• Published 19th Mar 2023
  • 183 Views, 23 Comments

The Ghost of Coltistrano: Phantom Eulogy - EthanClark



He is a hero. He's looked to as a shadowy example of fortitude, honor, and courage in the face of true evil, but all souls have their limits. Tonight, the wrath of his greatest foe will either break him, or make him something more. Something worse.

  • ...
 23
 183

Chapter 6: “I’m sure I’ll surprise you.”

The Summer Sun Festival never ceases to amaze me. Anywhere else, it’s a spectacle, but in Canterlot it’s a genuine royal event. Everyone from the Princesses to the nobility attended today’s ceremony, not to mention the throngs of ponies lining the streets. Why, if it weren’t for Princess Luna, we most certainly would’ve drowned in the crowd flooding the palace’s outer grounds, but to watch Celestia raise the sun in person? Simply nothing can compare.

It gave me a moment to, at least, distract myself from Luna’s request. Last night’s investigation was fruitless, save for a few scraps of information. Her reliquary is a trove of ancient objects whose uses have been lost to time, not to mention the dust. I’m still brushing it off my mane. Unsurprisingly, she was very cooperative with me and my questioning, even going so far as to give me a personal tour and reveal what the stolen objects were used for, as much as she could remember. My conclusion: they’re all junk. Aging arcane baubles from a time long gone. Sets of lenses and carved brass frames, crystal tubes that harmonize with the air, and a dozen other items that have long lost their magic and rested dormant for centuries. I haven’t the mind to determine their value, but Shield Wall wants them, and that frightens me.

My darling Silver, however, couldn’t be in better spirits. Maybe the celebration is what he needed, just to take a break from the world and lose himself for a moment. He works so hard. I know one day he’ll come home without a brand new score of bruises, but I’m content knowing we’ll actually have a home together, once all this is behind us. For now, however, he seems happy to leer at me from across the carriage.

Rarity peeked over the edge of her journal. A pair of low-lidded amber eyes followed her, underlined by the signature smirk she had come to know so well. They rocked together as the ornate carriage carried them across the neat, cobblestone streets of Canterlot, one of many in a procession heading towards the far side of the city’s uptown. Lantern light peaked through the windows as they passed by. It was enough to illuminate the sparkling navy gown hugging Rarity’s frame, accented by the equally sparkling bun of violet locks atop her head and providing the perfect contrast to Silver’s robust ensemble of rich crimson and accents of gold. An aura of blue appeared around his cream cravat and pulled gently.

“Wait until we’re home,” he purred.

“Pfft, I’m straightening it.” Her final adjustment bumped the knot against Silver’s throat, stunning him as she chuckled. “You’ll survive. Now, why don’t you tell me what you’ve gotten us into. It’s impossible for you to be so charming and not in danger at the same time.”

Silver cocked an eyebrow, pausing before he spoke. “Fancy invited me to a party, and he was rather rushed about it. Something tells me there’s more happening in this town than we thought.”

“Oh, and we’re here to lure that something out, hm?”

“You’re the detective.”

“I seem to recall us discussing something regarding normal date nights, but I suppose it’s for the good of Canterlot… and we’ve never danced before.” Her cheeks grew red, even beneath her blush, as she stowed the journal in a small purse. “We expect to find Shield Wall here, yes?”

“Fancy and I have few mutual friends, and considering the testimonies from last night, I’m almost sure of it.”

“Then we’ll need to alert the guard, but what about Gilda and Kindle? I didn’t see them in the procession.”

“Oh, I can’t ruin the surprise. You’re going to be so proud of her.”

At this, Rarity’s face perked up, just in time for the carriage to lurch forward and halt. After a few seconds the door rattled and was pulled open by an older stallion, extending his hoof to bid them exit. Silver stepped out first and was met by the blinding barrage of camera flares from crowds of ponies desperate to see the celebrity coming out of the procession. His hoof reached forward to Rarity’s, helping her down as a second volley of flashes burst forth as they made their way towards the tall mansion before them, stepping through the open gates and into the sanctuary of the inner grounds. Before the cameras took their last flashes, Silver leaned in and kissed Rarity on the cheek. She nearly screamed.

“Silver!” She slapped his shoulder with her purse. “Not in front of the press!”

He laughed as they stepped inside the imposing home, checking in with the posh pony at the door and crossing over into the main lobby. It was packed. Dozens of heads cast their voices across the dark wood and marble of the house, leading all the way down the hall towards the ballroom that glowed with a dull bronze color along the floor, beckoning Silver and Rarity. Some of the guests nodded and greeted them as they passed, but in a brief moment of relative seclusion Rarity returned his favor, planting her lips firmly against his cheek.

“You’re such a foal sometimes.” A cloth floated up from her purse and rubbed at the lipstick print left behind. “We must truly be in trouble tonight with you as playful as you are.”

“You know me so well.”

Rarity blew a few mocking kisses towards him, sighing as she scanned the crowd. “What about Gilda and Kindle? They’re here, right?”

“The Tornado is parked at the private airport, outside. They should be… whoa.”

Both sets of eyes turned towards the wide double doors leading out from the ballroom towards the private airport, and from the crowd of esteemed guests entering through came a pair they barely recognized. The bat pony stood tall, with his mane swept back to match his similarly clean dress blues. A breast of service ribbons decorated his jacket, his horseshoes glinted with fresh polish, and on his foreleg rested the more spectacular of the two.

The claw held a simple gold band upon a digit. Similar bands of gold filigree dotted her wings like glowing teardrops. Eyes of citrine, framed by striking eyeshadow, pierced the veil of her side swept fringe, pulled to one side along pressed and neatly laid feathers, with each step she took followed by the swaying of her equally adorned tail beneath her amethyst gown, held snugly against her toned frame. The gryphon pulled the attention of any who saw her as she approached the group. Many lingered in their stares, some even whispered amongst themselves, mouths agape as she passed with poise and a confident grace. Rarity squealed.

Oooh! Gilda, darling, you look absolutely stunning! My goodness, it fits you so well. Don’t tell me you did this all on your own?”

“Heh, uh… yeah.” Her feathers would ruffle were it not for their obvious grooming.

“You are stunning, love. I could’ve hardly done better, myself.” She leaned in for a hug, gently working her hooves around the gown. “And you look sharp as ever, Kindle. Very proper.”

Kindle brushed a hoof against his tie, fighting the goofy grin growing across his face. “Glad it works, I wasn’t able to get anything else on short notice. Which, Silver, why are we here, again? You didn’t really mention what this lead of yours was.”

“For the normal reasons, Kindle: drinks, company, and impending doom. Fancy’s invitation was far more distressing than I’m comfortable with. I think he’s in danger.”

“In danger of burning his wallet?” Gilda huffed, peering over her shoulder at the immaculate spread at the far end of the room. “Seems like the guy can never attend a party without someone wanting to snuff out his light.”

“Not if Shield’s in town. Kindle, can you check the perimeter and make sure security’s tight?”

“I made a sweep before I walked in. It’s light, but enough to help if something happens. You don’t think Shield would stage something here, do you? In public?”

“He’s done it before…” Across the heads of guests Silver caught the faint glimmer of light against the single rim of a monocle scanning the crowd. “And there he is. Everyone, try to blend in, work the crowd.”

With a reassuring pat to Rarity’s shoulder, Silver broke off from the group. His path was marked by small conversations with talkative, oblivious guests as he passed, but he kept Fancy in his sight at all times. On deft hooves he dodged one of the waiters, snagging a glass of sparkling liquid, a peace offering to the pensive unicorn who finally discovered him approaching through the wall of ponies surrounding him, giving a sigh as his aura enveloped the glass.

“Lord Aristo, I’m relieved to see you here.” He took a sip and savored the sting in his throat.

“Your invitation certainly called for my attention, but I’m relieved I didn’t miss out on such a party.” Silver stood beside him, scanning the crowd. “My plus one is here.”

Fancy nearly choked on his second sip, wiping the dribble of champagne on his sleeve. “He is? Heavens, is he here, in this room? I haven’t seen-”

“And you wouldn’t. Fancy, it’d be best if you actually told me what you needed him for.”

“Yes… yes, well…” A third and final sip of his liquid courage passed his lips and Fancy gave a stern huff. “There are things I can’t tell you, for the safety of others and myself, but… it’s Shield Wall.”

Silver leaned in as Fancy whispered, looking around the room for any pair of wandering eyes amongst the thick crowd of nobility, but in their secluded corner of the ballroom they seemed hidden enough.

“That’s why I was as gracious as I was, yesterday. I know the Ghost shares a personal vendetta with Shield Wall, and if anyone can help me out of this nightmarish situation, it must be him.”

“Then you must’ve seen him, right? What does he want?”

“I haven’t seen him, no, but I’ve seen his agents, and-” Fancy sealed his lips as a waiter passed by, eyes following the pony until they were out of earshot once more. “I have reason to suspect they’ll be here tonight.”

“Based on what, Fancy?”

“Well… because I invited you.” Silver’s jaw clenched as he turned towards Fancy, a heat rising through his body as Fancy’s hooves shot up between them both. “N-Not to trap you! On my honor, I swear I’m on your side, but having the Ghost and his allies here is the best defense in case he does arrive, and you can handle him, yes?”

Silver held his tongue for a moment, allowing his scowl to hold Fancy in place before he spoke. “We expected to, but if you know anything about what he’s planning, this is your chance to tell me.”

“You know how he operates. If he discovers I’ve told you even this much, he’ll strike at what’s most precious to me. You understand, yes?” Deep breaths slowed Silver’s heart, giving a small nod to Fancy. “Thank you, friend, but for now I fear I’ve been away too long. Let your company know.”

With that, Fancy downed the last of the bubbling glass and disappeared into the crowd. Silver gave a long sigh as he stood along, patting the breast and sleeves of his tailcoat to ensure the presence of his cloak, a reassurance to keep his nerves in check. Soon, his hooves carried him across the bronze ballroom floor as the swelling notes of strings and chimes floated over the crowd. Guests struck out in smiles, tugging and pulling on their partners and making their way towards the center of the room, the notes melding into growing music, led by the sound of a brass horn. One guest walked alone and gently guided Silver with her hoof on his.

“Just in time,” Rarity cooed, coiling her foreleg around his neck. “I trust you actually know how to dance, yes?”

“I’m sure I’ll surprise you.”

She gasped at his touch, running his hoof across her waist as they slowly twirled into the crowd of dancing ponies. With measured strength Silver lead. As the music picked up pace, so too did they, spinning along to the beat and in synchronicity with the rest of the crowd. Their hooves held each other, but Silvers soon snagged the back of Rarity’s. She felt her mane flow beside her face as she twirled on her hooves, her back pressing against Silver’s chest. Then, his lips found her neck. Rarity’s resolve waned, her only hope of escape being a quick reversal of her own, throwing her hooves over his head as she spun and pushed her leg up his, brushing his lips with hers.

“Consider me surprised. Wherever did you learn?” In her grip she felt him squirm slightly, his blush summoning a small grin from Rarity as she whispered in his ear. “It was Darrox, wasn’t it?”

“It was.” He laughed first, chuckling at the absurdity of the image in his mind as Rarity joined in.

“Now that is a story for later, my love. For now, get ready to switch.”

A lighter tune signaled the key change, prompting the partners of the dance floor to separate, floating towards strangers across from them. Silver and Rarity were pulled apart, following the flow of the ballroom across partners as the band played on, until Silver found himself face to face with the firm brow of a gryphon.

“Gilda, have I told you how gorgeous you look?”

“Buck you.”

Hearty laughter trailed from Silver as they spun together with the swaying dancers around them. “Come on, featherface, don’t act like you aren’t having fun.”

“Just tell me you have a plan.” Gilda groaned as she twirled under Silver’s foreleg, bending back for a dip.

“Fancy thinks someone’s on to him. If they strike, we’ll be here to stop it.” Silver pulled Gilda back up to meet at eye level. “If not, then we’ll have him in our protection to answer questions. Win win.”

“Good, can’t wait to get back to the ship.”

“Why the rush? Not a fan of showing up the snobby ponies?”

She rolled her eyes as the makings of a grin crept across her beak, errant feathers poking up through her well-maintained fringe. “Save it for Rarity… dweeb.”

Firm digits pushed against Silver’s face as they separated, Gilda rolling back into the crowd as partners were exchanged again. Silver held out for a moment longer as he searched for the familiar curtain of violet curls. When he found an older, portly stallion working his way towards her, Silver spun and provided just enough leverage with a hoof to trip the suitor, freeing Rarity’s embrace for him to secure.

“I didn’t know you were the jealous type,” she said as they rejoined the dance.

“A stallion like that’s no good for you. Dense, pompous, more bits than sense. You deserve someone with flair. Charm.”

“An unceasing flirt, perhaps?”

“With immaculate taste.”

“Taste in what, hmm?”

“Fashion, venues… mares.”

“How corny,” she chuckled as her eyes fluttered closed, a wide smile dressing her face as she leaned into his chest. “We needed this. Impending doom be damned, you’ve no idea how much this means to me. Can we… can we just enjoy it? For tonight?”

Silver leaned in, placing a kiss on her cheek and whispering in her ear. “Every night.”

There they swayed amongst the swirling tides of colorful gowns and melodious strings, heads touching each other as the world melted away around them. Movement was all they focused on. Of each other, of the crowd, of their hearts guiding their limbs. Silver opened his eyes to see hers closed, a smile on her face. Carefully he ventured downwards toward it, romancing her lips with his own, once more closing his eyes with the fluttering sensation of relief rising up along his spine. The moment was broken, though, by the disappointed scoffs of dancers around them whose paths to new partners they blocked.

Silver and Rarity snapped from their trance, giggling to each other before obliging the crowd, and with a final twirl they parted to opposite ends of the dancing sea. Rarity was scooped up by a well-to-do pegasus, and Silver jubilantly spun on his own into the embrace of his new partner. His heart froze.

Creamy yellow hooves rested in his alabaster ones. A hollow gaze filled with seafoam greeted him from behind its curtain of ruby hairs, tucked behind her ears. The unicorn held him firmly as they swayed. Silver fought the urge to escape, to pull free from the haunting visage of the mare, but instead quelled the tremor in his chest as she spoke.

“Hello, Silver.”

“Abby.”

“I should say I’m surprised to see you here.” She fell into his spin, the skirt of her emerald gown flowing behind. “You’ve gotten better.”

“The wonders of proper tutelage… you’re alive.”

“Surprised?” She quipped.

“Relieved, considering your current company.” He pulled her close, forcefully. “You know, I never stopped looking for you, even after all that happened.”

“How touching, I’m surprised you care.”

“Why?” Silver was met with an icy glare, his voice frozen in his throat.

“Because you loved me.”

Gentle strings overtook the silence between them. Their eyes dodged each other, ending when he finally found his voice and spoke. “I never wanted this to happen, Abby, to push you away.”

“Then you would’ve abandoned the cloak instead of choosing it over me.”

“Like how you’ve chosen him?” His words caused her to stumble, enough for him to begin leading their dance. “You didn’t seriously think siding with Shield Wall was the answer, did you?”

“If it means killing the Ghost, then yes.”

“I don’t believe you.” In response, Abby poked her hoof into Silver’s side, summoning pain and bitter memories, causing him to wince.

“Is that evidence enough? Right between the padding, as I recall.”

“You aren’t the first friend to have drawn blood from me.” He took her hoof in his with an unyielding grip, boring holes into her with his stare. “And you aren’t the first person Shield Wall’s used against me. You know how he works, how he manipulates. He’s turning my mistakes against us.”

Abby pursed her lips and pushed against his lead. “It’s good to know you admit it. Had you done it earlier, I might not be a fugitive from my own home.”

“Tell me why you’re here, and you no longer will be.” Silver regained his stance and twirled her under his hoof.

“As if you could redeem me, after all that’s happened.” She leaned her back against his chest, floating her foreleg along his. “Someone will have to answer for my crimes.”

“Celestia will be lenient, you know she will.”

“Not after what he’s done. Who he’s… it’s too late, Silver.”

“Only if you don’t help me. Please, Abby, we can stop him, together.”

“Ha! Together? I hardly felt we were ‘together’ when you vilified me in front of the entire Empire, or when you shattered my heart with three, little words. Forgive me if I don’t know who to trust anymore.”

“You know you can trust me. I’m not giving up on you.”

Abby spun back to face him, a thin and weary grin on her face. “Oh Silver, you’d be waiting ages for that, I’m afraid.”

“And I would wait ages more.”

Abby pulled away. He could feel her muscles tense, lurching beneath her skin in every direction away from him, yet she stayed where she stood. Her once chilling eyes fell into a fluttering and distracted glare across the dance floor. An island in the middle of the swirling crowd, Silver pressed his hoof to her cheek, trying to meet her gaze.

Azure eyes spotted them from across the room. Rarity swirled with her partner as her attention lingered and immediately took off towards them when the music queued a partner change, but something stopped her, soon finding herself spun around by another. Her prepared responses were dashed when she laid eyes upon him. Tall, gray mane, dressed in a pressed navy tailcoat and with piercing golden eyes bearing down on her. Rarity almost screamed as she fought his grip, finding just enough leverage to pull herself away and rushed towards Silver. She hid within his embrace as he followed her trail to the source of her fear, ensnaring them in a gaze of liquid gold.