• Published 5th Mar 2023
  • 635 Views, 23 Comments

The Runaway... Ears?... - Lulamoon-Crystal



Dammit, Jazz’s ears escaped again

  • ...
1
 23
 635

Where’d They Go?

It was a peaceful morning in Maretime Bay’s salon, Mane Melody. Jazz was happily seated on a stool, near her hoof care stuff, just painting her last own hoof with a new design. It consisted of very dark blue as the base colour. On top, it had tiny twinkling stars scattered all around. Resembling the night sky. When she was done, she was proud of her work. She looked at it with a smile. Ready to take a picture of them with her phone.

Meanwhile, Pipp was on the stage, listening to a tune from her own phone. It was relating to an upcoming performance that she wanted to do with Jazz and Rocky. It was nearly finished, she just needed to make some finals touches.

“Hmmm...” She listened to two lines of that new song she was making. Then she listened to another version of the same two lines. Wondering which was better. She liked both of them so much! It was hard to decide. Luckily, a friend was nearby. She could ask for second thoughts. “Maybe I should ask Jazz, maybe she might have an idea.” She got off the stage and walked towards the spot Jazz was seated.

Jazz smiled as Pipp approached her. “Oh hello, Pipp! How’s the new song?” She asked cheerfully. Wondering what parts she will sing and such. It was certain to be great! Well, she had heard some of the lyrics and instrumental already. She loved it!

“So far it’s great! Oh! Jazz! I just love your new hooficure, by the way. It’s just so pretty! Anyway I...” Pipp then paused as she stared up at her friend.

“Oh, thanks Pipp! I’m glad you like... them?” Jazz said, as she noticed Pipp’s excited expression turn to confusion. “Uh... why are you looking at me like that?” Jazz turned her head slightly.

“Oh, uhh... Is it just me? Or... Your...” Pipp muttered under her breath. “You mane doesn’t look any different than usual so why can’t I see...” She mumbled under her breath.

“Pipp?” Jazz raised a brow in confusion, wondering what she was looking at. She noticed Pipp flutter upwards and look at Jazz’s mane from other angles. “Have I got something in my mane?” She asked, wondering what on earth Pipp was up to.

Pipp gently moved Jazz‘s forelock aside and had a good look, even poking in a few places. She gently moved it back to how it was. “N-No... It just looks like... well... your ears are gone...” Pipp pointed out. “Are they... under your mane? Interesting style, never saw a pony comb their mane to flattern their ears against their head... but I’m sure you can pull it off!”

Jazz was really puzzled as she sat there. Pipp’s wings made a slight breeze blow in her face. “I didn’t style my mane over top of my ears, Pipp. What?” Jazz cocked her head, did she hear correctly? She stared at Pipp with a blank stare, she blink a few times before she opened her mouth. “Pipp... did you actually just say... that my ears... like my actual two ears. themselves, are gone?” She paused, “Like, actually not visible on my head, gone?”

“Yes, Jazz!” Pipp exclaimed as Jazz slowly put her hoof on her own head. Jazz noticed that Pipp looked slightly creeped out. “They’re like, gone! I cannot see them!”

Pipp noticed Jazz’s expression slowly turn to terror as she touched the area where her ears would usually be. “My... my ears!” She frantically felt for them, patting the spot where they should be. “No!” She screeched, “Where are they!?” She exclaimed as she jumped off the stool and hurried to a mirror as fast as her legs could carry her over. She stared into the mirror, heavily breathing. “No! No! No! They’re gone! My ears they’re gone... Again!” She shouted as she turned her head to see the sides of her head in the mirror to confirm the fact that her ears were indeed gone as she ruffled her mane slightly with a hoof. “They are truely gone! Oh! I really thought this stopped happening!” She cried out loud.

Pipp approached Jazz to try and calm her down. “It-It’s okay Jazz!” She tried to not panic as she stroked her friend’s back, starting from the withers and to the rump. She could feel Jazz was hyperventilating. “I’m sure we can figure-“ Then a brick of realisation hit her, she took her hoof off her back and glared at her. “W-Wait- Did you say... again? Like, this... this is not the first time they vanished?”

“Goodness no!” Jazz exclaimed, “This has been going on for as long as I can remember!” She exclaimed before sighing, “I used to always get teased and bullied for my ears... so I always checked they were on me before leaving the house... but now they are gone again! What do I do now!?” She was really freaking out as he voice cracked. “What do I do!? I can’t be seen like this! The bullies will- and then- Maybe some pegasi and unicorns might also- what do I do!?” Tears formed in her ears as she glared at her reflection.

“Jazz, Jazz, Jazz...” Pipp said to get her attention, petting her back “Have you figured out to get them to appear again? Like... do they turn invisible when you say or do anything specific? Or do they just shrink?” Maybe we can learn what it is and-“

“Oh!” Jazz whimpered out loud, “I just wish it were that simple!” Jazz loudly grumbled to herself as she looked at the ground and back at Pipp. “But no! They do not simply shrink or turn invisible!”

“What... what do they do then?” Pipp asked, looking up at her, concerned.

“Oh. It’s terrible: They pop off and run away! Like they just think that’s okay!” Jazz said like it was very normal but annoying thing.

“They... pop off and... run away?” Pipp was getting more and more puzzled, “Like, they grow legs and run away? How is that even possible!?”

Jazz nodded to confirm “Indeed! This... whatever this is has never, ever been heard of before! So when my parents took me to the doctors about it when I was a filly, I never got an answer! And I cannot!” Jazz was getting annoyed about her ears as she explained like it was the worst thing that had ever happened to her. “I cannot!” She repeated, “I literally cannot tell you how many examinations, theories and visits I had! Heck! I even tried wearing fake ones! But they vanish in the morning when my real ones return!”

“Wha?” Pipp stared at Jazz with a blank stare. She was the most confused she had ever been. Was this even real right now? It took a while for Pipp to gather herself. “O-okay... so... these uh... runaway ears are... well... unfortunate, sorry you have to go through this, Jazz! But I’m here to help. So, do you know how to call them back to you?”

Jazz sighed and shook her head, “No, I do not... if I fail to find them, then they always teleport on my head at 12 at night...”

“Well, seeing as you don’t want to wait till midnight. Guess we have to look for them!” Pipp smiled, “No one has opened a door or window since both of us got here. So they must be in the salon somewhere!”

Jazz took a breath in and out, “I guess you’re right, Pipp... let’s go look!”

Pipp flew around slowly and gently, looking for any sign of Jazz’s missing ears... which was pretty weird, but this was really happening... yep... this was real... Jazz rushed around, whimpering when each spot she looked didn’t have them. “C’mon, Leftie, Rightie! Where are you!?” She cried out.

Pipp looked at Jazz again, “You named them?”

Jazz whimpered as she looked under a chair, “Yes, in hope they will come to me one day when I call them!” She sighed as she got up, “They haven’t done this since the return of your magic!”

Pipp glared as Jazz hurried to a cupboard and looked inside. She was looking at her new friend in a whole new light. She would have never expected her to have... magic ears.

Soon, Rocky walked in from another room. Then he noticed Jazz looking under a cupboard and Pipp looking at places that would’ve too high up for Jazz to look. This was confusing him, judging by the look on their faces, whatever they were looking for was important. “Huh? What are you guys looking for? Is everything okay?” He was a bit concerned as her saw how worried Jazz was. He could have sworn her ears were gone, but shrugged it off.

“Oh,” Pipp flew down near him, “Jazz lost her ears...” She said casually.

“Oh okay- wait...” Rocky paused and stared at Pipp, “Jazz lost her... what?” Rocky asked, wondering if he heard her right. “Did you say she lost her ears?!” He was in shock and disbelief. “Oh no! Is she okay!?”

“Well... she’s kinda scared about being seen without them. So I’m helping...” Pipp responded with a smile.

“Oh wow... I didn’t know she needed prosthetic ears...” Rocky was a bit surprised that he didn’t notice. But he didn’t want to go into detail, even tho he was curious. He didn’t want to be responsible to bring up and traumatic memories of Jazz from whatever accident caused her ears to be destroyed. Assuming she wasn’t simply born with a disability that was related to not having ears.

“They’re not prosthetic, they are real!” Jazz hurried over. “And yes! They’re gone, they just pop off and ran away! First time they left me since the return of magic! Have you seen them?” She pointed to her head with a hoof as she stared at him with hope.

Rocky stared at where her ears usually were. So they were real. But what on earth was making them just come and go like that? Does it hurt when they just come off her head? And how to they run away without legs? This was hurting his brain a bit, how on earth was any of that possible!? Is Jazz even a pony? “Uh... Your ears just come and go... and they are not prosthethics? Okay... well... I don’t think I’ve seen-” He stared at Jazz’s head, then it started to process... He gasped as he remembered something “Oh... wait... oh... so that’s what those things were?”

“Huh?” Pipp responded. “What do you mean? Did you see them?”

“You found them!?” Jazz smiled.

“Yeah... I saw some turquoise ear-shaped things on the ground...” He responded, “I thought it was some of the junk the raccoons left behind from their party last night...” He responded, looking nervous. Last night, some raccoon and other critters had a party in their salon while no pony was around. Because somepony forgot to close the window! He was so horrified at the situation.

“Oh, okay,” Jazz responded. Sighing in relief as she headed towards the rubbish bin. “Thanks!”

“Uh... Jazz... I kinda... took out the trash already...” He responded nervously.

Jazz froze and turned around. Face turning into horror, “You what!?” She shrieked at Rocky, “This can’t be happening!”
She cried as she quickly grabbed a straw hat to hide her lack of ears before rushing outside. “I can’t have our customers see me like this!” She cried.

“I.... what’s even going on?” Rocky was confused.

“I am as puzzled as you...” Pipp responded.


As fast as she could, Jazz hurried to the large dumpster bin and shoved it open. Only to gasp in horror. Waves of sadness and disbelief rushed through her as she saw that... she was too late. It was empty. “No...” She looked around, to see no sign of them. They must be heading to the big dumpster, meaning they will get destroyed. “No! No! My ears! They were in here...” She said quietly, quiet enough, so no pony heard her. Well, on the bright side, if they are destroyed, it means prosthetic ones won’t... just be replaced by her real ones every midnight. Hopefully.

Jazz left the dumpster open as she turned around. Her head hung low as got ready to slowly walk back to the salon. “Why me?” She sighed, knowing that she finally lost her ears for good. She tried not to cry as she took a few steps before noticing a small cardboard box moving slowly. “What?” She questioned as she slowly moved towards it. After rolling her eyes, the pulled the box away. Revealing her two turquoise ears, now sentient. “Aha!” she exclaimed. Before, they started to run away, using two thin legs made of magic. “Get back here!” She shouted.

As she ran after them, her hat blew off. “No! Don’t let anyone see you!” She shouted as they went down the Main Street. Sunny gasped in shock as she watched Jazz run past her smoothie stand. Was she just chasing her ears? Sunny had to have a second take as she watched in shock at a grown mare running around a table. Chasing something that should very much be stuck to her head permanently.

This was not something she expected to witness this morning... She wasn’t the only witness, either. Zipp, Hitch and Izzy were chatting and drinking smoothies, well, they were before they noticed Jazz. Zipp was watching Jazz in a mix of confusion and terror. Hitch was watching her with shock and concern. Izzy was also concerned, and confused. “Are her ears supposed to come off like that?” She asked as Jazz ran circles around the table.

As quick as a rabbit, ears jumped on top of the table that the trio was on. Without thinking, Jazz, now dizzy, jumped on the edge. Sending the three pony’s smoothies into the air like a catapult. Jazz gasped in shock before two of the three smoothies splattered all over her, in her mane and on her fur. They were so chunky, slimy and gross. She was now all sticky. She groaned in disgust as she got up. Shaking her head to get the excess smoothie off.

“I’m so sorry!” She groaned as she stared at the three ponies. Hitch was just concerned while Izzy was snickering a bit at the sight of Jazz. The annoyed one was Zipp. She had her forelegs crossed, staring at Jazz. As a plus, one of the three smoothies ended up splatted all over her. The cup was perfectly laid on her head like a hat, while the straw was perfectly balanced on her muzzle. Plus she growled slightly.

Jazz gasped as she saw the ears runnng away. She gasped in shock and chased after them, not wanting any pony else to see!

Sunny walked over with three more smoothies for the trio that didn’t get to drink theirs. “Oh no... I thought that was cured when magic returned! What caused it?” She wondered as she hoped Jazz would catch them soon. Sure their shenanigans were funny, but she could soon hurt or embarrass herself. Also, no pegasi or unicorn knew about this. So it was no doubt she was gonna become a laughing stock again by any of them that thought it was funny. Or even worse, thought their ‘earth ponies are dumb’ theory is true.

“Yeah... poor Jazz...” Hitch worried, “I just hope no pony bullies her for it again...”

“Yeah... there’s gotta be a cure somewhere!” Added Zipp