• Published 4th Oct 2012
  • 1,008 Views, 14 Comments

Recovery - FanofAwesomeness

  • ...
1
 14
 1,008

Mental Toll

"You're not crazy," said somepony.

"Who said that?!" Rainbow asked frantically. "Where are you? Who are you?"

There was no reply.

"Maybe I should just get some sleep," she said aloud. And with that, she fell asleep.

What felt like two seconds later, Rainbow heard the voices of her friends outside her door. Then her doctor said, "She will be released today."

Rainbow almost jumped out of the bed. She was being released today! No more waiting! No more being bored! It was only when they opened the door that she noticed something else. Nightwolf wasn't there.

"Where's Nightwolf?" Rainbow asked.

"He's waiting outside," Twilight said. "He didn't want to be a part of the 'welcome back to town' party Pinkie is currently trying to set up in the lobby."

"At least I know what to expect," Rainbow said. "Lets get out of here."

Within a minute, Rainbow was out of the gown and on her hooves. It felt so good to walk again. As they were leaving the room, her doctor said, "Don't try sustained flight yet. You can hover, but anything else will stress the muscle!"

"Yeah, yeah," Rainbow said back. "I won't do anything too stressful."

Her friends looked behind them at her doctor and turned back around. Something's not right, she thought.

But once they all got to the lobby, they saw Pinkie arguing with a nurse that wouldn't fall for her 'word switcheroo' trick. It was hilarious.

They were able to convince their pink friend to leave and throw the party somewhere else and left the hospital. Just outside was Nightwolf, waiting for hissister to leave. "Good to know they let you out of there without an escort," he said.

"Escort?" Rainbow asked.

"An escort is somepony who followsanother pony to show them where to go," Twilight and Nightwolf said at the same time.

"I know what an escort is," Rainbow clarified. "I was asking why I would need one."

"Remember that mental visit I gave you?" Nightwolf said, bringing back that strange conversation.

"Yeah," Rainbow said.

"Well I saw something that I wasn't quite sure about," he explained. "I saw a large stone that seemed about the size of you. It was crystalline and shone very faintly."

"Why are you telling me this?" Rainbow asked.

"Because the stone had multiple fractures and one large crack," Nightwolf said. "I did some readingon what other ponies had seen in their trips into the minds of others. I learned that what I saw was your psyche."

"My what?"

"Your psyche. It's basically your sanity. It's supposed to look clear and shine brightly and have a few scratches on it. Yours was barely shining at all and was murky. Not to mention the extreme damge to it."

"What are you getting at?" Rainbow asked.

"I think you should start to see a psychologist. They might be able to repair damage done to your psyche. They could stop the progression of insanity."

"So you're saying that I'm crazy?" Rainow said. "That I need to see some pony so I can talk to them? About what?"

"I'm saying we need to think about the possibility that your physical form wasn't the only thing damaged. Your mental health is at stake here!"

"I don't need to worry about that!" Rainbow screamed at him. "I'm not crazy!"

"Well considering the fact that you just screamed at a wall, I would say that you're getting pretty close," Nightwolf said.

"What?"

"Rainbow?" Flutteshy asked. "Are you alright?"

"Ya just screamed at bricks, sugarcube," Applejack said.

They can't see him?! Rainbow thought.

"Of course they can't see me," Nightwolf said. "I'm talking toyou through mental connections. I have been for the past few minutes. Your mind is showing you a reflection of myself because it's about to shatter. You need to see somepony about this."

"Rainbow?" Twilight asked.

"I'm fine," she said. "I just need some time to think. I'll see you guys tomorrow."

She spread her wings and prepared to fly. "Don't fly!" Nightwolf screamed in her head. It hurt even more this time. "You need time to heal. You can stay at my place until we can fix this little problem."

"Fine," Rainbow said. She glanced behind her to see her friend's worried faces. Then she turned and started walking toward her brother's house.