• Published 26th Dec 2022
  • 221 Views, 11 Comments

Night Reigns Book 2: Expedition Harmony - tursi



Sunset Shimmer and Sterling Honor undertake their mission to retrieve the Elements of Harmony

  • ...
2
 11
 221

Chapter 5

The stunning architecture of the Crystal Empire caused rainbows of light to be refracted everywhere, but Sunset found it hard not to stare at the equally stunning crystal ponies. True to their name, they looked as if they were carved from living crystal, and also refracted the light around themselves. Finally, she was forced to look away as the train stopped at the station and the doors were opened.

Sterling, Trixie and Sunset exitted the train and collected their bags without incident. Trixie immediately opened her saddlebags and pulled out a scarf, warm boots and a woolen hat. Sunset had to admit that Trixie did seem prepared, especially as they exitted the station and the cold winter winds blasted their faces.

"I forgot how cold it was up here!" complained Sunset.

Sterling chuckled, but a passing crystal pony sneered at her.

"Then maybe you regular ponies should stay in Canterlot and leave the Crystal Empire to the crystal ponies. We like it just fine!"

Sunset's jaw dropped as the pony moved off into the crowd. "That was rude!"

Sterling shook his head. "Nothing to worry about. I was warned there was the occasional malcontent. I guess we can't expect everypony to be friendly."

"Trixie is perfectly comfortable," offered Trixie. Sunset only rolled her eyes.

"Over here!" called Sterling. "I've found our coach!"

"We have a coach?" asked Sunset.

Sterling chuckled. "Of course. We're guests of Princess Luna herself."

A rather ornate crystal wagon sat near the curb, and the driver helped them load their bags, and held the door as they got into it. "Welcome to the Crystal Empire," he offered.

"Where are we going now?" asked Trixie as they settled into the coach. "Trixie has been travelling all day, and she wants another shower."

"After your four hour shower this morning?" asked Sunset, incredulous.

Sterling chuckled. "This coach will take us to the Crystal Castle, and we are scheduled to meet with Princess Luna. I'm not sure what she will be doing when we arrive, but I'm sure we won't have to wait long."

It didn't take long to reach the castle, magnificently rising taller than any other structure in the center of the city. From the train station, it was nearly a straight run along one of the many spokes that branched out from the center, and they were able to admire the beauty of the crystal all around them, shining and glowing in the ample moonlight. As they pulled up, they were surprised to see Princess Luna waiting for them in front of the castle steps, flanked by two crystal ponies wearing the armor of the Crystal Guard.

Princess Luna stood nearly as tall as Princess Celestia with a similarly tall and elegant build. Her coat was a deep blue and her horn spiraled an easy eightteen inches off the top of her head. Nestled against her horn was a small black crown, polished to gleam in the moonlight. Swirling off her head, her mane was a translucent blue plasma in continuous motion, sparkling with randomly appearing points of starlight as her magic fed through it. Her long neck fed down to a thin body supported by four long legs, each with a polished black shoe and guard capping the hoof. A black breastplate emblazened with a crescent moon wrapped around her chest and was secured behind her neck. Like her sister, she had large feathered wings folded at her sides, reaching back to her cutie mark, which was a black cloudy shape with a bright crescent moon. Her tail flowed behind her with the same magical plasma as her mane.

The coach door was opened, and Sterling stepped out first, dropping immediately into a bow. He was quickly followed by Sunset who likewise bowed, and then Trixie who was still acting as if in a dream. Sunset gave Trixie's leg a not-so-subtle kick and Trixie bowed as well.

Princess Luna smiled and dipped her head in recognition. "Please, friends, rise. Welcome to the Crystal Empire. I trust your journey was smooth?"

"Quite, your Highness," replied Sterling. He remained in his bow until after Trixie and Sunset had both returned to standing, and then stood at attention. Luna smiled at him.

"At ease, Sterling Honor," she told him, and he relaxed his stance just a little. Luna then approached Sunset and embraced her with a foreleg. "Sunset Shimmer, it is good to see you again." Luna then tilted her head as she looked at Trixie.

"You are the Great and Powerful Trixie," observed Luna.

Sunset's jaw dropped. "Wait! You know Trixie, Princess Luna?"

Trixie smirked and puffed out her chest proudly. "Well, of course Princess Luna will have heard of the Amazing and Stupendous Great and Powerful Trixie!"

Luna chuckled softly. "I fear that we may have caused her some inconveniences in the past." She smiled to Trixie. "Welcome to the Crystal Empire, and you have my apologies for the trouble you faced during Night."

Trixie looked confused for just a moment, but she quickly snapped to recognition. Then she smiled, and nodded her head. "Canterlot has reimbursed Trixie for her troubles and all has been forgiven!" Then, in a softer voice, she added, "But, thank you Princess."

Luna smiled, and then looked at them. "Please, come upstairs. I have had tea and haycakes prepared. We can spend some time catching up and I can give you the element."

Sterling nodded and moved towards the coach's baggage area. Luna tutted and shook her head. "Sterling Honor, you are a guest. The guard will handle the baggage. Come along!"

Luna led them up the stairs into the entrance, and the two guards busied themselves fetching the bags from under the coach. Inside the castle, the crystal lined walls were polished smooth. They were dark in some places and bright in others. Some parts of the walls carried the light from internal lamps, while others carried the silver glow from the moon outside. Some of the stands and displays were likewise crystal, and it was all very ornate.

Soon they reached an open room flanked by two more guards. The guards bowed as Luna approached and led the group through the double doors, which were closed behind them. Inside the room was a long table, and at one end of the table was set a tea service and a crystal tray stacked with a half dozen lightly frosted haycakes.

Luna sat at the head of the table, and Sunset took one of the next seats. Trixie sat next to Sunset and immediately reached for a haycake, while Sterling stood at attention on the other side of Princess Luna.

Luna lit her horn and levitated the teapot, pouring tea into each of their cups before setting it back down. As she did so, she chided Sterling.

"Sterling Honor, will you not sit down and join us for tea like a proper pony?"

Sterling actually stood stiffer. "I… I think I would prefer to stand, Ma'am."

Luna smiled and levitated his teacup to him. "Then at least stand easy and take your tea. That's an order!" She winked.

Sterling grimaced at first, but then he smiled and captured the teacup with his own magic. His stance became more comfortable as he nodded. "Yes, Ma'am. Thank you Ma'am."

Luna seemed satisfied and turned back towards Sunset as Trixie seemed focused on her snack. "So, Sunset Shimmer. Celestia tells me that you have already retrieved one other element?"

Sunset nodded, and took a small bite from her own haycake. It was delicious, almost as good as the little stand Trixie had led them to, but with a uniquely sweet icing. "Yes, Princess," replied Sunset after swallowing. "Actually, Trixie had it!"

Luna looked interested, and turned her attention towards Trixie, who was magically playing with the silverware. "Indeed?" asked Luna. "It would appear that you have a talent for locating powerful magic, Trixie."

"Yes, Trixie is amazing," replied Trixie distantly. Then she seemed to snap to attention and looked back at Luna. "I don't suppose you'd be able to return Trixie's Alicorn Amulet?"

Sterling notably stiffened up again, and Sunset gasped. But Luna only smiled and shook her head slowly. "No, I'm afraid that artifact no longer exists, Trixie."

Trixie looked disappointed. "Well, perhaps Trixie will find something else on the way to Las Pegasus…" She went back to work shaping the silverware.

Luna looked back to Sunset. "Las Pegasus?" she asked.

Sunset exhaled in frustration. "Trixie thinks there is an element there, and wants to go there next. But her source is the Weekly Whinny."

Luna made a thoughtful sound. "I'm not familiar with that publication."

Trixie interjected, still sounding distracted. "They had a lovely article about the crystal ponies wearing thicker socks than normal. Did you notice that, Princess?"

Luna seemed confused. "Socks are… rare. But I've seen a few…?"

"It's fine, Princess," replied Sunset. "They print silly stories to sell papers and most ponies don't take it very seriously."

Trixie huffed as Luna relented with some uncertainty. "I… see. Very well then. How has Celestia been? Her letters are fine but I have not seen her in months now."

"Oh," replied Sunset, smiling again. "She's doing really well, Princess. I haven't seen her this happy for a long time. She's really proud of you!"

Luna's ears drooped a bit. "I wonder if she should be," Luna said softly. "After all the evil I have done."

"Princess!" exclaimed Sunset. "You've been making amends! Look at all you've accomplished here already! The Crystal Empire is thriving!"

Luna sounded frustrated. "Yes, but… the crystal ponies know about my past as Nightmare Moon. Sometimes they call out at me and tell me to leave. They say I was never a crystal princess and don't deserve to lead them."

Sterling snorted. "They were not even here for Nightmare Moon. They have no cause to say anything." He immediately looked chagrined for speaking out.

Luna shook her head. "I really thought this would be the one place in all of Equestria where I wouldn't have to deal with that part of my past. But even if they weren't here, they still speak out, Sterling Honor."

"But," started Sunset hesitantly. "Celestia didn't mention reading any of that in any of your letters?"

Luna nodded, slowly. "I… would rather Celestia not know about this, yet. I am doing my best to reach out to the crystal ponies. But when I hear the dissent… sometimes I wonder if they even blame me for their banishment."

Sterling frowned a bit and shook his head. "That was King Sombra, your Highness, not you. I spoke to a pony who has talked to many crystal ponies. All but a few malcontents are grateful to you. Don't let them trouble you."

Luna sighed softly, and then nodded. "Perhaps you are right."

Sunset nodded as well. "Of course he is. Believe me, Princess, you can't let guilt lead you. I know first hand the way it plants doubts into your mind. You are doing good things here."

"These haycakes are especially good," mumbled Trixie through another one. Beside her plate, her napkin draped over silverware bent into the shape of a pony - the result resembled her own show outfit.

Luna managed a small smile. "You are all correct, of course. Well, let me at least present you with what you have come for." Her horn lit again, and she presented an oblong pink gem with sharp facets that rotated slowly before her face. "The Element of Kindness," she reported. "Although I can not say how it came to be here, we found it in the city." After a pause she added, somewhat wistfully. "It has been so long since I have seen the elements, it will be nice when you have brought them all together once again."

Even Trixie lifted her head to watch as Sunset took the element in her own magic, admiring it for a few moments before storing it in her saddlebag. "I hope you and Celestia will be able to activate them, Princess Luna."

Luna smiled wistfully. "Perhaps. We shall have to wait and see."

Conversation grew lighter, but as even that started to wane, Trixie insisted on performing some of her magic show. This seemed to lighten Princess Luna's mood even more, and she was grinning widely as Trixie rounded off her show with a personal card trick.

"And was your card… the THREE OF HEARTS?" declared Trixie dramatically, displaying the card from the top of her deck.

Luna's expression fell and she replied almost apologetically. "Oh, no… I'm so sorry, it was…"

Trixie raised a hoof in a quick snap. "Uh uh! Clearly Trixie's mistake, for your card never made it back into the deck at all!" She swished her hoof through Luna's ethereal mane and presented the card that suddenly appeared there. "The EIGHT OF CLUBS was there all along!"

Luna actually whinnied and stomped her hooves in appreciation. "Wonderful! I couldn't even detect the magic!"

Trixie bowed deeply and smiled widely as she reshuffled her card deck and stowed it back into her saddlebags. "Thank you, Princess!"

Luna wiped a tear of laughter from her eye as she looked around the group. "It has been wonderful seeing you all again, and meeting you, Trixie. But with apologies, I still have my nightly duties to get to. You may stay in here as late as you like, and the guards will take you to your rooms when you are ready to rest. Please see me before you leave in the morning."

Sterling and Sunset bowed as Luna got up to leave, and after a moment Trixie followed suit. "We will, Princess," said Sunset. "Thank you for your help and your hospitality."

After Luna left, Sunset looked over at Trixie, who was organizing her saddlebag.

"You're really into performing, aren't you?"

Trixie stopped what she was doing and looked up, serious. "It is Trixie's life calling. There is nothing else Trixie could do."

Sunset smiled. "You know, I might be able to teach you a little spell or two to help with the slight-of-hoof. I mean, you're really good, I can't even see how you do it when I know where to look. But, if you're interested…"

Trixie closed her saddlebag slowly, and smiled genuinely. "I might be…" she said softly.

***

Although the bed was comfortable and the room kept warm against the cold winds outside, Sunset was finding it difficult to sleep.

She found herself back in Ponyville from all those years ago, trapped in the courtyard waiting for the appearance of Princess Celestia. Ponies crowded the courtyard to the point where she could barely move, pressing fowards towards the balcony.

"Get back, everypony! It's not going to be Princess Celestia!" she cried out.

But the crowd ignored her warnings, pressing forward further. She found herself pressed to the very front of the crowd just as a flash of lightning revealed Nightmare Moon on the balcony. Then it was not just Nightmare Moon, but the corrupted Celestia stood beside her, sending a geyser of flame into the stormy night sky as the two of them laughed maniacally together.

"Oh no! No! This can't be!" cried Sunset. She realized her mistake and clamped her hooves over her mouth.

But it was too late. In a snap movement too fast to be real, both Nightmare Moon and Celestia focused their corrupted gaze upon her. The crowd of ponies pressed her ever closer, as the dark queens bared massive fangs and prepared to strike…

"AHHHHH!" screamed Sunset as she snapped awake.

Her door slammed open and Sterling was standing there in an offensive stance. "Sunset Shimmer! Are you all right?" he demanded.

Sunset yelped again at the surprise, and placed a hoof over her chest to calm her racing heart. She nodded, slowly. "Just… just a bad dream."

Sterling's eyes were all that moved as he scanned the room slowly. Finally satisfied, his stance relaxed a little and he stepped into the room, nodding.

"It's this castle," he offered gently. "I had trouble sleeping myself. Keep thinking back to the things I saw in Sombra's traps."

Sunset nodded slowly. "I guess it's true that our last visit wasn't really very comfortable, at least at first. Do you think we should tell Princess Luna?"

Sterling shook his head. "No," he asserted. "Princess Luna is already under enough stress. What if she felt bad for not coming to resolve your… our bad dreams in time? It's just bad memories of this place… we'll be fine when we move on."

Sunset took a deep breath, and swung herself out of the bed. "Well… I… don't really want to go back to sleep right now. Why don't we head downstairs and see if we can get a tea from the kitchen?"

They were surprised to enter the kitchen and find an exhausted looking Trixie sitting there, chewing on a haycake and using her magic to idly swirl a spoon in a teacup full of warm tea.

"Trixie? How come you're up?" asked Sunset.

Trixie looked over towards Sunset and smiled just a little bit. "Oh, Trixie was hoping she'd have some company. The maid didn't want to sit with her."

"Did you have a bad dream, too?"

Trixie looked chagrined. "Trixie's dreams are always great!" she insisted. Then she continued in a softer voice. "But Trixie doesn't want a magic enhancing artifact anymore…"

***

Conversation was light around the table, but it was only about half an hour before Princess Luna joined them in the kitchen. She, too, seemed tired, but in reasonably good spirits.

"Oh! So you are here! The maid told me that I'd find you in the kitchen. Pray tell, why are you in here and not in your rooms?"

Sterling spoke first. "Apologies, your Highness." He smiled. "I thought it best to keep these two on military time, so we could make our way back to Canterlot."

Luna seemed surprised at first, but then she nodded. "Efficient as always, Sterling Honor. But I suppose that explains why they look so tired."

Sunset smiled apologetically, and Trixie simply face-planted onto the table. Luna uttered a small yawn herself.

"Forgive me if I don't join you this morning, but, it was a long evening. I need to go soon and lower the moon for morning, and then I will need to get some rest. I trust you can find your way back to the train station?"

"Of course, your Highness," responded Sterling. "I have it under control."

Luna smiled. "Thank you, Sterling Honor. Sunset Shimmer!"

Sunset lifted her drooping head and looked towards Luna. "Yes, Princess?"

"Please give my sister my best, and…" Luna stepped forward and summoned something into her magic field, passing it to Sunset. Sunset was surprised to find a copy of the Weekly Whinny.

Luna smiled. "I was too curious. I agree with your assessment that it is mostly silly, but… there may be elements of truth to many of the stories. I think you should follow Trixie's suggestion and go to Las Pegasus next."

Sunset nodded slowly. "Well, if you say so, Princess. I suppose we don't have any other leads."

"Indeed," agreed Luna. She yawned again. "Please forgive me. It was wonderful to see you all, but it's so hard to be social when morning comes. I must see to my duties now. Please write me when you have news."

Sunset nodded and smiled as she stowed the paper into her saddlebag. "Thank you, Princess. It was lovely to see you again too."

Sterling nodded as well, snapping to attention and stomping his hoof. "Farewell, Princess Luna. Thank you for your support."

"mmrrmat en mrrmblful ickxie anks 'oo…" muttered Trixie into the table.

It took some effort and with some dragging of hooves, they packed up and made it to the train station about an hour later. Soon they were boarding a mostly empty train back to Canterlot, and just fifteen minutes after that they were finally enjoying a restful sleep as the train rolled down the tracks.