• Published 29th Mar 2023
  • 769 Views, 54 Comments

Friendship is Magic: Jurassic Park - Triple B Studios

  • ...
4
 54
 769

Chapter 5: Invitation

Twilight rolled her body around, passing Ellie as she went to Grant to converse with him. Twilight hops on her chair and resumes reading her book. Her thoughts wander away from the conversation between Grant and Ellie. For some time, her attention is divided between the book and the memory of her time in the museum with Fluttershy before they met Alan and Ellie.

The two of them visited the American Museum of Natural History and were winding their way through the displays, taking everything in. They had moved slowly and purposefully through the museum, Twilight in particular absorbing what information she could. For the two of them, it had been a truly insightful day.

Then they reached the third room of the building. They moved through some more displays until finally, presented before them in great numbers, were skeletons. The two Elements had gasped as they slowly entered the hall filled with the remains, displayed in different poses. The first thing that hit them was the sheer size of the skeletons. The skulls, the thigh-bones and the teeth...

Immediately Twilight and Fluttershy immersed themselves in these creatures – the dinosaurs – and spent hours in the skeleton halls, learning from Alan Grant what these great animals could do when they were alive.

They were introduced to the great graceful sauropods which would herd together and graze, much like enormous cows. They learned about the Triceratops which would challenge each other for mating rights and dominance with their impressive horns and frills.

They learned about the Tyrannosaurus Rex, which loomed above most other predators and likely could crush anything with its bite. It still gave Twilight the chills when they also learned about the vicious killers. Ones that struck fear into every little or big dinosaur. The Velociraptors, intelligent creatures which would hunt in packs and use their speed to their advantage.

The two of them each enjoyed studying these skeletons that day, spending hours with Alan and Ellie talking about what these creatures might have looked like and how they might have behaved. Without a doubt, they were amazing and astounding creatures.

Twilight frowned as she recalled the memory. She thought back to the time at the Tyrannosaurus skeleton when she caught Fluttershy staring at the Tyrannosaurus’s jaws with wide eyes as she gazed at the fossil. Not one of amazement but one of horror.

Yes, Twilight has seen that expression before. She has been there many times when Fluttershy trembled in fear at the sight of a dragon. She knew just how terrifying the dragons truly are.

She thought back to how Fluttershy always seems to shrink whenever anypony mentions them. She and along with her friends knew that no pony feared the dragons more than Fluttershy does. Looking back, Twilight realized that there was something frightening about those extinct prehistoric carnivores in that respect—they did frighten Fluttershy terribly.

Not that Twilight could blame her. There was something unnerving about seeing the teeth of an extinct prehistoric predator with such a large mouth, ready to eat you alive; yet, there is something even more horrifying at the thought of seeing something living, breathing, and breathing once more after thousands upon thousands of years. And what makes it worse is that the creature was so incredibly alive that its very existence is threatening. Which made Twilight and Fluttershy all the more thankful those prehistoric animals did not exist in the modern day world. Either on Earth or in Equestria.

Twilight sighed, and returned her attention to the pages of her book. She glanced over to find Alan with the phone up to his ear, listening to whoever was on the other line.

Twilight turned to Ellie whilst pointing her hoof at Alan.

“Who’s on the line?” Twilight asked, looking at Ellie curiously.

“Oh, some woman named Alice Levin that works at Columbia Medical Center.” Ellie answered, looking back at Alan. “From what I got, it was something about identifying some remains and she wanted Alan to call her back right away.”

“Miss Levin? This is Alan Grant. What’s this about a … You have what? A what?” He began to laugh. “Oh, I doubt that very much, Miss Levin.… No, I really don’t have time, I’m sorry.… Well, I’d take a look at it, but I can pretty much guarantee it’s a basilisk lizard. But … Yes, you can do that. All right. Send it now.” Grant hung up, and shook his head. “These people.”

Ellie arched a brow at him. “What’s it about?”

“Some lizard she’s trying to identify,” Grant responded. “She’s going to fax me an X ray.” He walked over to the fax and waited as the transmission came through. “Incidentally, I’ve got a new find for you. A good one.”

“Yes?”

Grant nodded. “Found it just before the kid showed up. On South Hill, horizon four. Infant velociraptor: jaw and complete dentition, so there’s no question about identity. And the site looks undisturbed. We might even get a full skeleton.”

“That’s fantastic,” Ellie said. “How young?”

“Young,” Grant said. “Two, maybe four months at most.”

“And it’s definitely a velociraptor?” Ellie asked.

“Definitely,” Grant said. “Maybe our luck has finally turned.”

“You must be pretty excited.” Ellie smiled.

Twilight and Ellie blinked in both unison and confusion when Grant didn’t answer.

“I said, you must be pretty excited.” Ellie repeated.

“My god…” Grant breathlessly said. He was staring at the fax.

“What is it?” Twilight asked.

Ellie walked up to Grant. Looking over his shoulder at the X-ray, and breathed out slowly. “You think it’s an amassicus?”

“Yes,” Grant said. “Or a triassicus. The skeleton is so light.”

“But it’s no lizard,” she said.

“So are either of you two gonna tell me what you’re looking at?” Twilight asked. Both Grant and Ellie turned to her, blinking in surprise.

They both walked over to Twilight and sat down on their respective chairs next to her. Grant places the photo on the table and gently pushes it over towards her. Twilight bent her head down over the photo and stared at it closely. She raised one eye ridge while leaning slightly to the left to try and see it better from the corner.

In Twilight’s eye, she was looking at an x-ray image of a three-toed lizard. The three-toed foot was well balanced, with the medial claw smallest. The bony remnants of the fourth and fifth toes were located up near the metatarsal joint. The tibia was strong, and considerably longer than the femur. At the hip, the acetabulum was complete. The tail showed forty-five vertebrae.

“What am I looking at?” Twilight finally asked, breaking her focus away from the x ray, looking up at Grant and Ellie again.

“It’s a young Procompsognathus.” Grant explained.

“Could this x ray be fake?” Ellie asked. “A hoax of some sort?”

“I don’t know,” Grant admitted. “But it’s almost impossible to fake an X ray. And Procompsognathus is an obscure animal. Even people familiar with dinosaurs have never heard of it.”

“And this was sent to you today?” Twilight asked Grant.

He nodded. “Yes,” he answered.

Ellie read the note.

“Specimen acquired on the beach of Cabo Blanco, July 16…. Apparently a howler monkey was eating the animal, and this was all that was recovered. Oh … and it says the lizard attacked a little girl.”

“I doubt that,” Grant said. “But perhaps. Procompsognathus was so small and light we assume it must be a scavenger, only feeding off dead creatures. And you can tell the size—he measured quickly—it’s about twenty centimeters to the hips, which means the full animal would be about a foot tall. About as big as a chicken. Even a child would look pretty fearsome to it. It might bite an infant, but not a child.”

Ellie frowned at the X ray image. “You think this could really be a legitimate rediscovery?” She asked. “Like the coelacanth?”

“Maybe,” Grant said.

“But could it be real?” she persisted. “What about the age?”

Grant nodded. “The age is a problem.”

“Well,” Ellie said. “We know animals have survived. Crocodiles are basically Triassic animals living in the present. Sharks are Triassic. So we know it has happened before.”

“But it’s impossible for even one…” Twilight trailed off, turning her gaze to Grant. “What’s the name again?”

“Procompsognathus,” Grant replied.

“For one Procompsognathus to survive ” She looked back at the photo. “The only way for even one to survive, there would need to be a large population of them, otherwise this x-ray here is just a bit sketchy.”

Grant nodded. “Yes that's true, Twilight. But the thing is,” he said, “how else do we explain it? It’s either a fake—which I doubt—or else it’s a rediscovery. What else could it be?”

The phone rang to life. Grabbing the trio’s attention.

“Alice Levin again,” Grant said. “Let’s see if she’ll send us the actual specimen.” He answered it and looked at Ellie and Twilight, surprised. “Yes, I’ll hold for Mr. Hammond. Yes. Of course.”

“Hammond? What does he want?” Ellie asked, looking at him with bewilderment.

Grant shook his head, and then turned back to the phone. “Yes, Mr. Hammond. Yes, it’s good to hear your voice, too.… Yes …” He looked at Ellie and Twilight. “Oh, you did? Oh yes? Is that right?”

He cupped his hand over the mouthpiece. “Still as eccentric as ever. You’ve got to hear this.” Grant pushed the speaker button. Twilight and Ellie heard a raspy old-man’s voice speaking rapidly:

“—hell of an annoyance from some EPA fellow, seems to have gone off half cocked, all on his own, running around the country talking to people, stirring up things. I don’t suppose anybody’s come to see you way out there?”

“As a matter of fact,” Grant said, “somebody did come to see me.”

Hammond snorted. “I was afraid of that. Smart-ass kid named Morris?”

Twilight flinched at Hammond’s use of such profanity, but still listened intently. Through Twilight’s time living in the human realm, she had grown to dislike profanity and vulgarity in general. The thought of anyone who used foul language or other vulgar words was enough to make her cringe internally, yet the person calling themself Hammond was completely free of any moral compass; no hesitation or concern whatsoever.

Alan and Ellie notice Twilight’s reaction. They exchange knowing glances while Grant continued.

“Yes, his name was Morris.” Grant answered Hammond’s question.

“He’s going to see all our consultants,” Hammond said. “He went to see Ian Malcolm the other day—you know, the mathematician in Texas? That’s the first I knew of it. We’re having one hell of a time getting a handle on this thing, it’s typical of the way government operates, there isn’t any complaint, there isn’t any charge, just harassment from some kid who’s unsupervised and is running around at the taxpayers’ expense. Did he bother you? Disrupt your work?”

“No, no, he didn’t bother me.” Grant responded.

“Well, that’s too bad, in a way,” Hammond said, “because I’d try and get an injunction to stop him if he had. As it is, I had our lawyers call over at EPA to find out what the hell their problem is. The head of the office claims he didn’t know there was any investigation! You figure that one out. Damned bureaucracy is all it is. Hell, I think this kid’s trying to get down to Costa Rica, poke around, get onto our island. You know we have an island down there?”

“No,” Grant said, looking at Ellie and Twilight, “I didn’t know.”

“Oh yes, we bought it and started our operation oh, four or five years ago now. I forget exactly. Called Isla Nublar—big island, hundred miles offshore. Going to be a biological preserve. Wonderful place. Tropical jungle. You know, you ought to see it, Dr. Grant.”

“Sounds interesting,” Grant said, “but actually—”

“It’s almost finished now, you know,” Hammond said interjecting Grant. “I’ve sent you some material about it. Did you get my material?”

“No, but we’re pretty far from—”

“Maybe it’ll come today. Look it over. The island’s just beautiful. It’s got everything. We’ve been in construction now thirty months. You can imagine. Big park. Opens in September next year. You really ought to go see it.”

“It sounds wonderful, but—”

“As a matter of fact,” Hammond said, “I’m going to insist you see it, Dr. Grant. I know you’d find it right up your alley. You’d find it fascinating.”

“I’m in the middle of—” Grant said.

“Say, I’ll tell you what,” Hammond said, as if the idea had just occurred to him. “I’m having some of the people who consulted for us to go down there this weekend. Spend a few days and look it over. At our expense, of course. It’d be terrific if you’d give us your opinion.”

“I couldn’t possibly,” Grant said.

“Oh, just for a weekend,” Hammond said, with the irritating, cheery persistence of an old man. “That’s all I’m talking about, Dr. Grant. I wouldn’t want to interrupt your work. I know how important that work is. Believe me, I know that. Never interrupt your work. But you could hop on down there this weekend, and be back on Monday.”

“No, I couldn’t,” Grant said. “I’ve just found a new skeleton and—”

“Yes, fine, but I still think you should come—” Hammond said, not really listening.

Ellie shook her head, annoyed by Hammond’s constant interruptions and his refusal of a reasonable conversation. Even Twilight, who’s eyes were now narrowed, was more than mildly irritated as well.

“And we’ve just received some evidence for a very puzzling and remarkable find, which seems to be a living procompsognathid.” Grant said, finally drawing Hammond’s attention to the point at hand.

“A what?” Hammond said, slowing down. “I didn’t quite get that. You said a living procompsognathid?”

“That’s right,” Grant said. “It’s a biological specimen, a partial fragment of an animal collected from Central America. A living animal.”

“You don’t say,” Hammond said. “A living animal? How extraordinary.”

“Yes,” Grant said. “We think so, too. So, you see, this isn’t the time for me to be leaving—”

“Central America, did you say?”

“Yes.”

“Where in Central America is it from, do you know?”

“A beach called Cabo Blanco, I don’t know exactly where—”

“I see.” Hammond cleared his throat. “And when did this, ah, specimen arrive in your hands?”

“Just today.”

“Today, I see. Today. I see. Yes.” Hammond cleared his throat again.

Grant looked at both Ellie and Twilight and mouthed, What’s going on?

Ellie shook her head. Sounds upset.

Twilight nodded in agreement.

Grant mouthed, See if Morris is still here.
Ellie went to the window and looked out, but Morris’s car was gone. She turned back.

On the speaker, Hammond coughed. “Ah, Dr. Grant. Have you told anybody about it yet?”

“No.”

“Good, that’s good. Well. Yes. I’ll tell you frankly, Dr. Grant, I’m having a little problem about this island. This EPA thing is coming at just the wrong time.”

“How’s that?” Grant asked, puzzled by the sudden change in Hammond’s tone. Even Ellie and Twilight were surprised by Hammond’s sudden change in demeanor.

“Well, we’ve had our problems and some delays.… Let’s just say that I’m under a little pressure here…”

Twilight decided to use this opportunity to speak up. “Sir, what are you referring to?” She asked.

Silence.

Everyone waited patiently for Hammond’s response.

“Oh my god…” Hammond said breathlessly. “Did I hear that right? Mrs, you wouldn’t happen to be Twilight Sparkle, would you?” He asked.

Twilight nodded. “Yes, Mr. Hammond.” She confirmed the statement.

From the speaker Hammond was laughing in disbelief. “My God. Are you telling me that you’re Twilight Sparkle?” He said incredulously. “Are you telling me that I’m speaking to Twilight Sparkle herself? Oh, that’s just unbelievable. I mean, this is absolutely amazing. My word, I never thought I see the day.” Hammond cleared his throat again. “Well, I must say, it is a great honor to be speaking with you Mrs. Sparkle. It really is.”

“Thank you.” Twilight replied.

Ellie couldn’t help but chuckle. “Seems you’re really popular huh, Twilight?” She said to Twilight.

“I get that a lot,” Twilight replied with a smile.

“Now back to what I was saying,” Hammond continued, “I’d like you to look at this island for me. Give me your opinion. I’ll be paying you the usual weekend consultant rate of twenty thousand a day. That’d be sixty thousand for three days. And if you can spare Dr. Sattler, she’ll go at the same rate. We need a botanist. What do you say?”

Ellie looked at Grant as he said, “Well, Mr. Hammond, that much money would fully finance our expeditions for the next two summers.”

“Good, good,” Hammond said blandly. He seemed distracted now, his thoughts elsewhere. “Ms. Sparkle—“

“You can call me Twilight, Mr. Hammond.”

“Ah of course, of course. Twilight, if you would have it, I’d like to invite you to my island as well. It would be a great honor to not only have the ambassador of Equestria to step foot on the island but I would also like to hear your opinion as well. What do you say?”

Both Alan and Ellie glanced at each other before looking at Twilight, waiting.

“Is the island safe?” Twilight asked Hammond.

“Absolutely,” Hammond said. “Correct me Twilight, if I’m mistaken, but I believe there were supposedly six ambassadors—and they happened to be your friends, correct?”

“Right.”

“Then could you be a dear and maybe bring them as well?” Hammond asked politely.

“Well,” Twilight glanced at the floor, thinking it over then nodded. “Okay. If you think it will be beneficial, I’ll try to arrange it. I’ll have to check if my friends have the free time to tag along though. But hopefully if they are free we can leave whenever you’re ready to pick me and my friends up.”

“Excellent.” Hammond paused. “I want this to be easy.… Now, I’m sending the corporate jet to pick you up at that private airfield east of Choteau. You know the one I mean? It’s only about two hours’ drive from where you are. You be there at five p.m. tomorrow and I’ll be waiting for you. Take you right down. Can you three make that plane?”

“I guess we can.” Alan responded.

“Good. Pack lightly. You don’t need passports. I’m looking forward to it. See you tomorrow,” Hammond said, and he hung up.

The trailer was eroded in silence after Hammond had ended his call.

Twilight sighed. “Well,” she said, turning toward the phone, “I should start making calls.”