• Published 9th Dec 2022
  • 400 Views, 20 Comments

So, Shall We Start the Experiment? - RevvEmUp



After being late for school, the girls' new substitute teacher gives them the worst detention of their life

  • ...
0
 20
 400

Chapter 1

It's an overcast at Canterlot City this Monday, and the many students of Canterlot High are coming in to start the week. The first to pass by the Wondercolts Statue is Rainbow Dash, all thanks to her confidence in her speed getting her to school on time, early even. "Clouds, hrm." She scoffed at the grey puffs above her. "If I could, I'd push them all away. Mondays don't need to be any more miserable than they already are." She said to herself.

Soon, the rest of her friends come and greet her. "Mornin', Rainbow!" Applejack waved to her.

"You're here early, as usual." Sunset Shimmer said.

"Well, since everyone knows about my speed powers, I don't have an excuse to be late." Rainbow Dash responded.

"You sure you should be going overboard with your Geode powers?" Fluttershy asked Rainbow Dash.

"I know there's this quote from this superhero movie about powers and responsibility, but I can't quite remember how it went." Pinkie Pie said.

"Could we not call them superpowers? We're not superheroes. We're just ordinary girls who happen to have these powers, that's all." Twilight Sparkle refuted.

"Relax, I never said I use them to get to school. I just got here with ol' school running shoes." Rainbow Dash said as she points to her worn blue knee-high boots.

Rarity bends down to see a shoelace just fall off. "I must say, these shoes have seen better days. We must get you new ones." Rarity noted.

"Hey, I don't need a whole closet of sneakers when I just got one pair of ol' reliables." Rainbow Dash refused. "I'll be done with them when I feel like it."

"Now that we're all here…" Sunset Shimmer began. "Did anyone hear anything about a new substitute teacher?"

"Oh, that's right! Miss Cheerilee got injured in our last magic adventure." Fluttershy noted.

"Well, at least that we purified the last of that magic bottomless punch bottle." Twilight Sparkle noted.

"But she'll be bedridden from it for weeks." Applejack said. "Same goes for Big Mac, too. Shame he had to get caught in it, too."

"These news usually get to us at the start of homeroom. We'll probably see the principal show whatever poor sucker she hired to be our sub." Rainbow Dash chuckled.

As they conversed, they hear the sound of a motorcycle engine and see a man wearing a khaki coat and a red helmet pull up in a red dirt bike with a gear-shaped ornament on the cowl, a yellow cylindrical top-box, and warning tape decals across the chassis. "Who's that?" Twilight Sparkle wondered.

"We've never seen them before." Sunset Shimmer noted.

The man takes off his helmet and rests it on the let handlebar, showing a young man with a purple complexion and a somewhat messy black bowl-cut. "Mornin'!" he waved to them casually as he takes a metallic briefcase from his motorcycle. He walks by them without another word, entering the school.

As they stare at him, Rarity suddenly collapses. Applejack catches her in time, just an inch above the pavement. "Rarity, what's wrong?!" Applejack asked her.

"He… he…" Rarity muttered. "He's wearing mismatching sneakers!" Rarity cried profusely.

Her friends look at the man passing by the glass doors and see he's wearing red sneakers on the left and blue on the right. "Oh, is that all?!" Applejack responded impatiently before helping her up.

"Think he's Miss Cheerilee's substitute?" Twilight Sparkle asked her friends.

"There's no way someone with a bike that cool's a teacher." Rainbow Dash looks at the motorcycle. She goes over to the man's bike to get a closer look. "Look at that thing! It's like Aftermarket City! And the paintjob goes hard!"

"Uh, Rainbow? We're gonna be late for class if you keep ogling that bike." Fluttershy called to her.

"Oh, oh yeah! See you girls there!" Rainbow Dash turns to them before leaving a prismatic ribbon behind as she crashes through the school doors.

"If I ever see that man and his sneakers again, it'll be too soon." Rarity commented dramatically.

"They're just shoes. Please don't get yerself in a tizzy cuz'a that." Applejack said as she opens the doors for her friends.

"Excuse me." A tall man wearing a brown leather duster and a fedora approached the girls with his head tipped down, concealing his face.

"Can we help you?" Sunset Shimmer asked him, cautious about meeting yet another stranger.

He lifts his head, revealing an intense-looking, narrow-eyed silver man looking at them. "I wanted to ask if you've seen a friend of mine." he takes a photograph from his pocket. The photograph shows a stoic young man with beige skin and neatly-combed black hair wearing a pilot's jumpsuit decorated with military patches above his chest pockets and left shoulder. "His name is Juggler."

"Sorry, never seen him." Sunset Shimmer answered.

"That's all I needed to hear." The man said as he hands his photo to Twilight Sparkle. "If you see him, tell me."

"Wait, shouldn't you give us your contact info in case we find him?" Twilight Sparkle reached to the man.

"The world is round. We'll run into each other eventually." The man answered with a smile before tipping down his hat. He puts a harmonica to his mouth and begins playing a dramatic, slow tune as he walks away from the school.

"Weird guy." Pinkie Pie commented. "Is he a cousin of yours, Applejack? He's got the same fashion sense." she turned to Applejack.

"Very funny." Applejack rolled her eyes. "No, I've never seen him before."

"At least his garbs are somewhat sane." Rarity commented.

"C'mon, let's get to class before the bell!" Twilight Sparkle hurried through the doors.


Rainbow Dash rushes through the halls, and finds them empty: a sign that homeroom has already started. "C'mon, pick up the pace!" she said to herself.

With a skid at a right turn she swings the doors to her classroom open and sees the purple guy from before right in her face. "You're late." He said simply.

"What?!"

"Rainbow Dash." An authoritative voice spoke up. The man backs away to show the tall woman that is their Principal Celestia looking at the athlete sternly. "Of all the students to be late, I hoped it wouldn't be our fastest athlete."

The rest of Rainbow Dash's friends arrive at the door, and are just as shocked as she is to see the purple man at the front of class. "You six, you're late, too." He told them.

"I'm sorry, we were—" Sunset Shimmer spoke up.

"Please, sit down. You're disrupting class." Principal Celestia commanded.

Without another word, the girls go to their seats as their classmates awkwardly eye them. "As I was saying, as a result of Miss Cheerilee's health leave…" Principal Celestia eyed the seven friends as she said this. "This man will be her substitute for homeroom, physics, and chemistry for the rest of the month." She gestures to the man beside her.

"Told ya." Twilight Sparkle whispered to Rainbow Dash sitting beside her.

The man steps forward and clears his throat. "Hello, students. My name is Full Bottle, but you can call me Mister Bottle. It's nice to meet you all." He bowed as he addressed the students.

"I hope you'll give Mister Bottle a very warm Canterlot High welcome for the duration of his stay." Principal Celestia added. "Now, I'll leave you all to it." she turns to the door and leaves.

"No way! Someone with that cool of a bike is our substitute teacher!" Pinkie Pie blurted out to Rainbow Dash.

"Yeesh, don't rub it all in, guys." Rainbow Dash scoffed, when Full Bottle clears his throat.

"So, may I know the troublemakers who came late?" Full Bottle requested.

"Again, sorry, Mister Bottle." Twilight Sparkle stood up. "My name is Twilight Sparkle, and these are all my friends.

"I'm Sunset Shimmer, happy to meet you, sir."

"Fluttershy…"

"Applejack, here."

"I'm Pinkie Pie! I'm tickled to meet'cha!"

"I'm- I'm- I'm—" Rarity stammered as she stares at Mister Bottle's mismatching sneakers, until he snaps his fingers repeatedly to snap her out of it.

"Eyes up here. Name?"

"I'm R-Rarity." Rarity finally answered. "May I say, I think—"

"Rainbow Dash, and don't you forget it. If you heard anything about me, it's probs true." Rainbow Dash boasted.

"Well, it's nice to meet you." Mister Bottle smirked devilishly. "As punishment, you're going to help set up experiments for first period physics."

The girls were surprised to hear this: a long punishment for minor tardiness. "But we were only a minute late!" Rainbow Dash argued.

"One minute, twenty-five seconds." Mister Bottle corrected. "I'm not going to argue about this, so sit down." He then turns his attention to the rest of the class. "Now then, announcements for today…" he began reading a document.

"Sorry for getting you guys in trouble just for looking at the cool bike." Rainbow Dash apologized to her friends as they take their seats.

"It's alright. What better way to get in trouble than getting in trouble together?" Sunset Shimmer assured.

"As if we don't do that every day." Twilight Sparkle chuckled.

"We've never had a teach this sassy before. I mean, lab assist for being a minute late?" Applejack commented.

"We've never had a teacher this unfashionable, and that is quite saying something." Rarity added.

"I'll say he'll be the most interesting teacher we'll ever have." Sunset Shimmer commented when the bell rings and the class gets up to leave.

"I can't blame ya. My bike is pretty cool." Mister Bottle approached them.

"You saw us?" Fluttershy asked.

"From this window, yes." Mister Bottle answered. "And yes, it's all custom. Bet you wish you had a ride as cool as mine." He said to Rainbow Dash confidently, contending with her own sense of confidence. He takes his metal briefcase and opens the door. "C'mon, let's get to the lab."

"Sure thing, Mister Bottle." Twilight Sparkle saluted.

"Suck-up." Rainbow Dash muttered.

"I heard that." Mister Bottle flicks their chin at them as he holds the door open for the rest of class leaving. Soon, the girls leave the classroom in single-file as Mister Bottle eyes them on the way out.

Rainbow Dash was the last to leave, and she gives him a stern side-eye. "What're you looking at, star athlete?" he cheekily told her.

Rainbow Dash says nothing before leaving the classroom. Mister Bottle shuts the door behind him and leads them to the lab.


At the lab, Mister Bottle is giving the rest of the students a lecture while the girls set up a chemistry apparatus. "We don't know it, but chemical reactions take place every day, from within our bodies to the air around us. They range from just simply breathing to violent explosions…" he lectured to the class.

"Anyone else getting a weird reading on this Mister Bottle?" Rainbow Dash asked her friends.

"Is it because he's actually cool? I mean, he's got a bike you think is pretty neat." Pinkie Pie asked.

"It's not that neat." Rainbow Dash grumbled.

"Didn't you call it Aftermarket City?" Sunset Shimmer teased.

"You and me both, Rainbow Dash." Rarity added as she attaches tubing to the flasks.

"If it's about the shoes, you're not getting on this boat with me." Rainbow Dash said sternly.

"Oh, the teacher told you off. It happens all the time with you." Sunset Shimmer said for Rainbow Dash to give her another stern look. "Hehe… no offense?"

"Oh, how the tables have turned. None taken." Rainbow Dash snickered. "I guess it's that, out of all the students he picked to assemble this experiment of his happen to be seven of the most interesting students in school."

"I guess that is a rather strange coincidence." Rarity commented.

"It could just be a coincidence. Maybe his next victim'll be someone other than us." Twilight Sparkle said.

"You there!" Mister Bottle pointed to them. "I changed my mind. We're not doing it in here. Break it all down and take all the magnesium, a jar of hydrochloric acid, and the largest beaker you can find to faculty lot."

"Aw, what?!" Rainbow Dash whined. "We spent ten minutes on this thing!"

"I didn't ask for sass, so chop-chop!" Mister Bottle clapped his hands.

Rainbow Dash growls and turns to the apparatus and her friends. "See what I mean?"

"It is unusual for a teacher to change their mind about the experiment like this." Twilight Sparkle noted.

"Within the span of two hours, I've come from liking the new teach, to hating their guts." Rainbow Dash looks over her shoulder to see Full Bottle leading the class out of the lab.

"Remember to put all the flasks and beakers back safe and sound. We don't wanna break them." Twilight Sparkle advised.

"Yeah, yeah…" Rainbow Dash removes a rubber tube connecting a faucet and the apparatus.


Outside at the faculty lot, Full Bottle has the class gather around a vacant lot under the overcast; Rainbow Dash is holding a box of magnesium strips while Twilight Sparkle carefully pours concentrated hydrochloric acid into a large beaker. "One textbook example of a chemical reaction…" Mister Bottle presented a diagram of a science experiment in a textbook. "…is dropping a strip of magnesium in diluted hydrochloric acid."

"Mister Bottle?" Twilight Sparkle raised her hand. "Are you sure we should use hydrochloric acid this concentrated? We're supposed to dilute it at a ratio of—"

"I'm always sure. I'm Full Bottle: genius physicist." He answered with confidence to rival Rainbow Dash's own while putting on safety gloves. He snatches a roll of magnesium from Rainbow Dash. "So…" he hangs the roll over the beaker. "…shall start the experiment?" He gives a devilish smile before flipping down his safety glasses.

"Everyone, please, back away." Twilight Sparkle advises as the students back away. It was when they reach a safe distance Mister Bottle drops the roll into the beaker and makes a run for it. They all watch as bubbles foam from the liquid as is rises up, producing steam.

"As you can see, the moment the magnesium hits the hydrochloric acid, they immediately generate an exothermic reaction, emitting heat from the intense reaction." He said as the beaker rattles violently. "All this heat builds up in the mixture, and it all culminates in… well, you'll see." He smirks when he turns to the beaker.

Soon, the entire mixture bursts from the beaker, spraying chemicals all over the pavement. The students clap in amazement at the spectacle. "And the resulting byproducts are liquid magnesium chloride and hydrogen gas."

"This isn't really the standard procedure for such an experiment." Twilight Sparkle noted. "You've ignored countless safety rules!"

"If we've got our safety gloves and goggles on, then it's alright in my book." Mister Bottle turned to her.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you just wanted to blow something up." Rainbow Dash commented.

"I just wanted to make a good impression on you kids." Mister Bottle refuted when the beaker explodes into glass shards scattered around the lot.

Rarity quickly gets in the way of the students and generates diamond shields to protect them from the projectiles, and Rainbow Dash super-speedily pulls Mister Bottle away. After a moment, Rarity lowers her shields and everyone sees the shattered beaker base lying on the asphalt.

"Is everyone okay?" Sunset Shimmer asked her classmates.

Fluttershy is visibly shocked from the event that she's completely frozen from what just happened, and didn't even react when Applejack waves her hand over her eyes. "She'll be 'right." Applejack told Sunset Shimmer.

At that moment, Vice-Principal Luna comes to the parking lot and sees the students gathered around what was left of the experiment. "What's happening here?" she wondered as she looked around and sees the shattered beaker. "Who was responsible for this?" she sternly called for an answer. She then notices Rainbow Dash jogging back to the scene, holding a roll of magnesium. "Miss Rainbow Dash?" she raised her eyebrow at the girl.

"It wasn't me this time, honest! It was—" Rainbow Dash pleaded her innocence when Mister Bottle came to her side.

"Star athlete here was just helping me arrange a science experiment for the class." Mister Bottle stepped up. "Nobody else is responsible for this mess but me."

"You're the new substitute chemistry teacher, yes? If this is the result of an experiment, then we won't charge you for a replacement. Just be careful with the science materials next time." Vice-Principal Luna warned him.

As she walks away, Mister Bottle waves goodbye with Rainbow Dash looking at him. "Mister Bottle, thanks for standing up for me."

"Standing up for you? I just wanted to take credit for an explosion as cool as that. I don't want just anyone to take that from me." Mister Bottle chuckled, regaining Rainbow Dash's ire.

He then looks at the Geode necklace hanging from her neck, a long look before Rainbow Dash clutches it. "So, you're one of the superpowered students I've heard about."

"Yeah, what about it?" Rainbow Dash responded.

"Nothing." He looked over to Rainbow Dash's friends gathered with the class. "I thought it was pretty neat that this town have their own superheroes."

"What? You some kinda superhero buff?"

"You could say that." Mister Bottle gave a smirk. He steps forward to address the class. "I hope you all took notes, because we're going back to class." He told them. "You there." He points to the seven friends again. "Get some brooms and whatever to clean all this up."

"Yes, sir." They all sighed.

Mister Bottle leads the rest of class back to school, leaving the friends behind. "Rainbow Dash, I'd hate to agree with you, but Mister Bottle is a little off." Twilight Sparkle told her. "His gross ignorance of P.P.E., his eccentricity, I've noticed a weird fixation with annoying you, in particular…"

"Oh, and his sh—" Rarity was shushed by Applejack.

"No. We ain't continuing that." Applejack shook her head in disapproval.

"He saw our superpowers, and all he says is to clean up our mess!" Rainbow Dash complained. "Superheroes don't clean up their mess, the city does!"

"Rainbow Dash, we're not superheroes." Twilight Sparkle told her sternly. "We don't stop crime, we don't have villains to fight, and we use our powers for anything but all those listed!"

"Excuse me, but what kinda people save a camp from its control-freak counsellor, uncover a sabotage of a major motion picture, and save a mall from a giant woman?" Rainbow Dash argued.

"Actually, that last one was all Starl—" Pinkie Pie said for Applejack to put her mouth over her lips to stop the argument from escalating.

"Enough. The one thing we can all agree on is that this Mister Bottle's weird. We dunno why, but aside from this bout, he's harmless." Applejack stepped in.

"I still think we should take some caution around him. If being late gets us a whole hour of lab assist as punishment, I'd hate to see what he'll do for other misdemeanours." Sunset Shimmer added.

"Speaking of, why don't we get back to cleaning all this?" Fluttershy suggested.

"Let's be careful. This is concentrated hydrochloric acid, the kind supervillains dip hostages into." Twilight Sparkle cautioned as she hands everyone protective gloves.

"Supervillains, eh…?" Rainbow Dash went into thought as she turns back to the school, eyeing Mister Bottle talking to the students in class through a window.


After getting everything cleaned up in the next few minutes, the girls return to the lab to see Mister Bottle crossing his arms at the door and tapping his foot, as if impatiently waiting for them. "Oh, what now?" Rainbow Dash groaned.

"I dunno…" he steps aside to reveal a broken flask on the floor. "You tell me."

The girls are visibly shocked to see this. "But… we were all careful when we put everything away!" Twilight Sparkle stared at the shattered glass.

"This is impossible! Someone else must've done this!" Rainbow Dash said.

"When we returned to class, this was the first thing we saw." Mister Bottle gestured to the rest of their classmates.

"I can corroborate. I was the first one in." Micro Chips raised his hand.

"And the last to leave this room were you seven." Mister Bottle added.

"Mister Bottle, we didn't know who did it. Like Twilight said: we were all careful when we put away the equipment." Sunset Shimmer defended.

"Well, you weren't careful enough. If nobody's confessing, then all seven of you are staying behind for detention." Mister Bottle said.

"You can't do that! You don't have evidence we did it!" Twilight Sparkle argued.

"I'm a teacher: what I say goes." Mister Bottle insisted. "Star athlete, get a broom and clean this up!" he commanded Rainbow Dash, pointing to the glass shards.

"Yes, Mister Bottle." Rainbow Dash groaned. She gets a broom and starts sweeping, all while staring a hole into Mister Bottle.


After class, the girls go about their day, moodily thinking about their punishment after school. Soon, they all meet at the cafeteria for lunch. "This sucks! He sucks! Today sucks!" Rainbow Dash slams her lunch tray on their table.

"Lab assist for bein' a minute late, blowin' acid everywhere fer'n 'xperiment, and after-school detention for something we didn't do?!" Applejack complained. "Where'd they find this feller?!"

"It's almost like I'm back at Crystal Prep with what he puts us through." Twilight Sparkle added.

"He's like if old me if were a teacher." Sunset Shimmer commented.

"If that's the case, he's gotta have an ulterior motive for us." Rainbow Dash responded.

"Oh, forget I said anything." Sunset Shimmer groaned.

"Maybe he's a secret supervillain gauging our superpowers!" Rainbow Dash pondered.

"Rainbow, for—" Twilight Sparkle was immediately shushed.

"No, think about it! He showed up after an opening for a teacher came up, has a souped-up and probably tech-filled motorcycle, and keeps on picking on us." Rainbow Dash listed.

"He's not picking on us. I'm sure he has other victims by now." Sunset Shimmer said.

"Hey, were you girls talking about Mister Bottle?" a familiar young man's voice called them. They turn to the source and see Flash Sentry with a lunch tray.

"We were." Rainbow Dash said. "He's the worst, isn't he?"

"No way! He's awesome!" Flash Sentry denied with enthusiasm. "For third period physics, he pulled out his own tesla coils and played some old symphony with it."

"No, we mean, did he do some ridiculous punishment on anyone else? Like forcing you to ballet to demonstrate Newton's Laws of Motion?" Twilight Sparkle suggested.

"No, he's a cool teacher through-and-through." Flash Sentry said before the girls give him disapproving scowls. "Uh, except for what he did to you all." He scratched the back of his head awkwardly. "I gotta go, Sandalwood's waiting for me." He said before rushing away.

"See? It's only us he's targeting!" Rainbow Dash told Twilight Sparkle. "He's probably keeping us after school to poke and prod us; see how we tick!"

Everyone was shocked, confused, concerned, or a combination of all three at what Rainbow Dash suggested. Fluttershy just retracted under the table like a tortoise. "Rainbow Dash, as much as I don't want to indulge in your fantasies, I think you're onto something." Twilight Sparkle said.

"I am?"

"For the most part. Everything you pointed out, even if Mister Bottle's not a supervillain, he's clearly taken an interest in us…" she then puts her Geode in her palm. "…Or rather, our Geodes."

"If he's lookin't take 'em, we'll won't give 'em up without a fight!" Applejack said.

"If he does anything funny in detention today, he'll for sure get what he wants… the hard way!" Rainbow Dash cracked her knuckles.

"Are you suggesting we should beat up a substitute teacher?" Rarity asked.

"Only if he really is a supervillain like Rainbow Dash says." Twilight Sparkle said. "I just hope it doesn't come to that."

To be continued…