• Published 23rd Sep 2012
  • 917 Views, 5 Comments

The Mysterious Vanishing of the Celesti-O's - Chaodiurn



Twilight Sparkle becomes involved into a mysterious crime at her free Saturday, thanks to Pinkie Pie

  • ...
 5
 917

Chapter 2: CMC – Special Agents!

“I can't wait to get breakfast.”

“Me neither. I can't believe that we both ran out of supplies at the same time!”

“You know, Rarity disappointed me in this. She never failed to re-buy them in time. Doesn't she know that they are my favorite breakfast?”

“Yea, I’m sure she doesn't-”

“Hey, look! We're there!”

The light hoof steps of two fillies filled the empty streets of Ponyville as they charged to the breakfast-seller of their trust.

“Great! Let's just-”

“Wait! What are all those ponies are doing there?”

“Sweetie! Could you please let me finish just one sentence, too?”

“Eh, sorry. What were you saying?”

“Why is there a line of ponies standing before Sugarcube's?”

“That's what I just asked you, silly.”

“I know, but. Never mind, let's just get going, okay?”

For two fillies it had been a rather exiting start into another Saturday. Sweetie Belle was visiting her elder sibling in her boutique for the week-end as she had done it from time to time before. She really loved Rarity, and usually both of them enjoyed the time together, but this time lurked a shadow in the peaceful event. Sweetie Belle usually wasn't a filly that needed much for being happy. Only when it came to breakfast, especially Saturday-breakfasts, she wanted her Celesti-O's. In fact, she wanted them so badly that Rarity always bought a box of them before she arrived. So she did this time, too. At least she was clinging to have done it. She said that she must have lost them on her walk home or something, but Sweetie knew better. Rarity never lost something outside of her boutique.
Alas, it wasn't about to trust or not to trust her sister, this time only the result counted. Sweetie Belle was without her favorite cereals, and that was not accepted.
In reaction, she headed for the next place where she expected some of the fine cereals. She ran through half of Ponyville, to reach to estate of her dear friend Sweetie Belle, who was sitting at her breakfast as she was usually at this time. They had apples to share as they had always, and they were kind in offering since she was a close friend to Apple Bloom. But no, she wanted them.
Apple Bloom knew that Sweetie Belle's Saturdays always had to start with a cup of Celesti-O's, a glass of orange-juice and some cookies, so both of them went for a search in the rather big cellars.

But after a good thirty minutes in the dusty rooms, Sweetie Belle's hope laid shattered on the ground. They went back into daylight, up the stairs and out of the mansion. There they met Applejack, who was also searching something. Not something for breakfast, but Apple Bloom who had promised to help her get some apples down the trees right after breakfast. It was too late by now since the apples were collected in a barn right behind her already, but that wasn't the point.

Sweetie Belle wasn't in the mood to doom her friend for a problem that was only her thing. She stood for her friend, telling Applejack the story of the missed breakfast and her rush to Sweet Apple Acres. Applejack, being the kind pony she was, quickly got over her heat after getting an explanation that didn't sound as a creation of young minds, only willed to get away from work. She knew Apple Bloom and her friends could get really creative when it came to that.

Seeing no point in denying help for honest fillies, Apple Jack told her that Sugarcube’s was selling them. She was surprised, however, how fast Sweetie Belle was able to run off the farm, after she had been told about a solution for her problem.
She shook her head and turned back to Apple Bloom, determined to get back to daily business again. To her disappointment, the only thing that came into view was brown dust.

“E-excuse me, sir, could you please tell me why all those ponies are waiting here?” Sweetie Belle asked a random pony that stood in line, pulling Apple Bloom’s consciousness back into reality.

“Huh?” The stallion turned around. He seemed very bored, and his flank was dirty, probably from sitting on the ground. He faced the fillies, not changing his expression much.

“Well, I think they are all waiting for getting served. Seriously, today it's like there's no servant around at all. I didn't even saw ponies coming outta there with cakes, yet.”

Suddenly, Apple Bloom's mind was at full action again. “The Cakes are having problems at serving their costumers? Hey, maybe we could help them!”

Also, Sweetie Belle cheered up at the new opportunity for possibly getting a Cutie Mark. “That sounds great! Cutie Mark Crusaders: Servants!”

The stallion, however, wasn't as pleased. “Help, huh? Well, I think I heard that somewhere today already. If you meet a purple mare with stars at her flank, please tell her that she doesn't need to bring me my book anymore. Tell her that I gave up.”

“Let's go to the back-entrance. I'm sure we'll find Pinkie there. She surely will let us enter,” Apple Bloom said.

“For what are we waiting?”

For the second time this day the stallion saw self-promoted 'helpers' charge into the direction of Sugarcube's, ignoring his words completely.

--

The two crusaders rushed forward the building as fast as their tiny legs allowed them to. As they ran, both passed the lines of impatient waiting ponies, the entrance-door and even the small garden that was located at its left side. They crossed the building and the voices died down. And with they last bit of strength they reached to back-door. Sweetie Belle placed a hoof at the door to push it open, but got interrupted by her companion before she could move it only a single inch.

“Wait Sweetie!”

The Unicorn-foal turned her head around, a rather displeased expression in it.“Wait, what?”

“Twi is over there.”

Sweetie turned her head in search for approval into the direction where Apple's right foreleg was pointing. Indeed the announced mare came into her view. She was walking away from them, probably back to her library, given to the direction. Her head hang down low and the rest of her body didn't seem to be filled with more energy, either. Maybe she studied the whole night again or something.

“Should we say hello? Maybe she knows something about this mass.”

“I don't know, Apple Bloom. I think the Cakes could really need our help here.”

“If she knows something important we might could help even better! And if not we can still help them, won't take too long.”

Sweetie Belle placed a hoof on her face as her sister did so often when she had to work at week-ends. If this was how she felt in such moments, then she surely should do something to help her in the future.

“Fine, let's go.”

She heard the hoofsteps of Apple Bloom before she even finished her sentence. She didn't want to waste time when a possible cutie mark was around, but wasting even more time with staying around surely won't be helpful, either. The mare shook her head free of those silly thoughts and began to gallop towards the mare of interest, too.

“Twilight, hey, Twilight,” both fillies cried out loud, almost simultaneously.

The Unicorn's ears twitched. She knew those voices and turned her head around to get a look at the charging elements of disruption. However, she inhaled deeply to calm down. No need to release the fury lying her mood on helpless fillies.

“Hey there! How can I help you?”

“Hey Twilight,” Apple Bloom began, “do you know what's the matter with all those ponies waiting before Sugarcube's? They seem very impatient, and I couldn't make out much movement in the waiting line, either.”

Twilight sighed. Somepony had to ask her this question. Of course.

“Well, they are waiting for getting served and there are quite many costumers in there today, so it takes a bit longer than usually to get what you want. I'm sure they will be fine.”

“And why are there this many today? A sellout or something?” Sweetie Belle said.

Twilight shook her head no, “it's nothing like that. In the last night, all the Celesti-O's vanished from Ponyville and now the ponies need something to replace their breakfast.”

“Wait a minute,” Sweetie said, “you mean ALL the Celesti-O's in the whole town vanished?”

“Yes,” the unicorn said, “I'm afraid they are. Pinkie and I are going to Canterlot to do some research. Maybe we can get new ones, before everypony is running completely mad.
Sweetie Belle, is everything okay with you?”

The pale foal didn't look good, indeed. Her eyes were glassy and her face looked even paler than it already were with its white mane. She opened her mouth slowly, and began to form words without speaking them at first.

“This is the worst thing. Ever.”

Twilight only raised an eyebrow as she realized that Sweetie Belle truly was the sister of her dear friend Rarity.

“In that case the Cakes could really need our help!” Apple Boom cheered a bit too motivated of the fact that other ponies were in the need of help, “that surely will achieve us our Cutie Marks!”

“I actually don't think that you can go help them now.” Twilight said.

And with that, both ponies stood back on their hooves again, fully aware of her words now.

“Why can't we help them,” both said simultaneously, “we are good servants!”

Twilight placed a hoof at her neck, “it's not that. The Cakes just aren't there.”

“What do you mean, they aren't there? Don't there stand ponies in Sugarcube's?”

“Sure, but the only pony who is serving them is Pinkie Pie and while we're in Canterlot, Sugarcube's will be closed. I'm sorry girls, but you certainly can't do something here.”

The expressions of the foals fell down at this. They were so sure to gain a Cutie Mark this time! This wasn't fair.

Twilight on the contrary wasn't pleased the inability of acting. She let out the final sigh of the day, that much she was clear about herself, and turned away from the fillies to get back to her library and Spike.

“Anyways, I gotta go now. Princess Celestia has to be informed about our soon arrival. See you, girls.”

Apple Bloom waved a demotivated good-bye to her while Sweetie was simply lying on the hard ground.

“And what are we going to do now?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Well, the fact that the Cakes aren't around doesn't mean that we aren't able to help.” Sweetie Belle said in a determined voice.

“We can't run the whole place on our own, can we? Uh, maybe this will get us our Cutie Marks!”

Sweetie Belle denied that question with a common gesture. “No, but we can help the other ponies. They all want their Celesti-O's back, right?”

“Right!” Apple Bloom cheered.

“So if we bring them back to everypony then they all are happy again!”

“Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't 'bring them back' involve 'find them'?”

Sweetie Belle shook her head a wild yes as she started to jump up and down I where she stood,

“sure thing! That's a case for the Ponyville Investigative Service!”

Apple Bloom scratched her nose in confusion as she wasn't able to follow her friend.

“Ponyville Investigative Service?” She asked very curiously. There was no such thing around that she knew, or even heard of.

“Cutie Mark Crusaders: Special Agents!” Was everything she got as an explanation before Sweetie Belle galloped back the way they came from.

“Hey, wait for me! Where are you going?”

“Let me get that straight. You came here four hours early and woke me up only because your cereals are missing?”

“Yes!”

Scootaloo wasn't amused. It was summer, it was week-end and it was one of these days where she was allowed to sleep in the clubhouse. Perfect conditions for a long sleep, combined with a relaxed breakfast and if the day was going to be awesome, she may have scouted Rainbow Dash perform a new move in the cool morning-skies. But no, of course it shouldn't be. Seemingly a villain stole Sweetie Belle's Celesti-O's, and all the rest of them the filly could get in Ponyville somewhere with them.

“That's lame, Sweetie. Why you don't just eat an apple like Apple Bloom?”

“You want me to eat Apple Bloom?”

“What?” Scootaloo shook her head, “no! You just should simply eat an apple like Apple Bloom.”

“But were should I find an apple that is like Apple Bloom? Apple Bloom isn't an apple, after all. You know that she isn't an apple, right?”

The Pegasus rolled her eyes, “you know what, forget it. What do you have planned to do about this, again?”

“Cutie Mark Crusaders: Special Agents!”

“Yea, I caught that already when you trampled me out of bed.,” she sighed, “what do you mean?”

It was just in that moment, when an exhausted filly arrived at the club-house.

“Sweetie,” was discernible between heavy breaths, “ah had no idea that you can run that fast.”

“Apple Bloom!” Both answered synchronous as they rushed to a window.

“Come in, the briefing is just about to start!”

“Briefing? What briefing?” Scootaloo said, still in confusion.

It was nothing special that questions remained unanswered here and there, but sometimes it really was annoying. Instead, the door opened and Apple Bloom walked in.

“You still didn't say me what you have meant,” she said as she positioned herself on one of the comforting pillows.

Sweetie Belle placed herself between her dump-founded friends to start her speech.

“Twilight can't know that they aren't still in Ponyville, right? Maybe we can find them and get our Cutie Marks!”

“So you want us to run through Ponyville in search of cereals for getting our Cutie Marks?” Scootaloo summarized more for herself then for her friends.

“Ah don't know. Wouldn't Twilight have found them already?”

“What if she was wrong? Always double-check!” Sweetie Belle said excited.

Scootaloo frowned. Maybe it was a bit early for crusading yet, but they hadn't tried that out yet. And who knew when they would get another chance for it?

“Call me in,” she said, “can't become worse than skin-diving.”

Apple Bloom wasn't disinclined either, “I'm in, too. At least until we find another Kraken.”

Sweetie Belle beamed all over her face, as she jumped into the air to announce the challenge of the day with her rather powerful voice. They will fix this, she was sure about it.

“So, where are we going?” Scootaloo asked.

“To the community center,” Sweetie Belle said.

“The community center? What are we supposed to do there?”

“Yea, shouldn't we go back to Sugarcube's for investigations or something?” Apple Bloom added.

Sweetie Belle nodded, “yes, but before we can do that, we have to get support. Just trust your team leader.”

“Team leader?” Scootaloo said, “Who made you the team leader?”

“Well, it was my idea, after all. You were the leader of Rainbow's fan club and we didn't bothered you for it either. It's just fair.”

The Pegasus rolled her eyes, ”fine. But don't get used to it.”

“No time for arguing now. We're there.”

Desk Clerk was a pale earth pony who was unbeatable when it came to reception-working. Since she was a little foal, nopony was as good in greeting ponies as she was. Everyday when the postpony came to her house, she jumped down the stairs of her home with excitement and the pure will to greet the working pony with all her cheers. Once she even has been told that her house was the most-popular for postponies in whole Canterlot, only because of her!
She was able to remember the faithful day just as it was yesterday, when she decided to leave Canterlot. Ponyville was in the need for another receptionist at the community center, and they searched for a high-skilled pony that was ready to deal with challenging tasks every day. It was what she wished to become all her life. And the payment wasn't too bad, either. But that wasn't the point. Just one day before her leaving, all the postponies of her department threw a great party for her. It was one of the best days in her life.
She remembered how they all wished her to, “see Mayor Mare, please.”

Desk Clerk startled up as a high-pitched voice interrupted his deep state of concentration.

“Did anypony say something?” He asked, as he wasn't able to see anypony standing on the other side of his highly organized desk.

“I said we have to talk to Mayor Mare immediately,” the same voice said.

Blood rushed into her head. She wasn't allowed to drift away at work, no matter of time or day.

“Where are you?”

“Down here.”

The earth pony leaned forward to get a better view on her new guests.
Three little fillies, providing one of every race, stood in the entrance-hall, right in front of her desk.

“How can I help you, my little ponies?”

“For the third time, we have to see Mayor Mare! This is really important and can't wait.”

“I am afraid that the mayor isn't available right now. We have regular meet-and-greets for such issues.”

“This isn't such a regular issue! We are from the Ponyville Investigative Service and this is part of an ongoing investigation.”

They truly didn't lie about the exacting piece of work. Even the foals sounded more serious then most the customers in her old job.

“Ponyville Investigative Service? I've never heard of that before.”

“Now you have. Please, could you announce us now?”

This was odd. They were foals, but it didn't seemed like they were here just to play games and waste time of working ponies. Her receptionist-sense told her that this was serious.

“I will. Follow me, please.”

“Thank you.”

Desk Clerk left her desk and turned to a wooden door that separated the entrance-hall from a corridor which let to several meeting-rooms.
There weren't many chances of walking around in this job, but when they came, she quite enjoyed it. After a second of stretching she started walking, leading the little agents the path, who were following her mumbling.

“Sweetie Belle, how did you-”

“As I said, just trust your leader.”

“Miss Mayor Mare, you have guests who claim to be important.”

“We don't claim to be important, we are important!”

“Shut it, agent Scootaloo.” Sweetie Belle said in a very serious tone.

“Come in.”

Desk Clerk opened the door with her hoof, making not a single sound while turning the door-knob. The four ponies entered Mayor Ponies personal office. Mayor Mare looked up from several sheets of requests from several local organizations, money-issues mostly.

“Ah, the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Thank you, Desk,” she said as she re

“No problem, miss.” With that, the earth pony left the room, closing the door as silently as she had opened it.

“What can I do for you?” She asked kindly.

“We need your help, Mayor Mare. Someone stole the Celesti-O's from Sugarcube's Corner!”

The political pony shook her head in a slightly disbelieve. “Are you sure about this? There hasn't been any crime for more than five years in Ponyville by now.”

“Well,” Sweetie said, “we aren’t, but also there aren't many alternatives to this theory. We would have asked Pinkie Pie about it, but she was out of town before we even got knowledge about it.”

“And for what do you need my help?”

“When we spoke to Twilight, she didn't say anything about clues. Maybe we can find out what happened if we take a look at their stock.”

“If you want to do so, you should ask the Cakes to let you in, instead of me, don't you think?” Mayor Mare said. She wasn't quite sure what to think about this.

“That's the point. They aren't in Ponyville, so nopony is at Sugarcube's right now. However, we can't get inside, because a bunch of ponies is blocking the entrance-doors because they want their breakfast. We need you to get them away from there, so we can start our crusa- I mean investigations. They won't listen to us, but since you are the mayor of Ponyville, they surely will obey, I mean listen, to you. Please?”

Mayor Mare felt her jaw fell open. Did just a pony that still went to school asked her to help with criminal investigations without failing to keep at the point and making sense?

“I-I don't,” she wasn't sure what to say at all.

“Please! If you need more motivation, than you should know that the ponies don't seem to be satisfied at all. If we don't fix this quickly, only Faust knows what could happen. Maybe they even will lay down their work because no good breakfast is around! Think what this could mean for the reputation of Ponyville!”

While the whole room felt completely quiet to her words, Sweetie Belle deeply hoped that it made any sense what she just had said. Beside all those fancy fashion-books, crime novels where the only other kind of books one could find in Rarity's Carousel Boutique and as far as she remembered, this was how the agents got they bosses to sign they plans. Or wasn't it?

“Alright,” Mayor Mare said hesitantly, “we should go and get this cleaned up as fast as possible. I will take care of the ponies, and you will go and do your investigations. I don't think that Pinkie Pie should have something against it, as long as you don't crush anything.”

It was! “We won't,” she said as calm as possible.

The mayor of Ponyville stood up, giving a last look at the grayish mouse opossum she had received from Princess Celestia herself for being such a careful representative of the little town.

“I think he will be fine, mayor. It won't take long.”

“I think you're right. Well, then.”

The mare and the three fillies left the office and made they way to the local bakery.

“Did you understood anything she said, Apple Bloom?” Scootaloo whispered her other friend.

“Nope, but ah think we're going to Sugarcube's now.”

“Please pay attention, everypony,” Mayor Mare said with her leader voice, what was basically like the royal voice, just a little bit less powerful, “Sugarcube's Corner will be closed for an unknown duration due to renovations. Please go home and enjoy your week-end. Thank you.”

A wave of “what” summarized the general reaction to this announcement pretty well, but after the mayor-mare made herself clear another three times, the ponies started to leave the place behind. Stallions and mares alike left the place of sweet temptations, and with every pony that left the view on the entrance-door became clearer, until it finally stood closed in front of an empty place, ready to grant admission to every pony who was in need of a fresh cake. Or three freshly graduated special agents, minus the graduated.

“That was great Mayor Mare! I didn't know that you can do that!” Scootaloo said.

The earth-mare blushed, “I don't have to use it often, and to be honest, I don't really like it either.”

“Alright,” Sweetie Belle said, “let's get in there.”

“But remember, my little ponies, don't crush something.”

“As I said, we won't. Right girls?”

“Right!” Both of her friends responded cheerful.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders entered the house of Mr. and Mrs. Cake. With they first step, they were greeted by cakes and candies of all shapes and colors. They laid silently behind their glasses, waiting for a hungry customer.
However, Scootaloo wasn't pleased by this. How often had she dreamed of a free run through Sugarcube's, eating everything and as much as she wants? Sure, she was here to find something out about thieves who stolen cereals, but would the Cakes really miss that little strawberry-pie? There were so many..

“Scoots, are you coming or what?”

“Ye ye, right behind you!” Let's just pretend that this was a yes.

“Why are you so addicted to those cereals, any ways?” It was hardly believable with all those yummy things around. The banana-splits, with they black chocolate..

“Did you every tried them?” Sweetie Belle said.

“Well, no. Why should I?”

“Because they are the most delicious thing a tongue could taste in the early morning, silly!”

“Right after a fresh apple, of course,” Apple Bloom corrected.

“No!”

“What do you mean 'no'? How could they be better then a sweet, tasty, juicy apple?”

“Simply by being more tasty then them! I admit that your apples are the best, Apple Bloom, but they are what they are. Apples. The Celesti-O's on the other hand are a sweet composition of fruits, carefully picked by Princess Celestia herself, and then mixed up with harvests of highest quality, to form little rings which are sparkling in every color when they meet fresh milk. It's like putting all the cakes in this room together into one giant cake.”

“You mean, like a sonic rainboom of taste?” Scootaloo said curiously.

“Exactly!” Sweetie Belle confirmed.

Scootaloo began to regret that she never tasted them., “okay, where is this storeroom again?”

“That's the spirit! Follow me!”

“That's the crime scene?” Scootaloo asked disappointed.

“I guess it is,” Sweetie Belle said.

Apple Bloom was the first to enter the empty room “It looks.. nice.”

Scootaloo followed her, “are crime scenes supposed to look nice?”

“I don't think so. Hey, before we enter the crime-scene we have to put on our socks!”

“Socks?” Scootaloo said, “but I never wear socks. Why should I now?”

“It's rule number two of being a special agent, Scoots. Always wear socks at a crime-scene.”

“That's a stupid rule! And what's rule number one then?”

Rule number one. Sweetie Belle always had her problems with remembering first things first. She scratched her chin with a hoof, trying to stimulate memory-strings.

“I guess rule number one is to never let suspects stay together.”

“What? Where have you picked up such nonsense? Did Rarity crochet them on a pillow or something?”

“No!”

“How about some help, then?” Apple Bloom said, interrupting the sharp dispute of her friends.

After Sweetie Belle entered the room, all three Cutie Mark Crusaders stood in the dusty storeroom. Shelves stood empty at the walls, collecting dust in the pathetic try to escape the eternal void of their being; to fight the restless burning in they planks. The very basic meaning of they existence was taken away from them.
They were empty. Not a single box stood in them.
The rest of the wasn't more interesting in a single point. A single chair stood in the middle of the room, seemingly as tortured as the shelves since nopony would ever sit down in this position.

“Chair!” Scootaloo screamed, as she spotted the lonely fitment.

“Don't you dare to sit on that chair!” Sweetie Belle said, determined to hold her back.

“But-but, can't you hear how he's screaming for me?” She begged.

“I don't care for his emotions,” Sweetie Belle said, “with his placement in this room, he became an evidence, and an evidence is supposed to stay unharmed until the case is closed.”

Scootaloo crossed her front-legs in denial and sat down on the hard, cold floor.

Her eyes crossed down the chair and over the ground. Suddenly, she forgot about the denied meeting with this beautiful chair, as something unusual caught her attention.

“Hey, look, there are water-drops on the ground.”

“Water-drops?” “Sweetie Belle asked.

“Do you thing that there are holes in the ceiling?” Apple Bloom said.

“Either that, or our thieve worked in a rainy night. Good job, Scoots.”

Apple Bloom went back to her wall. While the other two were arguing as always, she had examined already nearly half of the room. It was dusty and seemed rarely used. However, she found the imprints of some heavier boxes on some of the shelves. The rest of the room didn't seem very suspicious at all. There were no secret doors in the walls, and only some hoofprints on the ground.

“This is a dead end,” she said after searching under the shelves themselves, unsuccessful.

“It can't be! If there happened something, it must have changed something. The water-drops can't be our only find.”

Apple Bloom kicked the chair, to let out her frustration. If you lived at a farm with Apple Jack and Big Macintosh, you learned fast that kicking things was the most productive way to get rid of bad emotions.

“We will never get our Cutie Marks that way.”

However, Scootaloo didn't care much about this problem right now. “Is that chair supposed to be doing what it is?”

“What? Why should I care for,” she cut herself off, as she gave a stare at the chair. It stood still in the oddest angle a stair could.

Suddenly, the door felt close and one of the shelves began to move. All of the three fillies moved away from the chair instinctively, but it was too late. One shelf moved itself into the wall and began to creep along it, only to reveal a small room behind it, which was lightened up with several candles. It wasn't big, but every inch of it was well used – boxes in every size filled it to the ceiling.

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo stood both stunned in front of the sudden revelation, while Apple Bloom felt the rush of adrenaline in her blood.

“I found them, I found them!” She cheered, while jumping around the chair. Maybe this time they crusading wasn't doomed with a dead end, after all.