• Published 18th Dec 2022
  • 140 Views, 0 Comments

Thanks for the Legacy - AizakkuHorooee



The princesses announce their retirement; Chrysalis responds with her own; even Starlight will be moving. It's all too much for Aita. Meanwhile, Discord makes an "attempt" to round up past foes and gives them a choice: unite or work alone.

  • ...
 0
 140

Chapter I - A Chain of Announcements

Carve and I are racing to Canterlot Castle to meet the princesses. At the drawbridge, we are joined by Twilight, her friends, Aita and Spike.

“Oh good. We’re all here,” Fluttershy says with relief.

“So, everyone got an urgent summons to the castle with no explanation?” asks Twilight.

“Eeyup! I just love a good mysterious summons.” Pinkie Pie lays the bottom half of her mane over her mouth. “What’s it about? Is it a surprise party? Hey, why are we running?”

“Because something could be wrong,” I reply. “Another criminal? A swarm?”

Applejack raises an eyebrow. “Don’t you think that’s a bit much, Chrysalis?”

“Why else would the princesses send scrolls to us in such a hurry?” Carve points out, who Rarity looks at.

“Good point. They know better than to make us worry.”

“Plus I like it when you run so fast, the walls get blurry.” Pinkie looks to her right, seeing the walls zip past her view. She cheers when her eyes begin to appear swirling.

“Race ya!” Rainbow Dash challenges, but Carve and I raise our hooves in disapproval.

When the ten of us reach Celestia and Luna’s throne room, everyone’s at least a little winded.

“Everyone. Thank you so much for coming,” greets Celestia.

“What’s wrong?” Aita inquires. “What can we do?!?”

“That’s just it.” Luna smiles mid-sentence. “Nothing’s wrong! Everything’s perfect!”

Twilight jumps into the air at this reply. “Did you seriously call ALL of us here just to tell us that?!?”

“With all due respect, your majesties, you might want to save your ‘urgent summons’ for something a little more…” Rarity pauses, realizing the redundancy of her statement. “well, urgent!”

Celestia and Luna laugh. “Well there is more to it,” replies Luna. “Equestria has been on the precipice of ‘utopia’ status in recent years.”

“And it is all thanks to the contributions of everyone standing before us.”

“Who us?” Spike brags.

Rarity laughs. “Oh sure.”

“It’s about time you noticed.” Rainbow Dash crosses her forehooves.

Twilight bows in flattery. “Thank you.”

“Because of your efforts, there’s been less and less for us to do,” Luna further explains.

“So after much consideration, my sister and I have decided it is time for us to retire.”

Everyone gets confused by Celestia and Luna’s announcement. Discord teleports in with press attire.

“Breaking news! The royal princesses retiring! I have so many questions! Who’ll take over?!? Who will run Equestria? Will it be someone with experience, or will it be the queen?!?” Discord spawns copies of his eagle claw, pointing to me. Celestia directs her hoof at Twilight, prompting surprise from everyone, including me. “Oh fine, go with the obvious choice.”

Aita lets out a nervous whine. He then steps forward. “You’re retiring?!? You can do that?!?”

Luna laughs again. “Of course we can. I for one am looking forward to a little R ‘n R, maybe a trip to Silver Shoals.”

“And you want Twilight to take your place…” I finish for Luna, she and Celestia nodding.

“With the help of her friends of course,” Luna amends.

Everyone looks at Twilight without a moment too soon, some resting each hoof on her shoulders.

“We can’t think of anypony more worthy.” Celestia flies up to Twilight. “Over the years we’ve watched you grow. You’ve faced task after task.”

Luna joins her sister. “Challenge after challenge.”

“Countless adversities, yeah yeah yeah,” Discord snarks, floating around us in boredom. “We get it.”

“And you’ve always prevailed.” Celestia rests a hoof under Twilight’s chin, prompting her to smile.

“Thank you so much, Celestia. But that doesn’t mean all of us are ready to do what you do.”

“Oh of course you all are. I realize this is a lot to take in, but-”

I cut Celestia short by raising my hoof. “Don’t worry about us. We will all do our part about how to perform this transition.”

“We have this all under control,” Carve adds.

“Well, if the princesses think it’s time to retire, we’re not a bad choice. We always have Equestria’s best interests at heart.” Applejack swings her hoof with building confidence.

Aita tilts his head to his right. “Fair point, but what are we all even gonna-?”

“Well I’m in,” Rarity votes, hammer-spacing a fashion ruler from behind with her magic. “Darlings, we’ll need a complete wardrobe update.”

“As long as we all have each other, I’m sure we can do it.” Fluttershy wraps her hoof around Rarity.

“Yay!” Pinkie cheers. “Protectors of Equestria on three! One…” Everyone gathers around to join their hoof or claw at the center, “Two…” except for Aita, although he eventually sighs.

“Well, everyone’s in on this, so I am too.”

When Aita rests his hoof in the center, we all raise the limb we use. “PROTECTORS OF EQUESTRIA!!!” He then approaches Celestia and Luna one more time.

“I’m sure we all could adjust, with time as always. Even as soon as a few-”

“Actually Aita,” I interject. “If Celestia and Luna are retiring, why don’t I join.”

Everyone is shocked by my decision, but especially Aita.

“Wait, WHAT?!?”

“Things have been so quiet around here ever since my son moved back into the hive, I haven’t needed Carve once.”

I turn to Carve when she questions my response. “Um, Chrysalis? Isn’t that a little much?”

“Come now, Carve. You’ve volunteered countless times ever since you saw Patch.”

“It’s not about me. It’s Aita.”

Carve points to Aita, who is visibly shaking from my news, trotting to my forehoof and hugging it. “Chrysalis! Please! I’m not r-ready for this! Maybe with Celestia and Luna, but not you too!”

Twilight tries to take him off with her magic, but ultimately fails. “Aita, get ahold of yourself. I know this is a radical change, but aren’t you staying with me and Spike for the next nine years?”

Discord softly lands on his side next to Aita. “Oh I’m certain our little changing changeling will be entirely ready for the occasion. Besides, isn’t Starlight going to run your castle when this is all over with?”