• Published 5th Mar 2023
  • 649 Views, 23 Comments

The Runaway... Ears?... - Lulamoon-Crystal



Dammit, Jazz’s ears escaped again

  • ...
1
 23
 649

Hard to catch

Jazz gasped as she spotted her ears jump into some flowers at Dahlia’s flower stand. She was standing around watering them, not noticing the dislocated ears running around. All Jazz needed to do was near over and grab the ears without Dahlia noticing. It would be just terrible if Dahlia saw her earless state again. “Guys, c’mon, it’s not time for hide and seek!” Jazz whimpered. She looked at the pots and bouquets of flowers, all neatly organised on the stand. “Where’d you go?” Jazz was careful to not be too rough as she gently shifted some around to search for her ears.

It wasn’t long before Dahlia noticed her, “Oh!” She exclaimed as she went towards Jazz. Soon noticing that Jazz’s ears were gone. It actually brought back a few memories of when she was younger. “Oh my...” She said softly, remembering the times she would get bullied as a filly when her ears went missing. Honestly, Dahlia had forgotten Jazz’s ears went missing as often as they did. They hadn't run away since magic retuned, so she assumed that fixed them up.

Dahlia gasped as she saw something jump into some of her pots from the side of her eyes. That must have been one of the ears! Well, hopefully. “Jazz! I think I saw one jump into that one!” She called out softly to get Jazz’s attention and point her the right way.

“Thanks Dahlia!” Jazz happily hurried to the pot she pointed at. Only to step on the end of a rake, causing the stick part to strike her right in the face. Jazz stepped back in shock about the impact. “Ouch!”

“Ooooh. Are you okay, Jazz?” Dahlia asked, deeply concerned. She had no idea where the rake came from. She certainly did not put a rake there.

Jazz rubbed her forehead, where the rake slammed. “Y-yeah, I’m fine...” Jazz stepped forward again, making the same mistake. “Ouch!” She learned from this and went around the rake to the pot. She softly pushed the flowers aside to see her missing ear laying there. Gently grabbing it in her hoof, she sighed. “You’re in big trouble... okay, where is your twin... wha?” She noticed the ear in her hoof was now glowing. Soon a bee was seemly teleported near it.

“Did you just teleport?... a bee!? You have magic!?” She asked it, not noticing more bees nearby until she heard buzzing. “Hmmm?” She soon gasped, seeing the swarm, but not noticing her ear jump out from her hoof. “Yikes!” She cried as the bees started to chase her.

Jazz was running in circles, trying to get away from the bees. She jumped over another pony. The bees ignored them. All Dahlia could do was watch in shock and worry. As much as Jazz didn’t want to get stung, running wasn’t enough. Before she knew it, the bees surrounded her and attacked.

“Oh! Ouch!” Dahlia cringed as she heard Jazz get beaten up by bees. She looked back at where the ear had been dropped. “Why are you two so mean to her?” She asked it. “Jazz?” She worried as the bees flew away, leaving behind said pony with a mess of stings on her body.

“Ow...” Jazz looked at herself, “Oh dear...” She stormed back angrily to scold the single ear. “Hey you!” She exclaimed in the spot it was, only to find it was gone. Again. She groaned and placed a hoof on her head. “Where’d it go, now?” She sighed. “Ow...” she groaned, getting a headache.

“Okay, caught that!” Posey was nearby laughing, “Oh, your ears are gone. Again!? Have you seriously not sorted that out yet? Wow!” She exclaimed.

Jazz was visibly hurt... She looked down with a sigh, deciding to ignore her rude remark. “Have you at least... happened to see where they have gone?” She asked nicely.

“Hmmph... well... I may have seen them running that way....” Posey scoffed

“Really? Thank you, Posey!” Jazz smiled as she ran towards the street Posey pointed towards. She hurried ahead, getting hit by a water balloon along the way. It hit her right in the face. She stood there in shock as freezing cold water dripped from her muzzle. At first she thought it was the ears that threw it.

They did teleport a bunch of bees to attack her, so no doubt that sudden water balloon came from them!

“Oh. Sorry Dazz...” A nearby foal said, getting her name wrong. “I meant to throw that at him,” The foal said as he pointed at another foal with a water gun. He quickly dodged a water balloon and squirted at the filly that threw it.

“Oh, it’s actually, Jazz. But that’s alright!” Jazz smiled at the colt that apologised. “Have fun!” She smiled as she trotted off. Soon she saw her ears dancing in the middle of the street.

“Ah... ha!” She dashed towards them. Getting very annoyed, only for them to teleport a random pegasus pony carrying a box. Which Jazz had no time to avoid. So she crashed into him, sending his box flying. It opened up midair. Revealing sacks of flour, which all broke open either as they flew in the air or on impact on the ground. Kind of sending a large cloud of flour around, like dust from an explosion. The flour covered Jazz and the other pony. She got up quickly, stretching a hoof out to the pony she crashed into. “I-I’m so sorry! I...” She whimpered as the tall pegasus stallion glared at her, getting up by himself. He growled before slapping her hoof and walking away.

“Jealous of my flour, I bet...” he muttered under his breath. “My poor tasty flour...” He added as he walked away.

Jazz looked at her hoof he slapped. It didn’t hurt, more felt like a high-hoof. Except it wasn’t. “Sorry...” She said softly as she him leave. Shaking her tail to remove the flour from it, she also wiped the stuff from her face. “Oh no... My ears are still gone, aren’t they?” She looked around to see ponies staring at her.

“Is it just me... or is that earth pony... missing his ears?” A pegasus asked her unicorn friend, who nodded in advance. She heard ponies discuss her missing ears and the flour incident as a crowd gathered around her.

“Oh no... now they know!” Jazz cried out in horror and sadness. Her heart dropped as she stared at all the ponies. Some pointed and laughed, while some took pictures.


It wasn’t long before Jazz located her ears again. She was chasing them just out of town, getting angrier. “Get back here, you stupid things!” She exclaimed as she gave chase. Annoyed, she hurriedly chased them up a hill, sweating a bit as she reached the top. Stopping under the cool shade of a tree. “Please... stop this...” She whined, tears forming in her eyes. One of them went up to her. “I don’t understand why you hate me so much!” Her voice cracked as she took a step back, with worry. “You’re not gonna hurt me, right?” She asked it nicely.

Jazz put her hoof towards it and let it jump on. “So... are you gonna be a good ear and... well... be where you’re supposed to be?” She asked it. The ear stayed there, not moving at all. Jazz had a sigh of relief as she calmed down and felt the cool, relaxing breeze up against her.

It was gentle, she could still here the ruffling of the leaves from the tree above her. It was a few seconds before any words were spoken. “Look. I know you just want to run around and have fun. But you cannot do this anymore! I have a job and well... some unicorn and pegasi have just moved in not long ago. Some don’t even trust each other yet! Also, they are just learning about magic! They don’t know about you guys. It’s best we introduce you to each other when it’s all calmed down... Okay?” She looked at it apologetically, “It’s just well... ears popping off one’s head is so unusual, other ponies are gonna be freaked out by it. Somone’s gonna get hurt, and we don’t want that, right?”

The ear jumped up and down. “I cannot understand what you’re trying to tell me...” Jazz looked at it confused. “What is it, little fella?” She asked curiously, hoping she could understand what it was trying to say. But soon enough something small, hard and round hit her right in the head. “Ow! What was that?” She looked up at the branches of the tree she was under. Just to see her other ear jumping up and down on the branches of the apple tree. Loosening the apples. Another hit her on the muzzle as she looked out. “Ouch!”

As she exclaimed in pain, the other ear jumped out from her hoof and started to run. “You set me up! Hey!” She exclaimed as she chased after it. The other ear soon joined it, running away from Jazz. They ran a circle around the tree before going to the edge of the hill. Each one pulling on each end of a string, making it, so Jazz tripped over. She went rolling down the hill, the ears teleported to create a ramp out of a plank and a rock. Jazz ended up flying from the plank, into the air.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah!” She cried in fear.


The same pegasus stallion from before was walking with a unicorn. The unicorn was carrying- dragging- a huge, heavy cactus plant in a pot in her magic. “Ugh... this is one heavy plant...” She responded.

“Careful with it.” The pegasus responded, rudely. “I’ve carefully raised it from a seed... when I was 1 year old...”

“Likely story...” Grunted the unicorn, “I doubt you even knew what a cactus was yet! Also, do cacti really come from seeds?”

“What do you know?” Scoffed the stallion

“Well, Sir. I am part of... wait... do you hear... screaming?” She asked as she looked around. Before she knew it, a teal blur ripped the cactus right out of her magic aura, crashing nearby.

The stallion cried out loud, “Nooo! Mr. Sprinkle MCFluffyBottoms!” He gasped as he saw Jazz get up off the broken cactus, covered in spikes. He ignored Jazz who was apologising as she got off the cactus. He mourned it as he sat near it, no one noticed Jazz backed away as he cried dramatically. He then faced the unicorn, “You weren’t careful! I’ll tell your manager, and you’ll get fired! Are you listening!?”

The unicorn took her eyes off from her phone. “Oh, I got a text from my boss. Gotta go!” She teleported away.

“Get back here!!” The stallion shouted as Jazz watched from a distance, feeling horrible. Even if it wasn’t her own fault. Soon, the stallion sighed, “I only had this cactus for three days...” He then stormed off, “Just my luck!”

Jazz sadly looking at the broken cactus left behind. Maybe she can make it up for him? “Oh dear. I hope he likes cookies... Maybe I can make some. That cactus seemed important to him...” She wondered. Then she heard her ears making raspberry noises nearby. Despite not having tongues.

The ears were jumping up and down again, they ran around Jazz, making her a little dizzy. Then she saw them further away. Standing on the patch of grass seemingly about a few feet in away from her, Jazz growled as she walked towards them. “Okay. I am so tired of you both! This is seriously getting out of hoof!” She marched towards them. “You never were this much of a pain!” She scolded, ignoring the mud she stepped in. But then in a few steps her legs were stuck in place. She paused as she tried to left a leg.

“What? Wait? Wait, I can’t move?” She looked down in confusion. Her legs felt wet and gooey. Also, she seemed to have been slowly getting lower and lower... The wet mud creeping up her legs. Her eyes turned wide in horror. “Wait- no! I’m sinking! Help!” She cried, the mud was halfway up her legs no. “Help!” She cried, “Somepony! Help!” She was crying now, the mud reaching the belly, “Please! I don’t wanna die!” She called out, The ears jumped onto her head, unnoticed by Jazz who was in distress.

She was crying, frantically trying to to get free, only to keep sinking. Jazz believed she was going to die... Okay, maybe not die. Just be all muddy and humiliated. The mud would take ages to get out her tail and mane. Her heart was beating radically as her breathing became heavier. “Help!” She cried. Soon enough the mud was up to her chest, where it stopped.

“I’m sinking!” Jazz cried, not realising she had stopped, “Is any pony out there!?” She whimpered before staring at the distance. She didn’t seem to notice she was not going down any lower. Until she looked at her chest, she could see not moving going any deeper, and it didn’t seem the mud was going any higher. She took some breathes as she processed this.

“I-I stopped?” Jazz sighed in relief. Her legs felt heavy under all that mud. She groaned a bit as she walked out from the deep mud. Jazz groaned. “What now? I’m hurt, muddy, wet and smelly! What else do you want!?” She cried, unaware that the ears were not where she could see them. Jazz looked down at her muddy, wet body. Tail, hooves, belly, torso were all covered and dripping with mud.

“Yuck!” Jazz shook her hind leg. Then gasped, realising she was basically only on a grassy, solid patch of a large muddy ditch. She groaned, then noticed a few rocks through. Hoping she could climb over rocks and use them a stepping stones to not get anymore muddy, she started climbing over a rock. It was slippery, she laid on her belly and climbed with all four hooves. But she managed to get on top of the round rock.

There was was another rock near it. She just needed to jump on. But that was easily said than done. It was a bit too far to grab, so she needed to jump. Her legs shook as she stood up on the rock she was on currently, but she stepped forward and got ready to jump. After a few breaths, she did the leap.

To her horror, as stood as she landed, she slipped on her tummy. Then helplessly slid down. She scrambled up, but ended slipping as she stood on top. Face planting straight into the mud below.


Jazz who was now bruised and muddy. Wet mud soaked her all over as she walked towards town. Hanging her head in shame. She felt like she was just about to start crying. Soon she stopped in her tracks, glancing at the town. Soon she looked at herself. Muddy fur and mane. She kicked her hind leg, mud dropped down it. “Ugh... I can’t go into town looking like... this!”

Patches of dried mud covered her legs, plus belly. Her tail was absolutely brown as a result. Hairs were stuck together as a result, making her tail more stiff. Even her mane was filled with mud, she even could have sworn she felt something crawling in there. Jazz just wanted to go home and have a bath. But she needed to get through town to get to her house!

“Hey Jazz!” A voice shouted, making her jump out from her skin. Whoever that was scared the heck out of her!

“Yikes!” She jumped up.

“Oh!” Did I scare you?” Izzy said apologetically with a slight smile.

“It’s fine Izzy. I just had a long day...” Jazz sniffled a bit and wiped her tears, rubbing more mud on her face.

“Seems like you had a very rough day...” Izzy glanced at Jazz, “You must be right. Pipp will freak with her new friend and employee looks like this! Don’t worry! I know what will get you Jazzed up!”

“Jazzed up?” Questioned Jazz.

“Yep!” Izzy responded, cheerfully, “Get it? Jazzed up?”

“No, I mean-“ Jazz’s question was soon interrupted.

“Let’s go!” Izzy exclaimed as she pulled Jazz towards the Brighthouse in her magic. When Izzy bounced happily, so did Jazz in her magic.