• Published 22nd Mar 2023
  • 223 Views, 11 Comments

Mud the Kelpie - Topazzia

  • ...
 11
 223

Bulls

The Swamp was so densely grown, and water dark and shielded with bark and weeds. Huts in the camp were small and built with little room to move between. If a kelpie wanted space, it would find it in the Forest, or the Flatlands.

Ponyville was a wide, open area, with flat grass yards and dirt roads. Houses so spaced apart Mud could see each street over to the very edge of town. It was too much space, making her feel exposed. Her fur tingled along her back as she watched each pony the small group passed. She prowled in between Rarity, Fluttershy, and Apple Jack.

The Ponies were much more comfortable, in fact they liked going outside more than the kelpie. Rarity even took the necklace, wrapped pearls around it, and wore a matching hat that had white flowers around the band.

The unicorn led the three to Café Hay, claiming it was an “afternoon tea”.

But after sitting around a strangely large mushroom table, Mud glanced off while the ponies ordered the drinks.

Other ponies sat together at the tables around the lot, all in pairs. But not just at the tables, ponies walked together up and down the street. They all pressed close to each other, fur touching and shoulder rubbing as they strolled closely. Some even had the tails entwined, and their muzzles close as they whispered.

Any pony that wasn’t sitting across from each other, enthralled in conversation, they sat as the others walked, blush very visible as tails swung side to side.

All the affection being shared, Mud knew she should feel happy for them. But all she felt was an awful churning in her gut, mixed feelings of embarrassment and sadness.

Her emotions became visible as she watched a table across from her own group. Rarity had glanced down at her, seeing the locked line of sight and slow settling of her chin on the table. The unicorn, having full knowledge of what was happening, only smiled and pretended not to notice.

The tea arrived only a second after, and a small cup was placed in front of Mud. Applejack and Fluttershy sipped their tea while Rarity only held hers, and then the unicorn spoke.

“Hm, isn’t afternoon tea just wonderful?”

Fluttershy smiled, “Oh yes, very relaxing.”

Rarity glances at Mud, “What about you darling?”

The kelpie shifted to look away, her only response was muttering. “Not thirsty.”

AJ and Fluttershy shared concerned looks, but the unicorn was unfazed.

Rarity hummed and thought up her best conversation starter, “Mud darling.”

She looks up at the unicorn.

“Do kelpies have any sort of, uhh, fashion?” Her scheming grin went entirely unnoticed.

AJ grunted, while Fluttershy took another sip. Mud was left to look up at the unicorn questioningly.

“You know; suits, dresses-“ She lifts her necklace slightly, “-Jewelry, maybe makeup?”

Applejack nodded, “Mh, yeah, the bigguns.”

Fluttershy also knew, “Some of them wore paint.”

“The Guardians?” Mud guessed, chin still on the mushroom.

Rarity nodded, "Yes yes, I suppose body paint counts."

"Well," The Kelpie thought a second, "No one wears stuff like that."

She points at Rarity's hat, "We'd cover ourselves in muck to disguise our scent or to keep warm."

She sits up slightly, "Also White Line, the stuff Guardians wear."

The unicorn found her chance, and keeping a cool smile, she sipped her tea and pressed on.

"I heard they were tall, and so many, quite the selection for a pretty made like you."

Instant blush, and a retreating glance at the other two ponies. But the unicorn had set firmly in the Kelpies emotions.

"What!?" Mud's fur bristled, and she wanted to run.

"Stallions darling." Rarity leaned in.

Mud had just became more confused, "What's a stallion?"

"Boys, gentlecolts, the males?"

Mud stared, mind working to try and change the subject. "You mean... Bulls?"

AJ raised a brow, but switched to understanding.

"A'right, yeah a bull."

Rarity rested an elbow on the table, and chin on that hoof. "How charming, and surely they are good looking."

Mud curled up on her stool as much as she could, locking her gaze to the ground. Ears burning with embarrassment, she could only squeek in response.

Applejack grunted, setting her cup down.

"Ah think that's enough, lookit her, she's bakin' like a tater."

Rarity chuckles, glancing one last time at the thourouly flustered Kelpie.

"Come now darling, she's clearly a gem."

She sets a hoof on Mud's shoulder, "Maybe she'll find a nice stallion."

Mud regretted coming with these ponies, sitting and drinking tea, taking in every one of those words that brought back memories. Although it might have come out some time, waking up one night in this new land deciding it was time to move on.

But no.

No matter what happened, how she felt, or what anyone would say. She loved one, and only one bull, and swore they would be together. All that dreaming and wishes would only catch up and he'd stand there waiting for her to wake up, and love Mud more than any of her new freinds could.

All just wishful thinking, and it hurt to remember. Not that she would give up on her dreams, just everyone said dreams are for pups.


And she is not a pup anymore.

Author's Note:

stories posted on Deviantart first, https://www.deviantart.com/topazzia

also the tumblr, will post there soon https://www.tumblr.com/mudthekelpie

also i dont know how to put art in fimfiction, so it's all on DA as well :/