• Published 20th Apr 2023
  • 2,377 Views, 289 Comments

Hogwarts: Sunset's Legacy - witegrlninja

  • ...
8
 289
 2,377

PreviousChapters Next
In Which Our Heroine Tackles The Trial of Courage

The days passed by achingly slowly. Finally, on Thursday morning, I received a letter from an owl in the morning informing me that Fig had returned. The classes for the day dragged on even more slowly, resulting in myself getting lightly reprimanded a few times for checking the clock so frequently. It barely mattered to me, and once History of Magic had ended I rushed to Fig's classroom.

"Ah, I was hoping to see you," Fig smiled as I burst through the door to his office. He was slumped over in his chair at his desk, still exhausted from his trip.

"I'm glad you're finally back," I said. "I can't believe it took you that long to tell the Ministry what you could have just written in a letter!"

"Minister Spavin talks more than he listens," he groaned, rubbing some alertness into his eyes and face. "Ranted on and on about rogue dragons... wouldn't listen to a word about goblins! Speaking of which-"

"I need that book I found in the Restricted Section." I couldn't help but cut him off. The goblin problem was slightly less important at the moment.

"Oh? What for?" he asked as he summoned the tome from his pocket dimension.

"I found the missing pages. There was a map on them, and it led me to a secret space directly below us. There's also four huge portraits down there, one of which has Professor Rackham in it. He told me to bring the book and place it on a pedestal there before he'd say anything else."

Fig blinked for a moment before shaking his head. "Why am I not surprised... Shall we?"

He grabbed the book, and I led him down into the dungeons, towards that storage area that contained the secret passage. As we walked I recounted the entire story to him... Scrope's scavenger hunt, the grotto with the toast-loving squid mosaic, Richard Jackdaw's involvement, our trip to the Forbidden Forest, the small group of goblins I... dealt with, and the enchanted cave that led me to the Map Chamber. Many times he interrupted me incredulously, clearly befuddled that such a strange sequence of events had played out while he was away. Once we'd passed through the portcullis, Fig gaped in astonishment at the secret passage, glowing with its own magic as though lit by illuminated water. We descended the spiral staircase, and once we'd passed through the door he gasped at the sheer immensity of the chamber.

"...To think, it was beneath us all this time," he breathed as he approached the pedestal. Almost as though in response to the book's presence, the pedestal began to glow. Fig stared at it for a moment, surprised that he could see this glow unlike all the others I'd seen, but a grin spread on his face as he placed the book on top of it. It opened by itself, flipping to the center where the pages had been torn out, and I placed the missing pages gently on top. The pages mended themselves before our eyes, and the book slammed shut as silvery strands of liquid swirled around it, pouring down the sides of the pedestal and wrapping themselves around the banisters of the stairs that led to the black marble floor. Once they touched the floor, white light began to swirl around the perimeter of the black marble, spiraling inwards until exploding into thousands upon thousands of tiny, starlike points.

Enthralled, Fig stumbled down the stairs and walked onto the marble floor, his footsteps rippling the lights as though they were water - in fact, a half-inch of water now covered the black stone. As I followed him, the points of light began to gather and spread in certain places until they formed what appeared to be a map of the area, looking down from high above. Hogwarts was easily recognizable, as was Hogsmeade and the Forbidden Forest nearby.

"Magnificent!" exclaimed Fig as he marveled at the map. Over a few moments his smile gradually fell, and he sighed sadly as he looked up towards the empty portraits. "...If only you were here to see this."

Oh, Miriam...

I blinked, hearing Fig's voice in my mind. Before I could think to ask about it, Professor Rackham's visage walked back into his portrait, appearing surprised at the company.

"Hello, Professor Rackham," I spoke. "I've brought the book like you asked. And this is Professor Fig, my... mentor."

Mentor... as strange as it felt calling him that rather than Celestia, it also felt... right.

"How do you do, Professor Fig?" Rackham greeted. "And you, Sunset... you see now why you needed to return with the book."

"I sure do," I nodded.

"That you have come this far tells me that you possess extraordinary magical ability... the potential and power of which will unlock, should you prove yourself worthy," said Rackham. "The location of each of four trials will, in time, appear on the map... trials that will test you, and give you access to invaluable knowledge. Trials... that you must complete on your own."

"Trials, huh?" I smirked with a hand on my hip. "Sounds fun."

"Do you recall the Pensieve memory you viewed in my vault at Gringotts?" asked Rackham. I spent a moment recalling the memory before answering.

"I do... you and Charles Rookwood spoke of the Portkey, and the trials you'd created for one who could see traces of ancient magic."

"Precisely," Rackham nodded. "Charles is another of the Keepers, a designation we gave ourselves centuries ago in light of the knowledge that we have been bound to keep hidden... until, perhaps, now."

"Sooo... nothing Fig and I have faced so far has actually been a trial," I looked down, a finger tapping my chin in thought.

"They were an important part of the journey, but no, they were not trials themselves. The fact that you have come this far, however, bodes well... the trials were designed to ensure that the power and knowledge we have kept secret for so long does not fall into the wrong hands. They will test your abilities, both innate and learned, but of equal importance - everything you witness as you complete the trials will inform what you choose to do with all that we share."

Uh huh... So far, I'm hearing a lot of "please take this incredible power and use it to become the greatest witch in the world".

"You will need patience... the trials have much to teach you. It will take time."

"I'm afraid we don't have the luxury of time," Fig suddenly interjected, shaking his head.

"We have waited this long, Professor Fig, surely a few more-"

"Respectfully, sir... while I do not know the secret you keep, I do know that Sunset here has seen traces-" Fig paused to swallow nervously, "...traces of a powerful Dark magic being wielded by goblinkind. And we encountered an uncommonly powerful goblin wielding such magic as we prepared to leave your vault at Gringotts."

"He really wanted that locket vial of yours in the vault," I added, nodding. "And now he just plain wants me... sent trolls after me in Hogsmeade and everything." Rackham frowned.

"...This is grave news, indeed," he acknowledged. "Sunset... do you trust Professor Fig?" I blinked in surprise, every memory I had including him suddenly flashing through my mind at lightspeed.

But I found zero reason to distrust him. Fig had only ever shown me kindness and grace, being deeply impressed by my abilities and gently pushing me to strive for more; never yelling, growing cross or even showing a hint of disappointment in me.

He was absolutely nothing like Princess Celestia.

"...Yes? Why?" I raised an eyebrow in suspicion.

"Then in light of your considerable skill and all that you have already accomplished, we shall begin," Rackham nodded once. "You will find the location of the first trial marked on the map below you. Whilst Professor Fig may assist you in locating the trials, they may be completed only by one with our ability." I looked down upon the starlit map, my eyes drawn to a tower a few miles away from Hogwarts that was pulsing with light.

"I know that tower," said Fig. "It's not far... you may have seen it yourself."

"I recognize it," I nodded in reply. "I flew past it the other day when I was exploring the countryside."

"Good... and, as your 'mentor'," Fig smiled, "the least I can do is go with you to ensure that it is safe."

"Welp," I snorted as I punched a fist into my other hand. "No time like the present! Let's see what this trial is all about."

"Good luck!" Rackham called out as Fig and I turned for the staircases, on our way to the mysterious tower.

~

We left the castle and made our way past the walls, after which Fig Apparated the two of us directly to the tower, outside its walls. We reappeared in a clearing just a short distance from the entrance. As soon as my vision leveled out, however, I saw movement from the opening in the wall. Fig did, too, and we ducked behind a tree, peeking around to get a better look.

Goblins.

"Ranrok's Loyalists," Fig hissed, casting a quick Cobolorum Revelio. "Around a dozen, I can see, but could be more."

"...Do you think they know the trial's here?" I shivered. First the vault, then telling Rookwood to try and kidnap me... just how much did Ranrok know about all this?

"I'm not sure. But it would seem that they've set up camp here for a reason. I suggest we investigate a little before doing anything else." I nodded and cast Disillusionment on myself, Fig following suit as he took the lead. We carefully tiptoed forward towards the entrance, the goblin keeping watch with his back to us.

"Stay hidden, and cast Petrificus Totalus-" Before Fig could finish his sentence, I had pointed my wand at the goblin, simultaneously gagged and gripped him with my magic, then flung my arm over towards the edge of the cliff the tower complex sat upon. The goblin mumbled out a muffled scream as he sailed through the air and over the cliff, disappearing from earshot and view.

"Sorry, you said something?" I blinked. Fig was silent for a few moments... since he was under Disillusionment I couldn't see his face, though I imagined he was impressed with me.

"...Nevermind... that works, too," he finally whispered. I heard his footsteps pass through the entrance, and I followed. A number of goblins had made themselves at home in the courtyard just in front of the tower's entrance. Some were standing guard while others were busy searching the grounds, muttering that Ranrok had told them something was there, and they weren't finding it.

They know something's here. While trying to maneuver around a goblin searching a wall, Fig accidentally dislodged a stone from it. The goblin shrieked in surprise, alerting the rest to his presence. Caught, Fig immediately laid into the goblin with a Depulso, slamming it against the wall with a pained grunt.

"An intruder!" I heard another goblin shout. Thinking quickly, I spotted a nearby barrel of gunpowder, lifted it with my wand and hurled it into a group of three goblins while casting a silent Confringo. The barrel exploded on contact, cutting off the goblins' screams as they were torn to pieces. As a majority of the other goblins rushed in our direction, I waved my wand at the group with Expelliarmus in mind, their weapons yanking themselves out of their hands. They looked upwards, confused, before I brought my arm down, the weapons with it. A chuckle escaped my lips as the weapons sank themselves deeply into the faces of their wielders. One lone goblin further away from the others watched in horror as his compatriots fell to the ground, shrieking in fear as he felt himself being lifted into the air by my magic. I swung my arm repeatedly in a V-shape, smashing his head into the ground a few times before flinging him headfirst into another wall. I could hear his neck snap from all the way over here.

"I'm... glad that's over," Fig blinked as he canceled his Disillusionment charm. I canceled my own, having counted twelve dead goblins - if there were any more, they'd definitely be on the lookout for whoever had just massacred their friends within seconds. "Best head inside."

We made our way to the tower, its doors locked. I quickly forced them open with a blast of magic, and Fig and I walked inside. The tower looked mostly untouched, though ravaged by time - enchanted brooms swept in vain at a layer of dust an inch thick on the floors, the furniture and cobwebs within completely coated in it. A section of a staircase that lead upstairs had crumbled away, replaced with wooden boards. There was a statue of a wizard in the center of the floor, but it didn't look like anyone I recognized. Fig commented that he'd never seen a sweeping enchantment last on a broom for what seemed like centuries... perhaps even longer. It wasn't until we'd reached the top of the tower that we found anything of interest - a relatively dustless portrait of Professor Rackham that stretched from floor to ceiling.

"Welcome to San Bakar's tower," he said.

"Bakar...?" I paused as I turned towards the portrait. "...He was one of the other professors, wasn't he?"

"He is. Professor Bakar is a Keeper you have yet to encounter," Rackham confirmed. "I am glad to see that I was correct in presuming we would meet again so soon... though I surmise, based on the commotion I heard, that you did not have an easy time getting to me."

"No, no, Sunset took care of them all quite soundly," Fig shook his head quickly.

"There were a bunch of goblins outside looking for something... they had to go," I rolled my shoulders. Rackham hummed.

"...That goblins were aware of my vault is disquieting enough," he said. "But if they have also made a connection to this tower, then the threat may be greater than I thought. All the more reason for us to move forward! Downstairs, near the entry... a reservoir of ancient magic, like those you've seen before, has been unlocked. Command it to access a doorway... I'm afraid I cannot say more."

"A reservoir, huh?" I mumbled to myself. So those fonts of ancient magic on the ground were slightly more than just that... they were pools of magic I was absorbing into myself whenever I allowed them to flow through me. The thought of stepping into even one more of those reservoirs sent a pleasant chill of anticipation down my spine.

"As Professor Fig cannot join you, he and I will, in time, see you back at the Map Chamber," continued Rackham. "Remember what you see." And with that bit of advice, he moved out of the frame and out of sight. Fig let out a strained sigh as we made our way back down the staircase, where I quickly noticed sparks appearing from my footsteps, leading me to the reservoir. I stood in its center and let the ancient magic seep into my body, reveling in the sensation for a brief moment before flicking my wand. The stone wall before me rippled and sank away, revealing a glowing portal to another room.

"We're going to need to understand how Ranrok's Loyalists knew about a tower that once belonged to a Keeper," he frowned. "For the moment, however, you've more important things to set your mind to."

"I do," I nodded, smirking.

"Then I shall leave matters in your increasingly-capable hands," Fig smiled. "That said... be careful."

"I will. See you back at the Map Chamber," I glanced behind me. Fig flashed me one last grin before Disapparating back to Hogwarts. I faced the portal and took a deep breath, the lingering heat and metallic smell of the ancient magic seemingly empowering me as I focused on it. My eyes flicked open with determination, and I stepped into the portal.

~

I was plunged into darkness. A Lumos revealed that I was at one end of a long hallway, the other end too far and too dark to see. Though I couldn't see much else, I could tell that the hall was made of white marble with streaks of gold. Frowning at the apparent plainness of the trial, I began to walk forward. My footsteps echoed hollowly down the corridor.

It wasn't until I'd walked for ten minutes that something finally happened, sparks appearing and leading me towards another reservoir of ancient magic, right in front of where the hallway came to an abrupt end. Standing in it, I felt that this font was deeper than the rest I'd encountered - the magic seemed to seep into my skin through every pore, gathering and pooling within me. Its warm caress felt nearly uncomfortable, and the scent of ozone and metal made my sinuses sore.

But if that was the price I had to pay to accumulate more of it - more power for myself, then I was happy to pay it. I allowed the magic in, watching it dance along my horn as I flicked it. The magic rippled outwards, transforming the hallway into a large, dimly-lit chamber. Like before, it too was crafted from white marble streaked with gold, with a floor crafted from blue crystal. The only decoration the chamber had other than some lit sconces along the distant walls was a red carpet that stretched from beneath me towards...

...

...

...

...No.

"So... you've returned."

I blinked in surprise, in realization... in horror.

That voice. It was very familiar to me.

No... that's not possible. It can't be!

It was her.

She was as radiant and regal as I remembered, standing taller than the tallest horse or similar creature I'd seen in this world. Her white fur gleamed with a burning, holy light, her aurora mane trailing behind her like billowing gossamer. Even from a distance I could sense her presence, her tangibility... it really was her.

But...

...Her eyes were like hot coals, her muzzle fixed in a deep frown.

A whoosh resounded in empty air. Out of instinct I ducked down, my eyes wide as a massive golden halberd slashed through where my neck had been a second earlier. In a flash of light, golden armor sealed itself around her body. The halberd, double the length she was, reappeared from the darkness and swam above her head in a graceful arc, its razor tip pointed at me.

She charged. I had never seen her move so swiftly, I only barely dove and rolled out of the way in time. Celestia extended her wings as she came to a rapid halt, turning in place and facing me.

"I believed in you," she growled. "I saw the potential in you, the magic you could one day unlock. I took you in and raised you like my own daughter... and yet, you threw it all away... and for what?" She charged at me again, this time I cast a Protego to block her attack, allowing the momentum to knock me away and give me some space.

I bristled at her words. So many memories came flooding back into my mind, all indelibly stained by the transgressions of our final hours together... Was she really doing this now, of all times? Berating me for my actions? Angry with me for following my instincts? Punishing me for taking matters into my own hooves when she threw me out? Was she... really attacking me for that?! Actually trying to kill me for something so trivial to her?!

Even the good memories I shared with her were already forever tainted by her lies, her betrayal, her attempt to keep me from that which I deserved... and now she was doing it again?! How dare she go this far!

"You tell me, you're the one who wouldn't answer my questions!" I shouted back, firing a Depulso at her as she charged again. The spell forced her to halt, pushing her back several feet from where she stood. "You wouldn't tell me about the mirror no matter how much I asked!"

"Because you don't deserve this power," glowered Celestia. "You haven't earned a thing!" The halberd swung in an arc, striking at my shield and glancing off, sparks flying with every hit. I grunted with exertion, concentrating on the shield's integrity as much as I could... every blow threatened to shatter it and slice right through.

"Oh, but I've found my answers! Magic only I can see and use, that's been lost to the ages for centuries... and you know what?! I did it all on my own, so I did earn it!" I cast Expelliarmus to tear the halberd out of Celestia's invisible grasp; it was far heavier than I thought, and I struggled to control it as I sent it flying back towards her like a dart. Celestia simply blasted it away with a burst of magic, the halberd clattering to the ground as she fired a searing beam of sunlight towards me.

"It is not yours," she hissed. "Only a Princess is worthy of the power you seek." I rolled out of the way of the beam, the ground it dragged over igniting with flames. Thinking quickly I ran towards her at a diagonal, slowly spiraling around her as she continued to channel. Once I'd gotten close enough I cast Aguamenti and sprayed her in the face, causing her to flinch and end her attack. Then before she could react I quickly followed it with a Glacius, extinguishing the flames and trapping her within a jagged block of ice.

I took the hard-won moment to catch my breath. It tore at my heart even more than I thought it would, to be attacked by her. Did all those years together mean nothing to her?! Was her love, her caring nature really so fickle? Was I just a toy of hers all those years, something to amuse her until she was bored of me, something she could discard so thoughtlessly? I thought of her as my own mother, for Merlin's sake! I trusted her! I loved her!

And she threw all of that away when she banished me from the castle... disowned me as her protégé, her adopted daughter... now I saw her for what she really was - a callous, treacherous tyrant. Remembering the love I used to have for her made me sick to my stomach, made me want to tear out her heart just as she'd torn out mine.

Now that I thought about it... did she ever really love me...?

"I can't believe you'd throw me out for what I did, for trying to find answers, like you trained me to do!" I glared, ugly, bubbling rage simmering within my gut, the events of that fateful evening choking out my thoughts. "After all those years, what kind of mentor... what kind of mother-"

"You are not my child!" she shouted as her eyes and body pulsed with energy, the ice shattering and whizzing past. Though I threw up a shield I still felt one of the shards sting my cheek. "And I am not your mother! I am your superior, and you will heed me!" Four orbs of golden light appeared around her head, two on each side. They glowed brightly before shooting out thin lasers of energy that cut right through my Protego, forcing me to dodge and roll to the side.

I couldn't actually remember the last time she'd been motherly towards me... the last time she'd held me close, told me she was proud of my accomplishments... told me she loved me. Searching through my memories only drew blanks. She'd only ever treated me as her student. Nothing more.

She... really never did love me. She proved as much when she threw me out. The realization hurt like a slap in the face, a sucker punch to the kidney.

And now she was demanding my respect? After everything she had done? She hadn't earned it... she'd never earned it! I was just too infatuated, too starstruck, too stupid to see it myself until now!

"No! You don't get to tell me what to do anymore... you threw me out, remember?! You abandoned me!" I screamed. My eyes began to water - I had to blink so I could properly target her with Confringo after Confringo. The explosions made her flinch and turn her head, but seemingly nothing more. "When you banished me I had nothing left! You knew that, and you still followed through with it!"

A dark sneer flashed over Celestia's muzzle. I only barely heard the discarded halberd rise into the air and sing in my direction. My Protego was only partially formed by the time it struck, taking the brunt of the damage but still knocking me along the floor like a ragdoll from the sheer force.

"Ha... look at you," she grinned cruelly as I struggled to all fours. "A scared little orphan in a world not meant for her. Do you not see how foalish, how utterly stupid you are being?!"

Wh-What...?!

My breath hitched in my throat. I blinked at her harsh words.

"I took you in from that orphanage when no one else would, gave you the best education anypony could possibly ask for! You lived a life of luxury that most ponies would kill and die for! And you dared argue, you still have the gall to disobey me?! You're a failure... a failure of a student and a failure of a daughter! You have no right to talk back to me, you filthy, low-born bastard child!"

Something wasn't right. Even at her angriest, in her most frustrated rage... Celestia would never say anything like that... right? This was my trial, I had to pass it to prove myself to Professor Rackham... this couldn't be real!

It can't be... is this just an illusion? To test my resolve?

"...You're not Celestia," I breathed. It couldn't really be her, not if she was trying to kill me... Perhaps the point of this trial was to affirm that I would do whatever it took to secure my dreams - the ancient magic for myself, no matter the obstacle. Why else would she ever attack me, let alone fight me to the death?

And what happened next confirmed my suspicions. Celestia screamed out a harsh whinny as she reared up, her massive wings fanning outwards. Her body pulsed with blinding light, forcing me to shield my eyes. With my arm raised I peered through slits and shadow... and gasped. Celestia had transformed herself, now four times her usual size, her entire body encased in twisted metal armor that glowed whitish blue, like those guardian statue knights I had faced before. Her weapon, also four times larger, spun and twirled above her as though caught in a tornado.

"FOOL! YOU WILL PERISH!" she roared in the Royal Canterlot Voice, the ground quaking violently with every word. The halberd swung as fire erupted from her horn, surrounding the two of us with a ring of searing flame. Knowing that remaining within the ring meant certain death, I cast Aguamenti at what looked like the ring's weakest point and leapt over the extinguished floor just as the water evaporated and the fire pulsed back up, the halberd sailing through the flames a half-second later. The blade was now as long as the diameter of the flaming ring, far too thick and heavy to stop with Protego.

Even though I now knew it wasn't her... it still felt so terribly real. I still wanted to scream, to sob, to rage at her for all the times and ways she'd failed me, to hit her where it'd hurt the most... So many things I had left unsaid.

"No, I'm going to prove you wrong!" I snarled. "I deserve this power, and I'm going to master it! With or without your help!" With a new flash of anger and determination I swung my wand, slicing through the flames with Diffindo and driving her back. Her eyes glowed like dying stars as more fire sprung up all around us, the searing heat making sweat pour from my entire body. At the same time my skin instantly dried out and lost all elasticity, feeling like it was threatening to crack apart and spontaneously combust. Though I felt disgustingly clammy and damp, and it was becoming increasingly painful to even move, I pushed through it all and kept up my attacks. "It was my mistake thinking so highly of you... you really never were my mother after all, despite all your false adorations and praise! I was nothing more than your faithful student... your puppet!"

"I GAVE YOU EVERYTHING!" Celestia bellowed, the flames surrounding us turning into jets of magma shooting skyward, molten rocks raining down all around. The ground shook even more violently, nearly knocking me over. Some of the rocks exploded upon landing on the ground, the shrapnel hot and razor-sharp as bits of it zipped past and sliced at my skin.

No... no, you didn't...!

"YOU NEVER LOVED ME!" I roared back, tears streaming down my face. "I NEVER ONCE HEARD YOU SAY IT!" As I fought I felt my soul light itself ablaze with a flood of raw magical power, the sensation coursing through my veins and nerves like water breaching a cracked dam. It surged down my arms and legs and wrapped around my brain, my vision suddenly becoming brighter and more focused. Out of the corner of my peripheral vision I could see ancient magic leaking from my horn, billowing like steam from a pressure cooker.

My anger, my rage... all of my emotions had reached a fever pitch. The magic was crying, pleading... begging to be unleashed.

I screamed with all my heart as I heaved my wand towards her, the scream echoing in my very soul. All the pain and rage and misery I'd ever felt because of her rocketed out along with the ancient magic, staining it a roiling red. The magic struck the amalgamation dead center in the chest, and Celestia screamed in agony as it pierced straight through her back.

The spell ended a few seconds later. As I gasped for breath, Celestia, now silent, her face empty and expressionless, took a few stumbling steps to the side... and fell, unmoving. A sick satisfaction spread through my body, and I allowed myself a sneer of triumph.

"I... am my own pony... And I... don't need you... anymore."

My mouth was bone dry, causing me to double over in a coughing fit. As I tried to gather saliva in my mouth and swallow, the fires all around me died out, plunging the room back into cold darkness. I spent a few moments simply catching my breath, dousing myself with Aguamenti and reveling in the cooling sensations before drying myself off with a simple charm. Movement in my peripheral vision brought my attention back to the amalgamation's corpse - it melted into the floor like a puddle of mercury, then twin pillars rose up and formed a pointed arch. A portal, glowing a calming blue, bloomed from within. Cautious, but galvanized, I stood up and stepped through.

I now found myself in a palatial room of polished blue stone, empty save for a Pensieve and a massive statue of someone looming over it. Upon looking up at its face, I realized that it was the very visage of Rackham. A line of silver light suddenly formed in the crook of one of the statue's eyes, slowly sliding down and gathering along the inner canthus, forming into a teardrop as if it were crying. I watched with bated breath as the teardrop fell directly into the Pensieve, the liquid within swirling.

Suddenly, something ejected itself from the Pensieve and floated above it. I moved closer to investigate, and saw that it was a long, thin object, like a string of some sort. It glowed brightly with ancient magic, whispering to me...

...Take it.

I waved my wand at the object and stashed it away in my pocket dimension. The liquid within the Pensieve was still swirling, the memory within waiting to be witnessed. Though I knew I could breathe with my face submerged, I still took a deep breath before peering inside.

Past the black wisps of smoke, I found myself on an isolated hill overlooking the ocean. Professor Rackham and Isidora, looking a few years older than when I had seen her last, were staring out towards a nearby island. Rackham watched proudly as Isidora raised her wand skyward, and over on the island I could see a pillar rising from the ground, seemingly pulled into existence by the ancient magic that surrounded it. Bubbles of blue-white light ringed with silver sparked from her wand as she worked.

"Your ability to transfigure the world around you is remarkable!" Rackham breathed in praise. I analyzed everything I could about what I was seeing, enthralled by the demonstration before me. Another pillar rose from the ground, taller than the last. Suddenly, Isidora lowered her wand with a frown.

Pain. Sorrow. Heartache. Melancholy. Upon looking at her and realizing the frown across her lips, emotions not of my own suddenly tunneled into my mind and took root. They chewed at my heart, nearly making me cry.

W-What? Why am I sad all of a sudden? What is this?! I rapidly blinked away the tears forming in my eyes, ignoring the need to wrap my arms around myself as best I could. I couldn't understand why I suddenly felt this way.

"What is it?" asked Rackham. Isidora sighed.

"...My father isn't getting better. I don't think he'll ever recover from the death of my brother." Rackham lowered his head in sympathy, while another pang of sorrow wracked my body.

"It is agonizing to see those we love suffer," he offered in condolence.

"The drought was years ago... but the pain of losing him is as deep for him now as if it had happened only yesterday." Isidora lowered her head.

Defiance. Resistance. Yearning. Desire. The sorrow in my heart suddenly changed, these new emotions blossoming so strongly within me, as though I had never felt them before. The wetness in my eyes immediately vanished, now filled with burgeoning aspiration.

N-Now what is this...?

"He doesn't need pretty pillars... he needs peace," Isidora shook her head, turning to face Rackham. "What if I could help him, Professor?"

"You do so much for your father already, you-"

"It's not enough... I want to take away his pain!" she cried desperately. It was subtle, but Rackham seemed to be taken aback by her statement. He took a moment to compose himself before replying.

"It is tempting, I know, to use this magic that you're mastering to transfigure more than the physical world... but human emotion is a potent force unto itself." Isidora shook her head again. "Even the most well-meaning and competent witch cannot possibly know the consequences of irrevocably manipulating it."

Incredulity. Disbelief. Doubt. Distrust. My emotions changed again. "So I'm to watch as my father's pain destroys him?" Isidora blinked, her mouth slightly open.

Why... W-Why am I feeling what she's feeling...?

"It is not your pain to take," Rackham replied. Isidora stared at him for a few moments before her head shook slightly once more, and she walked away right past him. I could only watch as she vanished from view, struggling to get a grip on my own emotions.

The scene changed in the blink of an eye, and the emotions that hung over my mind like a storm cloud evaporated just as quickly. Now I was in that same office in Hogwarts as before, with Rackham and Charles. They were talking congenially about their students by the roaring fireplace when movement alerted him to another presence.

"Ah, Miss Morganach! Welcome back to Hogwarts, Professor," he greeted. I turned to see Isidora, now perhaps a decade older, entering the room. Instead of a student's uniform she wore a blue dress with red and gold embellishments.

Appreciation. Gratitude. Impatience. Pride. Foreign emotions flooded my heart and mind again.

"That's going to take some getting used to," Isidora remarked before greeting both Keepers.

"I was so pleased to hear that you accepted the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts professor," Charles grinned.

"Sit, sit, Isidora! Tell us about your travels!" Rackham gestured to an empty chair. Isidora merely smiled.

"I was actually hoping that you and the others might join me at my home this evening... There's much I'd like to share with you." Pride suddenly overshadowed the other emotions I felt in the moment. My lips thinned as I considered why.

She wants... to show them something.

"That would be delightful!" Rackham agreed as Charles nodded. "We shall let the others know."

"Very well! I shall see you then," said Isidora. A sense of nervous anticipation shoved aside the pride, leaving me to feel it in equal portions as she turned and left the office. As soon as she passed the threshold I felt myself being pulled out of Rackham's memories.

I stood up straight with a gasp, breathing heavily. It took me a moment to realize that the foreign emotions were gone from my mind again.

"Wha... What was that?!" I mouthed as I stumbled away backwards from the Pensieve. My foot slipped on the polished stone and I fell on my butt, but it mattered little. Not when I'd suddenly felt a rush of emotions that were not my own.

Is that... is that what ancient magic is? Emotion? I blinked repeatedly, trying to banish all thoughts and feelings from my brain. Was the key to using ancient magic my own emotions? My own emotional state? And yet, my own emotions were dwarfed and engulfed within that memory... was that simply the memory's doing?

Another realization dawned on me, and I gasped again... all those times when I thought I could hear- feel words being spoken by others, by Sebastian, by Fig... It wasn't their thoughts I was feeling, it was their emotional states! It was simply laid bare for me to sense all on my own, as naturally as breathing or blinking came to me.

My eyes bowed to the floor as I ran through the implications of such a revelation. If emotions were the key to unlocking the secrets of ancient magic... how, exactly? Which emotions would work? Righteous anger, definitely, but anything else? ...Should I take up meditation now?

A noise drew my attention to my right. Another pointed arch had risen, the space within filled with enchanted, mirrorlike stone. I took a few breaths to calm myself before getting up and walking over to it. As I approached, a reflection of the Map Chamber appeared to me.

Well... that's extremely convenient.

I had survived the trial, and I had seen the memory... and I had taken whatever the string floating above the Pensieve was. Feeling very ready to leave, I touched the enchanted stone and felt the air change. Beneath me was the black, starry marble, and behind me, the four portraits loomed.

"Ah! You're back already!" I looked to my left, seeing Fig standing up from sitting on one of the staircases and approaching me. He must've taken notice of my shellshocked demeanor, as his smiling face fell into concern. "Are you alright?"

"I... yea," I nodded, sighing. "I'm fine." He was about to press the issue when something caught his eye, and he looked upwards to the portraits. I followed his gaze - to the left of Rackham's portrait, where the Divination professor stood watch, the image of Charles Rookwood walked into view, his hands placed casually on his hips.

"What have we here?" Charles asked with an air of amusement. I swallowed down the apprehensiveness I'd been feeling since my mind was invaded, and stood up straight.

"I am Sunset Shimmer," I introduced myself. "And this is Professor Fig."

"Professor Charles Rookwood at your service," he bowed his head slightly. "Has someone completed the first trial?"

"Yep... that would be me," I nodded. "I even saw you in Rackham's memory."

"Indeed. So, you found the Portkey to access Professor Rackham's vault, and you deciphered the map within the locket you found floating about that Pensieve?"

"I did... mostly. I mean, Professor Fig was there, too. Why do you sound so surprised?"

"I did not intend for that to be an insult," Charles shook his head. "You must have considerable magical ability, as you appear to still be a student at Hogwarts."

"Well... I am. Both a student, and of 'considerable magical ability'," I groused. It then struck my mind to ask about what I had found after the trial, and I quickly whipped it out from my pocket dimension. "Oh, Professor Rackham. I found this... string-looking thing floating above your Pensieve. What is it?"

"Ah, yes," Rackham nodded knowingly. "You will find a similar artifact in each trial. Take care to keep them safe... you will need them to complete the journey we have set forth for you."

"Once you have them all, we will tell you what to do with them," added Charles.

"I see..." I glanced at the object again before putting it back. Not much of an answer. ...Alright then. So, where's the next trial?"

"Before you proceed, I would like to speak with Charles regarding the urgent situation involving the goblins," Rackham held up a hand.

"The goblins?"

"Sunset has seen traces of a powerful Dark magic being wielded by goblinkind," he explained calmly. "She and Professor Fig not only encountered goblins lurking outside of San Bakar's tower, they also encountered a powerful goblin in my vault in Gringotts."

Charles hummed in thought, then nodded once. "I'm afraid it would be wise to halt the trials until we know more."

Halt?! Wait, don't I get a say in this?! I'm the one doing them! The trial had taken more out of me than I'd first thought; I gaped stupidly at the portraits, too stunned to speak.

"We shall defer to you in this matter, of course," Fig spoke for the both of us, though his tone conveyed that he, too, was disappointed. Rackham and Charles nodded before walking out of view, totally ignoring me. I blinked in disbelief.

...You bastards.

"Hmm... Rookwood... where have I heard that name before...?" Fig mused as he stared at the floor. I considered the name myself, an answer coming to me rather quickly.

"Rookwood... Oh, that guy, what's-his-face... Victor Rookwood, right!" I snapped my fingers. "...Do you think he might be related to Charles?"

"Perhaps. But we can't be sure of the significance, if any," he shook his head. "For now... tell me what you saw in the Pensieve."

"Rackham's memories. There were two of them; the first was about him teaching Isidora how to use ancient magic. She wanted to learn how to take away pain, but he didn't seem to think it was a good idea-" I nearly continued into my next sentence, but cut myself short. How was I going to explain the sudden rush of emotions I had felt?

Was it even a good idea to bring it up? As invasive as it was, Fig would likely worry about me, maybe even reconsider me completing the rest of the-

...

...

...

...No.

Not again.

I pushed the thought as far from my mind as I could. The anger I felt bubbling up in my heart resolved itself just as quickly.

I'm not telling him that part. Not if I don't have to.

"I see... and the other?" Fig replied, jarring me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, right... and the other one, she was hired on as the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor here. She had apparently been traveling for a while, and she wanted to have the Keepers over at her house." Fig hummed in thought.

"Hopefully, the next Pensieve I feel you will find provides more context," he frowned. "For now, we should learn what Ranrok knows."

"He does know an awful lot about something nobody's supposed to know about," I nodded. "...Uh... how do we do that?"

"I've no idea where to start," Fig shook his head. I wracked my brain for a solution... the only thing I could think of was that one elderly goblin I'd seen in the Three Broomsticks after the troll attack, and that was likely a remote possibility. Even if I could find him again, what were the odds he'd know anything?

"I suggest we sleep on it. Perhaps a solution shall make itself known to us in the morning," Fig suddenly stretched and yawned. "It is past your curfew, after all."

"Is it? I hadn't realized." I had just spent who-knows-how-long battling an illusion of my former mentor, hellbent on killing me.

"Come, I'll accompany you to your common room so you don't get detention from an overzealous prefect." He began up the stairs to the chamber's exit. I lingered for a moment, glancing back at the empty portraits before jogging to catch up.

~

It was nearly midnight. The common room was thankfully deserted when I entered. I didn't feel like company of any sort at the moment, not even the snoozing, snoring portraits. I summoned my toiletries and pajamas into my arms and left for the bathroom, taking an extra-long shower.

I tried not to think. I tried to keep my mind as empty as possible, even though I should be thinking of a way to find out what Ranrok was up to. Instead I let the warm water wash away the events of the day, taking the emotions forced into my mind with them.

I wanted the power, to wield ancient magic. That hadn't changed. But feeling those emotions, feeling what another person felt... it was something I was going to have to get used to. Something told me I'd likely experience such a phenomenon again, and it wasn't exactly something I looked forward to experiencing.

It was almost 1am when I flopped onto my bed and drew the curtains. It was a restless sleep.

PreviousChapters Next