• Published 17th Mar 2023
  • 391 Views, 30 Comments

Crystalforged - SilverNotes



Two creatures travel into the depths of a far-off ice world on a mission: Find the tomb of the last alicorn.

  • ...
2
 30
 391

Chromoly

The chaospawn lay in pieces. Those pieces were still making an attempt to attack them, but making such laughable progress at it that it was safe to soar over or step around them, and deeper into the metal hall. Rutile landed on the floor again, but she barely felt it against her hooves. Everything felt a little bit detached, like she was feeling only the echoes of the sensations. The new crystal pseudo-wings didn't move, but they didn't have to; they were really only there for show, not too unlike the wing-like structures that the three umbrum had.

Not very unlike them at all.

"Soon we will be done with this place. Once we've slain the empress, I will use this body's magic to create more umbrum, and we will spread across this planet, and this galaxy. The age of alicorns will finally end, and we will no longer have to fear the selfless, loving acts of crystal ponies locking us away."

"Root...?"

Rutile's head turned sluggishly, like it was moving through syrup, and her eyes landed on Tundra, her hooves click-clicking their approach. Her worry cut through the haze of Rutile's senses, and everything came into sharper focus. Tundra was still worried about her, even after she'd snapped at her like that.

Why did I snap at her like--?

"But perhaps, before the alicorn, we should start with ridding ourselves of this reindeer."

Rutile's horn lit, and the shadows bubbling around it made Tundra draw back again.

Then crystal blue consumed ink black, and Rutile grabbed her mental spider by its intangible legs. And that is where you've bucked up.

"How are--?!"

I think you misunderstand the situation you're in. Cracks started to run through the crystal on her side, leg, and sprouting from her back. More blue light poured from them, and Bizra, Morga, and Thana hissed and shrank away from the brightness. I'm not trapped in this body with you. You're trapped with me.

Pain lanced through her head and body. "You insolent little--"

Go ahead, give me a headache. Make me toss my cookies. Make me pass out from it. I don't care. The cracks continued to spread as Rutile clenched her teeth against the fire in her every muscle. I made a vow, and we're going to fulfill it. Tundra and I are going to restore the empress, and you're not laying a hoof on either of them.

The black crystal shattered with a burst of light, and the shards littered the ground. The heart of quartz was still firmly embedded in her chest, but everything else had fallen away to reveal flesh and fur again. She looked at the three umbrum, and offered an apologetic smile, "Sorry about the lightshow. Dark magic doesn't really agree with me."

Morga seemed to smile back. It was hard to tell with such skull-like faces. "It'sss okay. We underssstand the feeling, sssince love magic doesssn't agree with usss."

Tundra's hasty shield faded, and she stared at Rutile wide-eyed as she approached. "Are you... okay?"

"I'll be more okay when we're out of here," she said with a sigh, the aches in her body still fading. "But I'm... better. Sorry for scaring you."

"Forgiven." Tundra breathed a deep sigh. "But I think we both could use a rest, before we go any further."

Rutile nodded her agreement. "We can take a breather up ahead."


In the tradition of space-travel-suitable rations everywhere, the mix was as nutritious as it was tasteless, which was good, because it would have to be packed with a lot of nutrition to make up for the effort required to chew it. She'd found a clean bit of floor to loaf on and eat, and Tundra was a bundle of legs as she leaned against her, giving her own ration pack a few nibbles.

They had offered some of their food to the umbrum siblings, but been turned down. They didn't need to eat--Rutile had figured, what with being locked up for millennia and still being alive, but it'd felt polite to offer--and so only tended to consume food for the experience of it. They didn't want to drain the resources of the creatures who actually needed the sustenance... and the unspoken part seemed to be that there was nothing they saw worth experiencing in the contents of the ration packs. Instead of eating, the three seemed to be taking a nap, laying together in a pile.

The weight of Tundra leaning against her was as surprising as it was welcome. Usually the doe had only pressed close when fearful, and only reached out when doing so to help patch her up. There had been no casual, friendly contact throughout their journey, and Rutile couldn't remember anymore if that was from a lack of her trying or Rutile subconsciously rebuffing any attempts. It also didn't hurt; when the crystal had broken off, the flesh beneath had been pristine, and she'd take that as one upside of the whole affair

Tundra's eyes fell on the quartz, and she slowly chewed her bite before swallowing and speaking. "You're possessed, aren't you? There's a mind in there, still. Enough to influence you."

"Enough to try," Rutile admitted with her own glance downward. "You've seen something like this before, I take it?"

Tundra's ears drooped and she looked at the floor. "There was a vault placed by one of the splinter factions that the Griffonians fractured into post-Exodus. The others on the expedition kept arguing about which one." She breathed a tiny laugh, before her tone turned even more sombre. "There was a golden idol in it infused with complex magics that had been protected against decay. It took over one of us and drove them to attack the others."

Rutile's stomach churned, and it had nothing to do with the quality of the food. "And let me guess, before they turned on you, they claimed they felt fine?"

"Got it in one."

Rutile leaned over, and nuzzled the top of Tundra's head. "I'm sorry for bringing back such bad memories." She withdrew again, smiling at the wide-eyed look on her face from the affection. "But don't worry, even dark magic can't make me an oathbreaker. I made a vow, and I'll see it through, and this hunk of rock can't do anything about it."

"I'm starting to wish you hadn't." Tundra tentatively leaned more, and offered a brief nuzzle to Rutile's neck. She then pulled back with a sigh. "It was bad enough when the Order sent that bounty hunter after us. But since we've stepped in here you've gotten nothing but hurt. And what happens when the vow's fulfilled?"

Rutile felt that she had a much better understanding of why Tundra had been in that watering hole alone now. She shrugged. "Then the empress helps me get it off."

"You sound convinced she's alive in there."

Rutile nodded toward her mark. "When my family figured out I was a crystal pony and told me, my mark showed up, and I knew two things for certain: That I'm the only crystal, and that the empress is alive somewhere. It's like an extra sense on top of my empathetic one."

"And what if she can't reverse this?"

"Then she can teach me how to better control it."

"And if she can't do that either?"

Another shrug. "Then I guess I'm the next thing that ends up sealed underground where it can't hurt anyone."

"You wouldn't dare."

Rutile gave a grim smile as she heard the mental hiss. I would, and I will. This is my body, not yours, and I make the rules. If you don't like it, get the Tartarus off my chest.

"All this time later, and you crystal ponies are still so self-sacrificing. It makes me sick."

Like I said, if you don't like it, leave. The smile softened to something more encouraging, and Rutile nudged Tundra. "Hey, don't be so glum. This is going to be an amazing discovery. You'll be the deer who brought alicorns back."

"And the umbrum," Tundra added bitterly.

Rutile looked at the snoozing pile of shadows. Did they look a bit more solid than they had earlier? "As long as I'm in control, they're on our side. The empress can decide if she wants to give them a chance further than I have."

The conversation lapsed into silence, and for a time, their only companion was the sounds of their chewing, and the fact that Thana had started to snore.

"When this is over..." Tundra ventured quietly. "If she can get that gem off, or help you with control... what do you think you'll do?"

Another lapse of silence. "I don't know," she admitted. The answer of go home was nearly on her lips, but she discarded it. For a visit, maybe, but she didn't think she'd be able to go back to a quiet little hundreds-strong planetary settlement anymore. "My most important vow I ever made was to try to uncover all I could about my heritage. My mark is essentially for being a crystal pony. Once the empress is back, she might have a job for me, but if she doesn't..." Rutile offered a hopeful smile. "I don't suppose you might want to take me on as a permanent bodyguard?"

Tundra smiled back. "You can be a reckless, caustic pain in my rump, Root, and you keep too many secrets." She chuckled and shook her head. "But I wouldn't have anypony, or anyone, else watching my back."

"Oh for my own body, so that I could vomit."

Get used to it. Or don't and get out of me. Rutile nodded. "Then it's a plan. If we don't have new Imperial jobs at the end of this, it'll be you and me and the stars." She raised a hoof, and Tundra raised her own to bump against it.

And for the first time in a long time, Rutile felt good about the future.