• Published 7th Dec 2022
  • 315 Views, 7 Comments

The Hearths Warming Woodcarver - DakariKingMykan



A woodcarver finds he has much to live for.

  • ...
25
 7
 315

Intro: Holiday Time

Author's Note:

I do not like this trashy fic at all...

and I DO NOT wish to be praised for it!

INTRO

Hearths Warming was upon Equestria, and all the ponies and other creatures were busy helping each other decorate, shop, bake goods, and even collect donations for the poor and the homeless.

Rarity was hard at work knitting scarves and mittens, which she intended to donate to charity, or put on display in her store.

Pinkie Pie and Applejack were running a bake sale, with fresh made pies and pastries from the farm and the bakeshop.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming, Every-Pony!” Pinkie announced. “Come on and buy yourself a nice treat for the holidays, and every bit we collect goes to feed the homeless.”

She picked up a tart and chomped it all down, “And you won’t regret it; they taste super sweet.”

“Pinkie!” snapped Applejack. “How are we supposed to sell the stuff if you keep eating it like a hungry hound dog?”

Pinkie smiled sheepishly through her teeth full of food, and backed down.

Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts were rehearsing for a special flight show they were going to perform at a celebration which was to be held in a few days… which was Hearth’s Warming Day.

Spike and Twilight were watching the rehearsals, especially since it was Twilight’s request that the show be done.

She watched as the Wonderbolts flew in awesome formations, and made colorful streaks across the sky, followed by colorful explosions like fireworks, and all topped off with Rainbow’s signature Sonic Rainboom.

“Happy Hearths Warming…!” Rainbow shouted as she added the final explosion, which lit up the fields.

“Wow!” Twilight remarked. “Spike, are you seeing this?”

Spike seemed a bit more preoccupied-- lost in his own thoughts.

“Huh? Oh, yeah, yeah-- real nice… cool even.”

Twilight sighed, and it didn’t take much to know what was on his mind.

Spike was doing his hardest to think of a gift to give Rarity this year, as part of his obvious affections for her, but he didn’t have a lot of money, and it really bummed him out.

“Spike, I told you, I can help you with your gift.”

Spike shook his head. “For the hundredth time, Twilight, I want to do this myself. I get that you’re trying to help, but I really want to get Rarity something nice.”

He fiddled with the scarf that was around his neck. “When winter started, and she gave this to me…”

He remembered it so well, at the start of winter.


“Here you are, Spike.” Rarity said, giving him a beautiful blue scarf, with tiny little sapphires embedded on the front. “Oh, don’t you look ever so handsome.”

Spike’s eyes practically filled with tears, “Rarity…! I… I just… I don’t know what to say.”

Rarity smiled, almost lovingly at him. “Well, I just want you to keep nice and warm this winter, darling.” and she gave him a peck, which made him faint in a shower of hearts.


The flash back ended, and Spike was still gazing at his scarf. “That’s why I want to do this,” he then sighed “Makes me wish I had saved up my allowance. Why did I have to buy so many comic-editions…?!”

Twilight sighed, but her offer still stood.

Rainbow Dash came up to them, all psyched and hyper. “Ah, yeah…! That was so awesome! We’re going to be a blast at the show on Hearths Warming.”

Twilight agreed.


Then, as the three friends walked through Ponyville, they enjoyed seeing all the sights of ponies helping one another, and the decorations looking so beautiful.


They met up with Fluttershy as she was just coming out of a wood-carver’s shop, with a wrapped up gift.

“Hi, every-pony.” she said cheerfully.

“What’cha got there?” Rainbow asked.

“Rainbow!” scolded Twilight. “It’s not polite to ask what a gift is.”

Fluttershy giggled and didn’t mind telling the friends, “It’s a carrot-shaped little cuckoo-clock.”

The friends looked at her with wide-eyes.

“A what?” asked Spike.

Fluttershy explained, the shop she just came from was run by an elderly wood-carver, named Woody, and just looking in at the window displays would tell anyone enough, he was incredibly gifted.

He made the most fantastic looking figurines and statues and even talismans all carved from wood.

The best feature was the clocks, and music-boxes with marvellous designs and paintjobs.

-One clock was a duck on its pond, and the duck would cheerfully flip over and quack every hour.

-Then there was another one, with a beautiful ballet dancer on a stage that would constantly rotate, and instead of making a cuckoo-call, the stage would light up and a glittery music-box theme would be heard.

Spike thought it was so incredibly beautiful; so lovely that Rarity would melt at the very sight of it, but the price made Spike almost scream. “Five-hundred bits?! That’s nuts!”

“Actually, I think it’s very fair.” said Fluttershy. “Woody does such wonderful jobs, and he’s very fair with his prices, considering how much work he puts into it all.”

She then showed everyone a picture of the clock she had requested made as a gift for Angel.

It was a large carrot, with a little rabbit that would hop across and over the top every hour, and the pendulum was in the shape a smaller carrot.

It seemed rather plain, but Twilight thought it was sweet. “It’s nice to see everyone so chipper and happy at this time of year.”

That’s when Fluttershy looked a bit unsure. “I don’t think everyone is happy, Twilight.”

She explained how when she did business with Woody, he was very generous and seemed pleasant with her, but she could tell he seemed rather down and upset.

Twilight began to get that feeling of hers again.

“Uh, oh… here it comes.” muttered Spike.

“I think I’ll have a word with him.” Twilight said, and she headed into the shop.

“Twilight, wait…” Spike called as he rushed in after her.

Rainbow blinked once. She didn’t follow them in, for she had things to do. “I think I smell a friendship mission here.”

Fluttershy agreed.