already going far different than the last few times I'd seen her. "Forgive you?" I sneered. "Why?"

"I never should have taken out my emotions on you like that, Sunset," she spoke as she lowered her head again, gesturing limply to the book. "In truth, I had just finished preparing this lesson for you... the experience left me emotionally drained, sensitive, and raw... but it was still wrong of me to have reacted so harshly to finding you in my private library yet again. I never should have banished you, I never should have declared you were no longer my student... that you were never my daughter. I regretted what I said nearly as soon as I'd said it... but the damage was already done."

I regarded my former mentor with mystified silence... she was apologizing? To me? And through searching her emotions, she was... being genuine?

Wait... "yet again"...? She knew...? No, that wasn't important right now... I was here for one reason, and one reason only.

But... the only thing in this void was her, and she didn't want to fight me this time. She gazed again at the book - If this was to be my trial...

"...What kind of lesson?" I groused.

"I have told you that once, I had a dearest sister, Luna," said Celestia, her horn glowing as the book opened on its own. "We have been separated nearly a thousand years, now... because of things the both of us have done, because I didn't see what was happening. I was blind and ignorant, and because of me, my dearest sister fell to the Nightmare." At this I gasped - I had heard tales of Nightmare Moon ever since I was a filly, tales of her possible origins that could never be proved... and I had also heard my former mentor speak of her younger sister, who had disappeared many centuries ago. Her memories of her were always fond, but full of longing and remorse.

And now I realized why. "Your sister... she was Nightmare Moon?" Celestia barely nodded once.

"What lies in this book is the true tale of how she fell to the Nightmare... of how I failed to help her. Of how her own ambitions led her to be tricked and corrupted by the power she once sought. Of how... she never should have had to shoulder her burdens alone." As soon as she finished speaking, the book suddenly glowed with the colors of ancient magic, so much that the light blinded me.

When I sensed that the light had died down, I opened my eyes again, and gasped at my surroundings. Somehow I was back in Canterlot, but in a dream rather than reality - the buildings, the greenery, the other ponies walking past... their colors were blurry and muddled slightly together, as though I had been transported into a watercolor painting.

And yet, this was not quite the Canterlot I had left behind. There were discernable cracks in the new white stone used in the construction of Celestia's castle, where centuries of plaster had rendered them invisible to all. The clothes on the ponies who were wearing them were extremely old-fashioned, the fabric rough and primitive, the jewelry clunky and inelegant. The buildings were smaller, lower to the ground, crafted from plain wood or stone and not at all painted or ostentatiously ornamented. Even the well-kept cobblestone roads had been replaced with hard-packed soil.

It was like I was back in the middle ages. I took a few curious steps forward, laying a hand on the outer wall of the castle. Suddenly words bloomed onto the stone bricks, reminding me that I was within a dream... a fairy tale.

Fate has been cruel, and order, unkind.
How can I have sent you away?
The blame was my own, the punishment, yours.
The Harmony's silent, today.

But into the stillness, I'll sing you a song
And I will, your company, keep
'Til your tired eyes and my lullabies
Have carried you softly to sleep...

"What you see before you is the fledgling country of Equestria, over one thousand years ago." I jumped slightly when I saw Celestia standing beside me, and I glared as I edged away from her. "A time when my sister and I were thought to be infallible goddesses who had vanquished the likes of Discord and King Sombra, and brought the wild sun and moon into their perfect orbits. I was known as Life Incarnate and the Light of Equestria; and Luna was known as the Watchful Shadow, the Mother of Dreams... and the Final Guide."

"The Final Guide?" Princess Celestia had always been associated with the sun, and the attributes of light, warmth and growth. It only made sense that Luna, being associated with the moon, would have opposing attributes. But Mother of Dreams, and that last title of hers, together they implied-

"Yes... the realm of dreams was under her control. And through them she would enter the final hallucinations of the dying, and soothe their pains both physical and mental, guiding their souls towards what comes next. It was a duty of utmost importance to her."

My mouth hung open slightly as I pondered this information. But soon my thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a dozen trumpets blaring, and some old stallion strutted out of the castle onto a deck high above.

"Behold, Canterlot! Your Royal Highness, the Light of Equestria - Princess Celestia!" he cried. The townsponies began to gather beneath the deck excitedly, their giddy whispers exploding into cheers as the mare in question gracefully stepped into the light. Indeed, she appeared much younger than the Celestia I knew: not quite as tall, with shorter, smaller features and bright, proud eyes. She closed them as she soaked in the clamor, her smile hinting at just a bit of an inflated ego.

The Celestia beside me sighed, and shook her head. "I was young, then. Young... and foolish. I truly thought that I could do no wrong."

Once did a pony who shone like the sun
Look down on her kingdom and sigh.
She smiled and said "Surely there is no pony
So lovely, and so well beloved as I!"

Suddenly, a sepia wind blew through Canterlot, the scenery changing as it went. The beautiful watercolors became muddy and dark, and I realized that now we were in the middle of a vast slum. The ponies here appeared exhausted and miserable, their coats covered in dirt and their manes and tails scraggly and frayed.

And just then, a shadow passed overhead. I looked up to see an Alicorn, much like Celestia but so much different. Her coat was a deep azure blue, and her mane a billowing nebula of stars and comets. Her Cutie Mark was a black cloud with a crescent moon that seemed to glow with sublime purity, matching her ebon regalia.

She landed at the threshold of one of the hovels, and inhaled sharply before striding through. Following after her, my eyes befell a terrible sight.

A pegasus colt, who couldn't be older than three years of age, was lying on a filthy blanket. Patches of bare, emaciated skin were visible through his sparse light green fur, his ribs nearly poking out of his flanks. His wings were severely underdeveloped. He shivered violently as Luna approached, never opening his eyes as the shivers became jerks and spasms. His mouth weakly fell open, throat rattling as though it were filled with gravel.

Luna watched impassively. Her horn glowed an icy cyan, and suddenly colors erupted from her body. The hovel vanished before my eyes, and then the entire slum vanished as well, replaced with an endless, lush meadow beneath a cloudless night sky, illuminated by a bright, full moon and millions of tiny diamonds flashing with all the colors of the rainbow.

The colt opened his eyes slowly. At first he appeared confused, taking in his new surroundings. Then he saw Luna, and he recoiled in fear.

But Luna took it in stride. "Hello, Zephyr Gale," she greeted softly, with a warm smile.

"P-Pwincess Woo... Woona..." the little colt trembled. He didn't move a muscle as Luna's magic gently embraced him, materializing a fresh, clean blanket around his body.

"Shh... do not be afraid," she hummed as she held the bundle tight. "In a short time, you will no longer know pain nor hunger, cold nor loneliness. I shall guide you to the gates of Elysium, where you will live an eternity free of care, and play and laugh forever more."

Zephyr Gale stared up at Luna, expressing so many emotions through mere blinking alone. Confusion, fear, disbelief, uncertainty... seeing this, the Moon Princess smiled.

"...But until then, I shall grant you any wish you desire. Name it, and it is yours." The little foal's belly chose that exact moment to growl, and he made a face as he clutched at it.

"Hungwy... so hungwy..." he moaned. For a split second Luna's composure seemed to threaten to break, but she closed her eyes and nodded, her horn glowing again.

"It shall be done." A large table appeared before them, covered in bowls full of steaming mashed vegetables and grains. She lifted a spoonful of carrots with her magic and slowly fed the little colt until he'd had his fill. His stomach was grossly swollen as though he had a tumor, but... well, there was no need to worry about that anymore.

Not long after he'd finished eating, he shivered violently. "C-Cold... s-s-so c-cold..." Luna wrapped him up tighter in the blanket, and cast a gentle Warming Charm as she cradled the bundle against her barrel. Moments later, his shivering ceased.

"Mm... warm..." He nuzzled into Luna's fur - her stoic mask slipped for just a moment, a single tear sliding down her cheek as her face twisted in agony. It was so brief that had I blinked in that moment, I would've missed it. Though I watched for what felt like an hour, little Zephyr Gale never spoke again after that, drifting off into a deep slumber. His chest rose and fell slower and weaker... until it stopped altogether.

Only then did Luna allow herself to cry. Her weeping was bitter, full of pain and sorrow.

"...She cried for them all," Celestia noted as I held back a grimace. "Every little pony who did not get to live a rich, full life, whether they died of illness, or neglect, or through violent means... she thought it was so unfair. But the Equestria as you know it today was still in its infancy - poverty and crime was rampant, and we were still determining what laws were necessary to stop it. And she... didn't think we were working fast enough." She paused for a moment to sigh. "...I wasn't working fast enough."

So bright was her reign, so brilliant her glory,
That long was the shadow she cast.
Which fell dark upon the young sister she loved,
And grew only darker as days and nights passed.

The scene changed again and again, though now I felt as though I was watching from a distance. Luna wordlessly carried out her duties - while some were less depressing, of elderly ponies meeting a natural end, surrounded by loved ones and ready to go, far too many were just as, or even more heart-wrenching than before.

Once she ducked inside a burning building, comforting the souls of an entire family. Other times she broke into the secret lairs of murderers and rapists, their maimed, tortured victims finally set free in death. Still other times she arrived on the scene of countless accidents, drownings, falls and more, cradling the broken bodies in her ghostly embrace as the emergency workers called off their efforts. Just as often she found herself in countless hospital rooms, unseen among doctors and nurses struggling to save the damned and the doomed.

Through these vignettes I saw the passing of the seasons, the passage of many years. Far too often, these ponies were young. Mares and stallions, fillies and colts, just-born foals... none were invulnerable to death's gambit.

My heart ached for her. "How long did she do this for?" I breathed.

"So long, that she forgot when she began," answered Celestia. "She felt it was important to be there for every single pony close to death. She wanted to offer them comfort in their final moments, even if it meant telling them white lies... such as curing their illness when she hadn't the power, or their torturers being found out and being brought to justice."

Once the implication hit me, I gasped in horror. There were, of course, illnesses and injuries that even all the magic in the world couldn't fix, but those that had died so violently, those that had been kidnapped, tortured, murdered... All of them had died without justice? "...What? You mean... you didn't even punish the criminals?!"

"I couldn't... not without due process, not without issuing a warrant for an unrelated crime they'd committed... neither of us could," she admitted sadly. "Luna... couldn't understand that. She could see into the dreams of both perpetrator and victim, search their hearts and minds for the bare, naked truth, find them guilty of crimes even they weren't aware they had committed." She paused for a moment to exhale another bitter sigh.

"No... we had to uphold the law. Innocent, until proven guilty... but most of these criminals, these monsters... they were smart. They hid well what they were doing from the public. We would have to wait until they slipped up, either made a mistake or committed another crime with witnesses or probable cause, until we could act. It pains me to say it, but... many of them were never found out."

Rage billowed up inside me... so Celestia was even more incompetent than I'd previously thought? How terrible... how unforgivable! If I were the Ruler of Equestria, that'd be one of my very first decrees - I'd drag all of these monsters out of their homes as soon as I'd found out about their crimes and have them publicly executed! And the worst offenders would spend the rest of their lives in Tartarus, being kept alive by magic as they suffered the exact same fates of their victims, over and over until they couldn't be revived any longer.

"Why... why didn't you do anything...?!" I seethed. Celestia turned to me, her eyes soft and compassionate.

"Ponies tend not to appreciate their rulers being quite so... omniscient." I blinked as I snorted my distaste for the notion, jerking my head back a little. "Luna... she wanted to act. She wanted to bring them all to justice as soon as she realized what was happening, as soon as she saw the nightmares of the victims, the sick daydreams of the perpetrators... but she couldn't just punish them when the only concrete proof she had was intangible in nature. I suspect it pained her greatly to know this... she began searching for a way to stop this herself, a way to save those whose lives had been so cruelly cut short. It became an obsession for her... she even began to search the dreams of everypony, keeping track of those who might've been harboring ill thoughts, hoping in vain that she could somehow stop them before they came to fruition. It was for this reason why she seemed so cold and stern to our subjects, and in turn, our subjects came to fear and resent her... it only alienated her further from their graces."

I sighed in annoyance and stared at the ground... I guess I could see where she was coming from, though I still didn't like it. If there was a way to stop such horrors... then why not act? As I delved into my thoughts, the memory of a previous revelation entered my mind.

"...You always knew I liked to study in the Restricted Section... didn't you," I mumbled, feeling a tiny pinch of guilt. Celestia nodded.

"Of course. As careful as you were to cover your tracks, you were always a bit... too thorough. You would leave the place far cleaner than I ever left it myself," she replied, a hint of a wistful smile on her muzzle. "But I said nothing... to keep your trust."

Another sigh escaped my lips as I looked away.

Soon did that pony take notice that others
Did not give her sister their due,
And neither had she loved her, as she deserved,
She watched as her sister's unhappiness grew.

Now I found myself within what I assumed to be Luna's bedchambers within the castle. They were much like Celestia's, but the floors, walls and ceiling were hewn from dark granite rather than bright marble. The silver sconces were left unlit, and the blue-filtered light from the floor-length stained glass window of the Equestrian solar system kept the room dim. The ceiling was enchanted much like it was in the Great Hall, a false night sky's stars glittering like jewels.

In the center of her bed, wrapped in azure silks, Luna clung desperately to a pillow as she cried into it. Her muffled sobs full of unfathomable pain and grief were long, and still loud; after sniffling her nose clear she lifted her head to the ceiling.

"Why... why must I do this?! Why must I let this happen?!" she shrieked in agony. "I don't want to see a single pony more suffer another cruel, needless death! Why can't I help them?! It's not fair... It's not fair! Please... let me save them! Why can't I save them?!" As she buried her face back into the pillow, I bristled as a cold chill suddenly filled the air. An aura of dread, of deep desire - washed over me, so powerful my knees buckled.

It was like the aura that Slytherin's spellbook and the dark relic emitted together, but horrifically stronger. It seemed to choke out what little light filtered into the room, and suddenly the disembodied voice of an old mare echoed from the shadows.

"...You can."

Gasping, Luna shot up from her bed and eyed the corners of her room warily. "Who's there?! How did you get in here?! Show yourself!"

The voice laughed before answering. "I am simply a spirit... a shade. But I have seen what pains you, Princess, and I have come to offer you a remedy." Luna's eyes narrowed.

"...You are no mere spirit," she hissed. "Your aura is as foul as death itself."

"Perhaps," the voice admitted. "But would you not be willing to hear me out? I offer you a way to save those you cannot, to preserve the lives of those taken long before their time. I, too, find it most unfair... that you are forbidden to act, to bring these monsters to justice, to cure that which cannot be cured."

Luna's shoulders relaxed, and her glare softened. "...What are you getting at?" she groused less harshly. "Do not mince your words with me. I may not be seen nor treated as my sister's equal, but I am still a Princess of Equestria! I will not be mocked by the likes of you!"

"Never," the voice charmed through an unseen grin. "I wish to share with you what I know." Luna blinked a few times, her body frozen in place as she considered the words.

And then, she relaxed her stance. "...Very well. Begin."

All of a sudden, a blackness engulfed the room. I braced myself against it, my hackles rising as I heard Luna's pained scream erupt from within.

"No! What you are suggesting... it's sickening! It's a fate far worse than death! You're insane... I should have you thrown in Tartarus for even suggesting it!"

A billowing wind howled as it joined the void, the blackness twisting and churning. Luna screamed again as the voice argued back.

"...But it will offer them another chance... The power to avenge themselves... To stay fate's cruel hand... To live the life they were robbed of...!"

Light suddenly glowed from within the blackness, as cold as the outermost reaches of space itself. Suddenly Luna giggled, but it wasn't a happy sound. It was distorted, discomforting... deranged.

"Yes... I see it, now. It's a small price to pay for cheating death, to live the life they were wrongfully denied! And I... I am the only one who can give it to them. Oh, but my sister would never allow it, even though it is right and just! It is my responsibility... my own little rebellion against her apathy, her slow, foalish ways... Hehehehe..."

The blackness and wind suddenly imploded, sucking itself into a tiny point. As it did Luna reappeared, no worse for the wear. It seemed that despite that unnerving exchange, nothing had happened.

But then I saw it - a gleam in her eyes as cold as the light I'd seen. She stood resolutely in the center of her bedchambers, turning her head towards the stained glass window and glaring upwards at the obscured sun.

"...I can save them. I will save them. I'll show you that I'm just as capable as you are... perhaps even better."

An uncomforting shiver ran down my spine as the words graced my ears. The scene changed again, this time to a muddy road in the middle of a forest. The night sky was pouring down rain, as though mourning the poor soul who had fallen.

Luna fluttered down from above, landing with a squelch in front of a crumpled body. An Earth pony stallion wearing nothing but a thin, torn cloak lay facedown in the muck, blood seeping out of a few deep wounds and mixing with the water and dirt underneath.

At first she stared cautiously at the body, hesitating to come near. But then she snorted, perhaps at herself, and quickly regained her composure. Her horn glowed with freezing light, soon wrapping around the stallion's lifeless form. I watched with bated breath as the corpse rose into the air, watched his tan fur grow coarse and blacken until it was as dark as a shadow. Leathery black wings ripped themselves from his flanks and flapped, the flayed skin regrowing around the wounds until there was no sign of injury. The stallion's mouth lolled open, the canines of his teeth glinting, sharp and pointed like a razor.

His eyes slowly opened, the sclera a shining pale yellow, the pupils slitted like a snake's. Now that he was awake and alive, Luna gently set him on his hooves on the ground, and her magic receded.

"Rise, my little pony." She spoke softly, yet with grim authority. The stallion took a few moments to search his surroundings and then himself, as though he had been aware he was at death's door only seconds before. "Bramblevine, you have suffered Fate's cruel twist, and were sentenced to die before your time. But I... I, Princess Luna, have saved you from your fate."

"I... I-I was... d-dead?" Bramblevine trembled, his eyes fixated on the Moon Princess. She merely nodded.

"I have bestowed upon you a new life, a new body... you are now neither Earth pony, nor Pegasus, nor Unicorn. You are... Thestral." Wildly the stallion glanced down at his healed stab wounds, then to his brand new wings. His tongue traced his new fangs as he experimentally flapped them.

"I... I-I see," he finally spoke, lowering himself into a shaky bow. "Thank you, my Princess." At this Luna smiled, and a pang of foreign, darkened pride ripped through me.

"But since I have blessed you with this second chance, given you back your stolen life... I must ask you now for something in return," she replied serenely. "I ask for your unwavering loyalty in the days ahead, and I ask for your full and absolute trust. There will be those who will shun and fear you, because they do not yet understand what you have become. But I... I will ensure there is a place for you in this harsh, unforgiving world."

The tones, the subtle inflections within her voice... I knew those tricks all too well. After a moment of consideration, Bramblevine bowed once more.

'Yes, my Princess."

The scenes quickly changed again, and again did I feel as though I was watching from a distance. This time, however, instead of transporting herself to that starlit meadow to comfort the souls of the dying, Luna rose and transformed each young victim she encountered. Their reactions to the transformation varied wildly: some were grateful for another chance at life, while others were horrified of what they'd become. Some relished the chance at avenging themselves and immediately did so, while others couldn't handle the mental trauma, the newfound body horror, and went instantly mad. But all listened to her words, which were always along the same lines... asking for their trust and loyalty in exchange for a new body and life. And in the end, all of them agreed.

I saw her Thestrals being slowly introduced to Equestria. True to her words, they were shunned and feared by all but the most foolhardy of ponies, ostracized and banished to the borders of towns or the slums of the cities. Villages they founded themselves were avoided at all costs, it was considered bad luck if a traveler stopped to rest at their inns for even one night.

Their fears were well-founded. Travelers would often wake up feeling sick and anemic, the only giveaway two small, circular, parallel wounds on the sides of their throats. Sometimes they wouldn't wake up at all, their autopsies finding that they had been drained of all their blood. And the more thestrals Luna raised, the further the plague stretched throughout the land. Blood was their main source of nourishment - most of them at least stuck to livestock, or wild animals, but some were... much less discriminating.

They had all been given new life... but at what cost? At the expense of so many other innocent ponies they preyed upon?

"Where so many well-meaning wizards, thaumaturges and necromancers had failed... Luna managed to succeed, in a way," said Celestia. "A Thestral isn't quite dead, yet very much not alive. They live a cursed half-existence, requiring the blood of others to fill their own circulatory systems and keep their bodies functioning. It was the price they had to pay to live again... I know not whether Luna knew that herself, or she did and transformed them anyway."

"It's... terrifying," I nodded, my mind cluttered with racing thoughts. Celestia's face scrunched with pain as she turned back towards the vision, and sighed miserably.

"The Thestrals... whether through genuine gratitude and adoration, or through guilt and fear that she might rescind her gift of life... they bowed only to her," she continued. "Eventually there were so many of them that they posed a threat not only to Equestria, but to the countries on our borders as well. No matter how many times I begged Luna to stop, to let those dear ponies rest in peace, to consider the needs of those still alive, she refused. So when the time came that the Nightmare pushed her to attack, to lead a coup against me... I had no choice."

Her words broke through my stupor, and I stared in horror. "No choice... You mean...?" As Celestia bowed her head, her eyes flashed open with grim resolution.

"...I had to stop her."

But such is the way of the limelight, it sweetly
Takes hold of the mind of its host,
And that foolish pony did nothing to stop
The destruction of one who had needed her most.

It went on for decades. By the end of it, Luna had raised so many thestrals their feeding territory reached across all of Central Equestria, beginning to spread into the neighboring countries who promised retribution if the plague was not suppressed. There was mass panic in the streets by ponies who feared having their blood stolen from their own bodies next - turtlenecks and other high-necked fashions became deeply unpopular, as those who wore them were thought to be willing victims. Mobs of frenzied vigilantes paraded through Canterlot, dragging suspected collaborators from their homes by their manes and tails before setting them aflame.

The situation had reached a fever pitch. Alone in her throne room, the younger Celestia stared morosely at the floor as she tried to think of a way to fix everything peacefully, to find a solution where all parties could compromise. The Thestrals may have been an abomination of life and nature, but they were alive, and they were still her little ponies. She cared for them equally as much as the rest of her subjects.

She was also deeply concerned for Princess Luna. Until she agreed to let her punish those she deemed guilty of their crimes through searching their dreams, and allowed her thestrals to roam and feed wherever they wished, her sister refused to lower the moon from the sky. The unending twilight had become a dark crimson hue that terrified her ponies and didn't provide enough sunlight for the growth of plants. The nation's crops had already suffered losses from an unseasonably-cold spring, she could not afford for the rest of them to wither and die. Not with the Farasi embargo against them, nor their broken trade agreements with the Griffon Kingdom and Abyssinians.

Suddenly the heavy reinforced doors to the room flew open. Luna walked through the threshold, flanked by three thestrals on either side. They were wearing suits of cobalt armor, and the Moon Princess herself wore bright silver regalia fit for a goddess of war. She was nearly unrecognizable after all those years of being influenced and corrupted by the Nightmare - her fur had transformed to become an inscrutable blackness, and her eyes had turned predatory, almost viperous, glinting out from beneath her helmet. Even the stars in her mane appeared as though they were on the verge of going supernova. Her guards remained behind, closing the door as she approached her sister... almost as though they were preventing her from leaving.

"She fully believed what she was doing was right and just," Celestia lamented beside me. "She believed with her whole heart that her subjects, our citizens loved and adored her for saving so many lives, but in truth they were horrified of what was becoming of their friends, their loved ones. Many of them petitioned me day after day, begging me to talk some sense into her, to free their loved ones from this cursed existence... but it was all in vain."

"This has gone on long enough, Luna," frowned the younger princess. "I must ask you, once again, to cease this crusade against death and dreams. We cannot sustain the Thestrals' feeding habits much longer, we are at the brink of war with no less than three of our neighbors! Equestria will not survive if we are attacked!"

But Luna stared her down impassively. "No, sister... I will not. I will not stand by and watch helplessly as countless little ponies die before their time, while you do nothing to aid them!"

"I am doing all I can! I just need more time, more time to-"

"I am through waiting!" Luna snarled, stomping her hoof. The marble tiles beneath cracked and shattered from the impact. "Clearly, you are ineffective at ruling this nation. Perhaps I would do a far better job of it than you!"

"What? Luna, my dearest sister... what are you saying-?!" Princess Celestia gasped in horror, cutting her exclamation short as she narrowly dodged a blast of magic that obliterated her throne. Just as her hooves touched the floor Luna attacked again, forcing her to leap up and take flight. Not wanting to fight her own sister, she tried to retreat out of a nearby window, but stopped in her tracks as more armed thestrals rose up from below and blocked her escape.

"I have had enough of your lies, your ignorance, your decadence... and my little ponies have had enough of you! The time of the foalish Sun is over... Now begins the reign of the Moon, of the living, waking Nightmare!" Her voice transformed in an instant, the echo of a sinister old mare speaking with her, nearly overpowering her own. Even though it was a dream, I trembled in fear of the display of wrath before me.

"The insurrection that followed was cataclysmic," Celestia closed her eyes as the pages turned. Each one depicted a terrible battle full of death and destruction. The entirety of the Royal Guard was no match for Luna's personal company of Lunar Guards made up entirely of thestrals, decimating them and painting the castle grounds red with their blood. Canterlot was set on fire as more thestrals sieged the city, swooping down and snatching innocent ponies to be fed upon as they fled in terror. The entirety of Equestria's military, led by Archmage Starswirl the Bearded and his battlemages, was summoned to stop the uprising, but the thestrals that answered Nightmare Moon's call were able to match them blow for blow.

And while all of this was taking place below, high above did Princess Celestia and Nightmare Moon do battle, the full fury of the sun and moon brought to bear against each other. Even in her younger state my mouth fell open as I saw her power, her speed, her magic... I began to wonder if I could ever rival her in a fight, even after I'd mastered ancient magic. The two were little more than blurs of light as they soared and dipped and struck, each attack blowing massive craters into the ground as they missed, leveling the surrounding mountains amidst a backdrop of a blood-red sky illuminated by a solar eclipse. One powerful beam attack by Nightmare Moon carved an immense canyon into the earth; legends told that it was what had first formed the Rambling Rock Ridge. A blast of pure sunlight from Princess Celestia was deflected and scorched the ground until nothing but ashes and burnt glass remained; this was what was said to have created the Badlands to the southeast of Canterlot.

All the while, Celestia begged for her sister to stop. "Luna, please!" she cried out above the roar of battle, "I know you're still in there... I know you can hear me! I know this isn't like you!"

"YOU KNOW NOTHING!" roared Nightmare Moon, already charging up another attack.

"Please... I don't want to do this... I don't want to fight you! I love you!"

"I HATE YOU!" Tears dripped from her eyes as Celestia shivered, blinking as her facial features hardened. With a regretful sigh she closed her eyes in focus, and six crystals appeared and orbited slowly around her body. There was a citrine, a rose quartz, an aquamarine, a ruby and an amethyst in a simple, six-pointed shape, and then there was a large, dark pink gemstone in the shape of a six-pointed star.

"Luna... p-please... don't make me do this," she begged a final time, the crystals quickening their pace around her, glowing with a rainbow-colored magic I had never seen before. It felt much different from my own ancient magic... and yet, something about it seemed almost familiar. "I-I will ask you only o-once more... stand down."

"NEVER!" she bellowed as she fired, a massive beam of glowing, absolute-zero cold shooting down at her sister. Celestia swallowed bitterly and closed her eyes, letting the magic from the crystals bathe her in their light.

"...Forgive me."

A moment later the energy unleashed itself, a rainbow ring expanding from the center of the beam rocketing towards Nightmare Moon. The two attacks clashed together violently, a shockwave ripping through the thundering air and flattening everything still standing in its path as Celestia's magic easily overpowered her sister's. Both the Nightmare and Princess Luna scarcely had time to scream before they vanished into the blinding light.

When the smoke had cleared, Nightmare Moon was nowhere to be seen. Seconds later the dark moon rippled with faint rainbow colors, then shined a brilliant white as it began to move from its place in front of the sun. As sunlight returned to the world, I could now see Nightmare Moon's silhouette on the moon's surface, signifying her banishment for a thousand years.

And millions of miles below, on Equus' surface... Princess Celestia stared at the moon in horror of what she'd done, her pupils the size of pinpricks. The spent crystals clattered to the ground around her as she landed, falling onto her haunches. She choked on the sobs that forced their way up her throat, and she screamed to the sky with unrelenting guilt, shame, regret and despair.

It was a scream that would haunt me for the rest of my life.

Lullay, Moon Princess, good night sister mine!
Rest now in moonlight's embrace.
Bear up my lullaby, winds of the earth,
Through cloud and through sky and through space...

"It took nearly a century to rebuild what was destroyed," Celestia quietly remarked as she watched her younger self, a tear running down her cheek. "I won't bore you with the process or the politics... but I've never regretted any other action I've taken more in my life. In one fell swoop I lost the trust of my little ponies, crippled our young nation and rendered our greatest treasure useless, but most importantly... I lost my dearest sister."

"But how was any of that your fault?" I asked sincerely.

"If only I had worked with Luna to help our citizens more... if only I had shouldered some of her burdens, then maybe... she wouldn't have gone to such lengths to try and solve these problems herself. Maybe we could have found another way to save more ponies' lives; to help the impoverished, save those that could have been saved, and bring the tormentors to justice. Maybe... we could have done so much more for our little ponies."

While she wallowed in her guilt, I was silent for a few moments as I considered what I'd learned. "So... Nightmare Moon didn't want to bring eternal night to Equestria? Because the ponies shunned and slept through the night?"

"No, not at all," she shook her head. "It doesn't take being the Princess of the Moon to know that an eternal night would bring about the swift death of everything on Equus. And it wasn't because our ponies enjoyed the day more than the night... many of them held stargazing parties and moon-viewing festivals in the past. It was only after her banishment that rumors were spread, and anti-lunar propaganda ran rampant amongst the nobility, despite my efforts."

"Ah, right... the Solar Inquisition," I hummed, nodding along. "That movement alone took you almost four centuries to fully stop." Celestia's lips thinned as she searched her own thoughts, her eyes tired and aching.

"As time passed, however, I came to realize... what Luna did, while morally and ethically questionable, was also performed with compassion and mercy. She gave those ponies, her thestrals, a second chance at life when the first was so unfairly taken away. Perhaps... it wouldn't have been so bad if she'd somehow asked them permission in their dying dreams first, didn't hold her gift over them to guilt them into serving her. When I first realized what she had done, I thought them an abomination of life, mere monsters of her own creation... but they retained all their memories and sapience and hopes and loves. I only learned this when dealing with the survivors after her banishment."

"Maybe... there was more to her new power than you thought?" I offered carefully. After hesitating for a few seconds, Celestia nodded.

"In the end, I couldn't blame them for what had happened. I offered each thestral total amnesty, and asked whether they wanted to continue their existence or be granted a painless, peaceful return to eternal rest... Many of them were horrified by what they'd become, by what they'd been made to do to so many innocent ponies, or they'd lost all hope for the future when their families and loved ones abandoned and shunned them... they chose the latter. Those who wished to continue living were freely allowed to do so... they swore to never again feed on ponies, and gradually vanished into history."

"Despite the price they had to pay," I hummed in thought. "But... there had to be a reason why they would choose to keep living, even after their loved ones came to fear them."

"A Thestral must consume blood to survive," said Celestia. "But paradoxically, in return they are granted heightened senses and stronger bodies. They're capable of flight for much longer than a typical Pegasus can manage, for they rarely tire. And should one gain the knowledge to make use of magic, their power is nearly unmatched."

"Is that so..." Suddenly the thought seemed almost worth it, but then I quickly remembered the need to drink blood, and the fact that I wasn't much of a meat-eater. It was admirable that those thestrals were willing to continue onwards for their own reasons, wanting to live their second life to its fullest.

And I... I wanted to continue my quest. I still wanted all the ancient magic to myself, even if a choice like Celestia's or Luna's awaited me in the future. Unlike them, I didn't quite have the weight of an entire country upon my back, nor was I a reluctant Grim Reaper. I was confident that I would choose my right answer, or if there wasn't one, then I'd simply make my own.

I wanted to live my own second life, this new existence, the way I wanted to, not how someone else wanted.

"I hope you will take this lesson to heart, Sunset. My advice to you, is this: Some of our most desperate desires have too high a price to pay. Consider all the possibilities, even those you refuse to think about, when you are about to do something that will change... everything."

Carry the peace and the coolness of night,
And bear up my sorrow in kind
Luna, you're loved so much more than you know,
May troubles be far from your mind...

And forgive me... for being so blind.

The colors faded away as the book closed. I realized I was back in the shimmering teal void, cold emptiness all around me. Glancing back at Celestia, she had regained her composure, regarding me with the same soft smile she always used to have.

"A pity... I sense that my time here grows short. It is my dearest wish that you return to Equestria, but I now realize that you have gained newfound purpose in this world, to claim an incredible source of magic for yourself. I know not what you will do with it once it is yours," she gently shook her head, "...But magic is no different than any power. What really matters... is the one who wields it."

I gasped lightly at her words, echoing the sentiments of my current mentor, Fig. Suddenly Celestia glowed fiercely with blue-white light, her shining eyes closing as it swirled and sparked from her body in a spectral wind, carrying it across the void. It surrounded me in its warm caress, whispering sweetly into my ears before sinking and flowing directly into me. So vast was the magic that I nearly collapsed from the sensation, so much ineffable raw power arcing across my nerves. My entire body prickled with pins and needles as the ancient magic nestled deep within my soul, became an integral, permanent part of me.

It felt incredible. So much magic, so much power... but I still wanted more. I wouldn't stop until I had it all to myself.

"I grant you my blessing, in the - perhaps misguided - hope that you'll one day return." Her form began to glimmer and sparkle, and looking up at her I gasped again as I realized she was slowly fading away. Whatever magic had summoned her here was now returning her to her universe.

I tried to speak, to thank her for the boon of magic... but my voice was silent.

"Farewell, Sunset Shimmer... may you find the power you seek. I fully believe that you are capable of wielding it... I love you."

Her body evaporated into a burst of sparkles that vanished in an intangible wind. And just like that... I was alone.

My eyes stung; I blinked, wiping my cheek in surprise when I felt a tear drip and slide down it.

Celestia... regretted what she'd said to me? She never meant to say those things... still considered me her student, her... daughter...

...

...

...

Well... what's done is done. She still allowed herself to say those things, and because of it, I came here. If I hadn't, I never would've found out I could see and use ancient magic, never would've undertaken this grand quest to claim it all for myself. I never...

...would've met Sebastian. I never would've... made such a dear friend.

Nor would I have ever met Ominis, or even Natty or Poppy... at first I was surprised they came to mind, but I could admit that over the months, they'd all grown on me. Each of them had at least one attribute I could say that I found... favorable.

I felt my heart twisting around itself uncomfortably... suddenly all the anger, the rage and grief that I felt towards my former mentor seemed so... misplaced. But before I could dwell on it for too long, a whirlwind of warmth began to blow in from all around me, bringing twinkling blue-white lights along with it.

From those twinkles did ancient magic swarm into existence, forming a familiar sight: a massive statue of Headmistress Fitzgerald's upper body loomed over me, her expression full of sadness. A glowing white formed along the crease of her eyelid and dripped into the waiting Pensieve below. The third of four mysterious artifacts rose from the cloudy liquid, this one appearing to be a wand handle crafted from elaborately-woven strips of aspen and pine wood. I stowed the strange item away into my pocket dimension, then placed my hands on the Pensieve's rim and dipped my face inside.

Once the smoke cleared, I saw Headmistress Fitzgerald walking alongside Isidora down a path in the verdant green hills near Hogwarts. They were in the midst of a conversation about the latter's use of ancient magic to remove the overwhelming emotional pain her father suffered.

"Isidora, what you did for your father was remarkable," said Fitzgerald.

"Wasn't it?" Isidora replied excitedly. "And Percival needn't worry about the strands of emotion or the traces this magic leaves, I've found a way to contain all of it." Hearing this, Fitzgerald stopped in her tracks, Isidora along with her.

"...You haven't stopped?" she asked, her eyes warily fixated on her as she beamed proudly, gesturing twice.

"Goblin silver." The repositories.

"You spoke to a goblin about this?!" Fitzgerald recoiled in shock.

"Don't worry, he has no idea what we're containing," the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor lackadaisically threw out her arms.

"We don't know what effect any of this may have... the emotions, the Dark traces-"

"Ugh, you sound like Percival," Isidora cut her off, rolling her eyes. "And as it happens, I do know. It is a source of strength, of focus! Somehow, it enhances my ability to wield magic!"

"...I don't follow, Isidora," Fitzgerald shook her head with a grimace, making my head jerk back in confusion. How could she not follow?

"I think we can harness it," said Isidora.

"Power like this is not to be toyed with! In the wrong hands-"

"You saw what I did for my father!" she argued. "Oh, Niamh... imagine the good we could do! Everyone is in some kind of pain!" And then to my surprise, Isidora pulled out her wand and pointed it directly at Fitzgerald's heart. An angry, red glow bubbled up to the surface of her chest, being extracted from the depths of her very soul.

Yet instead of letting herself be freed from whatever emotional pain she had, Fitzgerald grabbed Isidora's wand and shoved it away. "What are you doing?!" she demanded, though her stern face quickly grew deeply concerned. Isidora had managed to keep hold of a small amount of the tainted ancient magic...

...And she raised it to her nose, inhaling it as though it was a draft of the finest perfume. I watched with cautious interest as her eyes flashed red, sensing that her power, her magical abilities had indeed increased. "Breathe it in... can you feel it?" she sighed in an almost intoxicated manner, flexing the fingers in her free hand.

Fitzgerald shook her head. "Oh, Isidora... this must stop. All of it," she breathed. Isidora opened her eyes from her stupor, glaring at her with suspicion.

"...You've kept this power to yourselves for so long because you fear it," she growled. "I choose to embrace it." The Headmistress simply stared at her as she regarded her with disdain, turned her back and walked away, back down the path. For a moment it looked as though Fitzgerald wanted to call out to her, but her courage left her, and she turned away.

My mind was already racing with thoughts, barely registering the end of the memory and being pulled out of the Pensieve. What I had just witnessed did seem a bit like a cause for concern... Isidora had just treated the tainted ancient magic she extracted like an inhalant, and though she became more powerful for it, she also acted as though she'd let the power go to her head. That was one of the first precautions I took when I first chose to study Dark magic without Celestia's knowledge - knowing that I couldn't go to her for help, I needed to be careful that I didn't allow the forbidden power to corrupt me, to control me. It was easy to realize nothing good would come from it, and I was better, smarter than that.

But also from what I had seen, had pieced together myself... it would seem that she was right. The Keepers were afraid of the full potential of ancient magic. They even saw for themselves the results of Isidora's testing, saw the drastic difference in her father when his crippling emotional pain was removed! Surely that was something many people could benefit from!

There had to be a reason they were so afraid, so resistant to watching her broaden her horizons and further her experimentation. Maybe this tainted ancient magic was toxic in nature, and it slowly poisoned its user over time? Or maybe it extracted not only emotional pain, but all emotions indiscriminately, and the side effects just weren't apparent at first? Maybe it could even leave a hole in a person's soul, letting both emotions and latent magical power drain out until there was none left?

I simply didn't have enough information to come to any definitive conclusions, I could only trust what I'd seen and experienced myself. Hopefully the Keepers would be more willing to explain to me now that I'd seen this memory, but judging how reluctant they were to discuss it even before... it would likely take some creative prying.

A sudden pulse of magic alerted me to a portal that had formed in the void behind me. It would seem that I was finally done here. I took a few moments to organize my thoughts before walking through.

~

I quickly strode towards the three occupied portraits, desperately curious about the effects of tainted ancient magic, what Isidora had accomplished, why they were so unwilling to make the same use of the magic that she did. But before I could open my mouth, a fourth person walked into the remaining empty portrait. He was dressed in exotic blue robes and a matching turban, the scowl on his face stern and calculating.

This was San Bakar, the fourth and final Keeper. "Is it true? Has someone completed the first three trials?" he asked in a foreign accent as he stared down at me.

"Sure is," I smirked. "You're looking at her."

"But... you are so-"

"Young? I don't know why you're all so surprised at that. You're in a school, after all," I couldn't help but snark.

"Who are you?"

"Sunset Shimmer. You must be Professor Bakar."

"I am."

"Alright, now that that's out of the way, I have lots of questions about what I just saw in that last Pensieve," I turned towards Fitzgerald. "Did Isidora really just... inhale pure emotional pain back there?"

"She did," Bakar answered for her. I was beginning to grow just a little bit irritated with this guy, he seemed rather... pushy.

"And emotional pain, the tainted ancient magic... after she huffed it, I could tell her magical power increased. Is it because it allowed her to tap into a state of hysterical strength more easily, therefore increasing her power? Is the ancient magic itself responsible, and the fact that it's emotional pain is purely coincidental? What kind of experiments did she conduct to figure this out? And why did you think her further research on ancient magic was not a good idea?"

"...I worry that you seem more intrigued than repulsed," Bakar replied with a glare. "I hesitate to reveal the location of my Pensieve to someone who, perhaps, has yet to understand the responsibility of power." Now that was a statement that really rubbed me the wrong way. After everything I've been through, this arsehole didn't think I was worthy enough? Because I wanted to know more about this magic? What kind of backwards idiocy was this coming from a professor of all people?!

"Why would I be repulsed? Isn't the whole point of you four teaching me about ancient magic... well, teaching me about this kind of thing?" I groused. "How can I make any sort of informed decision about anything if I don't know the details?"

"What you must know, Professor, is that a dangerous goblin called Ranrok has accessed the repository at Rookwood Castle," interjected Fig. I jumped in surprise once I'd heard his voice - it must've been pretty late in the evening if he was already back from keeping Black busy.

"He's also learned to use it, too... he plans to use it against wizardkind," I added. "So I see two ways this can play out... it's either I learn more about ancient magic, or Merlin-knows-what will happen if he gets to the largest repository before I do."

"I see," Bakar hummed, considering our words. "Nonetheless, the knowledge you shall gain after you witness my memories is too valuable to share without further consideration. I shall require time to confer with the other Keepers."

"Confer? What have you people been doing all this time?!" I threw out my hands. "Can't you hear each other through each other's portraits? You can all get together in the same portrait room through them! You've had literal months to talk about this already!" But my complaints fell on deaf ears as the four Keepers walked out of their portraits and out of sight.

Fig sighed, shaking his head. "It seems we have no choice but to wait... frustrating as it is."

"This is ridiculous," I snorted. "I've passed three of the four trials already, why is me wanting to know more about ancient magic suddenly a bad thing?!"

"I'm not sure," he frowned. "I heard what you asked Headmistress Fitzgerald, however... Isidora was inhaling emotions to gain power?"

"She was," I nodded. "She said that doing so increased her own magical capabilities. She even tried to extract emotional pain from Fitzgerald... which I guess was kinda rude of her," I shrugged. "She also said she figured out a way to store the emotional pain she extracted, in containers made of goblin silver."

"The repositories?" gasped Fig. "Bragbor's journals... I see. It's all coming together, now! That's how Ranrok has been one step ahead of us all this time - Gringotts, San Bakar's tower, Rookwood Castle...!"

"And now this genius won't tell me where the last trial is so I can beat him to the big one," I scowled, jabbing a thumb at the fourth empty portrait.

"Yes... if the Keepers won't tell you where the final trial is yet, I say we at least maintain a watch on Ranrok. Perhaps he'll lead us to more information."

"Well, we'll need Lodgok for that," I frowned, crossing my arms. "Haven't heard from him since learning about the drills. By the way," I added with a smirk, "good call on that Polyjuice Potion. It was... very successful."

"I knew it would be," grinned Fig. "I may have done too good a job distracting Black... I had no idea he can't hold his Firewhisky."

"Is that so?" My smirk stretched out into a malicious grin. "He's in for a world of hurt tomorrow."

Author's Note:

Welp, this turned out way longer than I planned! :pinkiecrazy:

As it was in game, I felt as though Sunset wouldn't particularly care about the lesson taught by Headmistress Fitzgerald, nor would she know about the Deathly Hallows and appreciate the mystery and moral quandaries around them. And do we really need to wonder what she'd do to get her hands on the Elder Wand?

So I came up with this. The idea was inspired by Princess Luna's Anthology of Final Wishes by Drunk Luna, and of course, Lullaby for a Princess by ponyphonic.

Also, Sunset has been quite a menace to her fellow classmates offscreen. lol

PreviousChapters Next