• Published 22nd Mar 2023
  • 223 Views, 11 Comments

Mud the Kelpie - Topazzia

  • ...
 11
 223

Apples Never Fall Far

Not many fruit trees survived in the swamp, as the constant changing of weather and water level trees and all sorts of plant life shot up to full growth and died almost a quickly. Leaving the swamp shrouded in mold covered tree trunks and mud that seeped into the earth. Only fruit trees grew in the forest, along with Lonerbloods and monsters.

The thought of even seeing the bright colored bulbs was always something Mud had wanted, but crushing them and drinking the nectar was entirely new. Ponies talked about it like this was normal, but Mud was still fascinated by it. She liked the tasted an more, finishing mouthful after mouthful, she wanted more. Applejack was the apparent expert on juice, and made it taste better by just making it herself.

The orange pony smelled pleasantly of well processed soil, a sweet and sour tang, and freshly chewed wood. As side from smell, everyone had their own unique scent, this pony was different. She was taller by a bit, and was bulky, even for a mare. Applejack didn't have a horn or wings, and her fur looked course, like meant to deflect weather.

Mud felt a sense of familiarity as both of them were more alike, more so than stumpy, soft, horned, winged creatures. She then felt even more connected to the supposed, carefree paradise, than what the Earth Pony asked her after a while...

Applejack placed another apple on the juicer, clamping it down to press it. Mud finished the last of her sippy-cup she had, as she didn't know how to use a regular cup without spilling one. The farm pony had a smile, one that said she thought carefully on what she was about to say.

"Hey sugar cube, y'all came here bah herself." She started, her accent just making through the translator on the table.
Mud set her "special cup" on the table, and looked up. "Hm, yeah, I guess."

"Well, I suppose y'all didn't just sprung out the ground. Ya must have folks?"

Mud paused, although being able to understand ponies, she didn't know what they were saying sometimes. "Huh?"

AJ set aside the apple she was about to press, turning to face the Kelpie while leaning on the counter.
“Parents? Ma ‘n Pa?”

Mud paused, and slowly set down her cup. She stared at the pony a moment, completely speechless as her mind reeled into thinking how to get away. But looking down at the table, she sighed, avoiding eye contact she answered.

“No…”

Applejack knew her answer from the beginning, that prick of ears and wide eyes told the pony enough.
“Ah understand.” She kept a faint smile as Mud sat unmoving.
Mud didn’t look up, just crossing her arms over her chest.

AJ glanced at the ground, letting up on the attention.
“Ah guess we got somethin’ in common.”

Mud looked up, surprised. “What?”

AJ met her gaze, “Yeah, not somethin’ Ah like bringin’ up. But I jus’ thought y’all might’ve had someone waitin’ fer ya.”

Mud tried to ignore her, and shrank down with her mane falling over her face. AJ saw and walked over, setting a hoof across Mud’s shoulder.
“Now don’t be like that, nothin’ to be ashamed of.”

Mud looks up at her, somewhat cross expression softening.
AJ went on, crouching beside the kelpie to be at eye level.
“Need ta talk about it?”

Mud looked down, grumbling under her breath. “Nothing to talk about…”
She straightened in her seat, “They weren’t really there all the time.”

AJ looked sympathetic, and stayed close. “And?”
Mud’s expression darkened, “And what? Dad didn’t care, neither did mom.”
The kelpie gritted her teeth, “At least she lived long enough to tell me how I didn’t matter to her.”

The orange pony stayed by her side, standing to hug the kelpie with strong arms.
Mud’s anger distracted her from the world around her, so the sudden affection surprised her. AJ’s voice hummed against her brown mane.
“Now Sugar cube, it’s not that you didn’t matter, it’s ‘cause they couldn’t take care of ya right.”

Mud looked up at her as she went on.

“Ah’m sorry ya got the short straw, but sometimes things happen, ya cant let it get you down too much.”

Mud listened, and slowly let her muscles relax.

“None of it was yer fault, and if ya think anything other, than it’s time fer a change.”

Taken aback, the Kelpie stared. The orange smiling face turned away as AJ went back to the counter, continuing with the juicing.

Mud had never heard anyone say this before, but the ponies did it all the time. So sudden from what she was used too, she just sat and stared. AJ said nothing more on the matter, and poured more apple juice into the pitcher, ready to refill Mud’s cup.

Author's Note:

Everything is posted on my Deviant art before everywhere else, and the actual art for each story.

I dont know how to do images in FiM Fiction ._.