• Published 11th Nov 2022
  • 347 Views, 6 Comments

Honey's Hearth's Warming Tale - Jmaster49



A mare gets help from Lemon Hearts and Twinkleshine to woo a stallion before Hearth's Warming.

  • ...
3
 6
 347

Sweet And Metallic

The next day, Tungsten Wolfe would have one of his first days off for the holidays. As he got ready to leave his home for the day, he heard some carolers outside of his window and started to idly hum along to the tune as he brushed his teeth.

“Hm-hm-hm…’tis the season…hm-hm-hm…gimme a reason…aw-yeah-yeah!”

Well, it was more akin to that of a small singing solo than mere humming. Regardless, the guardsstallion had found himself at a loss for what to do as soon as he stepped outside into the snowy world of Canterlot. Clad in a red winter coat, he paused as soon as he stepped outside.

“...Now what in the heck am I doin’ today?”

Indeed. This stallion had been so entrenched in his work that he was genuinely stumped as to how to go about a day in which he had some free time to himself. The poor guy had to take out a list just to figure out what he should do.

“Let’s see…I’ve already gone gift shopping,” he muttered as he pointed at his list, and continued down each line. “I’ve already done my workout and practiced my horn. Hmm…maybe I should take a patrol--er, walk. A simple walk.”

Tungsten sighed to himself as he put his list away. Fully aware of how boring his life actually was, he closed his door and started walking around the city…

However, his lamentation wouldn’t last.

“Tungsten! Hey, Tungsten!” one of the carolers, a young unicorn stallion, approached him while running out of breath. “Care to sing a few verses with us?”

“Uh…I dunno,” Tungsten took a step back with a nervous smile on his face, “You might wanna pick somebody who ain’t totally tone-deaf.”

“No, no! I just heard you! You’re amazing!” the stallion practically begged him to join in, “C’moooon! You’re off-duty today, right? Have some fun with us!”

Unable to resist the request of a nice civilian, Tungsten eventually caved with a sigh, then a smile. “Alright, Nebula. What are we singin’?”

Overjoyed, the unicorn stallion--whose full name was Atomic Nebula--got behind Tungsten and started pushing him towards the other carolers. “Yes! We’re gonna be singing, Carol Of The Bluebells’! You know it, don’t you?”

“Uh…kinda?” he admitted with a half-hearted smile as he looked at the group of caroler ponies. Some of them were visibly excited to see him while others rolled their eyes, clearly not expecting much from a guardspony who usually kept his mouth shut.

“Alrighty!” Nebula stood in front of the group and levitated a conductor’s stick, “And-a one! And-a two!”

Everyone started singing together in unison, and it was a bit difficult for Tungsten to keep up…

“Hear the bells as they ring…”
“Tis the season for giving…”
“Love thy neighbor, show your heart…”
“For Hearth’s Warming we must do our part…”

Tungsten stumbled over the first few lines, until…

“I don’t need no gifts!”
“I don’t need no doves!”
“Just be yourself baby!”
“Gimme all your love!”

“Whoo! Come on now, ya’ll, sing it!”

Every other caroler--and Nebula--stopped dead in their tracks and stared at Tungsten with wide eyes and gaping mouths as if he had just committed a crime. His soulful voice completely clashed with the delicate, artistic tone that they were going for.

“Uh…” Tungsten opened his eyes and realized that all eyes were on him. “...Oh…did I get carried away? I’ll just--”

“No way!” Nebula halted his role as conductor just to run up to Tungsten and praise him. “Your voice is amazing! We could really use you on our squad for when we head to regionals and compete against other choirs.” He turned to look at his fellow cast members, “How about it, guys?”

Nebula got no answer. The dozen carolers were too busy staring at Tungsten in disbelief. A few of them started to mutter about how it would be a good idea, while some of them detracted--stating that it’d be too much work to fit him in the routine at this point.

Tungsten could sense the less-than-ideal aura from the crowd and decided to remove himself for the time being. “...Yeah, I’ll let ya’ll discuss that among ya’llselves. Don’t stress over me, alright?” he said as he turned to keep walking. “Happy Hearth’s Warmin’.”

“Aw, wh--” Nebula looked on in disappointment as his idol left down the road. All he could do from that point was sigh and trot back over to his position as conductor to catch his choir’s attention. “Alright, listen up! From the top, everyone! Let’s go!”

Tungsten sighed as he walked away, covering his face with one of his hooves. “Can’t believe I just did that. Guess I ain’t choir boy material. Should probably stick to trombone…”

“Talking to yourself, soldier?” a feminine, yet husky voice called out to him from nearby.

“...?”

Tungsten turned to see a dark blue pegasus mare with a jet black mane done up in a ponytail, pink eyes--one of which was covered by an eyepatch, and a naval mine for a cutie mark. She was also wearing a jet black overcoat and smoking a cigar. The wrinkles in her face indicated that she was much older than Tungsten--by at least one generation.

“Ma’am,” Tungsten saluted her.

“Psssh. We’re off-duty,” she replied, rolling her eyes, “There’s no need for that, Wolfe. How are you?”

“Just fine. Though, had a bit of a mishap with the choir back here,” he tilted his head in the direction of the caroler ponies that had resumed their usual singing routine.

The mare nodded. “Yeah, I heard everything. Your voice is somethin’ else, you know that?”

“Sometimes I wish I became a singer,” he chuckled, “But this job is far more important.to me. Know what I mean, Miss Nero?”

2nd Lieutenant Nero “Depth” Charge was a retired commander of the Equestrian Navy. Specializing primarily in dealing with threats from underwater before they could reach the shore.

“Yeah, yeah of course,” she replied as she blew smoke from her lips. “Hell, I wanted to be a nurse, but that didn’t quite work out. But what I’m sayin’ is that you should value your time, boy. You ain’t gonna be young forever.”

Tungsten paused and glared at her with a flat, unamused expression. “Okay, hold on, Miss Nero. Where in Cerberus’ foot did that come from?”

“Boy, you don’t think I’ve noticed your schedule?” Nero continued, “You work so hard for your post. I get it. But don’t end up slaving away at a position that’ll leave you old, alone, and ugly like me.”

“Look, ma’am, for the record, I ain’t gonna just turn in my armor tomorrow. My crew and I are the only ones who can do what we do.”

“I’m not saying give up your rank tomorrow, boy. Just…don’t be afraid to stop and smell the roses. Spend time with those who care about you. You’ve got too much to live for at your age. Understand?”

Tungsten ruminated on her words for a moment. Was it possible that he was too devoted to his position? After all, this was his first real vacation since…last Hearth’s Warming.

“...yea, I think I understand, ma’am.”

Nero sighed with relief, then offered a suggestion. “Why don’t you head on to the upcoming gala? I’m sure you’d have plenty of options for dates, given how handsome you are. Shame I’m not 20 years younger,” she chuckled to herself, then started coughing as a result of her smoking.

Normally, he would’ve asked if she was okay, but he knew Nero well in that she smoked often in order to ward off the demons of her past, so he remained silent on that front. Instead, he focused directly on her question.

“...Date? Me? I dunno…I ain’t really got anybody in mind,” he answered honestly while rubbing his hoof against the side of his head.

Nero sighed. “Ah…well, I’m sure it’ll come to you eventually. For now, I need to keep shopping for my grandcolts. They look up to you, ya know. Don’t let ‘em down by becoming like me, alright?” she said with an ironic laugh towards herself as she trotted away.

“I’ll certainly do my best not to, ma’am,” Tungsten waved as she left, but then, something caught his attention. With a flick of his ear, he listened closely…

“No, Mango! Don’t mess with the beehive!”

Tungsten leapt into action and hurried over to the scene--his hooves rapidly crunching the snow beneath his brisk gallop until he stopped near a tree.

Beneath the tree, a teal unicorn filly clad in a thick purple coat and wool hat was pouting as she looked up at her calico cat. “Come on, Mango! Argh…where’s the beekeeper lady when you need her?””

Tungsten relaxed as soon as he saw the nature of the situation. A simple, yet classic cat that was stuck in a tree. But this was especially dangerous due to how close the cat was to a beehive that was also in the tree.

“I can get her down for ya. Hang on…”

But this was no ordinary beehive…

ZAP!

“REEEER!” the cat hissed as it backed away further into the tree.

“...they’re flash bees,” the filly muttered with a huff, “I’m never gonna get her down at this rate.”

‘Damn, this ain’t good.’ Tungsten thought to himself. If he approached this the wrong way, the poor filly’s cat could be stung, electrocuted, or electrically stung!

“I ain’t no expert on bees,” he muttered under his breath, “If only there was someone who was…” That’s when he remembered… “Wait a sec, did you mention somethin’ about a beekeeper?”

“Mm-hmm. She should live around here somewhere but I don’t wanna leave Mango behind…”

Tungsten was prepared to take control of the situation. “Alright, tell ya what. You go get her, and I’ll stay here and watch your cat for ya.”

“Alright, mister,” the filly stood up, knowing she could trust one of the Royal Guard. “I’ll be right back.”

And with that, she scampered off…

…and returned with a certain mare five minutes later. “Okay, mister! I found her!”

Tungsten turned his head to see Honey Lodestar with her beekeeping supplies being pulled in a wagon behind herself. As soon as he laid eyes on her, he recognized her color scheme. “Ah, I remember you. You’re the one that makes all that good honey we have in our rations.”

Honey’s heart began to race upon seeing Tungsten. “...Oh…uh…y-yah…” But her focus was then immediately drawn to the cat that was essentially being held hostage by the electrical bees. “...shoot. Okay, we’ll need to be careful here. Flash bees are very aggressive.”

“Alright, then what’s the plan?” Tungsten asked as he looked up into the tree.

With her focus entirely upon the safety of both the cat and the bees, Honey felt no anxiety around Tungsten for the time being.

“I’ll climb up and hit ‘em with some smoke to calm ‘em down,” she explained her plan with an authoritative tone, “Once I bring the beehive down, you get the cat down. Got it?”

“Understood,” Tungsten replied with a nod. Receiving and carrying out orders was his usual MO, so he didn’t mind following Honey’s lead.

As described, Honey would first climb the tree with her beekeeping smoker clenched tightly between her jaws. Scarily enough she wasn’t using any of her protective gear!

This caused the filly to shiver in place as she watched Honey climb the tree. “W-wait…don’t beekeepers need a big, burly suit that keeps them from getting stung?!”

“...They do, don’t they? Guess this mare is an expert at her job,” Tungsten commented, noting her honeycomb cutie mark.

And he was correct. As soon as Honey got up to the beehive, and sprayed it with smoke, the largest bee--the queen bee--flew out of the hive to speak with her.

“...Now she’s talking to them?” the filly gasped, “That’s so cool!”

Whatever she said, it must have worked. Honey grabbed ahold of the beehive and took it down with her to her wagon. “Alright. The bees are out of the way. It’s far too cold for them out here anyway. You’re up, Tungsten.”

“Alrighty,” the stallion replied as he trotted up to the tree and climbed it.

“I’m so sorry about all this,” the filly apologized profusely, “I didn’t think she’d run off like that. I think the bees must’ve spooked her.”

“It’s okay,” Honey replied while patting the foal on her head, “The flash bees get really angsty around wintertime. It’s my job to get them to a safe place where they won’t freeze.”

“That’s so awesome!” the foal squealed, then turned to the tree, “But I hope Mr. Sten can get Mango down. She’s just like the flash bees--she gets very…angy around this time too.”

“Yeah…that’s why I never tried to own a cat,” Honey muttered to the filly, “You’ve got my respect, that’s for sure.” On the inside however, her mind was on a completely different page. ‘Please be okay, Tungsten…’

Luckily, she wouldn’t have to worry for too long. Tungsten reached into his coat and pulled out some bits of dried cat food. The calico mewled and immediately followed him without so much as a hiss or a scratch!

“Woah!” the filly raced towards him as he carried her cat down from the tree. “The last time she got stuck in a tree, she nearly left the rescue ponies in the hospital! What’s your secret, sir?”

Tungsten leaned his head forwards, allowing the cat to pounce off of him and into the filly’s grasp. “I’ve done this for years as a rescue operator myself, kiddo. A cat up a tree is a walk in the park for me.”

“Thank you so much!” the filly praised their efforts, “You both work super well together.” With that, she turned and started walking her cat back home. “Come on, Mango. Time to get your flea collar on.”

Honey smiled as she left and bid her goodbye. “Get home safely now. You don’t want your mother to get worried.”

“I will!”

Tungsten turned to Honey and asked, “Oh? You know her?”

“That’s Prism Jewel,” she explained, “Her father’s a coal miner and her mom stays at home to watch her. Though lately, her mother’s been feeling ill, so I’ve been bringing them fresh honey so they can make her some tea to soothe her throat.”

“Well that’s nice of ya,” he replied with a nod and a smile, “Goin’ out of your way like that for others. I dig it.”

Honey’s confident outer shell started to crack as soon as Tungsten complimented her. “O-oh…thanks. I appreciate that. And you’ve done a lot to keep us safe here…so thank you, sir.”

“Hey, it ain’t no problem--” Tungsten paused mid-sentence and took a closer look at the mare. “Wait a tick…I remember ya now. That’s right, you was one of the ponies I saved from that fire during Tirek’s attack a few years ago. Is everythin’ alright now, miss?”

Honey was relieved to hear that he remembered her, which aided her in speaking with him more clearly. “Y-yeah…we’re all good now. We’ve got a new home and everything. The name’s Honey Lodestar. And…” She idly dragged one of her hooves in the snow below. “...it’s because of you that we’ve never had to worry about our safety anymore. So I wanna properly thank you for all that you’ve done.”

“...really? You ain’t gotta do all that, Ms. Lodestar,” Tungsten insisted, “Just doin’ my job, ya feel?”

But Honey refused to accept that as an answer. “...no. No way. The Royal Guard doesn’t get enough appreciation and I want to show you how I feel…” Her cheeks flushed red as she turned her head to the side. “...if that’s okay with you.”

While he didn’t quite comprehend her feelings, Tungsten was more than willing to give a citizen his time. If she wanted to show her appreciation, then who was he to deny her that right?

“Alrighty then,” he agreed to her terms with a smile, “Lead the way, Miss Honey.”

“...!” Honey’s entire face turned red as she pranced in place, hooves crunching the snow. “O-okay…follow me to my please, place. Er, my place--please!” She turned and started to hastily trot down the main road.

All the while, Tungsten was completely oblivious.

‘...must be super cold if her face is getting like that. Better make sure she gets home safely.’