• Published 22nd Mar 2023
  • 223 Views, 11 Comments

Mud the Kelpie - Topazzia

  • ...
 11
 223

Sick Day

Mud was completely asleep, but had a rude awakening in the morning.

Her head was heavy, but not of sleep. Her limbs were sore, feeling both oily and dry. It was hard to breath, no air passed through her nose, and her mouth dried so her tongue stuck to the roof of her mouth. Mud felt like her eyes were being pushed out of her head, that coupled with chilling aches and pains almost unbearable, she forced herself to sit up.

Kelpies had to have sensitive skin in order to function properly in the wild or under water. All well and good for survival, but if a kelpie were to fall ill it would mean death if not treated.

Muds chest clenched, her fear rising as she woke up more. Her eyes began to tear up as realization hit her.

She was sick.

Breakfast had been placed on the table, the usual biscuits, hash browns, and various juice and fruits. Starlight and Fluttershy stood to the side, ready for Mud to come running in as usual. But as they waited more than the normal time, the ponies looked back into the hall. Something was wrong, and the other girls noticed too.

The door was shut, with no sign of activity. Starlight attempted to turn the handle, but it clicked.

"Locked?"

She knocked on the door, "Mud? You in there?"

Starlight, Rarity, and Fluttershy pressed their cheeks to the door, hearing a sobbing sound. Now worried, Starlight focused on the lock. She managed to force unlock it, and swung the door open.

Immediately Mud's glowing eyes flicked up, and she rolled, falling off to the floor behind the bed. The room was dark, curtains pulled closed. Starlight walked over to open the curtains, with the other ponies close behind. When light filled the room, everyone saw Mud curled up, partly under the bed and sobbing with her hooves covering her face.

Concern swept over the ponies’ faces, and starlight went to sit by the kelpie.
“Mud? What’s wrong?”

The small grey mare flinched and whined, “No!”

Starlight froze, her hoof just hovering over the kelpie. “What’s wrong?”
Applejack moves over to Mud’s other side, “Now Sugar cube.”

The Earth pony sat down, and set a hoof over the kelpie’s shoulder, as Mud revealed her reddened cheeks and soaked muzzle.

The heat and shudders AJ felt emanating from the creature made it clear what was wrong.
“Careful y’all, she’s sick somethin’ fierce.”

Rarity tilted her head, glancing down at Mud. “That’s what this is about? She locked the door!”

Fluttershy approached with sympathy, setting the necklace translator on the bed. “She’s just scared.”

Starlight shifted a hoof over Mud’s shoulder, under her arm, and lifts her to sit up straight. The Kelpie gave no resistance, but continued with tears.

“Come on,” Starlight urged her with a comforting brush over an ear, “Tell us what’s wrong.”

Stifling her sobbing, Mud grumbled, avoiding eye contact.
“You’re gonna get rid of me…”
Another stream ran down her face, and she choked on her words.

All eyes around her went wide, and AJ leaned in.
“What makes ya think that?!”

“It happens every time!” Mud flinched away from her unicorn embrace, “I always get sick, and they always chase me away.”

The pony’s eyes widened at the declaration.

“Useless kelpies can’t stay!”

Rainbow swiped her wings, looking agitated. “What?!”
Starlight paused, and secured another hold on the small grey mare. “Hey, we’re not kelpies.”

Mud looked up at her, the crying ceased.

“Chasing you off isn’t even an option.” The unicorn turned up to Pinkie Pie and Rarity, “You two get vegetable broth on the stove, Fluttershy, find the Cold & Flu in the bathroom and bring it.”

The ponies dispersed, and the kelpie was pushed up into her bed, and the curtains tossed away to let in sunlight. Mud was taken aback by the sudden change in behavior, and stayed still and confused as she watched. Rainbow sped away to find a tissue box, while Starlight turned to AJ.

“Help take the sheets; we can wash them while she uses the fresh ones.”
The unicorn replaced the pillow and blanket, passing them to the farm pony, and unfolding new ones from the closet.

“But… I’m sick, I…” Mud sat up.
Starlight smiled, and stepped closer to set a hoof on the blanket. “We can fix sick, and we want to help the best we can.”

Mud coughed, clearing her throat that became red and irritated. But her gaze fell on the pony, seeing the truthfulness showing in that smile.

“Just lay back, the girls’ll be back with everything you’ll need.” Starlight firmly touched the kelpies hot gasping chest, pushing her into the pillow. “Are you gonna let your friends help you?”

Author's Note:

Mud will return in End Game