• Published 1st Dec 2022
  • 225 Views, 5 Comments

Twelve Days of ChristMinty - Twilyx360



After a pony named Minty returns to Ponyville, she makes an accident that may cost ponyville the Hearth's Warming Season.

  • ...
 5
 225

Chapter 2

As promised Minty had gone to the marketplace to meet up with Derpy. After cheering her up yesterday.

She was wearing socks on her hind legs as she saw Derpy.

“Hi Minty!” Said Derpy.

“Hi new friend!” Said Minty chuckling. “We’re friends now are we?”

Derpy smiled “we’re friends in progress.”

“Perfect!” Said Minty. And the two walked into the busy marketplace. Various ponies were still rushing about. “Oh and watch out for running ponies.” Said Derpy

“Trust me, ever since you tripped me yesterday I’m really going to try.” Said Minty. Just as she moved aside to let a running pony go past her.

“See?” Said Minty laughing. “Wait, Derpy, don't you have deliveries to make today?” Asked Minty.

“Nah, The post is off today. So us mail mares try to get our holiday shopping done on these days.” Said Derpy smiling. “So what brings you to ponyville. You said you just came into town?”

“Yep. I haven’t been to Ponyville in seventeen years. So I’m just hoping to revisit some old friends.” Said Minty.

“Wow, seventeen years. Oh so who are these friends? I know everyone in Ponyville, I could help you find them.” Asked Derpy.

“Uh, well I. I’m looking for a present for them first. I just don’t know what to get them.” Said Minty nervously.

“Well I guess it would be hard to find a present if you haven’t seen them in so long. Is that what you meant by, you have a lot of shopping to do?” Asked Derpy.

“Yeah. I just don’t know yet. Anyway, what are you looking for?” Asked Minty.

Derpy looked at a stall. “That.” She pointed her hoof to the object of interest.

A record collection. “And that.” Pointing to a book. Both were in the far back of the stall.

Derpy flew towards the stall “Thank goodness nopony got them yet! Oh um. How much is that box of records?” Asked Derpy.

“That’s a rare collectors set. So ten bits.” Said the shopkeep

“Oh wow. And that book?” Asked Derpy.

“Another ten. They don’t really make those anymore.” Said the shopkeep.

Minty was distracted, she heard what Derpy said but her attention was focused on the book's title. “Anthropology: The Soul of Humanity?”

“Oh one of my friends has a fascination with studying humans as well. She really wants that book. And another one of my friends is a DJ. Those record albums are music from her favorite musicians EVER!” Derpy said with delight.

“Yep, these things are quite the collector's items. That’s Twenty bits. So?” Asked the shopkeep.

Derpy’s face went from happy to sad, as she looked down and said. "Well. I only have ten bits on me...”

Minty thought it over for a bit. She also had ten bits on her, and several more at the hotel. And she didn’t exactly know what she would spend them on while she was here. At least not yet.

And she figured how Derpy is more than worth helping out. It was Hearth’s Warming season after all. And she didn’t really have that much to lose either.

“Hey. I’ve got ten more. How about we split the cost?” Asked Minty.

Derpy’s eyes went straight. “Wha…really?” Asked Derpy in shock.

Minty took out her bits and placed it on the counter. “Well?” She asked Derpy.

Derpy slowly took her bits out and placed them on the counter. “Well. Aren’t you two lovely.” Said the shopkeep as he handed them the set and book.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming to you and your friend Miss Derpy!” Said the shopkeep as the two walked away.

Derpy placed and tucked the records and book into her saddle bag and waved cheerfully.

And the two walked along Derpy was about to cry tears of joy. “Why are you being so kind? I’m just a simple mail mare... You know you’re a lot nicer than me, you know that? Nopony ever did that for me. Thank you!” Derpy smiled at Minty and hugged her.

“Oh. You’re welcome Derpy.” Said Minty returning the hug.

Derpy and Minty had fun together, for the rest of the day. “You know you remind me a lot of myself Derpy.” Said Minty trotting backwards.

“Oh wow. I was thinking the same thing.” Said Derpy.

“Well, this was an amazing day Minty. You want to join me tomorrow for the Hearth's Warming offering?” Asked Derpy.

“The offering?” Asked Minty as she saw a snowflake trying to catch it.

“Well in Ponyville we have a tradition where we place our presents for everypony at the tree in the center of town. Then everypony unwraps them on Hearth's Warming Day! It’s amazing.” Derpy explained.

“Ooo that sounds fun. I’d love to!” Said Minty as the snowflake blew away. “Oh, and uh sorry I was listening I was just-“ Minty was cut off.

“Don’t worry I know you were.” Derpy smiled.

“Well, I need to get these wrapped up for tomorrow. See you then!” Said Derpy as she waved Minty goodbye.

And Minty waved back.