• Published 26th Dec 2022
  • 221 Views, 11 Comments

Night Reigns Book 2: Expedition Harmony - tursi



Sunset Shimmer and Sterling Honor undertake their mission to retrieve the Elements of Harmony

  • ...
2
 11
 221

Chapter 1

“No! Seriously! Do… we… HAVE… to… RUN!?”

Sunset Shimmer panted heavily as the road flew underneath her hooves. She was a brilliant amber unicorn with a long, vivid crimson mane striped with brilliant yellow stripes. On her haunches was a crimson and yellow cutie mark in the shape of a stylized sun, the colors twisting into a pattern reminiscent of a yin/yang symbol. She wore a set of leather saddlebags, each carrying a copy of her cutie mark, but was otherwise unadorned.

The object of her frustration turned his head back and laughed. “I thought you said you could keep up!” he taunted. Sterling Honor was a pure white unicorn with the body of a career soldier. Immaculately groomed, and dressed in a light barding carrying the silver, blue and gold colors of Equestria’s royal guard. His own saddlebags carried only the royal seal of Equestria, which was a stylized blue alicorn and a white alicorn circling together. They did not seem to be impacting his ability to gallop.

Sunset growled and increased her speed to match Sterling’s pace. “I… ORDER… you… to… slow… down!” she panted.

Sterling laughed again, and gradually reduced his speed to a mere trot. “All right, all right,” he chuckled softly. “I suppose you have that right, after all. But I did warn you that we would be running a lot!”

Sunset offered a breathy sigh of relief as their speed came down, and she trotted alongside Sterling as she caught her breath. “Yes… but… as I remember… you are here… to assist me. So let me set the pace!”

Sterling grinned. “Come now, I’d like to recover the Elements of Harmony before I’m old and gray!” He took a deep breath and smiled as he looked up into the bright blue sky. “But… it really is a nice day for a run. Thanks for indulging me for so long.” He winked. “I was certain you’d have given up before we even reached the bridge.”

“That was all downhill!” laughed Sunset. “It was the three miles since then that started to wear on me!”

“Only three miles?” asked Sterling, the grin widening. A warning glare from Sunset caused him to good naturedly back off from the taunt. “All right, all right. But we could have taken the train?”

It was Sunset’s turn to grin. “I knew you’d tease me the entire way if I didn’t let you run a little bit. Besides,” she sighed contentedly, admiring the sky herself, “it’s only a day’s trot. It was dark for so long, it… it just feels wonderful to be out in the sun again.”

Sterling frowned just a little at those words, though he nodded. “It does,” he agreed. “But… it makes me wonder. It’s not my place to ask, but… have you heard how Princess Luna is doing?”

Princess Luna was the blue alicorn from the royal seal, and her sister Princess Celestia was the white alicorn. Celestia could raise the sun and begin each day, whilst Luna would raise the moon and paint the night sky. But one thousand years ago Luna was not content, seeing that many more ponies preferred the day to the night. In a fit of jealousy she created the alter-ego of Nightmare Moon to terrorize and control the population of Equestria, only to be defeated by her sister and magically banished to the moon.

Ten years ago, Nightmare Moon escaped from her prison and successfully seized control, banished Celestia, and placed a curse of eternal night upon the land. Only a few months ago, Celestia escaped her own prison and eventually, they reconciled. This ended the reign of Nightmare Moon and both Luna and Celestia now ruled together and in peace.

Sunset Shimmer and Sterling Honor both played a role in this reconciliation - Sunset on behalf of Princess Celestia, and Sterling on behalf of Nightmare Moon. Despite originally having opposing viewpoints, they found a mutual admiration and now, they were working together to retrieve ancient artifacts lost in Equestria - The Elements of Harmony. As it was Sunset who actually lost them, she was tasked to lead the quest. To repay his debt to Equestria, Sterling suspended his duties as Captain of the Guard to assist her.

Sunset’s smile turned a little sympathetic. “I guess Celestia wouldn’t necessarily have given you any briefings. But… if you asked, I’m sure she would have told you!”

Sterling shook his head emphatically. “That would be as improper as it gets. The guard do not ask their Princess how her sister is doing!”

Sunset chuckled. “I bet you count as a friend by now. You could always write to her yourself. ‘Dear Princess Luna: How are you doing in the Crystal Empire? Is it cold? Have you made any friends? Could you please bring back Eternal Night?’”

The Crystal Empire had been lost even before Nightmare Moon happened. While still young rulers, Celestia and Luna faced a cruel unicorn named King Sombra who had subjugated the Empire, putting all Equestria at risk. Although they defeated him, his own cursed magic dragged the entire Empire into the shadows with him. Celestia managed to restore the Empire after her escape from exile, whilst Luna was able to re-imprison the likewise restored Sombra. However, the residents of the Crystal Empire had now been away for over a thousand years, and so Princess Luna returned there to aid them in adjusting to the world.

Sterling clenched his teeth a bit and growled softly. “You still have that knack for crossing the line of decency, Sunset Shimmer.”

Sunset’s expression softened. “Oh… yeah. That was a little tactless, wasn’t it? Sorry. I know you are sincere in your new role, I really do.”

Sterling grunted, and nodded once. “You’re forgiven.” He smiled a little. “I had better get used to it, I’m stuck with you for a while.”

Sunset smiled again, and her eyes lifted skyward as she thought back. “The last I heard was just a few days ago. Princess Luna feels like she’s having some success helping the Crystal Ponies adapt to their return to the modern world… although their remoteness seems to help. She didn’t outright say it, but Princess Celestia thinks that Princess Luna appreciates being so far away from everypony else for her own benefit too, since nopony there had to live through the whole Nightmare Moon thing.”

Sterling nodded and he looked forward along the road. “Open disrespect towards Princess Luna’s return is rare, but I still do not appreciate it. Princess Luna gave the ponies everything they asked for.”

Sunset spoke a little more softly. “I know you don’t like to think of it that way, but… she also took most of it away in the first place. It took Celestia’s return to put things right.”

Sterling grunted softly. “I suppose…”

Sunset smiled reassuringly. “I like to keep Celestia’s point of view in mind. She told me to remember that it’s done, it’s over, and if Equestria herself could forgive Luna, then everypony else should be able to do the same. I’ve never seen Celestia happier.”

Sterling’s expression softened a bit. “The castle is much warmer than I ever remember it being.” He sighed, a little more heavily than he intended. “But we are still making reparations. It is hard to be completely content.”

Sunset grinned and bumped into Sterling’s shoulder. “Hey. You’re making yours right now, as my duly appointed Royal Guard. Once we get those Elements back, your debt will be repaid. That’s got to be worth something.”

Sterling took the bump good naturedly, and grinned slyly at Sunset. “You’re right,” he agreed. “And so we mustn’t waste everypony’s time with this idle gossip. Expedition Harmony: double time!” With that he broke back into a gallop, dust trailing up behind him.

"Wha… Hey! Wait!" exclaimed Sunset. She too broke into a gallop, trying to catch up. "Ugh, I told you that I hate that name!"

And so they travelled along the road at a brisk walk/run pace (with heavy emphasis on the running), until finally reaching the outskirts of Neighagra Falls. The sun was inching towards the horizon and they slowed back to a trot. The open road gently began to turn to city streets around them.

"Finally," gasped Sunset. "I'm about done. Maybe we should have taken the train after all!"

Sterling laughed, although it was clear that he was also getting fatigued. "You did well," he complimented. "We'll make a soldier out of you yet!"

"Ugh," responded Sunset, although she smiled. "Well, at least we're here."

"Remind me again why the first element we need to retrieve is here?" prompted Sterling.

It was Sunset's turn to look chagrined. "I told you," she muttered. "I sold it to the pawn shop… I needed bits to pay for hotels…"

Sterling chuckled a little bit. "You're sure it's still here?"

"It's got to be," nodded Sunset. "Even though it seemed to be dead, I convinced them that it was magic and got a lot of bits for it. It's priced so highly for a stone that nopony knows what it does… only a ridiculous pony would spend that kind of money on it." She pointed towards the horizon. "I think we'll have to wait for morning, though. Look, Celestia is lowering the sun."

"Oh," paused Sterling. "Do you mind if we wait here for a moment? I want to watch the moonrise."

Sunset grinned widely and shoulder-bumped him. "You old softie. Of course… we can wait. After that, we'll check into our hotel, then maybe grab some dinner and check out the falls."

Sterling nodded, and the two of them watched as the sun glided silently towards the horizon. The shadows grew long and the sky went from a bright azure to a deep blue, darkening gradually. As the final golden arc slipped below the horizon, they cast their gaze skyward.

"Princess Luna is starting her part," observed Sterling. Stars began to emerge as rapidly brightening points of sky, scattered across the sky. They seemed random at first, but as points emerged gradually constellations become recognizable. All at once the eastern horizon began to glow, and the silvery bright disc of the moon began to climb into the sky, lighting the fields and the roads with a soft, magical light.

"The boundary between light and dark," commented Sunset. "They both do such beautiful work with the transition. Princess Celestia says I'm being silly, but I think they are making up for lost sunrises and sunsets both."

Sterling Honor smiled as he lowered his gaze from the sky. "There is something magnificent in the movement," he agrees. "Well, shall we check in and stow our bags?"

Sunset nodded, and they trotted into town. As a tourist town, Neighagra Falls was as busy as expected, but they found their hotel and got checked in to adjoining rooms without incident. Dinner was a quick bite at the hotel restaurant - a simple hayburger for Sunset and a rather more nutritious meal of oats and fruit for Sterling. Then they took a walk down to see the waterfalls which gave the town its name.

As expected, the falls were magnificent. Thousands of moons old, rushing water had carved a massive waterfall that arced around an invisible point for almost half a mile, dumping thousands of gallons of water every instant. Equally powerful were the hundreds of ponies jockeying for position to look at the falls, but the two of them did get an unobstructed view for a few moments, at least.

Finally, it was time to retire for the night. Sunset was ecstatic as they made their way back to the hotel room.

"The falls were amazing!!" she gushed.

"So were the crowds," grunted Sterling. "If I'm to protect you, I don't want to have to deal with very many of those."

"Relax," chuckled Sunset. "Nopony there wanted anything but a look at the water. Besides, I'm pretty good at taking care of myself."

"I remember," nodded Sterling. "Still…"

"This is the easiest part of our mission," assured Sunset. "No bad guys to chase, no sleuthing necessary. We have a good night's sleep, pop over to the pawn shop in the morning, and Celestia pays for the Element. Bam! One down, five to go."

"Then we still need to decide where to look for the next one," reminded Sterling.

"I know," replied Sunset, pausing as they approached the hotel. "But we'll have to take that one step at a time. Maybe we'll get some kind of clue when we pick up the first one. If not, we have to take it back to Canterlot anyway… maybe Celestia's magic can divine something once we have it."

Sterling nodded. "That is probably the best we can do for now. So, I will wish you a good night. I'm in the next room, and I'm a light sleeper. If there is any trouble, just make some noise. I'll be there on the double."

Sunset laughed. "Seriously, Captain, enjoy your night. We'll retrieve the Element in the morning and take it back to Celestia. It couldn't be simpler!"