• Published 6th Dec 2022
  • 630 Views, 13 Comments

Firebox Hearts - Mystic Mind



After getting rejected by Rarity, Spike finds an escape from his broken heart at a miniature railway.

  • ...
4
 13
 630

Chapter 7

Navigating your way around a hobby that directly involves your crush was a difficult task, as Spike had come to learn. It was now December, and with Hearth’s Warming fast approaching, the railway was getting extra busy with families visiting for the Winter Holidays.

In the weeks since his realization, he’d done his best to play it cool around Smoulder. Having gained sufficient experience to drive and fire a miniature locomotive on his own, he divided his time carefully between cleaning and engineer duties.

He didn’t want to ghost Smoulder entirely. He wanted to be around her, but spending more time with her increased the risk of the relationship question rearing its ugly head. He’d already jeopardized one friendship this year thanks to his easily love-struck heart; he refused to risk another. As he recalled, Smoulder wasn’t interested in finding love anyway. Why bother setting himself up for failure?

Of course, this didn’t make all the feelings suddenly go away. The only way to keep them under wraps was to perform this delicate balancing act, keeping up just enough socialization to avoid arousing suspicion.

Success wasn’t guaranteed, however. More than once Smoulder had suspected something, and each time he brushed it off, excusing his coldness as everyday winter blues.

“You know you can talk to me about anything, right?”

“I know, I know. It’s just one of those days, I’ll be fine.”

Exchanges like that had become routine. In a way, Spike almost wished Smoulder wasn’t such a good friend. Maybe then he’d have an easier time extinguishing the burning romance in his firebox heart. If he could conquer this, all he had to do was keep his feelings to himself, and continue being fascinated by the magic of steam train operation.

Alas, reality didn’t work that way. Feelings had a nasty habit of building up like steam pressure in the boiler, and there was only so much one could keep inside before venting became essential.

That was where he was now.

He was on his fifth train of the day, driving an open-cabbed, four-wheeled tank engine named Arion. He’d done his best to fill his mind with the whirr of the engine, in addition to the chatter of passengers around him. Any other day, he’d find himself annoyed by the lively debates between railfans over the oddly named ‘improved-engine green’ livery—as to Spike’s eyes, it looked orange—but today, anything was better than thinking about Smoulder.

This engine was the fourth of the railway’s collection, and though it did the job just fine, he couldn’t help but feel a little underwhelmed when he compared them to Sleipnir or Bellerophon.

Oh, how his heart soared when Sleipnir was in motion! Its interlinked piston rods crossing over as its eight driving wheels smoothly creaked into life! It was a metal beast of incredible power, tamed by one of the kindest, most passionate dragons ever to grace Equestria. He could just imagine speeding across the countryside in a full-sized engine, hand in hand with his—

Ocellus’ shrill whistle dragged Spike back to the here and now. He’d been daydreaming again. These intrusive, romantic thoughts were getting out of hand. Sighing, he released the steam breaks, set the reverser to full forward, and opened the regulator. Why did his heart have to betray him like this? Everything was going swimmingly until he developed another stupid crush.

Focusing on driving the engine gave him a minor reprieve. Though the line’s slopes were modest by mainline standards, they still required careful attention to avoid excessive slowdown, or worse, overspeeding.

After rising over a few short hills, the line twisted back and forth around the forest before reaching the second station. The platform was short, just long enough to fit the length of the train, though he had little difficulty finding the perfect spot to halt.

“Hey there, Spike.” Looking over his shoulder, he spied Ocellus trotting up to greet him. “Do you have a minute?”

“Uh, sure, I guess,” he replied, chucking a few lumps of coal into the firebox before standing up. “We’ll be leaving once the other train departs. What’s up?”

“I’d prefer to talk in private if that’s okay. Terramar can take over driving for now.”

Spike grimaced. This had to be serious if it required a private conversation. “All right,” he said, trying his best to keep a neutral tone.

Ascending the stairs, his eyes darted between Ocellus and the hippogriff that emerged from the signal box. Terramar barely acknowledged him, giving him little more than a slight nod as he flew over. How much did he know?

Not helping matters was the fact that, much to his surprise, neither Sandbar nor Yona were there. Had Ocellus asked them to leave in advance? Was this issue so personal, she couldn’t even have them overhear?

Stop it, Spike, he chided himself. No one’s judging you.

He couldn’t stop fidgeting with his claws. Were he not so anxious, he would’ve laughed at how much he was Twilighting.

Once inside, the signal box’s radio buzzed thrice, a code he recognised as meaning that the train was clear to proceed. Pulling back two levers to change the signals, Ocellus watched with great intent as the train whistled and steamed away, leaving her alone with Spike.

“So,” he began, holding his claws behind his back. “What did you, uh, wanna talk about?”

If Ocellus was mad at him, she did an excellent job at hiding it. She looked as relaxed and cheerful as ever. “Take a seat,” she gestured to a small table and chair on the other side of the room. “I’d offer you some tea, but as you can see, there’s no stove and I forgot my flask.” She chuckled awkwardly, with Spike forcing himself to follow suit.

She had to be stalling for time. Whatever he’d done, it was clearly serious enough to warrant hesitation.

“Anyway,” she continued. “I just wanted to ask how you and Smoulder were getting along.”

No matter how softly those words were spoken, they still rammed into Spike like a buck to the gut. He tried his best to save face, though from the way Ocellus’ expression fell ever so slightly, it was obvious he failed.

“That bad, huh?”

“Well, sorta, but not really?” Rubbing his temple, he groaned in frustration. “There’s nothing wrong with her. I’m the problem.”

“What do you mean?”

“You really wanna know? Fine. I’ll tell you. I have a crush on Smoulder. There, I said it. I know it’s stupid, ‘cause she’s not looking for a relationship. I’d stop feeling this way if I could, but I can’t.”

“Oh.” Ocellus stared off into the distance. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know. Have you told her?”

“Of course I haven’t!” Spike snapped. “I can’t risk getting rejected! Not again.”

“I get that.” Ocellus pursed her lips, fidgeting with her own hooves. “Mind if I’m honest with you?”

Spike slumped back in his chair, waving his claw in dismissal. “Go ahead.”

“I don’t think I ever got over Smoulder rejecting me.”

He shot her a curious glance, taken aback by what she said.

“Don’t get me wrong, I respect her and she’s still one of my best friends. But, you know the drill; it’s not so easy to let go. I’m doing my best to take responsibility for my own healing, difficult as it is. I did have another reason for talking with you today.”

Spike said nothing. What in Equestria was Ocellus planning? Part of him felt like he should object, but that was the problem with intrusive feelings; seeking desperate fulfillment wherever the opportunity was.

“I’ve been talking to Principal Starlight about this since she’s still an acting Guidance Counselor. She suggested I explore ways for us to both be happy, and, well, I think to do that, I need to make sure she’s happy.”

“I don’t get it,” Spike said.

“Sorry, I know I’m babbling.” Straightening her posture, Ocellus murmured under her breath, shuffling the words in her mouth before continuing. “I’ve seen the way she looks at you, and heard the way she talks about you. Maybe I’m projecting, but this is the happiest I’ve seen her. Thanks to you, this railway’s become more successful than we could’ve ever dreamt. She finally has someone who’s just as passionate about trains as her, and I think you two resonate more than anyone else I’ve seen.

“She likes you, Spike. I think you two could make each other very happy. Let me talk to her. I can’t guarantee she’ll want to date you, but she deserves to know, regardless.”

“I dunno.” Rubbing his temples, Spike squirmed in his seat. “My head’s a mess right now, and Smoulder’s too special to risk pushing away.”

“I know this is rich coming from me, but I believe you two will still be close, whatever happens. You got Twilight to put in a good word for her; it’s only fair I do the same for you.”

Spike puffed out his cheeks, flexing his jaw as if he were chewing on the idea.

“All right,” he concluded. “I’m not expecting much, but if there’s a chance… I wanna be with her. She makes me feel wanted in a way no creature else does. I love Twilight, but not in the way I love Smoulder.”

“I get that.” Lifting her forehooves, she gestured for Spike to hug her, which he accepted.

“I’m sorry you have to do this. It’s not your responsibility to play matchmaker.”

“Don’t worry about it. This is helping me, too.”

Soon enough, Smoulder’s train arrived at the station. All her remaining friends were riding on the train, with Yona and Sandbar in particular cuddling in the front carriage. Spike bit back a groan of resentment. It wasn’t fair to take his own romantic frustrations out on them, jealous as he may have been.

“Ocellus, Spike!” Smoulder waved to them with enthused vigor, all but jumping out of the cab to greet them. If she had been taking smile classes from Pinkie Pie, the grin on her face would’ve surely gotten an A+; odd considering how cold Spike had been acting toward her. “Oh my gosh, I’ve got something awesome to tell you guys! You’re gonna love this.”

“Yeah?” Spike asked, placing his hands on his hips. He decided to allow himself the luxury of smiling, as the last thing he wanted to be was a buzzkill.

“You know how I wanted to work on mainline trains? Well, Twilight recommended me, just as you said she would, Spike. I got the job! I’m working the line between the Crystal Empire and Yakyakistan, and I’ll be doing a route learning test tomorrow! Yona and Sandbar are helping me with route knowledge, too! I’m so excited to get my claws on a full-sized locomotive’s controls!”

“And that’s not all!” Sandbar proclaimed as if announcing the winners to a game show. “Spike, Yona and I would like to formally invite both you and Twilight to Y.O.N.A fest, the Yakyakistan Hearth's Warming festival. Yona took me last year, and I figured it’s only fair you get to see it, too. After everything you’ve done for the railway these past few months, we agreed you deserve a treat.”

To say Spike was flabbergasted would’ve been an understatement. He could barely speak, frozen to the spot by the sudden raging blizzard of emotions. Were it not for Smoulder embracing him, he would’ve felt like tipping over and shattering into a hundred pieces.

“I think he accepts,” Ocellus giggled.

“Dragons never visit Yakyakistan,” added Yona, gleefully jogging on the spot. “Spike will be first. Yona make this best Y.O.N.A fest ever!”

“So, whaddya say, Spike?” Smoulder asked, squeezing his claws. “You in?”

How could he refuse? Ratcheting up a stiff smile, he nodded and said, “Sure, why not?”

Author's Note:

This is where my other story comes into play. If you want to know what Y.O.N.A fest is, read Transitioning Love.